Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

First Time Playing, Looking for Advice

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Bought the game 2 years back before Dark Souls was released and now just getting around to it. I am a spear man with shield, yes I'm a pussy and have thought about switching to a different weapon. Currently I'm at a loss at what I should do next with my character, grind for more levels or keep advancing as fast as I can at what feels like a lower level compared to the enemies.

I've currently done 1-1,1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 and cleared 1-3 of enemies but had an extremely hard time doing so, spent half my time playing actually adjusting to the difficulty increase and what felt like a lack of power behind my attacks.

I'm currently sitting at:

• Vitality - 21
    • Endurance - 22
    • Strength - 18 or 19
    • Dexterity - 23

All other stats are at the base level of a soldier. Am I too low a level for the boss in 1-3 because the enemies just took forever to adjust to and bring down? Should I level up differently? I'm currently keeping those 4 stats similar but should I focus on endurance and dexterity so I can be faster rolling and get the bonus towards spears?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pyrodactyl

Don't go to 1-3 yet, it's more the endgame area. You've already done 90% of the work you need to do to get the weapon that could make this game your bitch but I wouldn't recommend looking it up, it's kinda OP. Just do areas 3,4 and 5 in any order you want and come back to 1-3 much later.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By nightriff
    morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 37

#4  Edited By morecowbell24

Upgrading your weapon will help a lot. I believe spears need sharpstone, and you can get it from those Phalanx enemies, they also drop hardstone for blunt weapons which are really good against the skeletons in the shrine of storms.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

Well, you're approaching the levels in what is generally considered the "wrong" order. This is certainly possible, but not at all recommended for a first timer. You should move on to the Tower of Latria (don't shit your pants) and other areas for awhile, cycling through locations before going deeper into any one world.

As far as your character is concerned, stat-scaling is a much bigger deal in Demon's Souls than it was in Dark Souls. It's not a terrible idea to pick a stat and just start pumping it up, then equip yourself appropriately. Since your dexterity is already pretty high, you might want to head to the Shrine of Storms and see if you can't find a curved sword. Those scale with your dexterity stat.

I highly recommend reading up on each of the different areas of the world to determine where you go an how you build your character. Each area tends to specialize in certain characteristics. A magic-user will find a lot of useful items in the Tower of Latria, a faith-based character will be well served by looting the Valley of Defilement, and Stonefang Tunnel is full of fire stuff.

EDIT: I'm sure you're aware of it already, but this is a great resource for the game.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JZ

Shields up and stab that guy.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342

Farm 1-1 for grasses for a bit, then move on to Latria. One of the best and worst things about Demon's Souls is how much more important stat scaling is comparaed to Dark Souls and how you can customize your weapons so suit your play-style for the most part (reinforce so you get S scaling for less base damage for instance).

Another important thing to remember is not to be afraid to overlevel or play as in human form. Online is fairly barren, so use your whole health bar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.