Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dark Souls PC, a "questionable" port: will you buy it?

• 176 results
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Turambar

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Murdouken said:

There is already a fix for the internal resolution. It took the guy 23 minutes to get it working from when he get a retail copy of the game. It's not completely 100% perfect as it doesn't work properly with anti-aliasing yet and some tutorial messages don't pop up, but if he can do that in 23 minutes, how can From Software seriously justify releasing the game in such a state?

Because that's the state From said the game will be released in? Since you guys are apparently incensed, I'll use an analogy that fits your mindset. If you ask a dealership for a car, and am told that they only have ones without wheels, you'd be pretty fucking stupid for complaining when their car do in fact lack wheels. All the more so when in this instance, you essentially said "a car with no wheels is fine, I want it anyways."

This is not a fucking charity. We aren't getting a free car with no wheels. We're getting a full price game that is horrifically unoptimized and doesn't perform to the standards of the platform, and then being called greedy entitled bitches because we don't want a sub-standard product.

You said you wanted to BUY a car with no wheels. When you say you wanted a PC version, it is implied that you want to BUY the PC version. Were you expecting the PC version to be free?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Turambar

@Terramagi said:

@Bocam said:

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Murdouken said:

There is already a fix for the internal resolution. It took the guy 23 minutes to get it working from when he get a retail copy of the game. It's not completely 100% perfect as it doesn't work properly with anti-aliasing yet and some tutorial messages don't pop up, but if he can do that in 23 minutes, how can From Software seriously justify releasing the game in such a state?

Because that's the state From said the game will be released in? Since you guys are apparently incensed, I'll use an analogy that fits your mindset. If you ask a dealership for a car, and am told that they only have ones without wheels, you'd be pretty fucking stupid for complaining when their car do in fact lack wheels. All the more so when in this instance, you essentially said "a car with no wheels is fine, I want it anyways."

This is not a fucking charity. We aren't getting a free car with no wheels. We're getting a full price game that is horrifically unoptimized and doesn't perform to the standards of the platform, and then being called greedy entitled bitches because we don't want a sub-standard product.

When did $40 equal full price? Also, I could see your point if From software wasn't upfront about it.

Game is 20 dollars new on consoles.

DLC will be 15 dollars.

Game costs 40 dollars, is a year old, barely functions, and has issues that some random dudes on the internet fixed in TWENTY THREE MINUTES.

Why in the hell should we pay them for putting so little effort into it? PC gamers reward effort, this is an established fact. The opposite, obviously, holds true.

Because you guys had petitions going saying you wanted to buy it, in this state.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By glyn

@Dixavd said:

@Azteck said:

What a lot of people seem to forget when they start shouting "They didn't want to do this port anyway so stop whining you ungrateful sons of bitches" is that this is not a favor. Companies do not do favors on a scale this big, that's simply absurd. No, they put out a poll, their finance-dudes and some other smart people decided that there might be money in this whole PC thingamajig and then they release a game that performs as if it was made in 2004. They are charging full price for this, while putting down minimal effort for it. Whether they are a PC dev or not is completely irrelevant when put into perspective of how this industry works. And here are the cold hard facts for you people, the gaming industry does not do favors because people asked for it like this.

While I will not be purchasing it myself, I have to say: that's a really shitty argument. You do realise that it completely breaks when you take into consideration that the cost to make the port satisfactory is likely massively lower than the gain they would get in sales. This is a company that ported a game to a platform at the cost which was still viable for them to make money off of it while still allowing the non-asshole PC gamers to decide themselves if it is worth it.

They have said multiple times that they would all prefer if they didn't have to make this at all and instead moved on to their next game, but people swarmed them saying "that game on consoles should be on the PC" and eventually they said "ok". Whether it was planned or not is irrelevant - people called out for the game that they saw with value on consoles being on the PC. So what did they do? They moved it in exactly the same state on to the PC. Why now is it suddenly sub-par and not worth it? Why the hell does anyone think that PC gamers deserve any special treatment to force them to optimise a game that they had no intention of even moving to the platform? Why is suddenly playing the game that they called out for so long for, no longer at a high enough standard.

You should be goddamn dancing in the street; a developer who has never developed for your platform, has no experience making games for it, and basically didn't use to take any notice of it, has now released their game on the PC and agreed that there is an audience there that is worth listening to - even if they are a minor voice without much strong affect on the developers intention; that is an insanely great achievement. Business plan or not, this is the first time they have ever said that the PC has any worth at all.

The developers are stupid to not see the impact steam and a great looking - well optimised and high resolution pc game can have on sales.

Why only make a game half-heartedly. That business decision I will never agree with.

The customer base is there if you go about it correctly.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Terramagi

@Turambar said:

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Murdouken said:

You said you wanted to BUY a car with no wheels. When you say you wanted a PC version, it is implied that you want to BUY the PC version. Were you expecting the PC version to be free?

When you request a PC version, it implies it FUCKING WORKS. My PC is multiples more powerful than your 360 or PS3. It should work FLAWLESSLY.

It barely runs at 10 FPS.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By Bocam

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Murdouken said:

When you request a PC version, it implies it FUCKING WORKS. My PC is multiples more powerful than your 360 or PS3. It should work FLAWLESSLY.

It plays fine on mine

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Terramagi

@Bocam said:

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Terramagi said:

@Turambar said:

@Murdouken said:

It plays fine on mine

Reports are generally inconsistent. People with far worse video cards are getting perfect framerate, while some - not naming any names - are freezing when skeletons hit them.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Dixavd said:

@Terramagi: If a game came out on the Wii and I called out to someone to want to play it on another console - to play the game that looks interesting enough in the state that it is to play it. And then it appears on my console unchanged and the same as it was previously meaning I get to experience exactly the same thing that the Wii owners did. Then I would be extremely happy and realise "I am not an elitest asshole and shouldn't expect a better or different experience purely because the hardware I am playing on is higher than that of the hardware that it originally released on".

Wait. We are elitist assholes because we expect games optimized for the standard of out platform of choice? Wow. Those are truly amazing words, especially when backed up by an example so unrealistic and out of touch with reality that it hurts. How many people would have cried foul when the PS3 got the Resident Evil Chronicles games if they had been direct ports of the Wii version? 480p, no better movement recognition (since it doesn't support the Wii Motion Plus), etc. Probably the majority of buyers. And what if they had ported The Witcher 2 without any optimization for 360? "Oh, hey, it's running at 4 FPS, but I'm truly happy it's on my console of choice!". The most natural reaction, yeah.

What I'm trying to say is that this "PC gamer are entitled dicks" mentality is complete bullshit.

@Turambar said:

Because you guys had petitions going saying you wanted to buy it, in this state.

Again, bullshit. Expecting this game to use Direct X 11 features is ridiculous. Expecting it to support resolutions that have been around for years now and running at the standard rate of 60 FPS is not. I'm grateful I'm able to play this game on my PC, but even not knowing the exact details behind the circumstances of this port, I find it hard to imagine that From Software wasn't able to do what the vast majority of developers does. Even indie devs do it, for fuck's sake.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#158  Edited By hawkinson76

Maybe, and I definitely wouldn't buy it for a console, do people actually LIKE inserting discs?

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By SargeGulp

This thread is Dark Souls.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By JackOhara

ATTN: With the resolution fix in place the game runs fucking flawlessly. Quit your bitching, plug your controller in, and play the game. Enjoy it, as it's the last of it's kind for a while.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By JoeyRavn

@JackOhara said:

ATTN: With the resolution fix in place the game runs fucking flawlessly. Quit your bitching, plug your controller in, and play the game. Enjoy it, as it's the last of it's kind for a while.

The issue with the internal resolution is fixed, but in-game text (in hints, for example) doesn't work at the moment.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By JackOhara

@JoeyRavn said:

@JackOhara said:

The issue with the internal resolution is fixed, but in-game text (in hints, for example) doesn't work at the moment.

I haven't looked at any 'hints' (I assume you mean the in-world orange messages left by other players), but every other piece of text is where it should be as far as I can tell. I'm about 4-5 hours in, just finished the depths after ringing the first bell.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Laksa

@JoeyRavn said:

@JackOhara said:

To enable in-game text, open up the DSfix.ini and change the settings to

renderWidth 1920

renderHeight 720

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#164  Edited By LiquidPrince

There are some pretty poor arguments in this thread. It's absolutely great that From decided to listen to it's fans and make a PC port despite not being familiar with the platform, but people have a valid reason to complain. It's not like they are doing it purely out of the goodness of their hearts. They expect money in return. The port is pretty bad (I'm not saying that the game will run bad, because 30FPS is more then playable) but by PC standards, it's bad. I mean even a game like Darksiders and Darksiders 2, doesn't have a ton of features on the PC either, but you can at the very least change the resolution. I believe in the saying, "if you're going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all!"

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#165  Edited By golguin

@LiquidPrince said:

There are some pretty poor arguments in this thread. It's absolutely great that From decided to listen to it's fans and make a PC port despite not being familiar with the platform, but people have a valid reason to complain. It's not like they are doing it purely out of the goodness of their hearts. They expect money in return. The port is pretty bad (I'm not saying that the game will run bad, because 30FPS is more then playable) but by PC standards, it's bad. I mean even a game like Darksiders and Darksiders 2, doesn't have a ton of features on the PC either, but you can at the very least change the resolution. I believe in the saying, "if you're going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all!"

If your issue with the game is that it's not better than its console counterpart (it is since it has the DLC and improved frame rate in Blighttown) in terms of resolution then you shouldn't play the game. It's that simple. I have played the 360 version for over 336 hours now and if playing the game under "console conditions" is too much of a hassle for PC users then stay away.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, I'm not interested in this game at all, funny that you had a choice for me in that list, so I went with it.

I played Demon's Soul, and I couldn't stand that game after dying at the same part a handful of times, I just wasn't willing to commit myself to such a torturous experience. I had a hard time with the Witcher 2 for crying out loud, and I've heard that the combat is very similar. Pretty much a complete turn off, despite what people tell me about the quality of the game.

If I WAS interested in it though, I'd probably just buy it for my PS3, because I hate bad console ports with a fiery passion.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Bocam

@AlexW00d said:

I hope everyone realises that the render resolution has already been fixed by the community; how could From Software not fucking do it themselves?

I hope everyone realizes that From software DID NOT WANT TO PORT THE GAME TO PC. They told people exactly what they were getting.

If they didn't want to do it then they shouldn't have done it, simple. If someone asked me to do something I was quite clearly inept at, I would have to decline, and then probably practice said thing in my own time so if I was asked again I would feel comfortable doing so.
    Also they never said that the rendering resolution would be locked to sub-720p from the beginning, they just said it wouldn't be optimised or have any bells and whistles. A native resolution is not in any way a bell, nor a whistle.
    TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@Terramagi: I don't even own a 360. Look, they said they'd port over to PC and they did. Yes, shame on them for not having proper resolutions but it's either this or go out and buy a seperate console and the game. It's disgusting really how a lot of PC gamers are not willing to pay up for games, yet they plunk down a large sum of cash for a custom built rig. This entitlement on everything HAS to leave.

Yes, 30 FPS lock is bad and the resolution support is also bad. But to deter that from a purchase...? Really, PC gamers...yuck...not even bothering with solid gameplay anymore...only pixels and FPS counts.

I have 60-70 games on Steam and planning to build a rig soon btw, before you call me a consolite or something.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#169  Edited By John1912

When did port turn into a complete overhaul? Graphics whores are assholes. You could be a PC graphics whore in the 90s when it actually ment something. Now, anyone who whines about 30 FPS, textures, or resolution is just obnoxious.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#170  Edited By Humanity

@AlexW00d: Well at the time when they said "we don't want to do this but if you want we can make this very basic port" no one said "oh well then don't bother making it we don't want THAT" everyone was all FUCK YAH Dark Souls on PC yes! PC Gaming Rulezzz.

Not saying putting out a shitty port is ok - just saying no one really spoke up beforehand that they want a GOOD port or no port at all. Everyone was in some euphoric daze that Dark Souls is coming to PC and stopped reading everything after.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By TruthTellah

After seeing awesome screenshots like this following the resolution fix, there is much less reason someone should avoid this game on PC. Some text issues that should be resolved in the next few days, but the actual game itself is working well. Hook up a XBOX or PS3 controller and just enjoy the game.

No Caption Provided
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Azteck

It really is hilarious to see people come out of the fucking woodworks to call PC games who have some form of standard "assholes" or "entitled". If this was put into the perspective of consoles, I can promise you you'd be reacting the same way.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By JoeyRavn

@John1912 said:

When did port turn into a complete overhaul? Graphics whores are assholes. You could be a PC graphics whore in the 90s when it actually ment something. Now, anyone who whines about 30 FPS, textures, or resolution is just obnoxious.

Complete overhaul? You can't b... Oh, fuck it. Who cares. Go back to resposting amazingly funny Reddit pics.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Terramagi

@TrafalgarLaw said:

@Terramagi: I don't even own a 360. Look, they said they'd port over to PC and they did. Yes, shame on them for not having proper resolutions but it's either this or go out and buy a seperate console and the game. It's disgusting really how a lot of PC gamers are not willing to pay up for games, yet they plunk down a large sum of cash for a custom built rig. This entitlement on everything HAS to leave.

Yes, 30 FPS lock is bad and the resolution support is also bad. But to deter that from a purchase...? Really, PC gamers...yuck...not even bothering with solid gameplay anymore...only pixels and FPS counts.

I have 60-70 games on Steam and planning to build a rig soon btw, before you call me a consolite or something.

Is this an actual post.

You see "no I'm not going to buy this if it's an inferior product" and instantly jump to piracy?

Firstly, do you understand the concept of "field of view"? Because I'm pretty sure a lot of people bitched when MW2 cut it out (along with dedicated servers). Were PC gamers wrong then? Of course not. There are real medical reasons for a higher FoV on PC, that can cause people severe migraines. Dedicated servers had been a thing since the early 90s, and the fact that we even need to ask companies if it'll be in nowadays is testament to how much damage that single retarded decision made.

Now, you might be asking yourself "what does this have to do with Dark Souls?", presumably because you are - I accurately assume from your ignorant ass post at any rate - a console gamer. Do you understand that PC gamers sit pretty damn close to their screen? You must, because you're probably staring at a computer screen RIGHT NOW. Do you know what 720p looks like from 2 feet away?

Obviously not, or you wouldn't be defending this egregious port that performs WORSE than the console version on hardware several times more powerful.

And for the record, "60-70 games on Steam"? What, like I don't know you padded that number with a bunch of indie games you bought during a sale?

@TruthTellah said:

After seeing awesome screenshots like this following the resolution fix, there is much less reason someone should avoid this game on PC. Some text issues that should be resolved in the next few days, but the actual game itself is working well. Hook up a XBOX or PS3 controller and just enjoy the game.

No Caption Provided

Text issue is already fixed.

Less than a day, PC gaming fixes what FROM couldn't accomplish in SIX MONTHS.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Sooty

@John1912 said:

Actually no you could argue that being a graphics whore in the 90s was even more dumb as the Dreamcast looked just as good as high end PC games at the time, so the difference between console and PC was rather insignificant.

Whining about a locked 30 FPS or resolution is very valid. It shouldn't be restricted unless the game specifically has to work at a certain setting - e.g. fighting games at 60 FPS.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Dixavd

@glyn said:

The developers are stupid to not see the impact steam and a great looking - well optimised and high resolution pc game can have on sales.

Why only make a game half-heartedly. That business decision I will never agree with.

The customer base is there if you go about it correctly.

What makes you think I don't agree with this? I think people should be ok with the port being exactly the same as the console version because the developers have said for a long while (before they had even announced that they would do it) that they wouldn't do more than that - that if there are problems with it, it will be up to the community to fix it (which quite a few have already done) But, that doesn't mean I ever thought it was a good idea.

Just like how I hate how badly Skyrim performs on the PS3, and they have begun to stop supporting it altogether: I understand their viewpoint (It would take too much time to re-set our engine which has been specifically designed for the PC and Xbox in mind so that it works on the PS3 - we will have to ship it the way it is so that we can focus on continuing to make content for the two platforms we can fully support) but it is still a really shitty thing to do which definitely does not help in the long run. People (me included) say that Skyrim should have worked on PS3 because other developers have got their games to work six years into the development cycle, however, it was pretty clear that there would be serious problems with it from the get-go with all of their previous titles using the engine on the PS3 having serious issues. It was up to gamers to ask if it was worth it for them to get it - to look at the state that it is in and decide if it is still worth their money. With Skyrim I chose that it was because I knew I wouldn't get wholeheartedly invested in it and get annoyed when it stopped working (and I got my tens-of-hours out of it and then stopped before I hit all of the serious bugs). With Dark Souls on the PC I would say no, I knew that from before the petition started: The game was never going to work better than it did on consoles because it was designed in mind to work the way it did on consoles; the modding scene would put the whole online PvP into question; and the level design would stay exactly the same where no extra enemies could be shown on screen and nothing new was going to be a part of it which didn't go to consoles. I knew this when people were arguing for it to come to the PC when it had just been announced to go to the PS3 and the 360.

Yet, I know that if they had just invested into it, asked for some outside help to get it working, and then gone fully with it; then they would look much better, they would make seriously more money and the audience would be there. That said, they are so new to the idea of optimizing for the PC that they could easily have spent too much money on it (probably down to them spending much longer than expected figuring it out and eating into the time they had set for a new game) and they could have lost way more money than they could have gained even with a better product. If that happened, they would say that the audience wasn't big enough and that they wouldn't make a title for the PC again - they may even be very bitter about it and listen to you all even less.

My argument is that you can't get annoyed at them because it doesn't help you at all. It is turning around to someone who did what they said they would do and saying that it isn't good enough anyway. If the game was specifically set-out to be on the PC and worked like this, then you should definitely tell them that it should work. Still, the circumstances around this are so different that it looks like you are just scaring away a company that tried to move to your platform and start making games for it - I fear after this backlash that they won't come back and you have just sent warning signals to other studios to not even try porting their game to the PC. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and realise you shouldn't have expected more and go about purchasing relating to how you feel about it (still don't think it is worth it, then don't buy it or play it on PC; think it is worth it or that the mods fix your issues, then don't wait for the developers to fix it themselves because they almost-certainly won't).

@JoeyRavn said:

@Dixavd said:

@Terramagi: If a game came out on the Wii and I called out to someone to want to play it on another console - to play the game that looks interesting enough in the state that it is to play it. And then it appears on my console unchanged and the same as it was previously meaning I get to experience exactly the same thing that the Wii owners did. Then I would be extremely happy and realise "I am not an elitest asshole and shouldn't expect a better or different experience purely because the hardware I am playing on is higher than that of the hardware that it originally released on".

Wait. We are elitist assholes because we expect games optimized for the standard of out platform of choice? Wow. Those are truly amazing words, especially when backed up by an example so unrealistic and out of touch with reality that it hurts. How many people would have cried foul when the PS3 got the Resident Evil Chronicles games if they had been direct ports of the Wii version? 480p, no better movement recognition (since it doesn't support the Wii Motion Plus), etc. Probably the majority of buyers. And what if they had ported The Witcher 2 without any optimization for 360? "Oh, hey, it's running at 4 FPS, but I'm truly happy it's on my console of choice!". The most natural reaction, yeah.

What I'm trying to say is that this "PC gamer are entitled dicks" mentality is complete bullshit.

I agree with you. I wasn't saying PC gamers are entitles assholes - I was saying that anyone who believes that their version of a game should be superior to the original is being unreasonable. The reason this is different than say, Resident Evil Chronicles from Wii to PS3, is because that was done years after the fact when the developers had already had a chance to move onto something else and make the games they wanted to make in the time. With Dark Souls, they haven't been able to move on yet and a year down the line they still haven't gone fully into their next game. This is a straight copy-paste port and they said it would be since before the game even came out on the consoles (replying this as to why it isn't going to be released on PC like some people were asking, because they would not optimize it and it would be an inferior product). The other difference between the two analogies is that Capcom has made games for the PS3 before, and the developers have already made games on the Playstation platforms before. From Software haven't done the same with the PC; this is effectively their alpha version of a game on the PC platform. You could get annoyed at the Resident Evil games because you expect better on that console as they have shown that they had before (And they said that it wouldn't be a straight port before release). With this on the other hand, I don't think the expectation is legitimately there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.