Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

Turn back the clock yet again in EALA's third installment of the popular alternate-historical RTS, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

Buy or Download?

tjeM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tjeM
    Will you buy or download this game?
    Since almost 99% downloads everything.

I think if the game is really good with nice reviews,
    I'll buy it just to own a REAL copy of the game.
    dudewhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dudewhat

WARNING: This became a rant as I couldn't stop typing, sorry.

Nice reviews? It's not even out yet. If your talking about beta feedback there are several large bugs and exploits in the game at the moment. EA LA is really rushing the game out the door so I wouldn't get my hopes up of it being a heavily polished masterpiece, they are just now starting to create the campaign as the last units have been completed. The beta from what I herd is heavily using assets from Red Alert 2, although there are a few new unit responses and a few new music tracks most of it is from Red Alert 2.

On the other hand I already know I will personally be buying it no matter how good or bad it is. So the answer is yes I will be buying this game, I am just very skeptical, as EA is known to rush games out the door before they are ready.

Remember just last March EA LA launched Kane's Wrath which was the worst thing they have ever put out and at the last minute they decided to lower it from $40 to $30 because of how little it actually added to the original game. Pretty much everyone was disappointed with the campaign and minimal amount of effort placed into the 6 new factions by adding less then 5 new units per faction. The big thing that actually distinguished the factions was which units where remove from each one and the 5 new upgrades each had. They did the bare minimum for that expansion to siphon money out of Westwood's fans.

Am I hyped about the beta though? Why yes I am, I am insanely hyped about it, but I just know that they are a company that values money, not making their products the best they can be and not meeting any "High Standards." If a EA development team doesn't make profit they get fired/shut down, so every EA team knows that it's better to spend less time and money on a project and get it out the door then risking putting allot of time and money into it. Right now EA knows Red Alert 3 will sell a estimated minimum amount of units on the PC & Xbox 360 based on previous sales. That minimum number of dollars will be put into the project, that way no matter how good or bad it sells they will profit from it. The reason the release date is less then is so close is that is the time estimated that the project will run out of available funds at which point it is estimated to go over budget.

So in conclusion, I hope it is good, and will buy it, but I recommend you wait for every review to come in before buying.

NOTE: It should also be noted that Giant Bomb, Gamespot & IGN's reviews may be biased as Jeff, Jason Ocampo (IGN's PC Editor) and the remaining Gamespot team are good friends of Greg & Amir on the EA LA staff. Greg Kasavin personally said to Gamespot that he wants to earn their editor's choice award (9.0 or higher) on his first project when he left them so it will be hard for them to give anything less to him. This is Greg's first full game with EA LA so I expect a somewhat biased review from all 3 of those sources, which are all former co-workers of both Greg & Amir. They are all still good friends even though they are no longer co-workers. This is something I doubt any review from these 3 sources will note at the page. Personally I'd be biased too if I had good friends in EA.

The ironic part of this whole thing is that the only reason Amir & Greg got jobs at EA LA is because the former Command & Conquer team all left after a similar event happened to them. That’s why it's always big news and a celebration for the Command & Conquer community when any former Westwood guy decides he wants to continue his old work (Joe Kucan, Frank Klepacki for example), because 99% of the EA LA guys never made Red Alert 2 or any game before it. That was another team, it's another reason why the lore from Tiberian Sun was thrown out for C&C 3 and they had to release a bad expansion to explain themselves but of course they outsourced it to some simulation company instead of caring about it. Now the chance of a second expansion (as Kane’s Wrath was named episode 1 in the exe file) is highly doubtful.

TLDR: I'm buying it but I don't think you should get your hopes up, they have no quality standards and are not above releasing games early & incomplete as seen with Kane's Wrath.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Joker

That is one of the most concise and long posts I have ever seen. But I am still coming for you and your 2nd place.

The sake of the thread, buy, because red alert has a certain level of polish usually.

Josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Josh

If you want PC games to continue getting made, you'll buy the game. Do NOT pirate it, please. While the actual effects of piracy on the industry aren't fully understood, the perceived effects on the industry are far reaching and proven.

Example: Crysis was a success. It sold over a million units, and yet still Crytek says it suffered greatly from rampant piracy, and has since switched its development model from producing PC exclusives to cross platform development. This, obviously, is a direct result of perceived effects on the industry through piracy.

Another Example : Devil May Cry 4. The PC version of this game is fantastic. Better looking than either of its console counterparts as well as running smoother, this is a game worthy of purchase, and recently one of Capcom's head honchos has reported that the game is getting the ever loving crap violated out of it. While Capcom has been a general supporter of the PC platform for years, when they go to the effort and cost of porting a game to the platform and it gets rampantly stolen, what, if any, motivation remains for them to continue supporting the platform? Even if they just break even after the cost of the port, no company on the face of this planet has a business model that hinges on breaking even.

I'm a PC Gamer first, and a console gamer second. I own every platform currently available except for a PS3, and even I am starting to get frustrated with the piracy scene. PC Gamers are constantly complaining that the number of great games being released on their favorite platform is getting less and less every year, but when a new, good game does get released, those same PC Gamers descend upon it as would a school of sharks on the corpse of a whale, and it gets pirated an incredible number of times. We are murdering our own platform, and it's not through any actual loss in profits. I see it more as the perceived loss in profits on future attempts to produce PC games that are convincing more and more developers that it's just not worth it.

Thankfully, there are amazing people out there like Will Wright, Gabe Newell, Chris Taylor, the staff at Blizzard, EA's Command & Conquer team and others that persevere in the face of incredible negativity for their chosen platforms, and hopefully, as long as these people and their companies continue to support the PC, the platform will never really die.

But we will continue to see a hell of a lot less games coming out on the PC. So, again, please do NOT pirate this game. Buy it. It's worth the money, if for no other reason than to support the PC gaming scene. The fact that it's also a great game helps a bunch too.

This became more of a rant than I intended!

dudewhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dudewhat

I agree pirating games can kill the game and you shouldn't do it. At the same time if a company releases the bare minimum of what could be considered a game such as they did with Kane's Wrath I think if people did not buy a outsourced bare minimum of a game like that it would send a message to the company that we don't accept crap even if it is labeled C&C. Some would even argue that Generals is not a C&C game as almost the whole Westwood team quit and so the new EA LA team made a game outside the C&C universe but put the brand on it so that it could sell better.

The Red Alert 3 campaign is going to be co-op so you will get less out of the game if you play it alone. At the same time I want EA to understand if they want people to buy their game they need to actually care a quality standard like other PC companies do. If your a trusted name you will sell millions, if you are known to rush, outsource, & otherwise not care about the quality of your games then you will be lucky to sell a million. EA still does not understand this.

To be clear though I own every C&C game, in fact multiple copies of each thanks to The First Decade and will own Red Alert 3.

ParadoxControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ParadoxControl
    dudewhat said:
    "I agree pirating games can kill the game and you shouldn't do it. At the same time if a company releases the bare minimum of what could be considered a game such as they did with Kane's Wrath I think if people did not buy a outsourced bare minimum of a game like that it would send a message to the company that we don't accept crap even if it is labeled C&C. Some would even argue that Generals is not a C&C game as almost the whole Westwood team quit and so the new EA LA team made a game outside the C&C universe but put the brand on it so that it could sell better.

The Red Alert 3 campaign is going to be co-op so you will get less out of the game if you play it alone. At the same time I want EA to understand if they want people to buy their game they need to actually care a quality standard like other PC companies do. If your a trusted name you will sell millions, if you are known to rush, outsource, & otherwise not care about the quality of your games then you will be lucky to sell a million. EA still does not understand this.

To be clear though I own every C&C game, in fact multiple copies of each thanks to The First Decade and will own Red Alert 3."
    Firstly, your doing the one thing that drives me nuts when it comes to a person talking about a "EA" game. While in the logo before the game starts it clearly says EA, this game is not made by EA. EALA are the people you are really talking about here. In most recent years the Heads behind the EA "swarm" have really loosened there grip on there smaller developers. They really do allow there teams to work as teams, using what ever creative means they need to get a game done. Each EA branded team works as its own company, much like Blizzard is its own company. The difference between Blizzard and say EALA is that EALA gets its initial funding's for a product from the EA Swarm. So when your talking about this game, don't blindly blame the faceless EA when it comes to something you don't care for in there games. EALA can be held responsible for those short comings.

Pirating games is never something you should be doing. Even if it is an "EA" game. I have enjoyed the last two CNC games. CNC3 was really fun when you could actually get a game working, after time went on and the patches fixed most of the issues it became much better. Sadly the systems that game had implemented for Econ and Unit Design were vary poor. I think they tried to stay to true to a classic formula. While in the end, they sold millions of copies, It wasn't a truly successful game in the eyes of fans. KW brought much needed variety to the game, but sadly couldn't change some of the mechanics. What killed it for me was that out of the box I was getting Desync errors, just like when I first got CNC3.

But now with RA3 I think they have proven enough. Even in the beta the game is more stable then KW and CNC3 were on day one. The online component is much better, and matches seem to connect more frequently then before. On top of all this, there holding a open BETA which is something that CNC3 and KW would have benefited from greatly. I honestly feel that, just like the past operations of the CNC games, the Tib games were made to hammer out some major design issues, as well as perfecting a game engien to allow the RA game to fallow be the best it can. the Red Alert games have always been the flagship title for Westwood/EALA. First there was Dune to get the first iteration of the new game engine under way, then came the Tib games to iron out all the issues with the engine and tackle design challenges, and then RA2 came in to be the big bread winner. The same can be said about the operation of this most recent line of CNC games. The CNC3 and KW were just stepping stones to making an awesome Red Alert game. All the suggestions they got while working with the Tib games have been put in to RA3.

So just to recap: The last two CNC games did sell over a million each. There's no evidence that EALA doesn't care about the quality of there games. If they felt this way there's no reason for them to even do the Battle Cast Prime Time shows. If anything, CNC3 and KW were just the testing beds to see if the old CNC games were still viable in the modern game market. They found that there is still life in the series and that gave them the green light to bring Red Alert back to the RTS stage. If anything RA3 showcases that EALA cares a lot about the quality of there game. Even in the beta, RA3 is leaps and bounds better then CNC3 and KW.
    stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By stucket

yea...i dont think his talking about pirating it,more of Downloading from the EA downloader...lol

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman
    stucket said:
    "yea...i dont think his talking about pirating it,more of Downloading from the EA downloader...lol"
    Yeah, please specify what you mean by download. 

If you mean pirate, don't...Every PC game you pirate is another PC game that developers will rather develop on consoles and forget about PC.
    stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stucket

you made a good point,lol...but consoles like Wii has a lot of piracy{Red alert 3 cant run on it,lol], Blu-ray is too hard to pirate because of the disc,and i havent seen any Xbox 360 pirated games yet.

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stucket

hey errm Milk, Some Company will still choose PC as it is like,the best place to make game due to the endless amount of greatness PC can run,

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'll be buying it for a couple of reasons:
    1. I believe in supporting the game developers, rather then pirating everything
    2. My PC will never run it, so I'll need to get the 360 version, even though the controls will suck, I'd rather play it with sucky controls than not play it at all!!!

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By stucket

I got myself the Premier Edition of RA3,not the best,but at least the game is worth it,Buying the game is better,Furthermore my Country[singapore] had a special Launch sale Earlier than the world, that comes along with a dicota backpack and a Exclusive microsoft sidewinderx6 keyboard,not even out in the market. So from what i say, better to buy it with the offer than to Leech it off the internet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.