Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Dan watching Star Trek...

• 74 results
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

@monkeyking1969 said:

The whole cncept of watching only certain episodes is stupid. Pure mindless stupidity. Its like skipping paragraphed of a chapter and nearly skipping whole chapter of a book.

Even fucking Dan (no offense Dan) seems able to enjoy Star Trek, so why edit out bits just so you can only watch a summery in 48 hrs.

TNG is really episodic. If you just want to watch the best episodes you don't miss anything by skipping the other ones. It's not like skipping chapters in a book where you would have no idea what's happening because you skipped them.

There is nuance of character building in every show for someone. There are nearly always individual life story threads that happen in teh shows especially for the bridge crew. It is stupid to watch two or three shows from season one. Sure there are classic episodes, but the other stuff is just as important for world building.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How could anyone hate Odo?

Once he and Kira start dating he becomes thoroughly lame. They both do honestly.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By justicejanitor

@iceman228433: I'm glad they did, 6 is probably my favourite of the bunch.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackout62 said:

How could anyone hate Odo?

Once he and Kira start dating he becomes thoroughly lame. They both do honestly.

SPOILERS!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By kasaioni

I remember watching TNG with my mom when I was a kid, and thinking it was mostly boring. Was I watching the season 1 boring stuff? Or maybe I was just too young to care.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

btw Riker is voiced by Solid Snake in the Japanese dub of TNG.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm really glad that Dan has started watching TNG and is enjoying it.

@rincewind:I also really enjoyed Voyager.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish there was a guide out there for Doctor Who like Max's

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

btw Riker is voiced by Solid Snake in the Japanese dub of TNG.

That is kinda amazing.

tikimorpher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think voyager gets remembered poorly because it has the worst ending in history, but the show wasn't bad at all.

@2headedninja said:
    @horseman6 said:

Enterprise is pretty boring.

I'm probably among the 10 people on this planet that liked Enterprise, I don't understand the hate it gets.

Add me to the 10 because enterprise was great and i was mad it got cancelled right when it was getting good. I mean, they had a fucking swat team instead of sending in every bridge crew member on away missions.

The salamander episode makes your argument invalid.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I watched a ton of TNG as a kid, really enjoyed it. I didn't catch it every day though, so I'm sure I wasn't seeing them in perfect order. As people have noted, it's very episodic - there is an overall arc to the characters and things do change permanently over time as a result of certain episodes, but for the most part you're okay if you don't see them all.

I think people are perhaps misunderstanding the point of Max's guide - he isn't necessarily suggesting that the rest of the show isn't worth watching, but rather noting that 178 hours of content is an intimidatingly large amount that some people would be instantly put off by. He selected ~40 hours that he thought were most of the best ones available as a way for people to understand it and take in the key moments over a slightly more manageable timeframe. Of course, if you find you're really enjoying the show then you should absolutely feel free to go through all of them; as it sounds like Dan may already be planning to do.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a ton by osmosis but I honestly can't tell if I enjoyed it.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who compare the early seasons of DS9 to the early seasons of TNG are really just demonstrating that people view those shows differently. I loved TNG from the very first season, and I even missed some of the elements the show shed from those early seasons. I got like 3 seasons into DS9 and barely liked any of it. To me, the early seasons of DS9 are not rough to get through like TNG's early seasons; TNG's early seasons are great.

Some people just don't like DS9. I won't watch any more of it just so I never have to hear about "Bajor" ever again.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@mithhunter55 said:

@excitable_misunderstood_genius:

I love Star Trek but for some reason many DS9 episodes are hard to watch. I think I just don't care about the characters. I haven't been able to get to season 4. Only started trying to watch it last summer. And I keep forgetting to stick to it.

For me, DS9 doesn't get interesting until season 2.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mithhunter55 said:

@excitable_misunderstood_genius:

I love Star Trek but for some reason many DS9 episodes are hard to watch. I think I just don't care about the characters. I haven't been able to get to season 4. Only started trying to watch it last summer. And I keep forgetting to stick to it.

I went a head and watched any episode having to do with Ferengi though. I love Quark, and his disdain for pretty much everything.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The salamander episode makes your argument invalid.

I think it was Matt Rorie that once said, "You're a make your argument invalid!"

@y2ken said:

f course, if you find you're really enjoying the show then you should absolutely feel free to go through all of them; as it sounds like Dan may already be planning to do.

Glad someone said this eventually. I really hope that Max's guide doesn't evolve into some weird sacrosanct fact of life about TNG. If you follow his guide and find yourself very much enjoying anything in the first couple of seasons, and have the time, then just go ahead and watch the whole thing from the beginning. Because I agree with what monkeyking1969 said about nuance and character building. Minus the antagonistic anger that is.

There is nuance of character building in every show for someone. There are nearly always individual life story threads that happen in teh shows especially for the bridge crew. Sure there are classic episodes, but the other stuff is just as important for world building.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I watched DS9 straight through for the first time after it was available on Netflix. The first episode that made me sit up and take notice was Duet, toward the end of season one.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Hearing him talk about it made me want to try I out, can someone link me to the guide he's using?

zemorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zemorg

Star Trek virgin here too.

I've started watching TNG just now myself.

Movie length first episode is kinda terrible to be honest.

I know it's supposed to get better.

But it would want to get A LOT better fast for me to keep watching.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know the first two season get a bad rap, and I know there are a few stinkers in there. But I think there are few great ones there too. Like the Doctor Character in season two, I for one at the time of airing didn't like the character. But the last few years I've re-watched season 2 and have a new appreciation for her and now kinda wish she appeared more.

I think if you want to watch it, give them a try. If an episode bores you or drags, or course skip it. But don't give up on it either.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

Someone came up with an idea for that Michael Dorn spin-off.

That's great, I like worf, but I feel like in the episodes I've seen where they try to expand him as a character it's never enough. He always ends up being kind of flat, but maybe that's the idea.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Pilgore

@rigas said:

I know the first two season get a bad rap, and I know there are a few stinkers in there. But I think there are few great ones there too. Like the Doctor Character in season two, I for one at the time of airing didn't like the character. But the last few years I've re-watched season 2 and have a new appreciation for her and now kinda wish she appeared more.

I think if you want to watch it, give them a try. If an episode bores you or drags, or course skip it. But don't give up on it either.

I thought doctor Pulaski was a far more interesting character than Crusher. Pulaski also had a bit of an arc in treating Data less as a machine and more like a person as season 2 moves forward. I'm nearing the end of season 3 and doctor crusher is just kind goofy to me. There's no weight to her words and you don't feel like she has a lot of experience. Pulaski mean while was kind of a bad-ass, and because of her rank could even in the event of Picard not fulfilling his duties as Captain properly step in and take over.

Fun fact: Doctor Pulaski served on the original Enterprise as well.

No Caption Provided

Also people DON'T. SKIP. EPISODES.

For Christ sake just watch the full thing, it's totally worth it.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some day I'll get into it. Max's guide seems like an awesome idea but I'll just start and the beginning and push through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.