Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Games at a Glance: Dead Space.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

HOLD ON THERE, BUCKEYE:

Early Dead Space spoilers to follow. Read at your own risk.

Well, I’ve literally just put the controller down after slicing my way through the first chapter of Dead Space. Set aboard the mining vessel USG Ishimura, Dead Space seems to be going for a cross between Alien and Doom in its premise, and does so fairly well. You play as silent protagonist Isaac Clarke, an engineer aboard the repair ship
    The USG Ishimura
    The USG Ishimura
    dispatched to the Ishimura after receiving a distress call from the now silent vessel. The idea (from what I’ve gathered from the audio and video logs thus far) is that one of the colonies the Ishimura oversaw found some kind of artifact on an expedition and brought it into the colony proper. Soon after, the colonists themselves began falling victim to what has been referred to as “necromorphization,” a process in which the average human being is transformed into a grotesque and deadly creature with an insatiable bloodlust.

Now, the necromorphs are by no means attractive: most have exposed organs, severed jaws, hideously mutated limbs and other such physical phenomena. That’s why it seems strange to me that the crew of the Ishimura (or at least some of them) had the reaction they did: upon seeing the monsters through what I assume to be distress calls from the colony, they thought that the transformations were the work of god, that everyone should undergo such “blessed” procedures and that a specimen must therefore be brought onboard immediately. Right. Needless to say, it was quite a leap of faith for the rational mind in me, especially since the term “necromorph” could easily be replaced by “space zombies.”
    Isaac Clarke
    Isaac Clarke

Dead Space plays well, and its claustrophobic camera often works to its advantage, despite seeming a little forced at times. From an over-the-shoulder view, you lead Clarke through the Ishimura, repairing vital systems and slicing up space zombies (via your plasma cutter) as you go. The scares (at least in the first chapter) seem to be few and far between, with obvious ambushes and easily put down enemies; a more-than-fair amount of backtracking further serves to knock the scare factor down a few pegs, as the same environments can only make you squirm once or twice before becoming too familiar. In fact, the spookiest thing about Dead Space isn’t what you see, but rather what you don’t see. The music and atmosphere aboard the Ishimura is fantastic, and the tension caused by it nigh palpable; from the sound of clattering equipment off in the distance to the fervent skittering in the pipes and passageways that surround you, the game seems intent on keeping its players on their toes.

A Necromorph
    A Necromorph
    Despite the aforementioned issues, Dead Space is by no means a slouch and the story (again, despite some of the heinously difficult to believe events taking place) is well-paced, unveiling more of the mystery of the Ishimura at all the right moments. Speaking of the story, Visceral’s chosen method of presentation is fantastic: most of the events on the Ishimura are explained through in-game video and audio logs, and cut-scenes are few and far between, which helps keep the atmosphere thick.

All-in-all, I’m really enjoying Dead Space, and unless it does something along the way to shoot itself in the foot, I can’t see it scoring anywhere near the bottom half of the scale. Review forthcoming.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

HOLD ON THERE, BUCKEYE:

Early Dead Space spoilers to follow. Read at your own risk.

Well, I’ve literally just put the controller down after slicing my way through the first chapter of Dead Space. Set aboard the mining vessel USG Ishimura, Dead Space seems to be going for a cross between Alien and Doom in its premise, and does so fairly well. You play as silent protagonist Isaac Clarke, an engineer aboard the repair ship
    The USG Ishimura
    The USG Ishimura
    dispatched to the Ishimura after receiving a distress call from the now silent vessel. The idea (from what I’ve gathered from the audio and video logs thus far) is that one of the colonies the Ishimura oversaw found some kind of artifact on an expedition and brought it into the colony proper. Soon after, the colonists themselves began falling victim to what has been referred to as “necromorphization,” a process in which the average human being is transformed into a grotesque and deadly creature with an insatiable bloodlust.

Now, the necromorphs are by no means attractive: most have exposed organs, severed jaws, hideously mutated limbs and other such physical phenomena. That’s why it seems strange to me that the crew of the Ishimura (or at least some of them) had the reaction they did: upon seeing the monsters through what I assume to be distress calls from the colony, they thought that the transformations were the work of god, that everyone should undergo such “blessed” procedures and that a specimen must therefore be brought onboard immediately. Right. Needless to say, it was quite a leap of faith for the rational mind in me, especially since the term “necromorph” could easily be replaced by “space zombies.”
    Isaac Clarke
    Isaac Clarke

Dead Space plays well, and its claustrophobic camera often works to its advantage, despite seeming a little forced at times. From an over-the-shoulder view, you lead Clarke through the Ishimura, repairing vital systems and slicing up space zombies (via your plasma cutter) as you go. The scares (at least in the first chapter) seem to be few and far between, with obvious ambushes and easily put down enemies; a more-than-fair amount of backtracking further serves to knock the scare factor down a few pegs, as the same environments can only make you squirm once or twice before becoming too familiar. In fact, the spookiest thing about Dead Space isn’t what you see, but rather what you don’t see. The music and atmosphere aboard the Ishimura is fantastic, and the tension caused by it nigh palpable; from the sound of clattering equipment off in the distance to the fervent skittering in the pipes and passageways that surround you, the game seems intent on keeping its players on their toes.

A Necromorph
    A Necromorph
    Despite the aforementioned issues, Dead Space is by no means a slouch and the story (again, despite some of the heinously difficult to believe events taking place) is well-paced, unveiling more of the mystery of the Ishimura at all the right moments. Speaking of the story, Visceral’s chosen method of presentation is fantastic: most of the events on the Ishimura are explained through in-game video and audio logs, and cut-scenes are few and far between, which helps keep the atmosphere thick.

All-in-all, I’m really enjoying Dead Space, and unless it does something along the way to shoot itself in the foot, I can’t see it scoring anywhere near the bottom half of the scale. Review forthcoming.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xandurson

I didn't get a chance to try out Dead Space but I really want to.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

i just got this game last week, i'm on chapter 4 at the moment. Enjoying it immensely, far more so than resident evil 5 - which was fun, but devoid of atmosphere.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss
    @GamerGeek360 said:
    " I didn't get a chance to try out Dead Space but I really want to. "
    You really should, it's pretty good as far as survival horror games go.

@Sweep said:
    " i just got this game last week, i'm on chapter 4 at the moment. Enjoying it immensely, far more so than resident evil 5 - which was fun, but devoid of atmosphere. "
    Agreed. Dead Space surpasses Resident Evil 5 in my books, hands down.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Alexander

Ah what a coincidence! I've just started the 11th chapter, nearing the end. What I love is how it's a very old fashioned game yet it's presented in such a modern way. I really like the look of the game, the lighting is just superb, the colours vibrant. I'm having so much fun with it, been playing on medium and it's pretty trying at times. I found chapter 10 to be my least favourite so far.

Also potential SPOILER WARNING:

My bet is that she is going to turn on Isaac.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Stealthoneill

I have had it for a long while, but am playing through ever so slowly. I am currently around chapter 10 and really loving everything I do, cant wait to see what else you think when you get further down the story!

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Demo

Good summary, I am looking foward to buying the game. A good survival horror is something rare these days.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By buzz_clik

I was in the minority of my friends (read: I was the only one) who picked this as their GOTY. This game just got its slimy claws into me and wouldn't let go. I finished it three times to harvest all the achievements, with each new game started as soon as I'd finished the previous one. Never was it a chore to me on any playthrough.

Loved every minute of the thing. In fact, I intend to revisit it in a few months after I've waded through the pile of unfinished games I've got.

And yes, obviously I think Dead Space > RE5.

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By warp

I really enjoyed the game overall. I think the story gets kinda convoluted towards the end though. WIthout spoiling anything I will say it gets hard to figure out who or what the actual villain is because it keeps introducing secret motives on top of even more secret motives that I got totally lost. However I still loved the gameplay and its variety of neat things to do like the zero gravity puzzles that kept me coming back. The graphics and art style also went a long way; I loved how the suit looks over the course of the game as well as the menu system.

However I dont think its fair to compare Dead Space to RE5. I will agree that Dead Space controls better than Resident Evil but the latter game had those controls for a deliberate reason as opposed to sloppy design. Also, resident evil has a different approach to survival horror, choosing to focus on anxiety and gunplay as opposed to Dead Space which is all about atmosphere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.