Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Deadly Premonition is Gamasutra's Cult Game of the Year.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel
    Article Link.

Hey, the game is being recognized for awards somewhere, and not on that ironic wannabe hipster level.  For everything that the game does wrong, there are a number of things it does right.  It's funny to still see people on the forums screaming "THIS IS NOT A GOOD GAME STOP SUPPORTING IT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU" when it does, in fact, have qualities that people have been able to enjoy.

I'd say "Screw the haters" at this point, but the haters do such a fine job of whipping themselves into over-the-top ranting that such a comment really isn't even necessary or deserved.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kjellm87

DP was such a  unique game, imagen it with high budget (maybe not)

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By RobotHamster

I agree.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

The game is a technical and narrative mess, the two things that matter most in a game.  It's a bad game, people need to get over their delusions.  Just because there are weird quirky moments in it, doesn't all of a sudden turn it into a good game.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Haters gonna hate.
     Haters gonna hate.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho
    @Hailinel said:
    " Article Link.  Hey, the game is being recognized for awards somewhere, and not on that ironic wannabe hipster level.  For everything that the game does wrong, there are a number of things it does right.  It's funny to still see people on the forums screaming "THIS IS NOT A GOOD GAME STOP SUPPORTING IT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU" when it does, in fact, have qualities that people have been able to enjoy.  I'd say "Screw the haters" at this point, but the haters do such a fine job of whipping themselves into over-the-top ranting that such a comment really isn't even necessary or deserved. "
    Debatable. When you have a category called "cult game of the year", basically you're saying "we want to give an award to anything we liked this year, here have a million contrived categories."
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By weltal

I'll say the same thing here I said in the other thread: I had a great time with that game and It's on my list.
    That said this thread is just as silly as the other thread, trying to tell people how to feel about something is a fool's errand.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
    @Weltal: Its all Hal does.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Where there's smoke there's fire. The game clearly has something going for it and the snobs out there really need to get over themselves. Good for Gamasutra getting it and assessing the game's merits fairly and accurately.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho
    @Guyzea said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @Hailinel said:

" Article Link.  Hey, the game is being recognized for awards somewhere, and not on that ironic wannabe hipster level.  For everything that the game does wrong, there are a number of things it does right.  It's funny to still see people on the forums screaming "THIS IS NOT A GOOD GAME STOP SUPPORTING IT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU" when it does, in fact, have qualities that people have been able to enjoy.  I'd say "Screw the haters" at this point, but the haters do such a fine job of whipping themselves into over-the-top ranting that such a comment really isn't even necessary or deserved. "
    Debatable. When you have a category called "cult game of the year", basically you're saying "we want to give an award to anything we liked this year, here have a million contrived categories." "
    Don't hate on the Northies. "
    The Northies are a national treasure. But I know click whoring when I see it. This appeals to the kind of person who thinks anything they like should get an award, and that award validates them and invalidates the "haters", like Jeff from Giantbomb. The distinction between cult and indie is fully arbitrary, but it allows them to basically appease more frothing internet people.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karkarov

I don't see why people are so up in arms about it.  It does have good qualities and if you enjoy the type of game it is then you will have fun with it.  It definitely is not what I would call  "game of the year" but it is on my top 10 list.  If it had met it's original release date this story would have gone considerably differently.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By armaan8014
    @ArchScabby said:
    " The game is a technical and narrative mess, the two things that matter most in a game.  It's a bad game, people need to get over their delusions.  Just because there are weird quirky moments in it, doesn't all of a sudden turn it into a good game. "
    narrative mess?
    jos4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jos4
    @armaan8014 said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    " The game is a technical and narrative mess, the two things that matter most in a game.  It's a bad game, people need to get over their delusions.  Just because there are weird quirky moments in it, doesn't all of a sudden turn it into a good game. "
    narrative mess? "
    He surely meant "narrative bless".

Deadly Premonition kciks some serious ass, many magazines and lots of gamers say that. Get over it already, haters are getting tiresome.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Well in terms of the narrative and story and everything in that area, yeah, it trumped everything else this year. 
    The rest...not so much. 
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By onarum

Actually that's a very fitting award for DP, even though it's far from a great game, it still has a lot of charm, and you can just see that a lot of effort and passion was put into it.

It's a game that I'd never play myself, but watching the ER was a complete delight.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By Danteveli

Its really good game for this type of award. Cult following like Twin peaks n stuff.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Box3ru13

awesome, I tried explaining to a friend why this game is awesome and explaining its charm is just so difficult. You just gotta experience it yourself. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Enigma777

The Room is a cult movie... Being a "Cult _______" is not necessarily a good thing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @Enigma777 said:
    " The Room is a cult movie... Being a "Cult _______" is not necessarily a good thing. "
    There are a lot of productions that could be considered cult favorites that aren't of The Room's stature.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gerhabio

It deserves all the awards you can make up, I'm happy for SWERY and his team. This game was more enjoyable than a lot of high budget titles out there.
    I think we can all agree, if anything, it had heart.
    It will occupy my 11th place in my Top 10 for 2010 unless I decide I'm not having that much fun with Pac-man DX anymore.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Enigma777
    @Hailinel: I'm aware. It was just an example. Hell SOTN was considered a cult game till the public at large eventually saw its greatness.  
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Sure? I guess it deserves that, considering that "Cult" is usually a designation that is secret code for "Niche appeal". And for those people who think that having a quirky narrative and a bunch of Twin Peaks references compensates for absolutely mediocre gameplay, that award fits.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By bybeach

I enjoyed the Endurance runs (both) very much, and I have some respect for DP. 

Well,  cult status maybe is an honest one. that actually does sound appropiatte.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Sure? I guess it deserves that, considering that "Cult" is usually a designation that is secret code for "Niche appeal". And for those people who think that having a quirky narrative and a bunch of Twin Peaks references compensates for absolutely mediocre gameplay, that award fits. "
    Looking at the other nominees that they had for the award, it seems to be aimed at niche games.  Castlevania:  Harmony of Despair is probably the most mainstream game among them.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

I'm FINALLY playing through the game.  The aiming could have been a little better and the driving just sucks.  Other then that, I'm having fun so far.  Going to try to get all the trading cards on my first playthrough so if I fell like getting the full 1,000, I don't have to worry about the cards at a later date.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Should get the award for "Best Whistle Theme"^^

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Now that I think about it, that's probably the right kinda prize for the game. It did need some mentioning, it was... interesting. 

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Tordah

Not too surprising. Love it or hate it, there's no other game quite like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.