Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Weapon Suggestion for Dark Chasm and optional bosses?

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Thiago123

I finished DS2 with a Halberd +10. I'm used to Halberds and the combo of damage + reach even from back in DS1. In DS2, however, Halberds were changed to more of Dex weapons and I am a STR build - only the regular Halberd seems to have better STR scaling AND only the regular Halberd has the additional spear attack of thrust with shield raised (well of the ones I have tried so far, any other ones that I may have missed?).

I still have to defeat the Ancient Dragon to get the last Giant Soul, Kill Vendrick, and complete the Dark Chasm of Old. The first two are bosses that I have to learn the patterns more, but the Dark Chasm has completely kicked my butt so far, and I'm not trying to use ALL of my effigies lol. Any weapon suggestions for that area? The tight spaces and armored ironclads seem to laugh at the halberd. Some high damage with decent reach would be good.

I've tried the Zweihander +10 since I used that weapon at +15 in DS1 with great success, but the changes to the attack animations and the lack of the area of effect on the heavy strike really nerfed it. I'm leaning towards the Black Knight UGS or fully upgrading some of the early power swords like Drangleic or Heide Knight, but wanted to take suggestions before sinking a bunch of mats into them.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

I went through all the Dark Chasm of Olds by 2 handing a BKH+5. The easiest one is the one with Havel. I like that it scales with Str, Dex and Fire (Int and/or Faith). Actually I went through the entire game two handing the BKH once I got it. I'm pretty sure there is another Halberd that has thrust attack, as it's 2 hand R2 attack is a spear R2 instead of a Halberd R2. It's the Helix Halberd and is in the Shrine of Amana and needs a Pharos Stone to access. I haven't used most of the other halberds outside of a couple minutes looking at their stats and trying their moves and seeing if they'd match the BKH. I do have a standard Halberd at +10 Lightning just in case the BKH degrades or breaks.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By groin

I used the Halberd and Black Knight Halberd for my first playthrough. I needed two weapons because one weapon would often break before reaching the boss gate or next bonfire. The BKH also has the thrusting while behind a shield attack. I started to upgrade a claymore towards the end of the game because its heavy attack is a thrusting motion and its regular light attack has decent stunlock potential.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Thiago123

@mosespippy and @groin - Thanks for the feedback - I did go back and get the BKH recently. It was definitely a Halberd I was interested in from DS1 after watching LOLS, but it never dropped for me until the end of the game, and by that time, Zweihander +15 was a better option. I was excited to get it in this game, but I didn't have a Fragrant Branch my first time in the area, and moreover was really disappointed when the stats were switched to be a Dex weapon. Maybe I'll use a Soul Vessel and reset stats.

@mosespippy - what did your loadout (armor, rings, defenses etc) look like through the area? I went in there with Havels set and kind of tanking it, so I am curious as it kicked my butt disproportionately to the rest of the game.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

At that point I was probably around level 170-180 with

• Elite Knight Armour +10
    • Elite Knight Leggings +10
    • Leather Gloves +10
    • Vengarl's Helm +5
    • Third Dragon's Ring
    • Chloranthy +1
    • Hunter's Blackbow +10 with Poison Arrows
    • Old Sun Ring
    • Can't remember the other ring

I had 40 Str and 40 Dex for most of the game but I think by that point I was getting 3 more damage for every 2 dex but only 2 more fire damage for every 2 int/faith levels so I might have been pushing 50 Dex. I keep my equip load around 51-56%. Since I haven't used a shield all game I know my dodges and backsteps really well, including their iframes and my Adp is only 20. It's also very important to keep the fight in a small area so that you don't argo more than 2 enemies at once. The BKH is also good for the end boss for the area as he's weak to fire.

Since then I've increased my physical defense by 14% and my elemental defenses by 44.8% by switching to Steel Gauntlets +10, Steel Leggings +10 and the Black Which Robes +5 while keeping Vengarl's Helm. The weight stayed the same and my Poise increased too. I only lost 8 poison resistance.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I went through the dark chasm areas throwing lightning bolts at people and running away like a little girl.

I'd say skip ancient dragon unless you want to beat him for personal satisfaction as there is no trophy for beating him and Vendrick is easily beatable with 4 giant souls. I did it just last night.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Use the great lightning spear ''weapon''. Seriously, it just rips through those fools.

airpi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're still looking for a strength halberd, the mastodon halberd is what you need. It has beastly base damage and A rank strength scaling when fully upgraded. Absolutely no dex scaling though, so keep that in mind.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Wemibelle

Is Dark Chasm those three covenant areas? If so, I used a Great Club to excellent effect in those areas. Using the 2H heavy swing makes the club flatten anyone it hits. Repeat this over and over and the phantoms can't even get up. As long as you pull them one at a time, those areas are cake.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: This may very well be the first thing I try since I have one in my inventory already and am at or near 50 STR.

@pyrodactyl: & @demoskinos: Will use this as a last resort - I'm hoping to get this done without respec and I have no points in INT/FTH/ATN

@airpi: Can you only get the mastodon halberd as a drop from the mastodons? I tried killing several while wearing Gold Covetous Serpent Ring, but no luck.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@thiago123: Yep Halberd is from the Mastodons; can even drop off the ones in Doors of Pharos; one of the best weapons in the game (though still vastly inferior to easier to acquire spells).

Just like everything else the Malformed Skull and the Great Club are both pretty great for Dark Chasm of Old.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gerrid

for the blue phantoms, an upgraded Greatsword or Large Club will wreck things, just use a bow to pull enemies one at a time.

then for the final bit, if you're really struggling, a +10 pyromancy flame, a southern ritual band and firestorm will end your time in the abyss in under 60 seconds, even if you only have 5 faith or so. requires no stat or level investment at all

this is a last resort though, since it doesn't feel like a proper victory if you're used to melee. just if you are on the verge of running out of effigies.

a club or great sword will do yo very well against the ancient dragon too, who is not so tough as long as you learn to bait the moves you want and avoid the one move that will ohko.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.