Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but has Dan left Giant Bomb?

• 61 results
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@flstyle said:
    @retrometal said:

If so, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Are you the guy who went to a PAX panel and asked Giant Bomb where Greg Kasavin was at when he'd literally been on Giant Bomb every month to promote Bastion via Building the Bastion?

I still think about this whenever user questions come up at events.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@finaldasa: no clue, I would check it out but my malware blocks it as a suspicious site.

Joking aside Comodo Security blocked Giant Bomb's store as a a risky site for a while. I honest believe they thought it was a site about bombs and I was about to make a purchase.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So already Dan's stream is pretty manipulative like all twitch streamers are. He has a big "Let's make it 100 subs!" bar on his stream, showing how many subs he has, and how m any more he wants.

Like, I'm a big Dan fan- I think he was awesome. But after seeing what he did on GB, seeing how change to a twitch streamer is a little dissapointing

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By BisonHero

@sombre: Look, I’m in the opposite position: I’m not really a fan of Dan and his whole persona. But all the Twitch stuff you’re calling him out on strikes me as “don’t hate the playa, hate the game.” That’s just the Twitch ecosystem.

I agree it’s a little weird, but I think you’re being overly harsh. Like in the past couple weeks while browsing Twitch, it knows I watch Giant Bomb’s stream so it suggested “hey, viewers like you might also watch: Dan Ryckert, Mike Mahardy, Mary Kish, Nina Freeman” and a few others. When I pop into those streams of game journos/game devs for whom Twitch is not their main income but more of a quarantine distraction, Dan is kinda the only one shilling for subs.

But is this a surprise? Dan is nothing if not a consistent self promoter. He’s trying out the Twitch hustle while he has a lot of time at home. I’m honestly surprised Dan doesn’t just have a Patreon that he links people to all the time. I guess his Twitch subs and his self-published books are the closest thing.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I don't know how many patreons Dan has but I'm pretty sure his Panning the Stream has one that he mentions every show so he's certainly not against it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This thread seems to be going in a negative direction.

Dan's great, he did a ton of good shit on GB and GI before that. Things are weird now and he's doing his best to keep busy and continue to build his following (his "brand").

I haven't been following his Twitch but I wish that dude all the best forever.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is there some sort of stigma towards pushing yourself if you are gonna be on twitch?

Like, y'all think you should just become a streamer for the fun of it only?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316:

Agree on how this thread has gone in a negative direction.

The question has been answered. Yes, Dan Ryckert left Giant Bomb. It happened months ago.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This thread just won't die.

Gerorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Gerorne

@sombre: Did you ever like Dan at all? That doesn't seem all that different from his "Anime is dumb," "[Insert food he's never heard about or tried yet] is dumb," or other "[Insert topic of your choice that he's ignorant about] is dumb."

He calls plenty of things he doesn't understand dumb or unimportant. Then when he finally gets it, it's the best thing ever of all time.

That's just who he is, and who he has always been this whole time. It's not really anything new.

pickupthepurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Dan and miss the energy/enthusiasm/infectious laughter he brought to GB. I think he was especially synergetic with Vinny. I don't think GB East is worse off or anything. It's just missing a chaotic energy that it had before.

I appreciated Dan's twitch persona initially. He would play a lot of games I have an affinity for, while earnestly engaging with his chat. Too many twitch streamers that I watch (and enjoy otherwise) treat their audiences as peasants. I'd rather watch someone either focus solely on the game or just have fun with their chat; I don't need to watch a person who speedruns Link to the Past act like their viewers are a nuisance and beneath them.

However, I do think Dan works best when he's boxed in a bit. GB, and GI before it, did a good job of tempering Dan and allowed him to be focus into creating coherent content. I've tried to watch some of his recent playthroughs, like OOT or Viewtiful Joe, but I have a hard time enjoying constant barrages of Waluigi yells and realistic shit-farts. I don't blame Dan really, but people donating up to $50 dollars to make a minute+ soundbite of a fart or constantly ordering him Taco Bell just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially with current world conditions. Sometimes Dan is a bit more focused when he has a guest on, which I enjoy a lot more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.