Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

well I'm about 10 hours into the game and...

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By trophyhunter

I would have to say darksiders is the very definition of meh. It's not bad but it's not good either.

The Bad

• Forcing the player to do the challenge rooms several times does a wonderful job of make you get really really tired of the combat.
    • Every enemy in this game is the worst kind of damage sponge you can imagine, it takes forever just to kill normal enemies. 
    • The jump button is not responsive enough, I've died like 15 times running to a ledge hitting the jump button and him walking right off the ledge and it's not my controller

The Good

• I like the story a lot.
    • The zelda bits are actually really good.
    • Mark Hamill  
    •  The combat does have a surprising depth to it    
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lestater

This guy Seppli is more than likely going to rape this thread.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Lestater said:
    " This guy Seppli is more than likely going to rape this thread. "
    why did he make the game?and I'm not really saying the game is bad just meh
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lestater
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lestater said:
    why did he make the game?and I'm not really saying the game is bad just meh "
    He just defends it like a new born.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Have you played Soul Reaver at all?  If so, does it remind you of that?

Seems like a fair assessment of the game so far, thanks.  By all means talk more about it when you get further in.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Lestater said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lestater said:
    why did he make the game?and I'm not really saying the game is bad just meh "
    He just defends it like a new born. "
    ooh I see like me and demon's souls or most likely worse
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trophyhunter
    @ahoodedfigure said:

" Have you played Soul Reaver at all?  If so, does it remind you of that?  Seems like a fair assessment of the game so far, thanks.  By all means talk more about it when you get further in. "

yeah I love soul reaver this is nothing like it really.
    I mean there's some stuff like you can glide in both games and that is not actually kain's voice actor for war
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @trophyhunter: To address your issues of "the bad": 
    • The challenge rooms are only for one area and that's it, and it is to basically serve as a tutorial for advanced combat mechanics (i.e., killing numerous duskbats without hitting the ground, slamming multiple enemies at once with the most effective damage possible, figuring out which baddies to kill first, etc)
    • I'm playing on Apocalyptic for my first playthrough, and I think they are just fine.  You have to level up your weapons, and using all the different combat moves and a variation of weapons (mixing up Chaoseater and Scythe or Chaoseater and Tremor Gauntlet) makes a huge difference.  Get a little further, level up a little more, and you'll see the difference.  It takes about four hits of my Chaoseater to take out smaller common enemies, about 12-15 for the mid-level doods (and that's a maxed out Chaoseater)
    • I think the issue is less about the jump button and more about the timing of when you jump in adverse to your positioning at a ledge.  This is something I also feel is a bit of a snag...as I've died at least 9 times in the Serpent Holes from this.

Personally, I think the game is very tight in all of its aspects, and the only place it truly lacks is on the technical end.  Screen tears shouldn't exist, but they pop up every now and then.  Frame rate can get a bit inconsistent when shitstorms occur.  A general lack of anti-aliasing on the 360 version causes more jaggies than there needs to be (especially given the beautiful art style done by Joe Mad). 

Other than that, I'm 20 hours in on this game, and I'm ready just grinding out levels on my Scythe and Tremor Gauntlet right now with the War's Glory enhancement to get them maxed out.  After that, I'm grabbing the last piece of the Armageddon Blade, forging that fucker, and then beating this shiz!  Then...I do a second playthrough for achievement whoring purposes. 

@trophyhunter said:

" @ahoodedfigure said:

" Have you played Soul Reaver at all?  If so, does it remind you of that?  Seems like a fair assessment of the game so far, thanks.  By all means talk more about it when you get further in. "

yeah I love soul reaver this is nothing like it really. I mean there's some stuff like you can glide in both games and that is not actually kain's voice actor for war "
    This DEFINITELY has a feel like Soul Reaver.  You must not love that game as much as I do.  Then again, I own the PS1, N64, Dreamcast, AND PC versions of it...  You've got the glide function.  There's the fact that all the levels are linear puzzles.  You take souls.  The levels are centered around getting to a boss, and each is located in a specific area of the world.  A LOT of the elements in Darksiders can be directly linked to Soul Reaver.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trophyhunter

well I'm totally going to keep playing it and beat it and I probably will like it more as I go.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jakob187:
    well when you say all the levels are linear puzzles.  You take souls.  The levels are centered around getting to a boss, and each is located in a specific area of the world.
    alot of games are like soul reaver, you do all that is onimusha and devil may cry hell besides the soul part you do all that in mega man.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Metroid545

in response to your bad 
    -the challenge rooms show you how to take out guys in more ways then just mashing X, think of it as a tutorial for different batle styles
    -I'm playing on the highest difficulty for the achievements and its not that bad which enemies do you mean exactly?
    -the jump can be odd in places you just need to try and hit it in advance

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @jakob187: well when you say all the levels are linear puzzles.  You take souls.  The levels are centered around getting to a boss, and each is located in a specific area of the world. alot of games are like soul reaver, you do all that is onimusha and devil may cry hell besides the soul part you do all that in mega man. "
    Mmm...I can't say that it's quite the same way as Soul Reaver does it, though.  Onimusha and Devil May Cry definitely do have boss encounters, but it's not as "this area is specifically all about this boss" as Soul Reaver did it.  I'm just saying that Soul Reaver did it in a very specific fashion that made each area feel alive and unique. 

Play Soul Reaver and Darksiders back to back and I think you'll understand more what I mean.  It's not something that can really be explained.  You just know it when you see it. 

And yeah, you'll definitely get more into it as you move along.  
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By shirogane

I found the challenge rooms to be quite fun, some of them. Others were just plain not nice. 

As for the enemies being damage sponges, they're not really that bad, for this type of game at least. The only real complaints i have along those lines are Uriel and the final boss. FIghting them is like fighting a buffed up version of the more powerful enemies. Especially Uriel. 

And, the story is pretty nice. The ending is both epic and dissappointing though.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Seppli
    @Lestater said:

I'm more likely to rape you for fun...

As long as you played the game you're writing about and there's something to your cons, I'm all for it.

I'm just pissed at ignorant douches who write off games out of prejudice.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
    @jakob187 said:
    " This DEFINITELY has a feel like Soul Reaver. "
    Oooh, that's the first time I've heard that parallel. I've been tossing up whether to get Bayonetta or Darksiders, which seems to be a decision between a rich, opulent banquet full of weird flavours or some well made comfort food, respectively. I love Soul Reaver, so you've just made my decision that little bit harder.
    Sliqcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sliqcore

My opinion on the bad's 

I can feel you on the jump thing a little bit, not enough to ding the game though.  

The rooms are clearly in place to prevent / obliterate the ignorance of button mashing by incorporating the use of various (room specific) combat elements.  

Damage Sponges? Really? I am not one for difficulty over fun in my games at all and I think the enemies could use a few more hp's since right when I get a crazy flowing combo going they die on me.. lol.  

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Seppli: Amen.
    aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aerious

I'm looking forward to picking this up once I finish Bayonetta on hard, seems like just the thing to make the wait for ME2 and BFBC2 feel a bit shorter. How varied are the boss fights? do they change it up alot or is it dodge all their moves hit in the face and repeat?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli
    @aerious said:
    " I'm looking forward to picking this up once I finish Bayonetta on hard, seems like just the thing to make the wait for ME2 and BFBC2 feel a bit shorter. How varied are the boss fights? do they change it up alot or is it dodge all their moves hit in the face and repeat? "

I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm gonna pick up Bayonetta, now that I'm through with Darksiders.

At first I was a bit put off by the J-Pop and over the top J-Wierdness, but all the coverage I've read and the videos have watched really gave me quite the appetite for Bayonetta.

Can't help my self. Full Price Purchase.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
    @aerious said:

" I'm looking forward to picking this up once I finish Bayonetta on hard, seems like just the thing to make the wait for ME2 and BFBC2 feel a bit shorter. How varied are the boss fights? do they change it up alot or is it dodge all their moves hit in the face and repeat? "

I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm gonna pick up Bayonetta, now that I'm through with Darksiders.

At first I was a bit put off by the J-Pop and the general over the top J-Wierdness, but all the coverage I've read and the videos I've have watched really gave me quite the appetite for Bayonetta.

Can't help my self. Full Price Purchase.

Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield : Bad Company 2 are also my most anticipated games this year (pre E3-reveals of course). Might squeeze in a hardcore 5 day session of 'Red Dead : Redemption' before the release day of BF:BC 2. Bioshock 2 might be too much of a temptation. After that I'm all BF:BC 2 until holiday season 2010. Maybe some DLC, XBLA and PSN stuff - but that's it. Summer time. Outdoors time. Whatever gaming I'll do, will be Battlefield : Bad Company 2 Online Multiplayer.

Spent way too much money and time on games since Batman : Arkham Asylum opened holiday season '09 with a bang.
    aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By aerious
    @Seppli said:
    " @aerious said:
     I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm gonna pick up Bayonetta, now that I'm through with Darksiders.  At first I was a bit put off by the J-Pop and over the top J-Wierdness, but all the coverage I've read and the videos have watched really gave me quite the appetite for Bayonetta.  Can't help my self. Full Price Purchase. "
    Yeah the combat is definitely what had me hooked on Bayonetta, though the complete craziness that happens also helped. How long did it take you to get through Darksiders?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seppli
    @aerious said:

" @Seppli said:

" @aerious said:

I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm gonna pick up Bayonetta, now that I'm through with Darksiders.  At first I was a bit put off by the J-Pop and over the top J-Wierdness, but all the coverage I've read and the videos have watched really gave me quite the appetite for Bayonetta.  Can't help my self. Full Price Purchase. "
    Yeah the combat is definitely what had me hooked on Bayonetta, though the complete craziness that happens also helped. How long did it take you to get through Darksiders? "
    23 hours with most of the achievements, all the hidden treasures and most hidden chests. Apocalyptic difficulty. Just did my last session of backtracking and exploration. Without the backtracking for hidden secrets (which was quite fun, since I found a legendary enchantment which unveils all hidden treasures on the map - it's really surprising how well hidden and how complex some of the secret stuff actually is), It's a gonna be a solid 15-20 hours game, depending on how often you fail at the harder combat encounters and if you get stuck at a puzzle. There are couple of 'by the flesh of my teeth' encounters in the game and one or two pretty tough puzzles.
    MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

I'm currently at the second dungeon, and am pleased with it so far. Some of the music is really good, I like Vulgrim's music, seems to suit him quite well. There's a good ambiance to everything, and I find the character design to be pretty awesome. The challenge room spots haven't bothered me so far, I'm still working out how to take out each type of monster in the most efficient way, so they're good for that at least. Definitely not minding it borrowing heavily from Zelda. Last time I knew Zelda was awesome, and oh yeah, Mark Hammil's terrifying... in a good way.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

Anyone who would defend the combat rooms is just calling their credibility into question. I mean, shit dude, its right there on tape, people can see it themselves. You can't lie and act like it was an essential part of the game. It was a fucking grind. The rule of three applies to learning. Do something 3 times and you've learned it, repeat something three times and you remember it. Not fucking 50 times. if it takes you 50 repetitions to realize there's also a B button and air chains, well, that's on you. People on the normal thinking level don't require that.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli
    @ryanwho said:

" Anyone who would defend the combat rooms is just calling their credibility into question. I mean, shit dude, its right there on tape, people can see it themselves. You can't lie and act like it was an essential part of the game. It was a fucking grind. The rule of three applies to learning. Do something 3 times and you've learned it, repeat something three times and you remember it. Not fucking 50 times. if it takes you 50 repetitions to realize there's also a B button and air chains, well, that's on you. People on the normal thinking level don't require that. "

I had fun with the challenge rooms and did expect more than two wrathgates to be honest. I would have liked 5 wrathgates throughout the game with increasing difficulty. I'm a sucker for 'by the flesh of my teeth' combat. But then again... you complain about a game you don't fucking play... so whatever.

Am I the only one who enjoys optional hardcore combat encounter challenges, as seen in the Onimusha series? Like going up a 20 story tower and having to fight multiple spawn waves of enemies on each story? For some epic loot on the top of the spire? And nowadays - an achievement?

Guess I'm wierd that way...
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Driadon

Man, that mention of Soul Reaver made me think about the fun I had with Blood Omen 2, which matches a bit with the whole "Zelda with a better combat system" comparison I keep hearing. (Sadly, never played Soul Reaver...) 
    I now want to buy this.

Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Teirdome

It's definitely Zelda, by Americans, for adults.  That means zombies, death, and actually evil characters instead of the hug-able Gannon.

The jump thing got me a couple times too, but that's just because every other game EVAR has trained me that you can jump as long as a piece of the model is still on the ground.  Both feet have to be on the ground in order for War to jump.  After playing Shadow Complex this whole early jumping threw me for a loop, but none of the jumps (I'm 12 hours or so in) really require extreme precision.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @Teirdome said:
    " It's definitely Zelda, by Americans, for adults.  That means zombies, death, and actually evil characters instead of the hug-able Gannon. The jump thing got me a couple times too, but that's just because every other game EVAR has trained me that you can jump as long as a piece of the model is still on the ground.  Both feet have to be on the ground in order for War to jump.  After playing Shadow Complex this whole early jumping threw me for a loop, but none of the jumps (I'm 12 hours or so in) really require extreme precision. "
    Yeah - jumping sooner rather than later is an almost 100% foolproof workaround. Most other games require me to look at the edge of the ledge and jump at the very last moment, which did me in a couple of times, before I adjusted to it. Never have had problems with jumping since then.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By DukeTogo
    @ryanwho said:
    " Anyone who would defend the combat rooms is just calling their credibility into question. I mean, shit dude, its right there on tape, people can see it themselves. You can't lie and act like it was an essential part of the game. It was a fucking grind. The rule of three applies to learning. Do something 3 times and you've learned it, repeat something three times and you remember it. Not fucking 50 times. if it takes you 50 repetitions to realize there's also a B button and air chains, well, that's on you. People on the normal thinking level don't require that. "
    The rooms are there to provide resources, it's a grind masked with some training.  I won't say I enjoyed the challenge rooms, but I endured them and came out with enough souls for a few upgrades and some XP on my weapons.  They could have made the levels longer, stacked them with more enemies, or just made enemies give more per death, but they fill a niche in the story and are what they are.  i would say it's the only real gripe I have with the game, aside from the lack of a toggle for lock-on.

It's a game I really like that while by no means is game of the year quality, is a fun title to enjoy as I wait for Mass Effect 2.  The art style and heavy metal heaven vs hell theme is way more to my liking than how it's done in Bayonetta or Dante's.  Bayonetta is much more refined and tight in combat, but I also consider that shes a lithe amazon with weapons on her extremities, while War is wall of muscle and steel with a 10-foot sword  They move how you would expect them to.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Cube

Darksiders sucks hard. I disliked it from the start. Just horrible.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shirogane
    @Cube:
    I liked it from the start.  
    Can't say the same about Mass Effect thoguh, it's a game i wanted to like, but can't seem to play more than 10 mins of. To each his own I guess. 
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By cstrang
    @Lestater said:
    This.

Good, fair points to consider.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli
    @cstrang said:
    " @Lestater said:
    This.  Good, fair points to consider. "
    Pffft...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @cstrang said:
    " @Lestater said:
    Pffft... "
    To be fair, the OP outlined his argument with far more clarity and efficiency than you did in your own thread.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @cstrang said:
    " @Lestater said:
    Pffft... "
    To be fair, the OP outlined his argument with far more clarity and efficiency than you did in your own thread. "
    *high fives*
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli said:

" @cstrang said:
    " @Lestater said:
    Pffft... "
    To be fair, the OP outlined his argument with far more clarity and efficiency than you did in your own thread. "

I'm not pffft-ing the OP, I'm pfffting the two douches.

And being sidetracked by narrowminded douches doesn't count. That other thread wasn't about what it ended up to be about - which you got quite a hand in.

Buzz off...

...and I got a pretty comprehensive user review written - which is more in the vein of this thread, if you really need to compare dick sizes. Dipshit.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @cstrang said:
    " @Lestater said:
    Pffft... "
     I'm not pffft-ing the OP, I'm pfffting the two douches.  And being sidetracked by narrowminded douches doesn't count. That other thread wasn't about what it ended up to be about - which you got quite a hand in.  Buzz off... "
    You do realize that what you just wrote makes you sound like you're twelve, right?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli

@Hailinel:  

It makes you realize that you're acting like a resentful little bitch...

Move on - fool.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    "  @Hailinel:    It makes you realize that you're acting like a resentful little bitch...  Move on - fool. "
    Resentful?  Dude, I'm finding you hilarious.  You take yourself so seriously.  And your barbs really aren't that barbed.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cstrang
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @cstrang said:
    " @Lestater said:
    Pffft... "
     I'm not pffft-ing the OP, I'm pfffting the two douches.  And being sidetracked by narrowminded douches doesn't count. That other thread wasn't about what it ended up to be about - which you got quite a hand in.  Buzz off... "
    You do realize that what you just wrote makes you sound like you're twelve, right? "
    Thank you, Hailinel.  Someone said it.  

Also, we "douches" appeared to be correct...
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli said:

"  @Hailinel:    It makes you realize that you're acting like a resentful little bitch...  Move on - fool. "

Resentful?  Dude, I'm finding you hilarious.  You take yourself so seriously.  And your barbs really aren't that barbed. "

That's because I'd rather give you a fistful of knuckles to chew on... I'm just that kind of emotional guy, who gives into impulses, like smacking a (forum) bully with a baseball bat.

But since that's out of the question... just shut the fuck up.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli said:

Resentful?  Dude, I'm finding you hilarious.  You take yourself so seriously.  And your barbs really aren't that barbed. "
     That's because I'd rather give you a fistful of knuckles to chew on... I'm just that kind of emotional guy, who gives into impulses, like smacking a (forum) bully with a baseball bat.  But since that's out of the question... just shut the fuck up. "
    Ah, the classic Internet Tough Guy.

But enough derailing...

I saw the GameTrailers review of Darksiders earlier tonight and, well, it was certainly a positive review, but not glowing.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with the game, but going by what they had to say, it's apparently a very by the numbers affair.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see the Soul Reaver comparison, but has no one here played Shadowman (granted those two are similar as well), it reminds me A LOT of that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.