Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Can't exceed +6 Battle Axe?

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

After my tryst with Sif I went farming for Large Titanite Shards in Depths and got what I thought would be the upgrade patter of 9 shards. I currently have a +5 Battle Axe and since I'm focusing on STR I was going to go to +10 or 15 to take advantage of the scaling until I could do Lighting later on. For some reason I can't get the Battle Axe to upgrade beyond +6 and I still have 8 shards in my inventory. I'm using Andrei at the Undead Parish and he already has the Divine and Large Ember.

Anyone know why I can't upgrade any further?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

You modify it to +6.
    You REINFORCE it to +7 up to 10.

I was clueless for a little while too before I figured it out.

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

@TaliciaDragonsong: Thanks, I feel really stupid now. :) I should delete this thread if I can.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By gla55jAw

@Zombieheadbutt said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: Thanks, I feel really stupid now. :) I should delete this thread if I can.

I had this problem for a while too. The Undeadberg blacksmith brings it to +6, then you have to do it at a bonfire for the rest. I could have upgraded my stuff hours and hours earlier until I figured this out.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @gla55jAw said:

@Zombieheadbutt said:

I had this problem for a while too. The Undeadberg blacksmith brings it to +6, then you have to do it at a bonfire for the rest. I could have upgraded my stuff hours and hours earlier until I figured this out.

Blacksmith works too, just be sure to pick reinforce and not modify.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gla55jAw

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@gla55jAw said:

@Zombieheadbutt said:

Blacksmith works too, just be sure to pick reinforce and not modify.

I've done that, but when it goes up to +6, it disappears from the inventory list of items to upgrade for me.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @gla55jAw
    Modify the weapon to +6 (which is the only way to get it +6).
    Then reinforce the weapon to +7 and up, it should be in the normal reinforcement list.

If you can reinforce it at a campfire, you can reinforce it at a blacksmith.
    Avatar image for mightybattleaxe
    MightyBattleAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MightyBattleAxe

I had the same problem with my +5 Winged Spear disappearing from the upgrades at the blacksmith... will try this when I get home from work tonight! Good thread :)

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gla55jAw

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@gla55jAw:
    Then reinforce the weapon to +7 and up, it should be in the normal reinforcement list. If you can reinforce it at a campfire, you can reinforce it at a blacksmith.

Oh I gottchya. So you modify it with the blacksmith up to +6, then you go to reinforce and you can do it in either spot.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @gla55jAw said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@gla55jAw:
    Then reinforce the weapon to +7 and up, it should be in the normal reinforcement list. If you can reinforce it at a campfire, you can reinforce it at a blacksmith.

Oh I gottchya. So you modify it with the blacksmith up to +6, then you go to reinforce and you can do it in either spot.

To simplify things a little bit more, it works like this:

When you upgrade a weapon to +5, you can choose a special reinforcement that varies by blacksmith. So you could turn a +5 axe into a Raw Axe, or choose to continue along the normal pathway by choosing +6 Axe.

Once you have selected the upgrade pathway using reinforce at a blacksmith, you can continue upgrading that weapon the regular way (It returns back into the regular menu again).

So for example, once you upgrade your Axe to +5, you go to the blacksmith and choose Weapon Ascension, make it into a +6 Axe, then return to the regular upgrade menu and you will see your Axe has appeared there again and can now be upgraded to +7 and so on to +10. At +10 it reaches the next tier where it can branch again. Different blacksmiths offer different upgrades, and those embers you find unlock more upgrade paths. (Side note: To get a Lightning Axe, you need to upgrade it to +10, then go to the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo to upgrade to lightning.)

This chart will illustrate how upgrading works:
    No Caption Provided
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gla55jAw

@Xeiphyer said:

@gla55jAw said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@gla55jAw:

To simplify things a little bit more, it works like this:

When you upgrade a weapon to +5, you can choose a special reinforcement that varies by blacksmith. So you could turn a +5 axe into a Raw Axe, or choose to continue along the normal pathway by choosing +6 Axe.

Once you have selected the upgrade pathway using reinforce at a blacksmith, you can continue upgrading that weapon the regular way (It returns back into the regular menu again).

So for example, once you upgrade your Axe to +5, you go to the blacksmith and choose Weapon Ascension, make it into a +6 Axe, then return to the regular upgrade menu and you will see your Axe has appeared there again and can now be upgraded to +7 and so on to +10. At +10 it reaches the next tier where it can branch again. Different blacksmiths offer different upgrades, and those embers you find unlock more upgrade paths. (Side note: To get a Lightning Axe, you need to upgrade it to +10, then go to the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo to upgrade to lightning.)

This chart will illustrate how upgrading works:
    No Caption Provided

Thanks. I've done it before, but it took me a while to figure out how to get past +6 since I would keep looking in modify and not reinforce.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.