Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Daytona USA

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 21, 2000

Daytona USA is a remake of the Saturn and Arcade racing classic that adds courses, cars, and online play into the mix. It was released as Daytona USA 2001 in Japan and PAL regions.

So... anyone buy it?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So, a couple hours ago, for reasons I still ask myself, I unlocked the full version of Daytona on Xbla.

I think the game is okay, despite it's shitty outdated graphics and gameplay. Plus the most annoying yet catchy soundtrack I've ever heard.

There's really not much content to it, 3 tracks, all of which have mirrored versions, 2 cars, solid online, and wait for it...

A MOTHER CLUCKING KARAOKE MODE.

That's right. A Karaoke mode. The one feature racing game fans always wanted in their game.

Seriously though, despite the lack of content and outdated graphics I'm actually enjoying the game. What do you guys/gals think of it?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

DAYTOOOOOONA!

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kuz101

@DarthOrange said:

DAYTOOOOOONA!

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By dagas

I had the game on Saturn, but never played it since my console never worked (I bought a used US console which blew a fuse when I tried to use it over here despite using a power adaptor).

I much rather see the original Sega Rally on XBLA. That is apart from Bust-A-Move the only arcade machine I've seen in this country so it's a game I have some nostalgia over. You could find Sega Rally machines a decade after release.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MudMan

It was the first game I got with my Saturn, alongside Panzer Dragoon. Of course I bought it.

Honestly, I was a bit shocked both at how it plays nothing like I remember and how fun it still is. For starters, it's damn hard and deep. It does want you to choose whether to brake early or to drift through turns. Easing off the gas, braking or feathering the throttle have subtle (if completely unrealistic) results that can be used to shave seconds, and the game wants you to thread the needle through dense traffic despite the fact that your car only has two settings, "go straight" or "go sideways".

The XBLA port seems to be very aware of all of this and the extras are deconstructing stuff like a denser metagame that gives you time for every action (passing people, clean laps, clean turns, fast turns...) and a bunch of smaller challenges. Also, you can S-rank it in about 10 minutes, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure of how much this game will click with anybody born after 1985, but it's a solid conversion of a game that hasn't been remade to death, and I love the fact that the good ole Saturn (which, I don't care what anybody says, had a far better library than the Dreamcast) is getting some love.

FrostTee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By FrostTee

I was going to, but then I found out no split screen play... fail in my book.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By RE_Player1

I bought it. DAYTONA!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.