Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Crystal Geckos and A First Time Souler

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Hi everyone.  First off, I'm a complete beginner to these games.  I followed Demon Souls with a lot of interest but always held off on jumping in; I would have probably done the same for Dark Souls had the Quick Look not completely sold me.  I'm also going sorcerer for my first attempt at this, with the knowledge that that's probably a terrible idea.  I realize that the time I've spent in the game is so small that it shouldn't even count, but so far I'm really enjoying it, that is when I'm not agonizing about the permanent loss of the measly handful of humanities I've been able to gather.

I was in the Undead Burg tower right before the Taurus Demon, and when I rolled through a bunch of barrels out came what I can only assume what was Crystal Gecko, not that I've ever seen one.  I was pretty taken aback at seeing one so early in the game.  There wasn't much doubt it had noticed me, as I had rolled right over it.  I was expecting it to run away, but instead it started to waddle off pretty slowly.  I targeted it and started to follow behind.  It went down the stairs, and for a brief moment it moved out of my line of sight as it went to a lower level.  Of course, once I walked those few steps to where I should have seen it, it was gone. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF 

So, I have some questions about those geckos.  First, is their appearance random?  I'm guessing that it is, but I won't complain if it's there in a future playthrough.  Secondly, is their rarity and usefulness the exact same as it was in Demon Souls?

Anyway, I'm not completely brokenhearted, as this sort of experience was pretty much what I was expecting.  Earlier I had found both a shard and a chunk of Titanite, so I was actually foolish enough to get my spirits up. 

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

@SpaceRunaway: They are not random, and if you don't manage to kill it it'll appear the next time you're there after a world reset (bonfire). So no sweat. :)

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ares42

as far as I know they are not random, and what you get from that one isn't very hard to get as you progress further in the game.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar

They appear in specific places, and will keep respawning after a bonfire visit until they die.  Of course, you might be like me and require quitting to the main menu and reloading to get it to appear.  My game is weird like that.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Fantastic! Thanks for the quick replies, back in I go!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By jacksukeru

They seem to run to a specific spot each time and if you don't kill it before then they do a little chant and teleport away (I suppose it's supposed to be them turning invisible but whatever) I'm guessing you'll always get a single Twinkling titanite from it, but on one of my characters I actually got two as well as two more regular shards and I didn't even have any Humanity at the time :D

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By envane

geckos respawn now on a new save / load or some such effort , they used to disapear for good , only respawning if you killed a boss , now they respawn but only can be killed once . also the fog ring , or hidden body socrcery work wonders in sneaking up on them , if you dont run or roll while cloaked you can walk directly next to them before you start unloading .. without this spell/ring you will probably miss half the geckos in the game as they will see you and run before you even notice them.

they pretty much always drop twinkling titanite and another random shard , but they are alot less important now so dont worry if you miss them , near endgame you have alot more farming choices with enemies in the last area dropping chunks of each color , and the shortcut to lost izalith for farming demon titanite, dragons in valley of drakes for dragon scales , and i swear there was another end game critter that drops twinkling titanite.

also as far as i can tell the gecko hiding in the barrel in undead burg is THE ONLY gecko in a barrel in the entire game , and theres also very few items hidden in destructible objects .. apart from the corpse-in-a-jar situation

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42

@envane: well, according to what I've read you can trade the anti-bleed and poison stuff from the garden for twinkling titanite with snuggly. Sure it's abit inconvenient, but sorta overly easy to farm :P

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Ares42: The Snuggly trades are one time only. It is a great way to get about 4 twinkling titanite and some other rare materials for practically free, though.
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By envane

@Ares42: you can only trade those items once per game tho . so its a limited supply

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.