Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Dead Space 2 DLC: Severed will it tie in at all in DS3 dlc?

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Think we might see anything out of this for Dead Space 3 DLC? I'm sure it will be dangled as a carrot for those curious about what happened to Lexine. She's running around with her baby that's immune to the markers influence.

It really baffles me though, if they had written that Gabe lived. It would have been so much more a natural fit story wise and contextually for a co-op partner to have him.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't know. I'm sure it will come up at some point, just like Extraction did in Severed, plus, they have to build more on the ring guys. They've hinted at them in both Dead Space: Salvage, and Severed. I think when Brad called Dead Space 3 a "trilogy ender", he had no idea what he was talking about. Sure, it could end after 3, but it seems like the intent is that things aren't over yet. It was definitely an important event at the end of it, but it wasn't a finale. Especially if you look at the first letters of the chapter names together...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I never played severed as many people said it recycled areas from the original games and introduced a lot more fighting (kinda like a test run for DS3 really; Isaac and a military guy working side by side) so could someone - in spoiler tags - spoil the plot of that DLC for me?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

@humanity said:

I never played severed as many people said it recycled areas from the original games and introduced a lot more fighting (kinda like a test run for DS3 really; Isaac and a military guy working side by side) so could someone - in spoiler tags - spoil the plot of that DLC for me?

You play as Gabe from extraction and he has to try and save his wife Lexine. Because yeah, they're married for some reason, and you never found out what happened to McNeill. Sure, you could assume he turned into a necromorph (very quietly at that apparently if you remember the ending to extraction) but some definite clarification would have been appreciated. Anywhoo Gabe dies in his attempts to save Lexine but in the end she's still captured by ''someone'' and it still isn't explained just as to what makes her ''special''. It'd be pretty cool if the DS3 DLC does tie into this sub-story involving Lexine.

The DLC itself was... OK. Was literally like an hour long and yeah, recycled environments, though I guess they also reintroduced Twitchers for the DLC. It even recycles some of the set-pieces, like a section where you hafta defend yourself against a swarm of necromorphs while upside down. The ending's pretty good, though, as you desperately try to stave off the necromorphs after losing your legs in an explosion. Surprisingly poignant.

Um... is this actually spoiler'd? There's a red line to the left side there so I assume that signifies that as yes? OK, gonna chance this...

edit: actually it's possible that she escaped... I can't quite recall. It's not especially important anywhoo and I have a sneaking suspicion that this loose end will be left on the cutting room floor. Dead Space 3 has already shown how poor Dead Space's writers are when it comes building a narrative.

This new ''Awakening'' DLC does still have me curious, though. I hafta assume it'll be a different pair of protagonists; be pretty neat if you play as a pair of Unitoligists or something.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5  Edited By Humanity

@yummylee: I watched the ending on YouTube a while back but just assumed there was a little more to it than "save the girl"

Edit: also apparently spoiler tags don't work when viewing messages from your inbox. Also there is no longer a link to take you to the original thread where the reply originated from although maybe I'm just not finding it. As "slick" as the site redesign is I find myself so hopelessly lost in it at times.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Severed's okay. I wish it had more plot, but what's there is good. Has a strong ending.

And Lexine lived. Gabe only died.

If you're a fan of the series and the mythology, especially if you played Extraction, it's worth a play.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By MildMolasses

@humanity said:

I never played severed as many people said it recycled areas from the original

I honestly don't remember how much of it was recycled other than that, for at least part of it, you are going through my least favourite sections of DS2, but in reverse. There is some new areas, but given that it is supposed to take place concurrent with DS2, from a narrative perspective, the reused areas are justified

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.