Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Did Dead island ever develop a following?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

After watching the Dead Island TNT for the first time last night (fuck red truck), I kinda want to get this game now. And, this is a game I completely ignored when it was released. If I get it, are people still playing it online?

I know that some people play most every game online these days, hell you can still find a match in TC: Endwar. But is there enough of a community where multiplayer could be a fun experience? On the PC?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By kaos_cracker

I missed out on the launch time for Dead Island but I still go back every now and then but on PS3

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I can't answer your question but can say that I played through it by myself and had a really good time anyway.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I liked it, at least up to the third act.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

There's still people playing it online.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

It has quite a bit of a following actually. I know that here in my hometown, it's STILL difficult to find a copy of the game - new or used. It took us a solid five months before we could get a copy here at work (we don't typically order stuff online).

Personally, I've played it on 360 and PC, and I still prefer the PC version. It can be rather buggy until you've messed around with it a significant amount to fix it. Even then, KB/M controls are still relatively messy without having to set up FilterKeys for it (apparently, the game doesn't like repeated keystrokes). I'm not sure if there are any mods to fix that stuff as I haven't really looked. You can play it with a controller, though.

Nonetheless, yeah, there's a following behind it. I can't wait for Riptide to come out.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#7  Edited By bobafettjm

I know that I played this game a ton. I played through it the first time by myself and then proceeded to play through it two more full times in co-op.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By BisonHero

Most online communities are pretty much ghost towns after the first year barrong stuff the size of Halo, Starcraft, etc., but sure, I bet a few hundred people are playing Dead Island each evening, so you could probably find a game.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Chummy8

Great to hear.

I;m actually not sure whether to get the Xbox or the PC version at the moment.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

They are making a sequel so I would say yes.

SinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By SinKing

It's a better game online and I hope and believe there will be more focus on that in the sequel. Looking forward to it and hope they update everything that felt clumsy and manage to make the game even a bit more open. All zombie games should be played online and with other "survivors"

If you get it now, you get it cheap. And I found it fun, though too weak on the storyline, most side quests and character "development".

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By serpentenema

I borrowed it from a friend on the ps3 and I beat it by myself. So I probably didn't get the full experience of the game, because when I joined online games they weren't fun. Like I imagine playing with friends you know would make the game amazing, but I was just so soured by that game's combat. I was playing the analog way as Brad urged people to do, and it was fun. But midway through the game it becomes useless as it throws running dudes at you, and the final boss was the nail in the coffin for that game for me.

Sam B talks about katrina.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Ben_H

I hope it is. I only played it single player but I adored it. But you gotta use a controller so you can use analog combat. It is so much more fun that way.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ripelivejam

got this a few months back, felt like i kinda wasted my monies on it but maybe i'll reinstall it and give it another go.

spoiler: i didn't play any multiplayer, lawl

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I really like the first area of the game but the constant barrage of Infected in the city ruined it for me, sadly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Thought is was great, it was pretty jankie and at times down right broken, but overall it was a lot of fun.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi

I think it had a bit of a cult following attached to it.

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Kaowas

I still really want to play this game. It looked pretty cool.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IzunaDrop

I can certainly attest that this has a cult following. My regular Live Party-mates and I still beat some zombie heads and replicate the most god-awful Australian accents (say it with me, "Sinamoyyyyyyyyyyyyyy") on a regular basis.

To me it's more replayable than something like the original Borderlands. I much prefer to headstomp than shoot for my loot.

The key factor to its success amongst our group has been the system which allows your character to always fight enemies of their approximate level, and receive appropriate XP. This was patched in something like 6 months after release, and is one of my favourite examples of post-release support. Techland did a great job with the 360 version. I hear PC was really broken though, so be warned.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Yes. As I recall, it sold rather well.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By onarum

I played the shit out of it, the combat is the best melee action I ever experienced in a game, so satisfying.

Never touched the multiplayer though.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have it on the PC but I barely played it. I should get back to it one day (and drag people in my friend's list with me).

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I played it back in June or July and there were still people online. I really enjoyed it too.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MiniPato

I loved Dead Island. But then I played it again with a friend who hadn't played it and realized they patched some things in an attempt to balance the game, but instead just made it unfun and more frustrating. Like making kicks drain stamina.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.