Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

David Cage

Person » credited in 8 games

David Cage is the founder of Quantic Dream. He wrote and directed Omikron, Indigo Prophecy, and Heavy Rain. He is known for a unique style of cinematic storytelling.

Your favorite David Cage style game?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Edited By liquiddragon

Poll Your favorite David Cage style game? (92 votes)

Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit 8%
    Heavy Rain 7%
    Beyond: Two Souls 3%
    The Walking Dead Season 1 5%
    The Wolf Among Us 5%
    The Walking Dead Season 2 0%
    Tales from the Borderlands 5%
    Game of Thrones Season 1 0%
    Minecraft: Story Mode 0%
    Batman: The Telltales Series 0%
    Until Dawn 27%
    Life is Strange 26%
    1979 Revolution: Black Friday 0%
    Actually [BLANK] (comment below) 4%
    Results please 9%

Admittedly, I haven't played all the Telltale games (I've played Walking Dead 1, Wolf Among Us, and Borderlands), as well as the three David Cage style David Cage games. My best experience so far overall has been The Wolf Among Us. It was a series I didn't know anything about and I really enjoyed seeing all those characters in a dark setting. Also, I really dug the music. David Cage games tend to start strong but lose track somewhere along the way and Heavy Rain, I still think, kept it going the longest. Indigo loses it half way, and Beyond is just kind of a mess.

Anyway, I thought I was done with these type of games after playing Tales from the Borderlands and didn't really like it as much as some folks but started playing Life is Strange and to my surprise, I'm having an even better time than when I watched it played by the GBE guys. The writing tries too hard but playing it by myself, I'm really connecting with the tone of the game. The voice work and music really cuts through the heavy handed writing and combined with the softly modeled characters, softly lit environments, and not to mention, brilliantly colored world, really nails the somber and melancholic tone the game is going for. There are these spots where you can just sit and Max goes into a small monologue which I think perfectly captures what thegame is about. I'm only through the 1st episode but it as the potential to knock Wolf Among Us off my David Cage throne.

• 
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I view Telltale style games and David Cage style games as two distinct genres. The telltale style is rooted in old adventure games, David Cage style is an emulation of film. They have similarities, but each style evolved independent of the other.

I voted for Until Dawn because it's clearly a David Cage film style game and it's excellent. Life is Strange is my favorite game on the list, but it's clearly a Telltale style game.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wouldn't attribute David Cage to the majority of the games on your list. The dude didn't create the Adventure game genre. The only David Cage game I liked was Omikron, and it isn't anything like what he's doing now.

Also I voted for Life is Strange, because it's been a while since a game affected me like it did. Although I'm not a teenage girl with time powers, there were a lot of parallels between Max and me, in terms of helping a friend who felt abandoned.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hans_maulwurf

The only actual david cage game I played is Beyond, and that was terrible. Impressive production values, but some of the worst writing I ever had to endure in a video game, and I'm really not picky when it comes to that.

I loved Walking Dead Season 1. Season 2 had some good stuff in it but didn't leave as much of an impression. I loved the vibe of Wolf among us, but found the story to be sort of forgettable, even though I'm generally in favor of murder mystery centered games. Tales from the Borderlands is my favorite Telltale game. It has a great presentation (especially the intros), great characters and is just overall an unusually fun and funny game.

My favorite game in that style has to be LiS though. The story is solid, it has a sizeable cast of memorable characters and some good character development, and builds a unique world and atmosphere. That it's sort of a blend of some of the best elements of walking simulators, telltale-style choice stuff and light adventure game puzzles also makes it stand out positively.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol yeah I don't think most of those are David cage type games but I get what you're going for. Of the stuff you listed Tales From The Borderlands. Please please more people play this lite gem. #loaderbot

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David Cage style is really only David Cage games in my opinion... So, Indigo Prophecy I suppose since I felt it was a really great experience until the last few hours where it didn't feel as believable anymore, and kind of rushed in character development. I wavered on wanting to play Heavy Rain even though I wanted to before it originally came out; then the thought came again when they announced they were re-releasing it in on PS4 (although even by then, I had my doubts). I was also hesitant to play Beyond: Two Souls on PS3 when it came out since I wanted to play Heavy Rain first, and I wasn't even sure I wanted to play Beyond: Two Souls in the first place but decided to get it on PS4 and went through it. I thought it was decent with some story continuity issues. When Heavy Rain came out on PS4, I didn't get it. I read that by today's standards the issues stick out even more, and all the issues is what held me back originally (that voice acting above all really putting me off).

If you're going to be a cinematic game that wants me to care about the characters, you have to stick the landing with voice acting I think. It otherwise looked like a game that could have been one of my favorite games of 2010. Too bad I know the twist ending by now (which actually didn't happen until the PS4 version was almost out since I wanted to be kept in the dark still). As for what's listed though, I kind of don't like separating the two The Walking Dead Seasons, but I'd say that, but I did enjoy Life is Strange. The only real issue I had with The Life is Strange is that a fun part of gaming is the discussion half of it all, and playing them as they came out, not only was a done already wanting to move on by the end of Life is Strange, wanting to take it off my PS4 before it was even finished (despite still enjoying it wanting to see it though), the game garnered more attention when it was more or less out of my mind.

Until Dawn wasn't great to me. It works better as a comedic game where you simply do nothing and mess everything up, as you watch characters trip over small things like logs. The less serious it's taken, the slightly better it is. Oh, lastly, I just recently found out that Twin Peaks' composer Angelo Badalamenti had a hand in composing Indigo Prophecy, and that's pretty great.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked indigo prophecy and beyond two souls, i don't think those other games fit besides until dawn and maybe life is strange.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have pointed out, the majority of these aren't David Cage style games. So, just picking from the actual David Cage games, I'm going with Indigo Prophecy.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePanzini

As someone who doesn't like any game listed in the OP and my understanding from hersay is David Cage games are incoherent nonsense its quite surprising Heavy Rain sold 4.5 million.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As for specifically David Cage games, I thought Heavy Rain was actually really fun.

Not sure how many Heavy Rain style games I'd like to play - I didn't get the last one with Willem Defoe - but I guess enough time has passed where I'd play that new robot one.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life is Strange is probably my favorite from the last, but of the 4 David Cage games Indigo Prophecy is definitely my favorite. It starts as a fairly compelling murder mystery and then by the half way point is complete and utter nonsense. It's like the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" of video games.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I liked Heavy Rain because it gave me a Dragon's Lair feel that modern games weren't delivering at the time. Beyond Two Souls is utter shit, it took away the tenseness of failure in exchange for poorly done scripted sequences. I haven't played Indigo Prophecy, but watching it being played wasn't a pleasant experience. That's my experience w/ David Cage. Heavy Rain had a tonnnnnn of problems and I am surprised it got as well received as it did, but I did like it. I think Until Dawn might've outdone my semi-fondness of Heavy Rain, but I appreciate it as a sort of time piece.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm hoping Until Dawn (my choice) is going to help make (force) Quantic Dream to make Detroit a better, deeper game.

That said, I loved how insane Indigy Prophecy gets. I really need to play it again.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

David Cage has never made a good game, I am not cool with calling "modern adventure games" David Cage games.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Ooops probably would have voted Until Dawn but I kinda stopped reading the list once Telltale games started appearing for some reason. I think it's one is the smartest application of Cage's studio's particular style of game, almost entirely by virtue of its genre. For the actual Cage games tho it's Beyond.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.