Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Random summon character equipment setups

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Whenever I summon anyone to my game for help they always have the most random gear and weapons on. Is there some benefit to not using a complete set of armor? I figure if you wanted high Def, you'd just use all Havel's armor.

I haven't played after they patched it, but I thought the most efficient way of raising a melee character was just putting all your points into vitality and endurance, then making a Lighting+5 whatever. I'm doing that now for the PC version and my character seems very weak compared to who I'm summoning. Also just weaker in general compared to the 3 playthroughs I had on PS3 when it was released.

Is there any other reason to raise your character other than the way I described besides out of just curiosity and enjoyment?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Mixing gear is to maximize your defensea. For example, you could put on the full Elite Knight's gear, but you'd suffer in magical defense and be eaten alive by any magic using players in PvP.

In PvE, it barely makes a difference. Also all elemental weapons have been nerfed in the PC version (patch 1.06), which is why you're doing less damage.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Morbid_Coffee said:

Mixing gear is to maximize your defensea. For example, you could put on the full Elite Knight's gear, but you'd suffer in magical defense and be eaten alive by any magic using players in PvP.

In PvE, it barely makes a difference. Also all elemental weapons have been nerfed in the PC version (patch 1.06), which is why you're doing less damage.

Fuck, there goes 11 hours.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's gotten to the point that some people just want to mix and match armour for the sake of customisation rather then defence. They could get better stats if they wanted to but considering how combat is generally leans more on skill then pure stats you might as well as look good when you're fighting. Hell I like to invade wearing nothing except for some silly headgear and a whip (oft times some weapon that I can't use efficiently.)

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chummy8

The guy I used to beat the game on NG++ was a faith/dex build using the Eastern Armor, Crown of Dusk, and the Crimson gloves/legs. My main weapon was a Iaito +15 (for sunlight blade) and I used the Iron Round Shield. I chose that armor for this guy because it matches well and the red/gold look of the Eastern set is just badass.

My point is, that you don't need to have full Havels, the flip ring, lightning weapons, the FAP ring, havels ring, or pyromancy to beat the game. Find what technique works for you and build your guy around that. I loved the miracles and chucking lightning spears so I got my faith to 50 and became a sunbro for the sunlight spear.

BTW, I rarely PVP unless I'm invaded.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

@thehuntsmen5434: Firstly, there is armour lighter than Havel's with higher physical defence. Havel's armour is for having high poise so you can attack or heal without being interrupted by attacks. Secondly, +15 weapons are better since they don't have to split the damage across two different types of defence, plus they can be buffed. Thirdly, some people might chose slightly worse armour so that they just squeak under their equip load to get a better roll; especially on the PC version where the Dark Wood Grain Ring got nerfed to only active at 25% equip.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bassario

I always go with what I like the look of, while making sure its decent. At the moment I have Havel's head and gloves but combined with Black Knight +5 chest and Catarina Leggings +5 I think it makes a really funky set with good def, decent magic def and poise xD but Im not that far into the game, playing 2 different playthrought too lol

EDIT: I can get my endurance up a bit and since im using the two weight rings I could quite easily use havel's armor and move around at medium speed, however I really dont like the look of the chest, and I will probably mix it around a bit more soon, anyway

I think part of the question of OP was about howcome some ppl you summon, or in my case (coz I prefer to be summoned as a phantom, that way you can explore new areas, do your best to help someone and not worry about death as much coz u dont have much to lose :P) anyway, in my case I sometimes go to another world and ppl are wearing armor or lack of armor, that doesnt seem beneficial, like I saw a guy running around with a really ugly set up, the plank shield or something, big head piece and no chest piece etc etc, are they doing it for some benefit? or is this just ppl showing of trying to make the game harder for themselves

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DelroyLindo

The xanthous crown confuses people and gives you an edge of pure badassery

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Terramagi

I base my summoning entirely off of what you're wearing.

If you're wearing the Elite Knight Set, I know you're a pragmatist and will probably summon you.

If you're wearing mismatched sets, I know you're a tryhard and probably won't summon you if I have a choice.

If you're wearing a full set I know you probably are a gimmick build and thusly know what you're doing and will summon you instantly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.