Counter-Strike 2 possibly in the works?

#1 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Gabe Newell at an Intel event: 

When asked the question he seemed a little nervous and caught off guard - if they had zero plans for CS2 I doubt he would've reacted as such. He slated DotA 2 in front of it, so could it be possible that after DotA 2's release we will hear something about CS2 being developed? Would you look forward to that game? 
#2 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

HL 2: Episode 3 is going to be released before that.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" HL 2: Episode 3 is going to be released after that. im sorry did i say after? i meant never"
fixed 
#4 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Counter Strike 2 will be the multiplayer part of Half-Life 3. There won't be episode 3.

#5 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

The question should've been  "when are you going to release half-life 3?"

#6 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Why do people want Counter-Strike 2? It will just be a Call of Duty rip off, nobody wants that.

Leave it in the past I say, where it belongs.

#7 Edited by Sammo21 (3543 posts) -
@Geno: This is old news really.  They talked about this a couple of times and they said they want to do something different with the game like they did with TF2 but not the same style. 

One question Gabe...."will eet have ze multiplaya?"
#8 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

The Counter-Strike.

#9 Posted by Qwo (8 posts) -

No, Counter Strike 2 is not being developed, the fuck are you talking about. He very plainly stated that "we're doing other shit right now, we're not talking about that."

#10 Posted by Badhands (398 posts) -

I will personal kill Gabe if counter-strike two comes out before a new Half-Life.

#11 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

WHERE THE FUCK IS HALF LIFE GOD DAMN IT!!!

#12 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Really, why did that person not ask about half life?

#13 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

They talked about the possibility of Counter Strike 2 back in early 2008 on GT TV. I think this is the episode.

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

It exists. It ships with Episode 3 in the "Just A Little Bit More Oranger Box" Coming 20wheneverthefucktheyfeellikeit

#15 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Counter Strike fans are insane, half of them play the original version because they feels it's superior, they'll hate another CS game.

#16 Posted by drcocktopus (59 posts) -

It's not going to happen and to the people who say that it is going to be released with 'Half Life 3", I believe he has stated before that the episodes are a substitute for a full sequel, so that makes no sense...

#17 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

Man, that would be huge!

#18 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Not sure how this means anything he was probably just expecting him to say EP3 and when he didn't it caught him off guard.

#19 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

Seems like they are going to focus on DOTA 2 and Portal 2 before considering CS2
I would bet that it would be bundled in as the Unobtainium Box with Episode 3 and Counter Strike 2

#20 Edited by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:

" Counter Strike fans are insane, half of them play the original version because they feels it's superior, they'll hate another CS game. "

As a Counter Strike fan, I totally agree with you. I have no idea how they could recreate the game to get the reaction it did all those years ago. The jump from 1.6 to Source was to much for most of the CS community.

I'm actually more disappointed that Gabe didn't say "we have to put out Half-Life 2: Episode 3 before we worry about Counter Strike".

#21 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

New engine with Half-Life 3 and it'll spawn a new version of Counter-Strike. 

Episode 3 will never see the light of day. Guarantee they just go straight to 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.