Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Dark Souls 2, xbox360 or ps3?

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi I'm new here and I just want to know which version do you think will be better.
    Based of your knowledge of the series and the beta.
    In technical terms etc., because I've read that the ps3 version of Dark Souls was more stable.

Because according to a site here in Sweden they have an exclusive collector edition which I kinda want, so I'll be spending a lot more for the game and I would appreciate any replies, thanks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@vladd said:

Hi I'm new here and I just want to know which version do you think will be better.

In technical terms etc., because I've read that the ps3 version of Dark Souls was more stable.

Because according to a site here in Sweden they have an exclusive collector edition which I kinda want, so I'll be spending a lot more for the game and I would appreciate any replies, thanks.

I'm fairly certain both versions will be similar to the point where any differences will be negligible at best. Dark Souls, as far as I know, didn't have any leaps-and-bounds advantages in terms of performance on either platform.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Other than frame rate issues (which were mostly negligible) all platforms works fine on previous games. I suspect they will do even better this time so I wouldn't worry about which is going to be better.

Any version you get will be fine, if their past record holds up.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I played the beta on Ps3 and it seemed fine, but I can't imagine there'll be much difference between platforms. At least from what we know now.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I recall correctly, the PC version of Dark Souls was the only with its own set of problems. Though, I think I heard that's been largely worked out by now. Not to say that the games didn't have some technical hiccups otherwise.

I'm guessing they'll be doing everything they can to have them running identically on both the 360 and PS3 versions, and hopefully even better on the PC when that happens. My suggestion would be to go where your friends are, on the off chance you might encounter them online, if you want to compare achievements or trophies, or maybe just chat while playing. That or whichever controller you prefer, I suppose.

I used to buy my multiplatform games for the 360, but over the past year have switched over to the PS3 for that. The controller has grown on me for everything but FPS games, I have some subconscious preference toward Blu-ray discs over DVDs, and my PS3 is much newer thus running quieter. I'll probably grab it for PS3, but I don't have any reasoning directly related to the game for that decision.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By AssInAss

PC, if it's a good port this time around. I can't imagine playing these games with a 25 or less framerate. Sometimes, that framerate was an actual killer. It's nice to play Dark Souls right now with a 40+fps on my laptop.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC!! All the way!!

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@vladd said:

I'm fairly certain both versions will be similar to the point where any differences will be negligible at best. Dark Souls, as far as I know, didn't have any leaps-and-bounds advantages in terms of performance on either platform.

The PS3 version will be better.

Just kidding they're the same.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Steadying

PS3 version will probably be better judging by their track record.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you must play it on console, go with PS3. If you can play on PC, go with the PC version.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@vladd: Hello, welcome to Giantbomb.

As others have said, it's probably irrelevant. Dark Souls 1 worked similarly on both Xbox 360 and PS3 so it's likely to do so again this time.

There's a possibility that the 360 version is better due to them also making a PC version this time (And they may, in turn, follow the current model of PC version as the best version, then 360 as best port and PS3 as weakest port due to the different way in which the PS3 works). That said, with them originally having Demon's Souls a PS3-exclusive, they may actually be better at using the PS3 and then it becomes the better port as resources are split between 360 and PC. So I don't think you can predict it either. With how bad the PC port of the original Dark Souls was, I don't think we can be certain that is even the best version this time.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Buy them all. Like me. Why only own it on one platform, when you can own them all. COLLEKT ALL DA SOULZ!!!!!!!!!1!!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm hoping they announce it for PS4 and Xbox One soon.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ripelivejam

wii u

e: seriously i'll probably buy it for ps3 to start playing right when it comes out then pc later to hopefully experience it in hi-res audio. i'm just afraid i may end up not playing it very much before it releases for the pc console.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By sammo21

I still have two PS3s in my house as well as a PC and a PS4. I have a feeling that sometime next year a version of DS2 will show up on PS4 and Xbone but I will get it on PS3 at first and then go from there. Even if I still had a 360 I wouldn't get dark souls for the system.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sinusoidal

Hopefully they've learned their lesson from Blight Town and the Poison Swamp from Dark Souls - which chugged along in the fps department on both consoles I understand - they were real ugly on my PS3 anyway.

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arch4non: Of course, PC is the master race but the PC version "might" get delayed, anyone got a date on that?
    Plus I have a really nice plasma TV in the living room :).

My plan is to play through the whole series starting with Dark Souls 2 (I don't want to prepare for it).

Thanks guys for the answers!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

PC, most likely.

Even if it's a terrible port, someone will fix it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

I actually found Dark Souls to run better than Demon's Souls. Dark Souls got a little chuggy when you're in blighttown, but other than that I had no problems. Whereas Demon's Souls sometimes slowed to a crawl from really random things, mostly to me it was ragdoll physics after you kill something.

PS I played Dark Souls on 360. All the reports I've heard though is that Blighttown is kind of slow on both platforms so it really doesn't matter what version you choose.

So yeah. Any version will probably be great.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Neither. The PC version.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel like the series is aligned as a Playstation IP only because of its roots back to Demon's Souls and From Software. But play it on whatever you want, the PS3 and 360 versions will be mostly identical, and there's no chat or playing with friends so the network is of minor importance.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC if you care about ports/framerate/blah, PS3/360 if you want to play it at launch.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ouya??

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Canteu

PC. The Japanese man said it would be baller this time, that's why I have to wait.

That's totally what he said!

"My plan is to play through the whole series starting with Dark Souls 2 (I don't want to prepare for it)." But...but you have to prepare to die! You can't just waltz in expecting to know how to die! Preparation is key!

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo, the playstation is the only acceptable platform to play on. I'm glad more people can enjoy the Souls games, but Ps3 is still the 'true' platform for the games.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hatking said:

If I recall correctly, the PC version of Dark Souls was the only with its own set of problems. Though, I think I heard that's been largely worked out by now. Not to say that the games didn't have some technical hiccups otherwise.

I'm guessing they'll be doing everything they can to have them running identically on both the 360 and PS3 versions, and hopefully even better on the PC when that happens. My suggestion would be to go where your friends are, on the off chance you might encounter them online, if you want to compare achievements or trophies, or maybe just chat while playing. That or whichever controller you prefer, I suppose.

I used to buy my multiplatform games for the 360, but over the past year have switched over to the PS3 for that. The controller has grown on me for everything but FPS games, I have some subconscious preference toward Blu-ray discs over DVDs, and my PS3 is much newer thus running quieter. I'll probably grab it for PS3, but I don't have any reasoning directly related to the game for that decision.

The Main thing the PC had over console versions was well, the DLC came out before ps3's which I had originally bought the ps3 versions & there was no Lag during certain scenes / area's that consoles would slow down at. Otherwise the pc problems did amount to many.

I pre-ordered for ps3 as thats how I roll and if you dont like it, you can Git Out!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.