Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

What do you think Dan's GOTY is?

• 64 results
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Edited By TheMasterDS

Poll What do you think Dan's GOTY is? (760 votes)

Super Mario Maker 50%
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 48%
    Other 2%

Dan said his GOTY has come down to two games and he recently decided the order they should be in. I think it's pretty clear the two games are Super Mario Maker and Metal Gear Solid V (two games which came out on the same day) but what order do you think he decided on?

I think it's Super Mario Maker. It's just the best. Also it's allowed Dan to play it up as a heel which he absolutely loves. He's suffered for his Mario Maker art. He's made Klepek suffer for his art. This is all magical. As solid mechanically as MGSV is it can't measure up to what Mario Maker has allowed to happen. Plus they're amazing tools on top of an amazing engine, even without the Ryckening it's worthy of high high praise.

What do you think? Super Mario Maker? Metal Gear Solid V? Some other unlikely option? Vote and shit!

• 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Seems like he's getting a lot more critical of Phantom Pain on Metal Gear Scanlon. He's not blind to its problems, but it's hard to predict because those personal top ten lists are, uh, very personal. I think almost certainly that Super Mario Maker is the site's GOTY. But, I've always cared less about what is the final choice and more about the discussion that gets there. Usually, the actual GOTY discussion is even less interesting than the heated arguments surrounding the rest of the top ten.

This year will be very interesting. Lots of different perspectives with different games people really took to while others barely played. MGS is kind of the only touchstone I think most of the crew has.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Undertale

No, not really, but I am still pleasantly surprised at how much Dan seemed to enjoy the game. That's enough for me.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii u may not have many games, a year, but damn if they're not game-ass games (i'm admittedly assuming xenoblade chronicles x's greatness here but it seems pretty in the bag)

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mellotronrules

i'mma say mario maker- i think he'll recognize that a large part of metal gear's appeal is his own investment in it. i'm not saying that to be critical of MGS5- i just think he's keen to reward nintendo this go-around.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Every one of the Mario Party games.

If we're talking 2015 in particular, Dan's choices for GOTY would be between Mario Party 10 and Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.

On topic though, I feel like MGS5 will squeak by Super Mario Maker for Dan. I remember on one episode of Unprofessional Fridays where Dan was talking about if aliens demanded for the greatest action game ever made, he said The Phantom Pain would be that pick. I think that viewpoint will hold up for him in GOTY discussions, even though he's made countless tortures in SMM.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, I'm 60% of the MGS fan that Dan is (I mathed it, don't you question me!), and it's my GOTY, so that makes MGSV Dan's Super Game Of The Year judging by the 40% boost.

However, Dan is an inscrutable man with inscrutable views, so I'm going to go ahead and say that the Dan Ryckert Game of the Year 2015 (Sponsored by Chili's) will be Dying Light, on account of being able to drop kick zombies like a wrestly-man.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@shagge said:

Well, I'm 60% of the MGS fan that Dan is (I mathed it, don't you question me!), and it's my GOTY, so that makes MGSV Dan's Super Game Of The Year judging by the 40% boost.

However, Dan is an inscrutable man with inscrutable views, so I'm going to go ahead and say that the Dan Ryckert Game of the Year 2015 (Sponsored by Chili's) will be Dying Light, on account of being able to drop kick zombies like a wrestly-man.

Actually, the less of a MGS fan you are, the more you like MGS V.

Since its barely a MGS game to begin with.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: I was going to reply with a joke, but no, you're dead-on. MGSV is a different animal, and while I adore the rest of the franchise, I like that we got something completely unique. I don't love everything about where the story goes or the weird F2P trappings, of course, but by and large I think V is an incredible game.

I completely understand why a more die-hard MGS devotee would be left hating it, though.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I want it to be Mario Maker but I think its gonna be MGSV.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling it now: Jeff vs Brad debating whether Mario Maker "is a game" or not is going to be the saltiest beef of the discussions.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Maker without a doubt. As time passes and Konami continues to update MGSV with disgusting after disgusting pushes toward microtransaction, the gap between Mario Maker and MGSV widens. It is no longer a contest between the two for Dan anymore (where it once may have been at the beginning).

YesIndeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodlymike said:

Every one of the Mario Party games.

I remember on one episode of Unprofessional Fridays where Dan was talking about if aliens demanded for the greatest action game ever made, he said The Phantom Pain would be that pick.

And during extra life, he stated that SMM might be the best game ever made. Best game > best action game. I'd be shocked if he went with MGS over SMM based solely on the way he's been talking about SMM.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Maker
    Metal Gear is going to be pretty high there... say... number 2.

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#65  Edited By TheMasterDS

I was right!

We were very divided on this and I think the people who were wrong slightly outnumber those right. They're both 49% so you can't really tell.

Better luck next year those who got it wrong!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Not surprising that he went with SMM, though I voted for MGSV in this poll. He gushed so much about MGSV when it first came out. It is the best playing Metal Gear Solid game and he does love it, but he loves messing with Klepek more. That's cool too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.