Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Clive Barker's Jericho

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 23, 2007

A squad-based FPS with a story by the acclaimed horror writer Clive Barker. The player controls a team of seven characters, equipped with both firearms and supernatural powers, as they uncover the secrets of an ancient Middle Eastern city full of ghastly creatures.

First Post!

willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By willwithskills

My very first blog on any kind of site whatsoever! I guess I'm not very good at detailing my daily life to strangers. Not that many people will read this anyways, but welcome! I'll try to talk about my shenanigans in the world of video games every now and again, giving my opinions and maybe making a few suggestions.
    As for this week, the games that have dominated my life have clearly been the many I have bought during Steam's huge sale going on right now. They've even pulled me away from completing Red Dead Redemption, even with my friend constantly insisting I complete it. Seriously, there are quality, full size games for one or two dollars, it's a perfect opportunity to pick up any games you were previously on the fence about. For now, I'll talk about the one game that stuck out to me as actually quite fantastic. It is none other than Clive Barker's Jericho, an FPS horror game from 2007. I picked it up for the hefty sum of two freakin' dollars, so it better be good or I just wasted good money. It got pretty bad reviews at the time, and most critics called it a missed opportunity.
    However, in my experience it was actually a pretty good game. Of course, it is occasionally frustrating and the level design leaves something to be desired, but it is genuinely creative with a well-told story, probably one of my favorite squad based shooters. I might just write a review later to elaborate on how it is a game that could be worth your time and, possibly, the best two dollars you ever spent.

willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By willwithskills

My very first blog on any kind of site whatsoever! I guess I'm not very good at detailing my daily life to strangers. Not that many people will read this anyways, but welcome! I'll try to talk about my shenanigans in the world of video games every now and again, giving my opinions and maybe making a few suggestions.
    As for this week, the games that have dominated my life have clearly been the many I have bought during Steam's huge sale going on right now. They've even pulled me away from completing Red Dead Redemption, even with my friend constantly insisting I complete it. Seriously, there are quality, full size games for one or two dollars, it's a perfect opportunity to pick up any games you were previously on the fence about. For now, I'll talk about the one game that stuck out to me as actually quite fantastic. It is none other than Clive Barker's Jericho, an FPS horror game from 2007. I picked it up for the hefty sum of two freakin' dollars, so it better be good or I just wasted good money. It got pretty bad reviews at the time, and most critics called it a missed opportunity.
    However, in my experience it was actually a pretty good game. Of course, it is occasionally frustrating and the level design leaves something to be desired, but it is genuinely creative with a well-told story, probably one of my favorite squad based shooters. I might just write a review later to elaborate on how it is a game that could be worth your time and, possibly, the best two dollars you ever spent.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

It is good?! I might give it a shot then...

willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By willwithskills

I'm only about half-way through it, but I'm enjoying myself immensely for a two dollar admission fee. To give you a better idea of what the gameplay is like, it's a squad based shooter with 7 members. I won't spoil anything, because something pretty dramatic happens early on, but you are able to individually control each member of the squad, taking control of one member at a time. The best part is how each character is very different, all of them with different classes of weapon with a primary and secondary form of fire, whether this is an assault rifle with a shotgun attached to dual pistols with three different forms of fire to dual wielding a katana and a submachine gun. Where it really gets creative is in each character's occult-based power. Each one specializes in a different form of the occult with two powers. For example, the heavy weapons guy has a fire demon crawling around his arm, which he can either send after enemies to immolate them or use as a flame shield. Also, the sniper of the squad is telekinetic, which she can use to either clear rubble and stun enemies, or to fire the hilariously-named "ghost bullet," which is a shot or her sniper rifle that she manually controls to direct it through the heads of her enemies.

The storyline is pretty good in my opinion, suitably twisted in Clive Barker's style, but the voice-acting can be hit-or-miss. I find it effective and fairly good at fleshing out the nuances of each squad member, but many dislike it.

Of course, the game has some faults that account for the bad reviews it got. While there is huge variety in the tactics each squad member uses, the enemies themselves are not very varied at all. The game throws tons of each enemy at you over and over, which can get tedious, but I combat this by switching to a character I don't use often to mix it up a bit. Also, as I mentioned, the level design is pretty drab, often being too cramped or just being brown, brown, brown.

Overall, though, I like the game, and two dollars is nothing compared to the fun you'll get out of this. I guess I could've answered your question in one sentence: Yes, it is good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.