Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 01, 2015

A remastered release of Dark Souls II, featuring a graphical upgrade, increased online player limit, remixed locations for items and enemies, and includes all of the previously released DLC.

Might be the most amazing Souls experience I've had yet.

• 72 results
    bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Nobody has seen a Dark Souls 2 PS3 to PS4 upgrade program anywhere right? I know gamestop had one for TLOU. Would rather not lay another $60 into this game but will if necessary.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Gruebacca

Everything I've heard about this makes me want to play it, but since I owned the PS3 version getting it on Steam for full price doesn't seem worth it.

If only that Steam/Playstation account linking thing was used beyond being a marketing gimmick for Portal 2.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nobody has seen a Dark Souls 2 PS3 to PS4 upgrade program anywhere right? I know gamestop had one for TLOU. Would rather not lay another $60 into this game but will if necessary.

I wish, that was a beautiful promotion.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, they might have broken the game for me with this addition. There's nearly double the enemies in any given area now, but your weapons still degrade at the same rate (faster if you didn't play at 60fps previously), so it's literally impossible to kill everything between one bonfire and the next without going back to the original bonfire repeatedly to repair your weapon.

There are so many new enemies seemingly designed to prevent you from making boss runs, that you have to kill most of them on the way, and then you get to the boss finally and your weapon breaks halfway into the fight. I'd use a repair powder, but you can't get an infinite supply until the last quarter of the game, and they're seeming pretty rare otherwise (I've gone through all of mine getting through Heide's Tower). There might just be something I'm missing, but it really feels like they added too much without rebalancing anything.

The bosses are still all complete pushovers though, which just makes it an even weirder experience.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: I find keeping two or three diff kinds of weapons upgraded that have diff uses has helped drastically in this regard. Right now I'm playing a strength/faith build and am rolling with a zweihander for cc/reach, mace for armored dudes and lightning resistent, and the dragonslayer crescent axe for lightning damage. I was using a bastard sword I may put fire or dark on. I usually am about halfway through durability on two weapons when I get to the area boss and just drop a sign to coop if I need flasks or repairs.

I was frustrated as hell in the beginning but now I really like having the extra weapons around. I can see this being a big problem for dual wielders though.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Honestly, they might have broken the game for me with this addition. There's nearly double the enemies in any given area now, but your weapons still degrade at the same rate (faster if you didn't play at 60fps previously), so it's literally impossible to kill everything between one bonfire and the next without going back to the original bonfire repeatedly to repair your weapon.

There are so many new enemies seemingly designed to prevent you from making boss runs, that you have to kill most of them on the way, and then you get to the boss finally and your weapon breaks halfway into the fight. I'd use a repair powder, but you can't get an infinite supply until the last quarter of the game, and they're seeming pretty rare otherwise (I've gone through all of mine getting through Heide's Tower). There might just be something I'm missing, but it really feels like they added too much without rebalancing anything.

The bosses are still all complete pushovers though, which just makes it an even weirder experience.

Yep. I know exactly what you're talking about re: enemies designed to prevent boss runs. I'm at Huntsman's Copse right now and they've actually taken enemies AWAY in some instances. I swear the run up to the executioner's chariot where there's the dudes on the poles has less guys. There's also one of those guys with the dark buffed staffs just before that, and originally there was 2 hollow adds to him, and now they're gone. So far the remixing feels really strange and inconsistent and I'm actually inclined to say that I think the original placements were mostly better. A lot of the changes feel like they were done for the fuck of it. Heide's is a really bad area for it. Going through there on this playthrough was agony. Pure unrelenting fucking agony.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By handlas

I picked this up. Sigh, nothing beats 60 FPS (most of the time at least... I see it dropping sometimes). Makes me cringe to play anymore Bloodborne. I'd rather a game look worse and have a solid 50-60. DS2 still looks nice and man it looks buttery smooth at times. I just can't understand people that defend bad frame rates. Okay, mini-rant over.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

See, I hate how this looks/feels at 60. I want 30 back. It makes me dizzy and hurts my eyes, kinda gives me a headache. Maybe I need glasses. But any game I play at 60 does that. Its how fast it is.

Also not liking how quickly the weapons break. I went through 5 weapons in the first area. I might hold off playing until that is patched.

As someone who played this for a hundreds of hours on PS3, I had hard time with this after bloodborne and the issues with my eyes, that I didn't have on PS3.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Im in the midst of my ds2 play through, which is fantastic, but no way in hell will i drop full price for a mod. Now when its $10 sold.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man some of these new placements are killer. Super awesome, not expected, but also hard! The thing before the Ancient Dragonknight bosses....god damn that thing. I usually go to that zone first with a character...not this time.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Just beat the last boss today. Working on the DLC stuff right now. Having a lot a fun with it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why they added a statue that needs a fragrant branch of yore in the tutorial. That seemed really odd to me. And that first big new dude surprised me, almost killed me. And I was sad they removed the hiede knight, I wanted that weapon.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Top8Gamer

I don't really get the fuss with durability in DS2. Maybe it's because i always played it on PC so wasn't spoiled on 360/PS3. They just made durability relevant in this game instead of having no point in the first DS. It's a resource you have to manage same as arrows or spell charges. I've never had any trouble with it. You should have more then 1 weapon anyway because no one weapon is best for all occasions. At least this version is more generous with handing out repair powders and the repair spell is accessible much earlier in the game.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been super enjoying SOTFS, the enemy placement is wonderfully agonizing at times. The durability isn't much of a problem now that they give you so much fucking titanite, just get 2 or 3 other weapons. Bring some repair powder or learn the repair spell.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone playing the game fresh? I hear a lot about how the new enemy placement makes the game harder, but that would be a non-issue if you're coming in for the first time.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap, Iron Keep is now a clown car of Alonne Knights. A lot of the new enemy placement is somewhat meaningful and interesting, but some of it is just the developers being dicks. So far it's been a lot of enemies jumping down from cliffs behind you and then three more climbing up the ledge in front of you. I like when enemies show up in new places like the shadow ninja guys popping out of nowhere, but I struggle to defend the places where they just pile on more of the same enemies. So far though, Earthen Peak and Iron Keep have been the only real offenders, everything else has been pretty cool.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Anyone playing the game fresh? I hear a lot about how the new enemy placement makes the game harder, but that would be a non-issue if you're coming in for the first time.

I mean you wouldn't notice it, but it'd be a difference. DS II, from the start, is probably the easiest Souls game, I found. I wished it was a bit harder because I actually liked a lot of other changes to the formula but thought a bit more challenge would have been nice.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: I'm desperately hoping then when I get the Buckler I can't start Parrying like a Yharnam Hunter.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@top8gamer: I'm loving it too duder; easily my favorite experience with a souls game yet.

I'm playing the first Crown DLC for the first time and I'm loving the environment! I can't say I'm loving the enemies though, variety's nice, but these guys are assssholesss.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I was doing so good with not dying. Taking it some what slow and keeping an eye out for all that was changed. This this fucking turtle knight comes out of no where and back stabs me. Bastard. This is much harder than I ever remember it being. Also after bloodborne I feel slow and unresponsive. Need to get that adp up.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

This was the main reason I decided to get SotFS. Bloodborne didn't quite do it for me in the replay department, but I still wanted a somewhat fresh Souls experience. The mixed up enemy and item placements is a welcome change. Makes the game feel somewhat fresh.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuckin' Pursuer. He is showing up everywhere. And hes a real son of bitch this time too. Always sneaking up behind me.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Them hiding bonfires behind statues that require fragrant branches of yore is bullshit. Also fuck all these unnecessary statues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.