Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dragonhead Glitch... Let's talk about it

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

For those who don't know, there is a way to get unlimited(well... not really unlimited but a huge amount of) souls by using the Dragon Head stone. I am not going to put a video here or how to do it because it is already on the internet anyway and it is super easy to find. Plus, I know some people do not want to know anyway and I respect that.

When I heard about the glitch, I was very curious. I did not want to exploit it and yet I kinda wanted to test it out myself. So after practicing a couple of times, with my Estus Flask, which did not take that long to master it, I decided to do it. Now, my character is level 69 Warrior and I have been playing for about 55 hours. I did not want to ruin my experience with this character. I love my character, I got attached to my character a little too much. So I decided to test it out with humanity.

I stood there, put my twin humanities in my item slot, turned my head into dragon, got it position, and BOOM!! My humanity just started going up like crazy and even before my stamina ran out, I had 99 humanities. Could not believe my eyes(I lost all of them about 15 minutes later -_-). I have never had more than 3 humanities in that top left circle but it said 99.

I can only imagine how other people will exploit this not because they do not care about this game but purely because they got tired of the difficulty level of the game. With that said, I think exploiting this totally ruin the game experiences, which is why I chose not to do with souls. I don't understand why From Software has not released a patch to get rid of it. At this point, I'm pretty sure they are well aware of the problem.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it ruins the game? Do you think From Software is going to patch it out? How many people do you think are doing this right now?

johe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By johe0

I've duped a few things, but not souls or humanity, for instance if you dupe throwing knives you become a turret, if you dupe summon signs you just leave a white trail, best of all, if you dupe enough prism stones your game crashes.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Turambar

Yes, it definitely does ruin the core appeal of the game as well as pvp.  I've ran into more than a few people using that bug to dupe fire bombs.  I can't wait for the fabled 1.04 patch to finally hit and potentially fix all the ills that plague us.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

This exploit has one major flaw. At least when you do it with any thing productive such as souls. If you out level everybody else playing you wont be able to invade or get summoned so to me it seems kinda pointless other then to just not play the game haha

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nadril

Meh I don't think it's that useful of an exploit. I have like 2.5 million souls from PvP that I have nothing to really spend them on because I don't want to out level people. 

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndyD74

I found out about a duplication glitch on Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. It made the game much more easier and I regretted doing it. I rolled a new character and avoided it and it was much more satisfying for me. So, I will not be doing any dupe glitching on Dark Souls.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've been tempted, but it would completely kill what little drive I have left to finish the game. It will be finished, but if I sit there and dupe hero souls for an hour, I won't care about anything anymore. I don't want that at all. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Turambar said:
    Yes, it definitely does ruin the core appeal of the game as well as pvp.  I've ran into more than a few people using that bug to dupe fire bombs.  I can't wait for the fabled 1.04 patch to finally hit and potentially fix all the ills that plague us.
    When is that commin?! 
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By envane

well considering its the exact same bug mechanic as the firespray glitch in demons souls , i would guess they aren't even capable of fixing the bug , or it was intended by some devious programmer .. seems too obvious a bug otherwise ..

as for abusing it .. just go tot he forest pvp area and find out firsthand what ppl are doing with it ..

funny thing is .. short of pumping vitality to 99 and increasing your damage dealing stats , you still need good gear to have a good character.

that said i have a character with 43minutes played and he is in full havels armor +shield with dragon greatsword and dragonslayer greatbow ... , going to round him out a bit and level up a pyromancers flame beforfe taking him up to newgame+7 where he wont be overpowered at all anymore

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Turambar said:
    When is that commin?! 
    No clue.  The patch notes for it went up on the Japanese From Software website two weeks ago.
    DecadentPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DecadentPimp

I am an unashamed abuser of this glitch. I attribute most of my 120 levels to it, which would have otherwise required hours (possibly even days) of monotonous farming if I had done it the 'right' way. I'm a time limited man, so frankly that would have killed some of my interest in the game. In terms of an unfair advantage in PvP - I rarely do PvP, and even when I do I still lose at it most times due to the fog ring (a far bigger problem than this).

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By daiphyer

I have done it, both to get items and level up a bit. Look at it this way, you could either do this, and get the required souls in a minute, or grind for 4 hours. I was already sick of grinding, so I went with this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

I used it to max out a covenant rank because I wanted the items and as of this moment I don't know if it's my NAT, the game or what but it takes way too long to actually invade. I could have farmed rats in the Depths for hours but thats neither fun nor immersive so I just dupped those humanities like a fiend. The fact that you have to donate each humanity individually through the menu is punishment enough.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matoya

@Humanity said:

I used it to max out a covenant rank because I wanted the items and as of this moment I don't know if it's my NAT, the game or what but it takes way too long to actually invade. I could have farmed rats in the Depths for hours but thats neither fun nor immersive so I just dupped those humanities like a fiend. The fact that you have to donate each humanity individually through the menu is punishment enough.

Yeah this is kinda it. If you want all the shit in the game, it's hard not to. If not, I hope you have perfect internet, can somehow find people, and get over the overall shitty MP in the game.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Branwulf

I never even considered it, i've never had a problem in pvp with other people using it and I think that abusing it to make the game easier defeats the purpose of playing in the first place, besides it's not hard to get souls or humanity in vast quantities for minimal work anyway.

If you are farming rats in the Depths then that sucks, seeing as there are infinitely respawning one shottable baby skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants that drop humanity.

If you bother to explore the game enough then you find you don't need to lower yourself you abusing glitches to easily get what you need.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

@Branwulf said:

I never even considered it, i've never had a problem in pvp with other people using it and I think that abusing it to make the game easier defeats the purpose of playing in the first place, besides it's not hard to get souls or humanity in vast quantities for minimal work anyway.

If you are farming rats in the Depths then that sucks, seeing as there are infinitely respawning one shottable baby skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants that drop humanity.

If you bother to explore the game enough then you find you don't need to lower yourself you abusing glitches to easily get what you need.

The thing is, I didn't ruin anything for myself. I sidestepped a tedious and boring part of the game and then happily moved on. Sure there might be tons of awesome ways to farm, at the end of the day it's still farming. You went to tomb of giants and one shotted a bunch of skeletons to get a lot of souls. Great. I went through Blighttown, the hollow and then ran past the Hydra to finally get the dragonhead and dupe my souls. We both worked for it in our own little ways. I still beat all the bosses fair and square and went through the game without invincibility on or whatnot.

I also don't see why you need to act condescending saying that if I bother to this and that I wouldn't need to lower myself to doing these heinous crimes. You can go ahead and fight Smough and Ornstein with no armor on, a broken hilt and kill Smough first. Hey man if thats your thing great! I'll play them with full armor, two phantoms and I'll exploit their dumb AI as much as I can to get them stuck on pillars and what have you, and I'll feel very satisfied at the end of the day.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Questionable

Im definitely making quick use of it before the patch to create a varied mix of pvp characters as spending a week "grinding" them up solely for pvp while it only takes a single afternoon to acquire the definite gear is not amusing at all.

Just finished the game yesterday completely legit but already knew of it the first week i got the game.

Is it also possible to dupe items? i know of the snuggly exploit but that only works for demonite and twinkling stones as you can buy the items they trade for from merchants. sadly both are useless for making elemental weapons.

Personally i don't mind duping at all as you are still bound to the game mechanics, at the end of the day the only thing it improves is you're time invested as everything can be farmed up just the same.

On the other side of the spectrum people who exploit the dragonhead in pvp are royal douchebags and should die in a fire.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

I just finished the game today - solo killed every boss w/o NPC's. It was one of the most gratifying and satisfying experiences I have had in gaming. I never once duped or did any of the farming tricks - to me, that would totally and completely spoil the allure of Dark Souls and essentially ruin the entire experience. I paid good money for this game - I had many months of anticipating it and so I want to enjoy it to the full. In all of its painfully delightful ways.

Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pieman51

Duping with the Dragonhead is basically the same as throwing your game into the garbage. You'll level up to the level you need, defeat everything, and beat a 10-hour game in under 2 hours.

It ruins the game.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwilitEnd656

(Damn outdated browser on an outdated machine at work) While it would be foolish of me to deny that some people might not use it just to play in easy(er) mode, there's more than one application/reason for anyone to use the Dragonhead glitch. It's a very handy way for people to quickly experiment with various builds, a quick way to get to a specific build to PvP with... And there isn't any real advantage against other players through this act other than shortening time to get to a certain point, as opposed to those max-stat level 32s I've seen in the Book of the Guilty. If someone doesn't want to use it, that's fine. They can ignore it, and enjoy the game the way it was designed. If someone does, fine, who am I to tell them how they have to be playing a game if it isn't harming anyone else?... Well, okay, I guess there might be those few who use the glitch in the middle of PvP, but I blame the player rather than the presence of the glitch. And I'll just say... Demon's Souls also had an item-dupe glitch. But at least Dark Souls doesn't have a Running Firestorm. I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.