Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Are you ready to get eaten by treasure chests?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HerbieBug

That's brutal.  I wonder if there is anyway to detect them?  100% damage for a trap seems... excessive. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I thought chests were my friends...

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ventilaator

This game continues to look way more Super Meat Boy for someone who liked Demon's Souls because it was a good game, not because some hardcore machoism that people associate with fans of that game.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
    Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I knew one day my obsession to collect everything in a treasure chest would kill me...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

The monster chest in this video and that large, fire-breathing dragon in the other demo area have me a bit worried that they've put a lot of bullshit deaths in the game to make it more "hardcore". There doesn't seem to be any way to know that the chest is hostile, or that the dragon will cover the ground in fire when you approach it. 

Maybe I'm wrong and that Japanese guy explained that there was some way to see that it was a trap, or that there was some way to avoid getting eaten even after you had opened it. I sure hope that's the case...

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By chainreaction01

Torchlight had similar man eating chests, but they wouldn't one-shot you. At least in that game I got in the habit of shooting every chest before I touched it, would hope that you could do something similar here.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By McGhee

There will probably be voted up messages warning you away from chest. Or maybe voted up messages telling you there's great treasure inside. ;)

Wait, are they doing that kind of messaging for this game?

Challenge9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Challenge9000

Wow, insta-kill chests. I guess you would learn not to trust all chests in the game, but that's kinda lame. As others have stated, I hope there is a way to detect different chests.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:

The monster chest in this video and that large, fire-breathing dragon in the other demo area have me a bit worried that they've put a lot of bullshit deaths in the game to make it more "hardcore".

Wait wait, wasn't that what the first game was all about?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael
    @President_Barackbar: There were a few bullshit spots, but generally you were fine as long as you remained careful and attentive. The trap chest and the dragon's fire in this game's demos seem literally unavoidable unless you already know what's going to happen.
    Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Devoid

Now that's how Mimics should be! Also that's kinda bullshit.

At least there's the message/bloodstain system to warn about these, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Anwar: At what point in the video does a mimic appear? I don't really want to watch the whole thing because I liked walking into places that were completely strange with monsters that were completely strange in Demon's Souls and finding out how to do with them more or less on my own. That said, everything I saw when skipping to certain points in the video looks awesome.

Edit: The fact that the chest deals damage incrementally, however quickly, makes me think there's probably some way to break free. I could be wrong, but Demon's Souls was surprisingly lenient at times, like in the fight against the Penetrator.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McHampton

@ViciousAnchovy: At about 16:25

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ninjalegend

I took the 4th and 5th off for this and Rage. I'm ready to have my ps3 melt down into a pile of plastic and circuits from overuse.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Questionable

Demon's souls was all about learning and applying said knowledge.  
    I bet that treasure chests will be a rare-ish encounter alltogether so hitting them (is a ranged attack even needed?) before opening should only be a minor inconvenience . 

even as a Dark souls supporter i cant say i am not worried about the Bandai collaboration, Looking at the official preparetodie.com website not only did they completely miss the point with its title. They took the gaming equilevant of lonesomeness and gave it facebook integration.  Add to this the PR's proclamation of a increase in death traps as if it was a much desired treat for the consumer 

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By swamplord666

timestamp is 16.25 btw

and yeah that kind've sucks :/ But i'm sure they're not dumb enough to make it indistinguishable to normal chests

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Questionable
    @swamplord666 said:

timestamp is 16.25 btw

and yeah that kind've sucks :/ But i'm sure they're not dumb enough to make it indistinguishable to normal chests

They probably have lock-on disabled in their inactive state so the only way to find out is to poke them with a attack. It would have been interesting if these chest monsters did WAY LESS damage and real chests had a chance to be destroyed. 
     Right now it looks like a shoot first, ask questions later approach is encouraged wich is counter to the original DS design 

I have already Pre-ordered this game and know that it will be a fantastic game for me tough the thought lingers this could still have been even better without Bandai intervention. Wich is highly hipocritical since without Bandai there would have been no Dark souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.