Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine and the Power of Words

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Commisar123

(Just a quick warning mild spoilers for Catherine hear)  

I don’t want to get into the discussion of games as art, what I want to talk about is the power of fiction and words on society’s perception of the world. Things like Watchmen, Women at Point Zero, District 9, Lost Battalions, and McMafia really changed the way I look at the world and my responsibilities as a member of the global community. Society changing works are rare things indeed. They need to successfully convey a point and completely upend a person’s point of view without coming across as overtly preachy or chastising.

So I just finished Catherine and got the true lovers ending. It is revealed in the ending that Erika is actually transgender. I really didn’t know what to make of this at first and I didn’t really get a good grasp on it until me and my friend talked about it on our podcast, which can be found right here for the interested though the episode containing this discussion is not up yet http://nerfd.hipcast.com/rss/nerfd.xml.       

The great thing about Erika is basically that she is a normal person. Everyone seems comfortable talking with her and being friends with her. This positive and not overly emphasized portrayal is really a great thing. Catherine accomplishes this wonderfully by making the player care about a character before revealing that they are transgender. The player is forced to make a very real decision to accept Erika for who she is.   

My hope is that with games like this and Bioware’s Mass Effect and Dragon Age series they can not only portray gay and transgender characters in a positive light, but also a society and environment in which these people are excepted into the fabric Games may or may not be art but they can influence the way people think about themselves and their society.  

What do you guys think?  Agree, disagree?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Although Watchmen is, ( and my opinion agrees,) one of the greatest books of all time, saying it changed your perception on the world seems purely idiotic. However, I feel you didn't mean it how it read.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

There's a transgendered character in Catherine? That's pretty great, actually.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Commisar123
    @xaLieNxGrEyx: The pure fear of the Soviet Union and nuclear war that was conveyed in the pages of that book made me look at that time in a whole new light
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aronman789

I would love to see a game with a big burly though man being constantly hit on by women, only to have to tediously repeat that he's gay every time. Also he doesn't hit on you every 5 seconds like in DA2, you're just bros.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Winger

Yeah, so apparently Erika and Vincent were friends back in school, among other characters. Definitely seemed like a very acceptive society or group of people, there were very subtle hints about it but you didn't know anything about her being a man until the end.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ley_Lines
    @Napalm: It isn't really that special, there are a lot of transgender characters in anime. In a new super hero anime that's really popular called "tiger and bunny" one of the main super heroes is transgender.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaikohBlade

Erika was an interesting character, it was quite shocking to find out the truth! Good job Atlus for being so sneaky.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @Rey_Leone said:
    @Napalm: It isn't really that special, there are a lot of transgender characters in anime. In a new super hero anime that's really popular called "tiger and bunny" one of the main super heroes is transgender.
    Catherine is a game though. That's the context I'm speaking of.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Daroki

@Rey_Leone said:

I don't remember Fire Emblem revealing that he's transgender.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ley_Lines
    @Daroki:  Explicitly maybe not, but he refers to himself as one of the girls and it's telling that you knew exactly who I was talking about. Maybe he will have a very special episode.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daroki

@Rey_Leone said:

@Daroki: Explicitly maybe not, but he refers to himself as one of the girls and it's telling that you knew exactly who I was talking about. Maybe he will have a very special episode.

Tiger and Bunny's been one of my favorite anime from last season, so if it's telling you that I enjoy the show too then you're spidey senses are dead on.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

she's the best, atlus is the best

the worst part is I didn't even pick up on it until the true lovers ending, and I am transgendered! O:

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Napalm said:
    There's a transgendered character in Catherine? That's pretty great, actually.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says

Movies have been doing this for years, I guess it would be cool if video games did too but the problem is games are often meant to be fantasy and an escape from reality. I can't feel real emotion or have a life changing experience when I spend the rest of the 8 hour game shooting down police helicopters.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Transgendered, huh? I haven't seen the true lovers ending myself yet, but the game hinted at it to where I had heavy suspicions. That's... Kind of cool, actually. Not too many subjects like that in games, and they approached it well (from what I've seen so far. Again, haven't seen true lovers).

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm
    @Laketown said:

the worst part is I didn't even pick up on it until the true lovers ending, and I am transgendered! O:

You're transgendered? This is actually better than Catherine having a transgendered character. I think that should be a testament to something.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Yeah, it was a pretty awesome revelation.  It's handled about as well as I could have possibly hoped for, too.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Napalm said:
    @Laketown said:

You're transgendered? This is actually better than Catherine having a transgendered character. I think that should be a testament to something.
    Why?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm
    @FluxWaveZ: Am I not allowed to celebrate and view diversity of our population as a good thing, or something?
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Animasta

@Napalm said:

@Laketown said:

eh, I get what your saying but it sucks so I wouldn't want to be celebrated for it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Napalm said:
    @FluxWaveZ: Am I not allowed to celebrate and view diversity of our population as a good thing, or something?
    How did you imply that from what I asked? All I asked was why should her being transgendered be a testament to something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.