Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Red Phantoms

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i noticed that you can summon red phantoms. Are they enemies or just like white or yellow phantoms?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By handlas

enemies

They are dark spirits. I'm guessing they are in a Dark covenant thing. Once I beat the game I saw the red signs and the dragon eye signs all over the place for some PvP.

From my experience, which is probably completely arbitrary, the red sign guys always seemed harder than the dragon covenant guys. Plus, when you summon a red sign they spawn elsewhere in the level. The dragon signs always spawned where the sign is made. Not sure why as I have not been in either covenant.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really a bad deal summoning those guys in. You drop your humanity if you lose and almost every one I've seen has been an aggressively min-maxed PVP build. One of them even 3 shotted my dragon ring with mele somehow. Not fun

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Yeah, they're dark spirits. It's no different than if you were invaded by one, only you of course have a little more control over the fight since you're the one willingly inviting them into your world. Though again, they're the same as if you were invaded, so they can't use estus flasks (but can still use healing miracles) however enemy NPCs will not react to them, so they may also sometimes escape to bunker next to an enemy NPC mob.

They're placed down because unlike in prior Souls games, the items used to invade others are finite, and while in NG+ you can buy more for 10K souls each, you can alternatively place down a red summon sign instead as many as times you want. Plus, some people just really enjoy the PVP and would like to fight a little more 'honourably' as opposed to invading some guy in the middle of their playthrough.

Winning the bout will still reward them tokens of spite anywhoo, so it's there as an alternative for trying to level up the Brotherhood of Blood covenant. What's funny is you could also potentially summon in some friendly white/yellow phantoms as well, even before you've summoned the dark spirit player, if you're in an especially cruel mood ;P

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

It's really a bad deal summoning those guys in. You drop your humanity if you lose and almost every one I've seen has been an aggressively min-maxed PVP build. One of them even 3 shotted my dragon ring with mele somehow. Not fun

?

There is no humanity item in Dark Souls II. You lose part of your overall humanity whenever you die. This also includes dark spirits, but it also happens when you play offline and die.

Also, the myth that you need a specific build for PvP is just that. A myth. I've never created a character for PvP. Always just what I like to use. If I can do more DPS with a certain weapon, but like the look and feel of another weapon better, I'll still use the latter. I've never used armor that has high stats. Always pick the one I like the look of.

In the end, I still win the majority of times I'm invaded.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@sdharrison said:

?

There is no humanity item in Dark Souls II. You lose part of your overall humanity whenever you die. This also includes dark spirits, but it also happens when you play offline and die.

I think he meant that you can lose your "human" status, and possible souls. It's weird how they have little risk associated with them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.