Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Should I bother picking up Catherine at a cheap price?

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AsperGamer

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AsperGamer

Catherine is cheap on Playasia this week and I was wondering what the general consensus of the game was and looking for a feel of whether I should part with my $20 or not. It received very decent reviews across the board, so it must have something going for it. It only got one bad review from some obscure website that probably doesn't matter. It has always had me slightly intrigued and somewhat interested.

I do like Japanese games a lot, specifically JRPG, but this seems something of an odd duck. Can anyone give me a succinct analysis of what this game involves? Is it a puzzle game or is it something far more than that?

Opinions appreciated.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

On one hand it is a unique game with an entertaining story. On the other hand I didn't like playing it and the story falls apart. Still support Atlus and get it. It's an interesting game.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marcsman

It's unique. But the story got bad real quick. The "dream mazes" were kinda neat. I would pay no more than $15 for it. The actual gameplay is Q-Bert on acid ( best description I could think of)

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AsperGamer

@Phatmac said:

On one hand it is a unique game with an entertaining story. On the other hand I didn't like playing it and the story falls apart Still support Atlus and get it. It's an interesting game.

I am very inclined to support Atlus. I do have a significant number of their games.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By NoobSauceG7

You should. It is a fun game!

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By neurotic

@AsperGamer said:

It only got one bad review from some obscure website that probably doesn't matter.

Yeah, fuck those guys :P

It's a block puzzle game with a few social sim elements and an interesting enough story that goes on for a bit longer than it should. The characters, save a couple, are likeable but the puzzle gameplay is hard (even on Easy) and gets a little boring. Up to you really. I thought it was fine.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Phatmac said:

On one hand it is a unique game with an entertaining story. On the other hand I didn't like playing it and the story falls apart Still support Atlus and get it. It's an interesting game.

Yep. The game is worth seeing but I never enjoyed actually playing it.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AsperGamer

@Neurotic said:

@AsperGamer said:

It only got one bad review from some obscure website that probably doesn't matter.

You win the prize for actually reading the entire post! I wondered if the fish would bite ;)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

It is worth seeing the game, less playing through it.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Seroth

I personally think the best thing about Catherine is the multiplayer... but most people I talk to about it think I'm joking when I say Catherine has a multiplayer mode. :(

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vikingdeath1

Definitely a fun experience! Especially for cheap!

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By djou

Definitely. I bought a copy for $20 and its worth that price. I was also inclined based on all the reviews and recommendations. One thing I noticed that was not mentioned in any press is that the game has an unusual pace. There is a whiplash between slow sections (the dating sim parts) with frustrating rage quits (the puzzle pyramid parts.) I totally didn't anticipate this and never ended up finishing the game because of it (although I found it satisfying and engaging and plan to go back and see how the story ends.) Worst case scenario if its not for you is that you can trade it in for a small loss.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AsperGamer

@djou said:

Definitely. I bought a copy for $20 and its worth that price. I was also inclined based on all the reviews and recommendations. One thing I noticed that was not mentioned in any press is that the game has an unusual pace. There is a whiplash between slow sections (the dating sim parts) with frustrating rage quits (the puzzle pyramid parts.) I totally didn't anticipate this and never ended up finishing the game because of it (although I found it satisfying and engaging and plan to go back and see how the story ends.) Worst case scenario if its not for you is that you can trade it in for a small loss.

Sounds like I would benefit greatly from using a walkthrough to get past the tough sections. I would rather occasionally cheat than stop playing.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By dtat

Buy it new to support Atlus. I know that isn't a particularly good reason to purchase a game, but it's important their US versions sell well in order for later games to be released here. We all want a US version of P5 right?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ESREVER

I wasn't into the story, characters, or the decisions the characters made. However, I did enjoy the core gameplay and the visual flare it had. The puzzles were pretty fun and head scratching at times. The Rapunzel mini-game was also a very rewarding feeling every time I had solved another stage.

VS Mode is also a ton of fun if you have a friend to play with. (Beat the game first)

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Definitely, I thought it was worth it at full price. In fact, it was just the second game of this console gen that I've purchased at launch.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

Catherine was a fun game, I never really got bored and was surprised by the 12 or so hours it took me on normal.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I really liked Catherine, mostly because I found it so fun just to walk around the bar talking to everyone, making sure to finish my glass each time so I could hear all of that sweet, sweet alcohol trivia. The puzzles themselves are pretty fun, too. Even if you don't particularly care for them, luckily there's only 2-3 floors of them each night before moving onto more story stuff. It gets a little rough on the last night, but you can always use a guide to get through the last part if you feel like you've had enough- it doesn't take long at all.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I loved it, but you shouldn't buy it.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By EarlessShrimp

1. If you like Atlus, 2. If you like puzzle games, and 3. If you like the prospect of combining the two things: Then yes, you should get Catherine.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts

Depends on if you like box puzzles I guess.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AsperGamer

@FluxWaveZ said:

I am intrigued by this response. Why wouldn't I also love it? Or perhaps I should just steal it?

@laserbolts said:

Depends on if you like box puzzles I guess.

Not really sure that I do. I am not even sure I have actually played a box puzzle game. I think elements of Baten Kaitos had what I think this is, but I am not really sure. I feel it is incumbent on me to learn for myself. It is the only way to learn.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlasherMan

@AsperGamer said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I am intrigued by this response. Why wouldn't I also love it? Or perhaps I should just steal it?

He probably means rent it?

I recently got it for relatively cheap too but I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on whether it was worth it or not. It just seemed like a unique enough game to warrant a purchase at $20-$25. We'll see if I still feel the same when I get to playing it (especially considering the fact that the plot has already been ruined for me).

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jack268

Yes

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By neurotic

@AsperGamer said:

@Neurotic said:

@AsperGamer said:

You win the prize for actually reading the entire post! I wondered if the fish would bite ;)

Heh, thanks I guess?

@Dtat said:

it's important their US versions sell well in order for later games to be released here. We all want a US version of P5 right?

I don't think you need to worry about that. Europe on the other hand...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@AsperGamer said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because based on your comments, it doesn't seem like something you'd enjoy.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AsperGamer

@FluxWaveZ said:

@AsperGamer said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because based on your comments, it doesn't seem like something you'd enjoy.

I am not all that sure how you got that from my post actually. I didn't really indicate anything except being someone ignorant, yet intrigued by the intricacies of the game. $20 is petty cash, so I am not sure I have all that much to lose. The responses here have essentially pushed me off the fence into a "YES" position.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By musubi

Yes I'd say grab it. It is a fun romp.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@AsperGamer said:

I am not all that sure how you got that from my post actually. I didn't really indicate anything except being someone ignorant, yet intrigued by the intricacies of the game. $20 is petty cash, so I am not sure I have all that much to lose. The responses here have essentially pushed me off the fence into a "YES" position.

• "Is it a puzzle game or is it something far more than that?"
    • "Sounds like I would benefit greatly from using a walkthrough to get past the tough sections."
    • "Not really sure that I do." (In response to liking block puzzle games)

These are what make me believe you would not enjoy the game. Perhaps the story elements would make it up for you, but I personally wouldn't recommend the game to anyone who would want to suffer through the gameplay just for the story and presentation elements.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AsperGamer

@FluxWaveZ said:

@AsperGamer said:

• "Is it a puzzle game or is it something far more than that?"
    • "Sounds like I would benefit greatly from using a walkthrough to get past the tough sections."
    • "Not really sure that I do." (In response to liking block puzzle games)

These are what make me believe you would not enjoy the game. Perhaps the story elements would make it up for you, but I personally wouldn't recommend the game to anyone who would want to suffer through the gameplay just for the story and presentation elements.

Fair enough. I do think you read a little more into it than I intended, but that is text for you.

The first comment wasn't informing, just asking. The second comment was more about my lack of skills, not my enjoyment. The third comment is just ambiguous on my part, non-committal of sorts, but still open minded. The story is what I am most interested in anyway, so yeah, it likely would make up for any gameplay components I may not love. Thanks for the discussion though.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AsperGamer

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

Catherine is a puzzle-platformer. But--that said..

http://catherinethegame.wikia.com--

Very Easy

This is the only difficulty not actually selectable on the main menu by default. To play on "Very Easy", hold down the Back/Select button for a few seconds on the main screen (highlighting "Golden Theater"). After you hear a tone, select 'Easy' mode, which will now be Very Easy. You can switch between Easy and Very Easy as much as you want during the game.

• "Very Easy" comes with the capability of undoing your last move (up to 10 times) by pressing Back/Select during the level.
    • This mode's Nightmare levels are the same as "Easy".
    • Collecting a Mystic Pillow grants you 3 retries.
    • Safety Bonus score multiplier of 2.0
    • Power Drinks have a high chance of showing up on top of any block you pull out. These are more powerful versions of Energy Drinks, and allow you to climb 3 blocks at once for a limited time.

Excellent information. Thanks for that, I will remember it when I get to play it.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ChrisTaran

I'd say picking it up for anything less than $60 should be considered a federal offense.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mewarmo990

@FluxWaveZ said:

DIE, YOU

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MEATBALL

Buy it, the puzzle gameplay is actually fun.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By thebunnyhunter

You should pick it up if you want something different.  I found the game to be highly enjoyable....story and characters are good and its something different than most other games, which is a big plus.  The block puzzles are fun and good for the most part but the the Boss levels can be pretty shitty.  Also cant you use the Undo feature on normal too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If you are on the fence about it and asking the internet for advice then you really don't want it.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jking47

Do it, Catherine is a great game. Don't listen to the haters!

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By korolev

It all depends on whether or not you like the puzzles. Some do, some don't. The Story is decent, if a little stupid at times, but you can see that on Youtube. If you're gonna play the game, you'll have to get through the puzzles, and you really have to think as to whether or not those types of block puzzles are your thing.

They were not my thing. I did not enjoy Catherine at any point at which I had to actually use the controller.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By myniceicelife

buy it then play it on easy, it's worth it for the story.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hunter5024

Personally I would play it on easy if you do get it. The most rewarding parts of the game are not the gameplay itself, and even on easy it's not a walk in the park or anything.

alevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By alevan

isn't there a very easy mode or something? I herd that the us ver changed something with the difficulty.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Winternet

I don't like the fact that the two positive options are "this is awesome" and "well, it's cheap, so go for it". The spectrum is too big between those two answers.

Anyhoo, buy that game.

alevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By alevan

just bought it <$20 on amazon

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Zombie_

@alevan said:

isn't there a very easy mode or something? I herd that the us ver changed something with the difficulty.

Yup.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It is a good game. I got it for a cheap as well, I guess I would never pay full price for it, it just is not that kind of game that seems to justify itself for a price around 40-50$. I have not yet completed the game, however at the point where I am at now, the fifth night, it seems like the story is mediocre, nothing fantastic, but you will catch on and I guess most people would be inclined to finish the game just to see how the story ends. It does have a slightly stereotypical set-up, story wise. This thirty-year old guy that cannot seem to get his life together and generally seems to have a significant lack of understanding of how he is affecting his surroundings through his immaturity and inability to face life as a grown-up. Then there are the two C/Katherines, not intensely interesting either, but they serve their purpose well.

I guess it is a game that you would play just to say that you played it. ''Yeah I played that strange, yet slightly amusing game called Catherine. Got it cheap of course.''

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Marcsman

Go get it. It's like Q Bert on acid.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I really liked Catherine, mostly because I found it so fun just to walk around the bar talking to everyone, making sure to finish my glass each time so I could hear all of that sweet, sweet alcohol trivia. The puzzles themselves are pretty fun, too. Even if you don't particularly care for them, luckily there's only 2-3 floors of them each night before moving onto more story stuff. It gets a little rough on the last night, but you can always use a guide to get through the last part if you feel like you've had enough- it doesn't take long at all.

This. The game also has one mini game which is interesting and challenging bringing more hours to the table.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.