Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 19, 2014

Headed by "Swery" (creator of the 2010 cult-classic Deadly Premonition), D4 is an episodic adventure game following the surreal mystery of David Young, a private detective with the power to "dive" into past events in order to investigate the murder of his wife.

Swery's D4 releases September 19th for $14.99

• 83 results
    roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By roboculus92

Update: Major Nelson posted on his blog that it's actually coming out Friday September 19th. Link to Major Nelson's blog

Link

Coming out tomorrow in NA and Friday in Japan. It's important to note that this is an episodic game and only the prologue, episode 1 and episode 2 will be available at launch (no plans yet announced for future episodes). Not sure if you only get these episodes for that price or if you also get possible future episodes.

I'm surprised it's releasing so soon. Haven't seen too much marketing but I'm still excited to see how it turns out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What!? I don't... What the fuck is this game?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

W-whoa.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

day0

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, does the $15 get you the first two episodes or the whole game? That seems cheap for the whole game, unless it's really short.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx

Deadly Premonition had little to no marketing (all it had was a website, a couple youtube trailers and an amazon page) so that part is not surprising, but I am interested to see what this game is (even though I won't be able to play it).

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigjeffrey

eurogamer info

Xbox One mystery adventure D4 will launch worldwide tomorrow, developer Swery has confirmed to Eurogamer at Tokyo Games Show 2014.

The game will launch for $14.99 (UK price still to be confirmed) and include the prologue, first and second episodes.

Designed for Kinect, the whole game is also playable via a standard controller. In a live demonstration we saw how the game's camera movements (dragging and swiping your hand left and right in front of you) can be replicated by a simple tap of the control stick.

Action sequences require more advanced gestures - such as making running and leaping gestures to quickly slide your way through a closing door.

Swery has made action moments available to fail up to 10 times before the mission restarts so players are not too disrupted if they make an error.

Other Kinect gestures include tapping your head to bring up the game's investigation mode, where notable objects in your environment are highlighted.

Overall, the game appears to play much like Telltale's Walking Dead series in terms of how you explore environments, with certain items and objects available to probe. Selecting these items then allows you to perform a context-sensitive movement, such as turning your hands to operate a wheel.

The Kinect and controller move schemes can be switched between at the touch of a button, Swery added. Just putting down the controller on the floor and raising your hands moves you back into Kinect control mode.

A mode for standard Xbox One controllers was talked of inclusion from the start of the project, the developer concluded, and was not a response to Microsoft's dropping of Kinect for some Xbox One console bundles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-18-deady-premonition-devs-d4-launches-on-xbox-one-tomorrow

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fuck yeeeeeeeesssss!! Even if its not great its always awesome when these surprise announcements happen.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Launch Trailer, yup can't wait cant

Loading Video...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Do you think this eventually comes to PC (or even Sony consoles)? I love me some Swery.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From a person who does not have the highest tolerance for wacky Japanese B.S. I love Swery. Still not getting an Xbox One yet thought.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fuck a controller. I'm totally playing this shit with the Kinect because why the fuck not. Can't wait!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Raven10

@nightriff: Well it is published by Microsoft so I would highly doubt a Sony release but most of Microsoft's XBLA games eventually hit PC so that wouldn't be super surprising.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They really don't give a fuck about this, do they?

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

HELL YES I AM ALL OVER THIS

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was waiting to find out more about this game, I loved deadly premonition so much that I was looking at D4 as a possible reason to get an Xbox one. The stealth like release makes me nervous though.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Aaah man, come on. Give SWERY at least a little promotion Microsoft. Damn. Feels like it's getting punted out to die.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
    MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really hope this will be good...

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That trailer got me so fucking hype for this thing, I don't care that I can't play it.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By conmulligan

Ballsy!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT

I really don't like the look of this game. But I'm interested in the story. Well, I'm just interested in the SWERY. Which is good, because what the fuck do you even do in this game. Is it still a Kinect game? Is it all just QTE stuff like in the launch trailer?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why it's a digital only game, just plaster the dash board with "out now".

Do you think this eventually comes to PC (or even Sony consoles)? I love me some Swery.

maybe a PC release but given it's whole "hey play w/ kinect" stance doubt MS will let this on go since kinect has no actual games for it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well... I was gonna wait another month before getting my Xbox One....

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

why it's a digital only game, just plaster the dash board with "out now".

@nightriff said:

maybe a PC release but given it's whole "hey play w/ kinect" stance doubt MS will let this on go since kinect has no actual games for it.

I dunno, I guess I get a EA Partners vibe, wherein the publisher acts as such in name only, and does nothing to promote the product. No one really knows what the hell D4 or Swery is/are.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this came completely out of the blue, hurray! Another game for Supergreatfriend to play.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@theht said:

I really don't like the look of this game. But I'm interested in the story. Well, I'm just interested in the SWERY. Which is good, because what the fuck do you even do in this game. Is it still a Kinect game? Is it all just QTE stuff like in the launch trailer?

The game has Kinect support, but it's apparently optional. You can just use a controller if you want.

As for what the game is beyond that...I have no fucking idea.

Yakumo1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually looking forward to this. I loved Deadly Premonition so I have high hopes for this title. I'm also surprised at how well Microsoft is pumping out the releases in Japan. Forza Horizons same day as the west (well, almost due to time differences) and now this too. Good stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to seeing more of this, I'm not sure I'll buy it yet, but I do love me some SWERY and Deadly Premonition.

Oh and according to the achievement lista certain character from Deadly Premonition might appear: Forrest Kaysen?!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EuanDewar

Woke up today to an email asking if I wanna review it for the site I sometimes write for and I thought I was still in a fever dream or something. I mean, it comes out tomorrow???

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: Considering Kaysen's in every game Swery made, I wouldn't be surprised.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im buying this mostly cause Swery is just the most adorable little guy ever...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That launch trailer was actually pretty great. I want to find out the name of the song they used in that.
    I say with no degree of hyperbole that D4 is probably the one game that I am sad on missing out on because I plan to never get a Xbox One.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Launch Trailer, yup can't wait cant

Loading Video...

Dang, given how much I enjoyed the story of DP, that really got me interested. Don't have an Xbox, so I can't play, but loved the style. Endurance Run when all the episodes are out please Giant Bomb?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Based on past experience with Xbox exclusives and Swery? Probably.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ms. Stiletto Heels?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy said:

Oh and according to the achievement lista certain character from Deadly Premonition might appear: Forrest Kaysen?!

Not really a secret, it's been revealed previously. Plus, he's a recurring character in Swery's games, even if there's no correlation between them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@village_guy said:

Not really a secret, it's been revealed previously. Plus, he's a recurring character in Swery's games, even if there's no correlation between them.

Oh well, I hadn't been following the game and besides Deadly Premonition I don't know much about SWERY's games, but thanks for the info :)

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: this is the first i have seen of this game. i was under the impression that it was fmv? or was that something else? this looks awesome though, i can't wait

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tajasaurus: You might be thinking of Suda51's new game Let it Die, which isn't FMV but had a live action trailer at E3 and the Bombsquad thought it was an FMV game for a minute.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: yeah, that's totally what I was thinking of!

I don't know what any of these games are but I want to play all of them

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@ghostiet said:

@village_guy said:

Oh well, I hadn't been following the game and besides Deadly Premonition I don't know much about SWERY's games, but thanks for the info :)

Yeah, in Spy Fiction, he's some kind of scientist or engineer or something, if memory serves.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have gone from zero to fucking hyped in three seconds. Gonna play the shit out of it this weekend.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this came completely out of the blue, hurray! Another game for Supergreatfriend to play.

That would be next best thing for me at this point, when SGF does a let's play, you can typically expect it to be very thorough.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only I had on Xbox One...

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I hope this makes it's way to PC eventually. Is it weird that the only Xbox One exclusives I'm interested in are this and Scalebound? Two Japanese games on an American system...

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PimblyCharles

Man, I hope this makes it's way to PC eventually. Is it weird that the only Xbox One exclusives I'm interested in are this and Scalebound? Two Japanese games on an American system...

I do too. The Deadly Premonition port wasn't great, but still damn happy it came over to PC. Can't wait to see what GB does with this game. It was the Deadly Premonition ER that got me to become more involved with GB.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot wait to watch this thing!!! I tried playing deadly premonition but ended up watching it. The gameplay was too miserable for me. I loooooved the story though

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By jiggajoe14

GOD DAMN IT MUST I BUY AN XBOX ONE SO SOON?!

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, too bad I won't be able to get this. This looks really interesting, I hope Swery gets a lot love from X-One owners.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.