Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Any game you've given up on getting an S-Rank?

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I don't mean like you just let it fall away over time or something. Have you been going for an S-Rank on a game and then just decided you couldn't do it?

I just started playing Darksiders for the first time and decided to fire up my first game on the hardest difficulty. For some games, like Call of Duty (back in the day on the PC at least, I haven't kept up), I could play on the hardest mode and it just meant slow going, but I could do it. I found Apocalyptic on Darksiders to be no fun, though, and I've decided to step back down to normal. I know that I won't play through it again. No S-Rank for me!

Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Devilkas

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved and Streets of Rage 2 are the most recent I've come to terms with.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Gears of War 2. Multiplayer is too frustrating to even get to level 40, I'm currently 38, much less reaching 100.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Raven10

Well I share my Live account with my brother and he relishes in really difficult challenges so even if I give up he'll almost always get at least an A on a game. Most of the games I have an A or S on he played, and most I have a D or F on I played. I just don't have the patience to play games on super hard difficulty settings or do ridiculous challenges. I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 now and there's no way I'm collecting 100 feathers. That would just take too long and get too boring too quickly. I guess I'm just not that competitive.

MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @Raven10: Haha, competitive or not that's a pretty sweet deal! I'd get that going with my brother, but since we live far away playing on Live is one of the few times we can kick back and "hang."
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cap123

I always set out to get an S-rank in a game if i've been excited for it. Like i'm totally set on getting S-Rank in red dead redemption when that comes out because it looks really really good and i won't get bored of playing it. Realistically though, i only got 300/1000 in GTA4 and that's made by the same people so i guess they'll be of the same annoying grain. 

I gave up on S-ranking Fifa 10 because there is an achievement for getting 100 Ranked wins i was going for.. i got to 100 after a lot of work  only to find out disconnections by the other guys don't count, and they made up about 60% of my wins.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nail1080

Gears 2 - have everything but rank 100 (on 67)...justnot going to happen although I will continue to play it regularly
    Batman AA - I don't know, I just stopped playing it for a few months and I just don''t feel like playing it again
    Silent Hill homecoming - I was getting all the collectables using a guide but I havent played it for so long that I doubt I know where I'm going
    GTA4 - damn multiplayer cheevos

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Devilkas said:
    " Geometry Wars Retro Evolved and Streets of Rage 2 are the most recent I've come to terms with. "
    I still haven't accepted the fact that I will never get to 1,000,000 points without dying.
    Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Devilkas
    @StarFoxA:  It's 800,000, but that's still annoying. I stopped about half-way through because I keep hitting a wall for an hour, then took two steps just so I can slam into another.
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Computerplayer1

Left 4 Dead, and most recently Final Fantasy 13.

If you want all 1,000 in FF13 you better have a shit load of time on your hands. It's not that it's difficult, just brutally time consuming.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Devilkas: I was talking about Geometry Wars. I haven't even begun to attempt the Streets of Rage 2 one yet, even beating Jet on Hardcore got me so pissed off that I was near to slamming the controller through the TV.
    HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HellBrendy

Just about every game that doesn't let you play through certain levels whenever you feel like it. I got 1000/1000 in 2 games, both LEGO games that makes it a lot easier. I play games because they are fun, not because I need useless points. 

Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devilkas
    @StarFoxA:  Well, what I said applies to both games in the sense that all I do is hit a god damn wall.
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By C2C

(Vanilla) Street Fighter 4.  Did not expect those challenges to be so hard/time consuming.

MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @Vinchenzo:@nail1080: Yeah, Gears 2 is another good example of one I set out thinking I could manage and I gave up. I didn't even come close. You two made quite a valiant effort, haha, I salute you both.
    Turkfinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turkfinn

Lost Odyssey before the dlc had an achievement called Treasure Trove where you had to get every single piece of shiny/hidden treasure in the world.  I went around for hours being stuck on 980/1000 before i just said F that.  I generally have fun collecting achievements, but any game that has a play this for X amount of hours(or get 903423423 kills) or beat the game in under X amount of hours generally make me sigh.  I hate rushing through games and generally don't like doing multiple playthroughs unless I enjoy the game.  I also don't want to spend 100 hours on a game I don't particularly enjoy playing online just to get the time achievement or the 9 billion kill achievement.

MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @Turkfinn said:
    I hate rushing through games and generally don't like doing multiple playthroughs unless I enjoy the game.
    This reminds of me GTA 4. After beating the game I took a peek at the achievements and was bummed to find out there was one for beating it in under 30 hours. I took my time and enjoyed it. The last thing I wanted to do was play it again and rush it.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Aus_azn

Bayonetta: Normal was hard. Insane? Forget it. 

Forza Motorsport 2: 1 Million Online winnings? Is that even possible anymore?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Ghostiet

Sonic Unleashed. Motherfucker, what a tedious game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audiosurf and most of the games I've rented.
    I really see no reason to go through Rise of the Argonauts a 3rd time.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OldGuy

I'd love an S on everything (I'm like Vinny with my ticking all the boxes and removing all the icons from my map - I did 1300+ twiddle actions in The Saboteur for crying out loud).  But (and these are only the ones I thought, when I started out, I had a shot at - I know I'll never be able to - or have the patience to - do some of the hard ass stuff in Rock Band, Forza, Hexic, etc.):

Batman AA - Whoever says Brad is a sucky player is an idiot. Those combat challenges are a pain (particularly Shock and Awe). I thought, yeah I'm getting the hang of this and then a couple of days later I realized I'd hit a wall with my skill level and put the controller down.
    BioShock 2 - I'm not big on multiplayer but I enjoyed B2 for a while. However, once I hit level 20 I thought: Naaaah, I've had my fun (and with the new add on including Achievements, well, forget it).
    Braid - Maybe I'll try a timed run again sometime, but probably not.
    Puzzle Quest - But only because no one is playing it online anymore (anybody wanna help a brother out here?)
    PoP Classic - I'm way past the time when I could play an old school hard core one life platformer.
    Mirror's Edge - Ow. I cannot do the wall climb, 270 degree turn thing that you have to do to get 3 stars on The Office (well, I can't get a bunch of the other challenges either).
    Tomb Raider: Legend - No, I am not paying $30 for 250 points, thank you (I paid $20 for 1000 points buying the full version of Anniversay).

Turkfinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turkfinn
    @MightyMayorMike:  I did the same exact thing with GTA 4.  That is not a game in which i want to rush through the story first thing.  I probably will eventually play it again since I enjoyed it, but it's been at least a year since it came out.  I might go for that achievement then and then enjoy the side mission stuff.

@Aus_azn:  Playing on infinite climax mode on Bayonetta wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be, but there were spots where I hated myself.  I forgot what the item was called, but there's an item that automatically activates witch time when you get hit.  That and the Moon one where when you execute a perfect counter, it activates the witch time as well.

Turkfinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turkfinn
    @OldGuy:  I'm assuming you're talking about the original puzzle quest where you have to win on LIVE.  I'll help you out if you want, just add me 

GT: Turkfinn
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @OldGuy: Yeah, I got pretty far in Arkham Asylum, but when I realized that it would take me forever to beat those combat achievements I moved on. Love the game though.

I thought of one that I DO have an S-Rank for that Giant Bomb doesn't recognize, though: Mass Effect 2. I guess I could rent it for the 360 at some point if I really want that one, but I play games on the PC when I can.
    Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kazzurak

I have given up to platinium GoW 2 (the collection obviusly) 1 trophy away from  plat, i just cant be bothered doing the challenge of the titans, it just sucks i cant get my plat because of it

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rosebud04

Borderlands, Screw You mad Moxxi And your Underdome!

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By Atlas

Yeah, most of them. Especially games with collectibles and random shit to do. The Saboteur is a motherfucker in that regard; I got 750 points in one playthrough, but to get the S-rank you have to do like a thousand ambient freeplay events. No thanks. Same reason why I couldn't be bothered with the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2 (fuck you mama) and the artifacts in Darksiders.

I'm not usually a fan of using guides in games, especially when it comes to achievements, and I never S-rank any game with multiplayer achievements because I hate multiplayer. Because of that, I only have three S-ranks. 'Tis the price I pay.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lawrens

I don't really go for S-ranks, but the most recent game that I gave up playing was killzone 2, stopped playing at Radec's balcony on elite, before the patches.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArchScabby

Actually probably none, because I never play a game and think I'm going to S rank it.  The  only time I get an S rank it's because I'll have played the game for a while, and then notice that I only need a couple more achievements that aren't to difficult or time consuming, so I go for it.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Alphawolfy

Bioshock I guess. Only have the Brass Balls achievement left, but I don't feel like investing any more time into that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Braid. Was following a Youtube speedrun to try and get through in under 45 minutes but I think I missed out by a minute or two because of some stupid mistakes. Not trying that again; that game wasn't designed for speedrunning in the first place.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DrPockets000
    @MightyMayorMike said:
    " I don't mean like you just let it fall away over time or something. Have you been going for an S-Rank on a game and then just decided you couldn't do it?

I just started playing Darksiders for the first time and decided to fire up my first game on the hardest difficulty. For some games, like Call of Duty (back in the day on the PC at least, I haven't kept up), I could play on the hardest mode and it just meant slow going, but I could do it. I found Apocalyptic on Darksiders to be no fun, though, and I've decided to step back down to normal. I know that I won't play through it again. No S-Rank for me! "
    Keep trying.  Once you get the timing of blocking and dodging down, Apocalyptic is no big deal.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Deusoma

Any game with more than two or three multiplayer achievements. I'm just not into online multiplayer.

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fixerofdeath

Read Dead Redemption. I was going strong. Got the 100% achievement, but I can't see myself getting to max level in multiplayer.  

The main reason I gave up is that the multiplayer is or was jacked. I don't know if they fixed or not yet. Anyway, I couldn't get into games and when I did it would just disconnect me to the infinite loading screen after playing ten minutes.  

Maybe if the multiplayer connection issue is addressed I will give it another shot.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By R3Qui4M

Call of Duty 4 fuck  that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.