Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

New to RPG Games - What class to start off with??

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jvsexy

Hi, im kinda new to rpg games. Dont like it that much.Only played a few games such as Warcraft, Mass Effect 1/2, and Jade Empire. 

So I didnt buy Demon's Souls when it came out as I wasnt interested in it. But this week, after watching some youtube videos,Im really interested in this game. So Ive already bought it from ebay for $42 US (new).  Should be with me this week.

I was wondering what attributes or what class (or whatever it is) should I start off with? Will it be with me for the whole game or can I change it while playing? Im more into hack n slash kinda. Attack, roll back, flank, attack...  But whats best ???

I need your tips please before I get the game. Thanks !!

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Trying to think back... I think it was the Royal that was the easiest class to play as. Check out GameFAQs Demon's Souls boards to get some tips.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By frankxiv

the classes you pick at the start are just kind of guidelines, you can really do whatever you want with your souls after that.

it kinda sounds like you'd like wanderer, which is like a warrior/thief like hybrid i guess.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Interfect

Wait. You're new to RPGS? This game may be a little tough. But I personally like the wanderer and the knight...

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gloomytangent

Your class doesn't really matter much in the long term, as it only effects the gear you start with and your starting stats. After you get through 1-1 and beat your first boss you'll be able to pump points into whatever class you want. That said, the royal class is easiest for early game stuff since it starts with a magic regen ring, which helps quite a bit early on. It's generally a good idea to be well rounded... don't spec just magic, just melee, or just archery. If you do you'll probably have a lot of difficult with certain parts, even if you manage to breeze through some others.  Check out the Demon's Souls wiki for info and help if you get stuck. I started playing at first refusing to use it, thinking I wanted to just kind of discover everything myself. That was a mistake. Soon I had my netbook with me on the couch every time I played, and I would say that it honestly boosted my enjoyment of the game, although that's just me.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jvsexy
    @Interfect said:
    " Wait. You're new to RPGS? This game may be a little tough. But I personally like the wanderer and the knight... "
    Yup Ive heard its abit hard and also some threads that it isnt fun! But I like hard games,im kinda tolerant - ninja gaiden!  
    Thx for the tips so far.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jvsexy said:
    " @Interfect said:
    " Wait. You're new to RPGS? This game may be a little tough. But I personally like the wanderer and the knight... "
    Yup Ive heard its abit hard and also some threads that it isnt fun! But I like hard games,im kinda tolerant - ninja gaiden!   Thx for the tips so far. "
    Royal would be best. Or knight. Knight your just a big ol tank. And have a very nice starting shield. 
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jvsexy
    @GloomyTangent said:
    " Your class doesn't really matter much in the long term, as it only effects the gear you start with and your starting stats. After you get through 1-1 and beat your first boss you'll be able to pump points into whatever class you want. That said, the royal class is easiest for early game stuff since it starts with a magic regen ring, which helps quite a bit early on. It's generally a good idea to be well rounded... don't spec just magic, just melee, or just archery. If you do you'll probably have a lot of difficult with certain parts, even if you manage to breeze through some others.  Check out the Demon's Souls wiki for info and help if you get stuck. I started playing at first refusing to use it, thinking I wanted to just kind of discover everything myself. That was a mistake. Soon I had my netbook with me on the couch every time I played, and I would say that it honestly boosted my enjoyment of the game, although that's just me. "
    thx - good advice.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Interfect said:

" Wait. You're new to RPGS? This game may be a little tough "

This. Those games that you listed aren't exactly the most hardcore RPG experiences, and yet you're jumping into one of the most frighfully hardcore games in recent memory. Nothing that I've heard about Demon's Souls makes me think it would be a game well suited to new RPG players. Hell, I've played quite a few RPGs in my day, and I'm too scared of Demon's Souls to ever go anywhere near it. I even kind of like roguelikes and I won't play Demon's Souls.
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jvsexy

Does Royal start with a shield ? Ive read that blocking is very important.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jvsexy
    @Chaser324 said:
    " @Interfect said:

" Wait. You're new to RPGS? This game may be a little tough "

This. Those games that you listed aren't exactly the most hardcore RPG experiences, and yet you're jumping into one of the most frighfully hardcore games in recent memory. Nothing that I've heard about Demon's Souls makes me think it would be a game well suited to new RPG players. Hell, I've played quite a few RPGs in my day, and I'm too scared of Demon's Souls to ever go anywhere near it. I even kind of like roguelikes and I won't play Demon's Souls. "
    well ive already bought the game & have decided that I WILL take my time & PLAY this game no matter what !
    Avatar image for altf4_for_colors
    ALTF4_FOR_COLORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ALTF4_FOR_COLORS
    @jvsexy: 
    They start with a shield as well as a ring that regenerates their mana.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

I started with Knight, best armor until later levels.

Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chojin
    @GloomyTangent said:

" Soon I had my netbook with me on the couch every time I played, and I would say that it honestly boosted my enjoyment of the game, although that's just me. "

I absolutely agree. There`s so much stuff in this game that is never explained or even hinted at, but left for the players to figure out by themselves. Almost as if they planned/wanted players to create their own extra layer to the game by sharing ideas and info through wikis etc. I absolutely feel that I had a better experience by breaking my own rule of never using the internet to help with a game.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @jvsexy: Whatever you do don't play as the Barbarian starting off. Best stats but the awful equipment means you will get mercilessly slaughtered. It's the kind of game where, unless you regularly play cooperatively, it's best to be good at everything, at least to some degree. I went with a Soldier that had some ranged and magic capabilities - warding spell for extra defense during bosses is essential. The soldier is tanky and slow, but didn't have too many problems with survivability. 
     The Royal is a good starting choice as well because of the mana ring and Soul Arrow spell; it allows you to keep your distance from the enemies. You'll also have a rapier and buckler starting off which you can use for rolling around enemies and backstabbing.
     A good investment is to grind some levels in vitality when you're starting for extra hp. I wouldn't say that Demon's Souls is too hard necessarily, it's just very punishing of any mistakes you make. Once you adapt and amass healing herbs you should be ok to make it through the game. If you run into difficulties summon someone to help out. Also, it's probably best to beat the bosses in 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 before trying to proceed in 2-2.
    Avatar image for altf4_for_colors
    ALTF4_FOR_COLORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ALTF4_FOR_COLORS
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    "You'll also have a rapier and buckler starting off which you can use for rolling around enemies and backstabbing. "
    Plus the rapier allows you to attack while blocking. Just remember to watch your stamina meter.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

You're new to RPG games? 

And playing Demon's Souls? 

................................................................................................./popcorn

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jvsexy
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @jvsexy: Whatever you do don't play as the Barbarian starting off. Best stats but the awful equipment means you will get mercilessly slaughtered. It's the kind of game where, unless you regularly play cooperatively, it's best to be good at everything, at least to some degree. I went with a Soldier that had some ranged and magic capabilities - warding spell for extra defense during bosses is essential. The soldier is tanky and slow, but didn't have too many problems with survivability.   The Royal is a good starting choice as well because of the mana ring and Soul Arrow spell; it allows you to keep your distance from the enemies. You'll also have a rapier and buckler starting off which you can use for rolling around enemies and backstabbing.  A good investment is to grind some levels in vitality when you're starting for extra hp. I wouldn't say that Demon's Souls is too hard necessarily, it's just very punishing of any mistakes you make. Once you adapt and amass healing herbs you should be ok to make it through the game. If you run into difficulties summon someone to help out. Also, it's probably best to beat the bosses in 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 before trying to proceed in 2-2. "
    geeee.....thx for the advice...i guess ill start off with Royal n thats decided.
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jvsexy
    @jakob187 said:
    " You're new to RPG games?  And playing Demon's Souls?  ................................................................................................./popcorn "
    eerrrmmm....not totally new mate...ive played The Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion - but never finished it....lol....but i havent got much experience in rpg games,thats for sure. I really hope Demon's Souls is worth it. From the videos ive been watching on youtube, it surely does look PROMISING.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I think the main thing to keep in mind that although Demon's Souls is an RPG it is light on traditional rpg elements (party micromanagement, etc.). All you have to worry about is equipping appropriate items for the situations you are in, otherwise its main focus is on action and survival. Good luck.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Demons Souls isnt exactly a modern RPG. It has the character development, but thats about it. There is hardly any story to be told, no dialogue, no detail, you are given practically 0 info. Therefore, you shouldn't think of RPGs as this.  

With that said, its a great game. Its really fun. Just make sure you play with people, if not than its extremely difficult and just frustrating. You played ninja gaiden, which i heard is very hard, and thats good. But in Demons Souls, a death is extremely costly. If you die enough times in a level, the enemies get tougher and tougher. Also, whenever you die, you start at the beginning of the level. Also, there is no pause menu. :) (As in you cannot stop gameplay)

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jvsexy
    @arab_prince said:
    " Demons Souls isnt exactly a modern RPG. It has the character development, but thats about it. There is hardly any story to be told, no dialogue, no detail, you are given practically 0 info. Therefore, you shouldn't think of RPGs as this.   With that said, its a great game. Its really fun. Just make sure you play with people, if not than its extremely difficult and just frustrating. You played ninja gaiden, which i heard is very hard, and thats good. But in Demons Souls, a death is extremely costly. If you die enough times in a level, the enemies get tougher and tougher. Also, whenever you die, you start at the beginning of the level. Also, there is no pause menu. :) (As in you cannot stop gameplay) "
    only problem is I dont have a good internet where i live in Fiji. Will a 512kb broadband be able to handle it ? I guess it wont require a really high speed internet as only other players just leave a message on the floor. So will it be able to handle it ?
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@jvsexy: Well its not only messages. You can have up to 2 (or maybe 3) other players join you in your game. They join you and aid you with the quest you are one. They load onto your game seamlessly without loading times. Its a great feature and its extremely useful. Going through the levels alone is very difficult, having someone there would increase your enjoyment. So, I don't know if your internet can handle it. But perhaps you will like the challenge of going through the game on your own.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghostiet
    @jakob187 said:
    " You're new to RPG games?  And playing Demon's Souls?  ................................................................................................./popcorn "

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karkarov

Demon's Souls is not hard at all, anyone who would go through a roguelike has nothing to fear.  It isn't like Demon's Souls will kill you because it decided to go a half hour without randomly generating any food in the loot.  Royal is the easiest starting class and they most definitely did design the game to encourage the creation of player community and help.  

However I would not advise being a generalist, that only works in the early levels.  That said if you never plan to do more than beat it once and don't intend to get involved in the online PvP aspects you should be fine for the most part.  My personal advice to make it easier after the beginning craft yourself a dragon weapon.  One of the two wiki's can explain that process and it will make the majority of the game much more bearable.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

I like the Temple Knight faith build.  He starts off with a Halberd, which you should use two-handed (just press triangle) for best results.  Also unequip your helmet or something to get your equip burden below half so you can roll fast.  You'll also start with the heal spell and a talisman of god, which will come in handy if you want to save on healing items.  Try to get a blessed weapon soon so you can start boosting your faith stat.

Here's  the wiki.  Check out their character builds.
     http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Another wiki.
     http://www.demons-souls.com/wiki/

The best advice I can give for Demon's Souls is simply to take it easy.  Move slowly through the levels on your first time through and be careful.  If your PS3 and PC are in the same room then I highly recommend playing the game with that first wiki open at all times.  That first wiki will answer almost any question you have, but it uses a lot of the names from the Chinese version's English translation.  Good luck!

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jvsexy

Hi ALL, ive got the game now & I have to say it ROCKS !!!! Ive started with Royal and enjoying every second of the game. Thanks for all the tips !!!

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Fbomb
    @jvsexy said:
    " Hi ALL, ive got the game now & I have to say it ROCKS !!!! Ive started with Royal and enjoying every second of the game. Thanks for all the tips !!! "
    Hey, glad you're enjoying it! Were you able to connect online with your internet connection? That has to be one of my favourite parts of the game... not necessary, and not something you'll always want to have on (later in the game people can start constantly invading your world, which can get annoying), but it definitely adds something unique to the genre. How far have you gotten?
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jvsexy
    @Fbomb said:
    " @jvsexy said:
    " Hi ALL, ive got the game now & I have to say it ROCKS !!!! Ive started with Royal and enjoying every second of the game. Thanks for all the tips !!! "
    Hey, glad you're enjoying it! Were you able to connect online with your internet connection? That has to be one of my favourite parts of the game... not necessary, and not something you'll always want to have on (later in the game people can start constantly invading your world, which can get annoying), but it definitely adds something unique to the genre. How far have you gotten? "
    LOL, I just managed to finish 1 - 1.

But to tell the truth,even though its hard (cant remember how many times ive died), I just love the 'feel' of this game. Im sure im gonna complete it ............ in a few months.. LOL !!! Only time i get to play 'properly' is in the weekends.

I wanted to ask a question. How do I learn to use the Purple Flame Shield & also other weapons ? Whenever I equip it, it says something like i dont have the necessary skills and it wont be effective. Ive started with Royal and have leveled up abit from that lady in the nexus (the one with the staff and eyes patched).

Please advice.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

You need to pump points into strength and sometimes dexterity to use weapons/armor properly. Check here. See how the requirements box is 22/0/0/0? Those numbers show you what is required to use equipment, the numbers represent strength/dex/magic/faith in order. So that shield requires 22 strength. Most equipment in the game requires strength, some useful bows require dex as well. Magic and faith aren't required for much equipment, but add bonuses to some.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karkarov

What superfluous said except one thing.... lots of weapons require dex not just bows, and many many good weapons require faith or magic.  The weapon considered to be one of the best requires 18's in str, dex, magic, and faith in fact.  The important thing isn't to worry about that so much as it is just play and learn what weapons you like the most.  Once you get a feel for how you like to play you can then look for gear to your taste and pick stats accordingly.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jvsexy

Hi all, I finished world 3-1...but lost nearly 9000 souls in the process :(     the final boss (doll) beat me...on the 2nd run I was going abit fast n that octopus head taught me a lesson ! 

saturday is just coming up so ill be able to play some more of this awesome game. Okky im goin to start 4-1 now, wish me luck !

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By destruktive

It's good that you're enjoying it.

Good luck with 4-1 :)

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jvsexy

yay...i finished 4-1. The boss wasnt too hard..lol. I then spent about an hour farming for souls in 4-2. I bought the ring of avarice from that former queen in tower of latria.  Whenever I complete a run in 4-2 it gives me 8721 souls !!  Let me know if theres any other way to get more.
     Im about to finish 5-1 (leechmonger 'uroboros')
    I really never thought id be soo pleased with this game as im not in rpg. But I have to say.........I'm addicted !!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karkarov
    @jvsexy:  At the very end of world 4 there is a better area for farming but 4-2 is the best you will have right now and it is probably the most popular farming spot.  Good to hear you are making progress and enjoying things :).  Cool thing about DS is it gets easier the  more you play but not because of your level or gear but because you just plain get better at it.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By animateria

Royal.

But damn, you've picked one of the most hardcore RPGs to start with.

I'll tell you that having light armor (relatively light, I spent a lot of points in increasing my equip burden) and using magic arrow efficiently is a great way to win the game. I actually finished the game with mostly magic.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jvsexy

Wazup demons, man i think i made a mistake :(  I got the Hard Demon's Soul after beating some demon. I gave that soul to Sage Freke & got the stupid Firespray. 

I later read in wikidot that its needed for the Lava Bow to be given to Blacksmith Ed. Is there any other way to get the Lava Bow now??? I have got the White Bow but I really want the Lava Bow. 

Ive actually made some stupid mistakes in this game..lol. I actually killed Patches the Hyena. I didnt know it was him. Well it was his fault !! He kicked me inside that trap in 4-2. So I died & I came back in anger & killed him. So hes dead eh? :( 

But is there any other way to get the Lava Bow ? 
    Oh & plz tell me if there are other NPCs I shouldnt kill :)

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By animateria
    @jvsexy: 
    You can get the Lava Bow in NG+ after you beat the game. (I never obtained that Bow either) The game resets but is harder.

And Patches doesn't really matter all that much.

Just don't forget to kill Yurt... Rescue him and immediately kill him, since

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By SonicFire
    @jakob187 said:
    Agreed...Seriously...maybe not the best jumping off point for rpgs. You're in for a lot of swearing at your TV
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @jakob187 said:
    I lol'd
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Turambar

Go with a Royal if you're looking for something to ease you into the game.  That class essentially makes the first two areas of the game easy mode (provided you don't play too rashly).

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jvsexy
    @SonicFire said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    Agreed...Seriously...maybe not the best jumping off point for rpgs. You're in for a lot of swearing at your TV "
    No demon, im actually enjoying.... DAMN I had alot of FUN taking down the Flamelurker last nite!! This game isnt 'really' that hard.
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chojin
    @jvsexy said:

" This game isnt 'really' that hard. "

I agree. I think what makes people think of this as an ultra hard game is basically the lack of checkpoints. It`s unforgiving but not hard. Sure you can only take 2-4 hits, but as soon as you get comfortable with how the combat works, you`ll very rarely take that many hits in a row. The other thing is how you lose all XP (souls) if you die. People are used to WoW where death goes more or less unpunished. The fact that you lose everything is really the backbone of the entire experience. It`s what creates the tension and anxiety which defines the entire game, at least for me.

If they would have added frequent checkpoints or an instant respawn system with minimal XP loss a`la Fabel, no one would have complained about difficulty, but it would have been an entirely different and easily forgettable experience. As it is now, I don`t think anyone who`ve completed the game will ever forget it. Without a doubt one of the best times I`ve ever had with a video game.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jvsexy
    @animateria said:
    " @jvsexy: 
    You can get the Lava Bow in NG+ after you beat the game. (I never obtained that Bow either) The game resets but is harder.

And Patches doesn't really matter all that much.

Just don't forget to kill Yurt... Rescue him and immediately kill him, since

"
    Thx, I did just that. Yurt's armor is quite awesome...i just love the helmet !! its luks wicked !!!
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jvsexy
    @Chojin said:

" @jvsexy said:

" This game isnt 'really' that hard. "

I agree. I think what makes people think of this as an ultra hard game is basically the lack of checkpoints. It`s unforgiving but not hard. Sure you can only take 2-4 hits, but as soon as you get comfortable with how the combat works, you`ll very rarely take that many hits in a row. The other thing is how you lose all XP (souls) if you die. People are used to WoW where death goes more or less unpunished. The fact that you lose everything is really the backbone of the entire experience. It`s what creates the tension and anxiety which defines the entire game, at least for me.

If they would have added frequent checkpoints or an instant respawn system with minimal XP loss a`la Fabel, no one would have complained about difficulty, but it would have been an entirely different and easily forgettable experience. As it is now, I don`t think anyone who`ve completed the game will ever forget it. Without a doubt one of the best times I`ve ever had with a video game.

"
    Truly said ! I also like the fact that we can play the game alot of times even after completing it the first time (i havent completed it btw). The thought of upgrading your character to ridiculous levels is just awesome !!

Update:: Ive finished the game...now going to play NG+ 
    Thx to all who helped me out...cheeers !!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.