Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Void

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 15, 2010

Rocket out of the void and save a group of stranded humans from an alien force in Dark Void.

PS3 version of Dark Void

Baziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Baziel

Does anyone know if the ps3 version of dark void suffers from the same framerate issues as the xbox360 version? ( and the other graphical and sound glitches)
    Still considering picking this up (if the ps3 version is less buggy) even tho it's getting mediocre reviews all over the place.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @Baziel said:

" Does anyone know if the ps3 version of dark void suffers from the same framerate issues as the xbox360 version? ( and the other graphical and sound glitches) Still considering picking this up (if the ps3 version is less buggy) even tho it's getting mediocre reviews all over the place. "

I rented the PS3 version from Gamefly this week and played through it on a 60Gb launch unit using firmware 3.15.  The frame rate drops noticeably in some of the environments.  However, I found that what really kills the frame rate on the PS3 is when you upgrade the human assault rifle to explosive bullets.  The explosions really seem to cause the game to chug.  Explosions during some of the aerial sequences do the same.  There are also some strange frame rate issues during many of the cutscenes.   However, the game never becomes completely unplayable. Additionally, on a couple occasions, my weapons stopped having any sound effects while the background music and noise from the jet pack continued.

More problematic are the scripting glitches I ran into.  I ran into two points in the campaign that the game simply failed to activate scripts and thus would not let me progress.  Shutting down the PS3 and resuming from my checkpoint did not fix the issue.  I had to restart the chapter completely.  In both cases this fixed the issue but required the replay of the levels almost in their entirety.  I don't know exactly how to use spoiler tags or I would go into more detail.  PM me for details.      

While I would recommend playing through the game once as a rental, I would not buy it.  It is very short and even if you are an achievement/trophy whore there is not much more to do except replay a second time on the hard difficulty.  Additionally, beating the game updates your radar causing the collectibles to appear on your radar in your second playthrough.   The game indicates that DLC is available, but it doesn't appear in the store yet.  From the trophy screen, it appears that the DLC will be a pack of "survivor missions."  I could be wrong, but my guess is that these will be challenges like in batman that recycle existing air combat levels.  

Positives:

Overall, the story was pretty good and worth playing through. 
    Once you get the hang of the controls, the air combat sequences become quite enjoyable.  
    A few of the boss encounters are pretty good as well. 

Negatives:

The on-ground third person shooter segments felt like a chore and are thoroughly mediocre. 
    The enemy robots have poor AI.
    The "innovative vertical cover" sequences are nothing special. 

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

I got the 360 version so I couldnt add anything specifically regarding the PS3 version. But I think it is still worth a rent (or purchase if you can find it cheap) its one of those cases where you can still get the fun out of it despite its mediocrity. I think Jasonofindy's pros and cons sum it up pretty well.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

I have the PS3 version and I can't even download the latest patch. It just restarts the PS3 so I'm playing without 1.01. Having said that, a host of technical flaws aside (there are tons), I'm finding it kinda charming. It's fun.

Baziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Baziel

The problem here in Belgium is that stores aren't allowed to rent out games anymore aparently ( they used to a couple of years ago). So renting is not really an option for me.
    Sounds like both versions have pretty much the same problems so if I do end up picking this up it's just a matter of  wanting either trophies or achievement points I guess. 
    Might aswell wait a few months untill it's a bit cheaper, not like there's not enough good games coming out in the near future. I'm pretty sure I can enjoy this game tho, even with the problems it has if they dont patch any of them out. 
     Thanks for the replies at least, appreciate it :)

yodzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By yodzilla

Every version suffers from glitches.  I just platinumed it this morning and I've encountered multiple clipping problems, sound dropping out, framerate hitches, and straight up system crashes.  It's just a horrible, unpolished turd of a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.