Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

As Nomad, an elite soldier outfitted in a state-of-the-art Nanosuit that gives him superhuman abilities, infiltrate a North Korean-held island to rescue captured scientists... and face a reawakening ancient evil that threatens the entire world. Crysis is well known for its high system requirements and top of the line graphics.

Achieved with Cry Engine 3?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

I haven't played this on PC, though I sure as hell wanted to.  The trailer mentions Cry Engine 3... so did they rework this game from scratch using the Crysis 2 engine?

And I guess on a side note, I loved part 2.  Just looking for a one word opinionated answer, is 1 better or worse?

Avatar image for girlsgeneration
    GirlsGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GirlsGeneration

No they didn't start form scratch they just brought it over and put in CryEngine 3 this version have a couple new things in it like some new lighting effects and a few other things, I love Crysis 2 single player as well I played a bit of Crysis 1 single player before it's definitely a lot more open in the environment/maps I would say probably one is a bit better because environment is a lot more open and you get to drive tanks in Crysis 1 and you pick up crabs on the beach = ) and plus it only $20 so I say definitely get it!

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By themangalist
    @4Minute said:

No they didn't start form scratch they just brought it over and put in CryEngine 3 this version have a couple new things in it like some new lighting effects and a few other things, I love Crysis 2 single player as well I played a bit of Crysis 1 single player before it's definitely a lot more open in the environment/maps I would say probably one is a bit better because environment is a lot more open and you get to drive tanks in Crysis 1 and you pick up crabs on the beach = ) and plus it only $20 so I say definitely get it!

ummm... no. Crisis 1 had some of the most abysmal AI i've ever seen in any game. They can see you when you're cloaked hiding behind a rock, from a speedboat out in the ocean. Fucking ridiculous. Not enjoyable to play.
    Avatar image for girlsgeneration
    GirlsGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GirlsGeneration

@themangalist said:

@4Minute said:

ummm... no. Crisis 1 had some of the most abysmal AI i've ever seen in any game. They can see you when you're cloaked hiding behind a rock, from a speedboat out in the ocean. Fucking ridiculous. Not enjoyable to play.

Oh i see -_- what did you expect you are playing as a guy who's wearing a big suit and it's all black and silver and you have a shiny red visor it would be pretty easy to spot that guy on the island = )

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

Crysis is better than the sequel. You should buy it on consoles. Ask me more questions if you feel the need and I'll answer at the best of my abilities. I know Crysis very well. I'll hold back on details right now, so if you want to ask, be my guest. It's just easier that way.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@NTM: About how long is it? Just curious (I'll probably buy it anyway).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@MooseyMcMan: It's about ten hours or more, but depending on how you play it, it can be shorter. I love to take my time, figure out different tactics and new ways to approach areas. They took out an area from the PC version which was about five to ten minutes long, so that doesn't have much effect on its time. So basically, it has very good replay value, and you'll definitely want to try alternative ways through; that is if you like the gameplay itself enough to want to do that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@NTM: Yeah, when a game gives "stealth" as an option (and with a cloaking device this game has some stealth) I tend to take my time. Sounds good! And thanks.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thechronodarkness

Crysis 1 is very....very short. Shorter than the 2nd game, and DEFINITELY wayyyy shorter than far cry 1. I did it in 6 hours. I've seen speedruns on supersolider in less than that. Since apparently they cut a level from the console versions, it'll be even shorter. Still, very very great game. Poorly optimized when it came out, but worth the hassle. Where as crysis 2 feels more solid, this game feels alittle more floaty. Probably from all the different powers that didn't carry over in the 2nd game.

Word of warning though. After playing crysis 2, and thinking you know the jist of the story? Once you play the first one, you'll be setting around for hours thinking wtf? Not a great link between the 2 games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@MooseyMcMan: Yeah, definitely.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

achieved with shit-soaked cow testicles

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@thechronodarkness: Yeah, kind of this except for possibly the length. They made the console version feel very similar to Crysis 2 on consoles though. There are only a few things different. I wish in the third Crysis, they combine it all, so I can go prone, and slide with the subtle cover system they have in two. Story wise, you'd have to read upon a wiki (or read the books and comics) so it all makes sense inside the Crysis universe, because if you play just the games, you'll kind of get an awkward vibe. Just so everyone knows, the worst aspects about the console version is that it has some bad frame rates when there's a lot going on, and sometimes the music doesn't play in area's that I remember on PC, it also simply seems to cut off at certain areas as if it wasn't mixed into the game well. Though I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maajin

@4Minute said:

@themangalist said:

@4Minute said:

Oh i see -_- what did you expect you are playing as a guy who's wearing a big suit and it's all black and silver and you have a shiny red visor it would be pretty easy to spot that guy on the island = )

Sam Fisher has three glowing green lights on his forehead and enemies can't spot him if he's in the dark. Why? Because if they could, Splinter Cell would be unplayable. Realism doesn't always translates to good gameplay.

That said, I really enjoyed Crysis back in 2007, probably because of it's incredible visuals. Not looking forward to play it again, though.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By peacebrother

My only complaint is that the slowdown can be crippling in heated firefights. I had to change up a strategy because it ended up in unplayable slowdown. This was assaulting/infiltrating the school.

miguelkosta76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By miguelkosta76

I've just downloaded and been playing for a some time now on PS3. For what i can see the graphics are different, maybe to much bloom and also the deep field effect seems different. Is it better? depends on your taste. I was never able to play Crysis on by PC due to the high specs required and to play now the game without having to be stress out with that is great.

http://thehalfgame.blogspot.com/

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By csl316
    @NTM: I guess my main question is how the combat scenarios are set up.  I like sandbox-esque shooters such as Crysis 2 or Halo over something like CoD, which I'm guessing is the category this falls into.  If you enter an area, will firefights play out differently each time?

And does this rely more on set pieces or the core combat to keep things exciting?  Crysis 2 had plenty of fun random combat moments, but you occasionally got some crazy set piece to mix things up and keep the game moving.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehexeditor

The framerate, at least on PS3, can get pretty nasty. Really affects my ability to enjoy it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By csl316

And I should mention that I'm sold on this game, anyway, but I'll probably wait til mid-November after I'm done with the bigger releases coming out.  Just curious what I should expect.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@csl316: Crysis has crazier set pieces than Crysis 2, and it plays the way you want to play it. If you're asking me if it's more like Halo and Crysis 2 or Call of Duty, the answer to that would be that it's more like Halo and Crysis 2, but it's more open than Crysis 2. There's obviously a destination you need to reach, but it's definitely not linear.

You can approach every situation differently, both in the way of if you want to go in stealthy or all out guns blazing (though you can die somewhat quickly if you're flanked from different sides), and you can also take entirely different routes each time. Other than how it controls (on consoles), it's nothing like the way Call of Duty plays.

From what it sounds like, it's the type of game for you. For me personally, the only thing that's missing from the openness of its environments which could have been a good opportunity to expand on the Crysis universe, and give a better reason to explore, would be collectibles scattered around the game for players to find if they wanted to.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By csl316
    @NTM said:

@csl316: Crysis has crazier set pieces than Crysis 2, and it plays the way you want to play it. If you're asking me if it's more like Halo and Crysis 2 or Call of Duty, the answer to that would be that it's more like Halo and Crysis 2, but it's more open than Crysis 2. There's obviously a destination you need to reach, but it's definitely not linear.

You can approach every situation differently, both in the way of if you want to go in stealthy or all out guns blazing (though you can die somewhat quickly if you're flanked from different sides), and you can also take entirely different routes each time. Other than how it controls (on consoles), it's nothing like the way Call of Duty plays.

From what it sounds like, it's the type of game for you. For me personally, the only thing that's missing from the openness of its environments which could have been a good opportunity to expand on the Crysis universe, and give a better reason to explore, would be collectibles scattered around the game for players to find if they wanted to.

Yep, sounds like it's just up my ally.  I like games that allow a tactical, strategic approach.  Not just memorizing where a dude spawns so I know when to throw a flash bang.

As long as the AI is solid, I'll have a damn good time with this game.  Even though I finally have a PC that can run it, I'll probably just stick to the 360 version for the sake of playing on a couch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.