Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

PC version: Yay or Nay?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Hey Bombcats,

I was thinking about picking up Dark Souls for the PC and wanted to get the opinion of anyone who's played it. Is it worth picking up on the PC over the 360? I want to experience the online features of the game, but I refuse to pay Microsoft for the privilege on Xbox Live. Is the multiplayer the same/better/not terrible or should I just do a strictly single-player run on the 360?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yay - informal interjectionanexclamationindicatingapproval,congratulation,ortriumph

Yea -adverb yes(usedinaffirmationorassent).

EDIT:Not to single you out, everyone does it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer: So I should totally buy the PC version then? Is that a yea?

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By owack6

1. Do you have a high end PC that can run this game?

2. Do you have a PC game pad?

3. Do you have any moral objections to using GFWL?

if the answers are yes, yes, and no you should get the game.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

If you haven't played it before on the 360 or PS3, absolutely.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Pie: Well, either he's asking us "Yes or No?" which should be "Yea or Nay," or he's asking us "Hooray! or No?" in which case he is 100% correct.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owack6: Why would I have any moral objections to using GFWL? I can definitely understand not liking from a utilitarian perspective, but the service isn't a war criminal.

@StarvingGamer said:

Yay - informal interjectionanexclamationindicatingapproval,congratulation,ortriumph

Yea -adverb yes(usedinaffirmationorassent).

EDIT:Not to single you out, everyone does it.

I just thought people would be so happy for me that they would just say "yay". In fact, that's how I feel about all meetings where 'yea or nay' is asked. It's the group that just wants to say "yay" and have a party vs. the group that's trying to ruin everyone's fun.

@Pie: I used the wrong word.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I really wanted to know is if the PC version is as bad as everyone said it would be. I know that a modder fixed the resolution problems, but are there any other glaring flaws?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

My impression so far is a big nay, but that's because I like to use my mouse and WASD and hotkeys with RPG games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

@Pie said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I'm not seeing the point that guy is making either

He's saying that "yay" means you're approving of something that just happened (i.e. you tied a PMC to a motorcycle, jumped it off a cliff, hit a helicopter with it, and stole a second helicopter on the way down) and "yea" (pronounced similarly) means you're saying "yes", as in "yes you should get this game". He's only pointing out the difference.

On topic, I'm simply wondering if the game runs well. Yes, it's locked at 30 frames, but does it stay there or close to there, and does it run without lock-ups, freezing, crashing, etc.? I'm not concerned one bit about graphics options, just whether or not it runs without a bunch of headache.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, I'm wondering about this stuff, too. There was someone on the forums saying that it disconnected you from the game's servers if you went below a certain frame count, and if you disconnect you could potentially lose your progress since your last bonfire, I think? Saving and loading sounds so weird in that game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Pie: I'm not so insecure that I'm going to get all stuffy and defensive when someone informs me of a mistake I made. I'd rather be educated and informed than ignorant. I tend to assume the same is true for everyone else.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Pie

@believer258 said:

@Pie said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I'm not seeing the point that guy is making either

He's saying that "yay" means you're approving of something that just happened (i.e. you tied a PMC to a motorcycle, jumped it off a cliff, hit a helicopter with it, and stole a second helicopter on the way down) and "yea" (pronounced similarly) means you're saying "yes", as in "yes you should get this game". He's only pointing out the difference.

On topic, I'm simply wondering if the game runs well. Yes, it's locked at 30 frames, but does it stay there or close to there, and does it run without lock-ups, freezing, crashing, etc.? I'm not concerned one bit about graphics options, just whether or not it runs without a bunch of headache.

Well I can't help being an idiot.

Sorry

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Pie

@StarvingGamer said:

@Pie: I'm not so insecure that I'm going to get all stuffy and defensive when someone informs me of a mistake I made. I'd rather be educated and informed than ignorant. I tend to assume the same is true for everyone else.

I said sorry before you posted that! Take it back!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Justin258

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@believer258: Yeah, I'm wondering about this stuff, too. There was someone on the forums saying that it disconnected you from the game's servers if you went below a certain frame count, and if you disconnect you could potentially lose your progress since your last bonfire, I think? Saving and loading sounds so weird in that game.

If you drop below fifteen FPS for a certain amount of time, then yes that's what happens. Or so I've heard. Anyway, if your game is dropping below fifteen FPS often enough for that to happen, then something's seriously wrong.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

My impression so far is a big nay, but that's because I like to use my mouse and WASD and hotkeys with RPG games.

But does it actually run well? Consistently at or near the 30 frame lock? Not crashing or acting up?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, people were talking about (Dead or Blight?) Town being a nightmare on framerate in the 360 version. Throwing more hardware at that particular spot might work, but if it's unoptimized then it is not going to be much help there. If that's the case the game could be incompletable.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

But does it actually run well? Consistently at or near the 30 frame lock? Not crashing or acting up?

Considering I'm still stuck on the first boss 2 minutes into the game.... I.... Really couldn't tell you.

Ahem.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By jacksukeru

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

What I really wanted to know is if the PC version is as bad as everyone said it would be. I know that a modder fixed the resolution problems, but are there any other glaring flaws?

From what I've played it seems identical to the console version when playing with a controller (M&K reportedly sucks, I haven't even tried it). Framerate doesn't dip in areas where they usually dipped, like the Sif bossfight, Blighttown, early New Londo or when breaking a lot of boxes at the same time, load times are a little bit faster.

Some balance changes have been made since the latest console patch, with some items being nerfed. You can now fight Havel in the first co-op area, his area was previously unavailable when entering co-op or invasion. A bunch of new areas have been added as available Warp points, you still need the Lordvessel to warp though. When I used the resolution mod it made it so the text on player messages don't appear anymore. This is fine for me since I don't need them anymore, but it's something to keep in mind. The extra content can be accessed after about half the game, it seems pretty cool so far.

Summoning other players has been as unreliable for me as it was in the console version, no improvement there.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@owack6 said:

I was under the impression you didnt need a high end PC to play this and no I love GFWL as I spend most of my gaming time on a Xbox.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falserelic

YAY! lets celebrate.......

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VierasTalo

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@owack6 said:

I was under the impression you didnt need a high end PC to play this and no I love GFWL as I spend most of my gaming time on a Xbox.

I have a not-so-high end PC and the only way I get this to run with a steady framerate is if I run it in a 720p resolution windowed.

I don't give a crap though, the game pulls me in way too good for me to be bothered of the window size.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Raven10

I haven't played the game but if a strict console port can't maintain 30 fps on an even decent PC then this game doesn't deserve your money. I can play Battlefield 3 on High settings at that framerate on a mid range PC. If you are dropping to 15 fps on a console port that has no PC specific enhancements then either the game is programmed like shit or you have a godawful PC and you probably shouldn't be playing games on it. Honestly even if it was poorly programmed it seems unlikely that you would go below 15 fps on a decent PC. On my mid range PC I can play Crysis 2 in DX11 mode all maxed out at higher framerates than that. It just doesn't seem possible to me that a game could be so poorly programmed that it wouldn't be able to hit 15 fps on a mid range PC. I think the only major question you need to ask yourself is do you have a spare 360 controller to play it on. If the answer is yes then I would assume performance would be fine. Again, I haven't played the game but I just can't imagine framerates going that low without DX11, supersampling/Ubersampling AA, or PhysX support.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haffy

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Considering I'm still stuck on the first boss 2 minutes into the game.... I.... Really couldn't tell you.

Ahem.

The very first boss? If your trying to fight it with a broken sword, try running to the exit by his side.

Also the game runs fine for me. Had it on the Xbox, and I prefer it on the PC.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous
    @c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

KB+M controls are megafucked from what I've heard. If you plan on playing with a 360 controller I think they're fine, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: I bought it, going to be playing with a 360 controller and I'll let anyone who's interested know if it's any good or not.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#27  Edited By Svenzon

I might pick it up sometimes, but I'm not really in the mood to start over right now. I'll see how I feel once the DLC hits consoles.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By McShank

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I 100% the game on my ps3 and I bought day 1 on pc and so far it runs fine.. graphics are the same, controls are the same *I use motionjoy with my ps3 controller and usb cable* and its is so far the same experience as ps3 except for no frame dips.. I was able to summon people fine so far and i see notes / signs everywhere. The textures are the same but like you said there is the fix by a modder out that I have yet to use myself but will soon. I refuse to use m/k as the game just is not meant to be used that way and the company that made it said it themselves its meant for gamepad. Id buy it if you havent already played on console as long as you have a gamepad of some sort whether its a ps3 controller, xbox or even a pc only controller.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@ajamafalous said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

KB+M controls are megafucked from what I've heard. If you plan on playing with a 360 controller I think they're fine, though.

KB+M are just bad for pretty much any 3rd person game IMO.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Aside from control issues if you don't have a gamepad, I think the PC version is probably the best version of the three. Solid 30 FPS in pretty much every area, fast loading, quick matchmaking that doesn't fail often, and mods to make the game better.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@haffy said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Ahem.

The very first boss? If your trying to fight it with a broken sword, try running to the exit by his side.

Right. So this game is amazing because it gives you a broken sword and puts you up against a titan 2 minutes in, a situation the solution to which is to escape?

I will either love the absurd brilliance of this game or absolutely hate it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

@ajamafalous said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

KB+M are just bad for pretty much any 3rd person game IMO.

I tend to agree (I prefer a 360 controller for games like Batman/Assassin's Creed), but at least those games have serviceable KB+M. In Dark Souls Insert/Delete/End are keybinds and you can't rebind the number keys (1-9, 0).
    JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JackOhara

Yes, absolutely YAY. Plug in a gamepad and enjoy the everloving shit out of it. The game was designed from the beginning around a gamepad, and that is the best way to play it.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JackOhara

@AhmadMetallic said:

@haffy said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Ahem.

Right. So this game is amazing because it gives you a broken sword and puts you up against a titan 2 minutes in, a situation the solution to which is to escape?

As soon as he drops down, run to the left and through the door. Simple.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I like it and I own the 360 version, so that should tell you something if I'm willing to buy it twice.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Ben_H

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

It runs fine for me, nice and stable at 1920x1080 (and yes I did do the rendering fix and I force AA through the ATI drivers since you can't use the ingame AA or it screws up the render fix). I used a gamepad to play it and it seemed perfectly serviceable.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrKlorox
    @AhmadMetallic said:

You're doing it wrong and the bold part even says that you know it. Why do you insist on making it impossible for yourself to have a good time?

@AhmadMetallic said:

@haffy said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Ahem.

If you had paid for it, you would be able to play online, and therefore be seeing all sorts of clues left by other players telling you to RUN.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@MrKlorox: Why do you have the impression that I jack off on my keyboard while stomping gamepads? I love my Dualshock 3 and I use it for many PC games. RPGs with tons of loot and hotkeys and bows and arrows, however, are not one of them. But since Dark Souls seems to be heavily reliant on that white lock on circle, I guess I'll bite.

And yeah I'm not seeing the online messages, but as you know I don't waste my salary on a game without thoroughly testing it. I'll have to play a little more of DS and see if I wanna buy it, because as it stands now I'm not liking it, I hope that will change!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox
    @AhmadMetallic said:

@MrKlorox: Why do you have the impression that I jack off on my keyboard while stomping gamepads? I love my Dualshock 3 and I use it for many PC games. RPGs with tons of loot and hotkeys and bows and arrows, however, are not one of them. But since Dark Souls seems to be heavily reliant on that white lock on circle, I guess I'll bite.

And yeah I'm not seeing the online messages, but as you know I don't waste my salary on a game without thoroughly testing it. I'll have to play a little more of DS and see if I wanna buy it, because as it stands now I'm not liking it, I hope that will change!

Maybe it's the things you say. Then proceed to shit on games that wouldn't have the issues if you would just do things the way they were intended, such as buying it first. But instead you sit here and advocate piracy then treat it like it's the game's fault.
    JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JackOhara

@AhmadMetallic said:

The game is designed so that you don't really need hotkeys beyond the hot swappable items assigned to the D-pad. It kind of sucks that you aren't able to experience the online bits right now, because they are heavily entwined into the single player experience. Just my two cents, but I think you should at least get to the gargoyle boss at the undead cathedral before making a purchasing decision, because the undead asylum is such a small fraction of the game. PRO TIP: When you get to firelink, go UP, not DOWN, like the fellow near the bonfire suggests.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@MrKlorox said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Maybe it's the things you say. Then proceed to shit on games that wouldn't have the issues if you would just do things the way they were intended, such as buying it first. But instead you sit here and advocate piracy then treat it like it's the game's fault.

I made it clear that my problem is because I can't have my way (M&KB) so I'm not shitting on the game. And I'm not advocating anything, I'm telling you why I'm not seeing the messages. It's none of your business when and how I buy my games.

@JackOhara said:

The game is designed so that you don't really need hotkeys beyond the hot swappable items assigned to the D-pad. It kind of sucks that you aren't able to experience the online bits right now, because they are heavily entwined into the single player experience. Just my two cents, but I think you should at least get to the gargoyle boss at the undead cathedral before making a purchasing decision, because the undead asylum is such a small fraction of the game. PRO TIP: When you get to firelink, go UP, not DOWN, like the fellow near the bonfire suggests.

Yeah I guess since it's 100% a console game it doesn't have the features that make the M&KB an advantage so I'll use my Dualshock 3. And thanks for the advice!

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Terramagi

@MrKlorox said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Honestly, since there isn't a demo out, seeing if the game FUCKING WORKS is completely within the consumer's rights.

I'm aware that it falls into the same trappings that "these ROMs are totally legal if you only have them for 24 hours!" advocated (I know it wasn't actually true, FYI)

But considering the game can either range from "constant 30 FPS everywhere" to "yeah you just wasted 40 dollars", it's a necessity.

The fact that the game barely functions without a gamepad just compounds matters. It'd be like porting a Wii game to the 360 and then saying "YEAH YOU GOTTA HOOK UP A WIIMOTE TO YOUR 360 USING A BUNCH OF THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S HOW IT WAS DESIGNED YOU ENTITLED PRICK, YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL YOU'RE GETTING THE GAME".

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Terramagi said:

It'd be like porting a Wii game to the 360 and then saying "YEAH YOU GOTTA HOOK UP A WIIMOTE TO YOUR 360 USING A BUNCH OF THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S HOW IT WAS DESIGNED YOU ENTITLED PRICK, YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL YOU'RE GETTING THE GAME".

Not even close to being even hyperbolically true.

Secondly, as much as I hate the word entitlement due to all the idiots misusing it on the internet, piracy is precisely a mis-inflated sense of that.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By monetarydread

@Raven10 said:

I haven't played the game but if a strict console port can't maintain 30 fps on an even decent PC then this game doesn't deserve your money. I can play Battlefield 3 on High settings at that framerate on a mid range PC. If you are dropping to 15 fps on a console port that has no PC specific enhancements then either the game is programmed like shit or you have a godawful PC and you probably shouldn't be playing games on it. Honestly even if it was poorly programmed it seems unlikely that you would go below 15 fps on a decent PC. On my mid range PC I can play Crysis 2 in DX11 mode all maxed out at higher framerates than that. It just doesn't seem possible to me that a game could be so poorly programmed that it wouldn't be able to hit 15 fps on a mid range PC. I think the only major question you need to ask yourself is do you have a spare 360 controller to play it on. If the answer is yes then I would assume performance would be fine. Again, I haven't played the game but I just can't imagine framerates going that low without DX11, supersampling/Ubersampling AA, or PhysX support.

The only people complaining about frame-rates are the people running ATI hardware and the resolution mod by Durante. My 8800gt, 2gig of ram, and a core 2 duo PC runs the game at 1080p without dipping below 30fps (according to FRAPS) even in Blighttown. The solution to the ATI problem is to not install the mod that allows 1080p in the first place, according to the developer himself, "Do not run this mod on ATI hardware."

Edit: Buy this game on PC if you have a controller that works on PC (i picked up a wired 360 pad for $30 not even a month ago). Even with the 720p lock (fixable with mods), Games for Windows (no different than xbox live, except that it is free to use), and shit mouse + keyboard support this is still the best version of the game.

Many people don't realize that the PS3 and 360 versions are running at sub-720p (they are upscaled to higher resolutions on console) and on both platforms they have troubles running to the point where a majority of the areas run at 25 fps.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Terramagi

@MrKlorox said:

@Terramagi said:

It'd be like porting a Wii game to the 360 and then saying "YEAH YOU GOTTA HOOK UP A WIIMOTE TO YOUR 360 USING A BUNCH OF THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S HOW IT WAS DESIGNED YOU ENTITLED PRICK, YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL YOU'RE GETTING THE GAME".

Not even close to being even hyperbolically true. Secondly, as much as I hate the word entitlement due to all the idiots misusing it on the internet, piracy is precisely a mis-inflated sense of that.

Really?

They didn't even bother to change the fucking input prompts. It has 360 inputs on the menus, whether you have a gamepad connected or not.

When a game is ported so haphazardly that they didn't even bother to change the images on the menu, let alone optimize it so you don't have the disparity that exists, there is absolutely no moral problem with going "yeah, play until the Taurus Demon and pick the Master Key to see if Blighttown crashes your game". Until they put out a demo, at least.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Karkarov

If you have a good pc and can handle the resolution fix with most of the nice bells and whistles turned on + have a gamepad for your pc then the PC version is the definitive version. Period.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By finstern

If you have a 560ti or greater and a 360 controller then go for it! Its the best version out there if you have the hardware

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zeforgotten

Plays just as well as the console version. 
    Actually a bit better. I had frames dropping on 360 and PS3, a lot and so far not a single drop on the PC version for me. 
    Even after "installing" the "patch" there are no problems with the game. 

And as someone who actually cares about his games I'm playing with a controller, because "fucking duh" 
    Anyone who actually gave a damn about Dark Souls coming to the PC already knew way ahead of time that it would be, and I quote From Software "Just a straight port with little to no effort done to fully optimize it"  

Also, fuck people invading me, why even bother doing that when all you run around with is like a flimsy sword just because you haven't shot arrows into the tail of the fucking dragon for a few minutes!  
    Curse you all for coming in and making a mess

Caliginous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Caliginous

@MonetaryDread said:

@Raven10 said:

The only people complaining about frame-rates are the people running ATI hardware and the resolution mod by Durante. My 8800gt, 2gig of ram, and a core 2 duo PC runs the game at 1080p without dipping below 30fps (according to FRAPS) even in Blighttown. The solution to the ATI problem is to not install the mod that allows 1080p in the first place, according to the developer himself, "Do not run this mod on ATI hardware."

Edit: Buy this game on PC if you have a controller that works on PC (i picked up a wired 360 pad for $30 not even a month ago). Even with the 720p lock (fixable with mods), Games for Windows (no different than xbox live, except that it is free to use), and shit mouse + keyboard support this is still the best version of the game.

Many people don't realize that the PS3 and 360 versions are running at sub-720p (they are upscaled to higher resolutions on console) and on both platforms they have troubles running to the point where a majority of the areas run at 25 fps.

There is a fairly easy fix for ATI cards on the newest drivers (12.8) or if you just are a RadeonPro user. All you have to do is setup a profile in RadeonPro for the executable of the game and change mode to "Override application settings", turn on Anti-Aliasing to 8x and to Supersample. Then change the Anisotropic Filtering to 16x. The game forces V-Sync so should just stay capped on 30 Fps consistently with these settings. A fair warning though, I'm using a 7970 with these settings so you may need to tone down the sliders and AF to 8x or 4x.

This is using the 0.4 version of Durante's mod, with the following settings.

3840x2160 rendering resolution

DoF set to 1080, DoF scaling enabled and enable supersampling by downscaling.

This resulted in zero stutters and a capped 30 fps for about 60% of the game. Can't comment on the final areas haven't finished those yet.

If anyone is playing and has questions or needs screenshots I'd be more than happy to help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.