Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Destiny Seasons

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Hestilllives19

So the Live Team at Bungie has officially been put in charge of Destiny 2. Today over at MS 5000 Watt's Season's Stream Bungie decided to talk about how their in game Seasons will work. There will be 4 Seasons per year of Destiny (we are currently in Destiny 2 Year 1 according to Bungie). With Seasons Bungie has a few main Goals they want to accomplish.

• More predictable cadence for game updates
    • Changing themes of the player experience
    • Sandbox Tuning, new features, more content

Basically, Bungie doesn't want you to feel like you need to play Destiny all the time, but to keep coming back each Seasons to check out the new things. To go along with this, new Season Events, such as The Dawning, will last 3 weeks long from now on so that everyone is hopefully able to carve out some time during that time period to hit up the events. The Dawning will be returning shortly after Season 2 starts in Winter 2017 (likely the December 5th date we've heard rumors of). Ice Hockey and Snowball fights will be included in the Social Spaces for The Dawning. Snowball's will be propagated throughout the world, including Strikes with "reason's to pick them up and throw them". The Dawning will also have it's own new Armor Sets.

During the first two events, Iron Banner and Faction Rally, the Live Team learned a lot from player data. Bungie claims they better learned how we like to interact with the Loot System during Iron Banner. Therefor in Season 2 of Iron Banner they will be making Weapons (no mention of Armor) directly Purchasable via both Tokens and Legendary Shards. While they think the Token System is very useful, it also has flaws, therefor they are also going to allow us to obtain new Gear via Gameplay during Faction Rally (they were unclear if this was new actual Legendary drops, or if they were going to introduce Ornaments that change the Stats of existing Armor, or both of those things), and new Ornaments on Gear will unlock via Gameplay achievements, which will activate on Season 2 Iron Banner Gear.

A new event is also coming besides Faction Rally and Iron Banner. This event is called Clarion Call. During the event, any activity you complete with your clan (likely anytime half or the majority of your group is from your Clan similar to Nightfall/Raid/Crucible engram drops), your group will obtain 2x XP for that event. This may be useful for anyone leveling a 2nd character to just do Public Events or to be used to obtain free Bright Engrams quickly (otherwise this event doesn't seem all that useful, this should kind of just be a feature for playing with Clanmates). This will be coming sometime during Season 1.

Here is the list of things that will change with every season...

• Clan Ranks will reset to 0. New Clan Banners will also be introduced with new perks that reflect the activities from that new season. Clan Engram rewards will also reflect rewards from the current Season (ie Raid/Trials) rewards.
    • New Weapons and Armor for Faction (FWC, DO, NM) Rally.
    • New Weapons and Armor Ornaments (will use the same Season 1 Armor, but with Challenges to unlock the Ornaments) for Iron Banner.
    • New Weapons and Armor Ornaments (Ornaments not shown, but "They look really cool") for Trials.
    • Bright Engram rewards/purchases. There will be new Armor (not shown), Ships, new transmat effects, Sparrows, Ghosts, and Emotes. Note: All of the Season 1 Bright Engram rewards will leave the game and not return. So if you don't get the Spicy Ramen or Salty Emote, you won't be able to obtain them later. This is how it worked for the most part (you sometimes got Old Emotes as Nightfall rewards) in Destiny as well.
    • A Sandbox Update to adjust the current Weapons Meta in both PvP and PvE. This will likely adjust Subclasses as well like it did in Destiny.

While this doesn't seem all that exiting on it's own, this is also likely the time we will also see the biggest changes to other things. Stuff like fixing systems, Subclasses restructuring, Gear drop restructuring, etc. The Season's patch will be the biggest patches that includes the largest fixes and biggest changes to Destiny 2. This is a very good thing, as these types of patches only happened on about a 6 month time span in Destiny 1 and would just drop out of nowhere, which is why the line about cadence from Bungie is important. This will also give us a good timeframe for when DLC's will come out, as the Seasons Updates will pretty much always coincide with the launch of some form of new Content (whether that's minor DLC, major DLC, or a timed event). We can likely expect Curse of Osiris in December with the Season 2 update, DLC 2 likely in March (but also possibly in April, as Bungie prefers to launch their Spring content in late March to April), some sort of Event (maybe some sort of remembrance Event like Age of Triumph each year, make all Y1 End Game Content relevant) timed with Season 4 in June, and then the Taken King style major DLC that will be released next September to kick off Destiny 2 Year 2 Season 1.

I've personally been a little let down on Destiny 2 as of late, and for good reasons, but I think if people look past the "Hey here is new Eververse Stuff to buy" aspect of Seasons, there is a lot to like here (especially when you consider Eververse goodies are freely given away in Bright Engrams for just playing the game, and their prices are so outrageous you are kind of a fool for buying them anyways). While Destiny 2 may not ever be a game I can put over 2,000 hours into again, I might not even want it to be that anymore, and Bungie sure doesn't look like they do. At least now we have a sort of Roadmap to how the cadence of Content will flow in Destiny 2.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I was a little surprised to see the community more or less rally behind this announcement in a positive way. Because this doesn't fix any of the large scale issues they have with the game.

This doesn't add more endgame content, nor a better structure of endgame content, which is the biggest complaint and possibly the only complaint if you consider the other complaints are formed and derived from this one existing in the first place.

The only change here is allowing you to buy weapons (and they have only talked about weapons) in Iron Banner. Everyone has the weapons, that wasn't the issue, the issue was armor. To my knowledge, they have said nothing about buying armor. And if they did, that is one minor thing that will just get eaten again by this overarching disdain for the lack of an endgame.

I am very excited for this season and see a lot of fun in it, but I seem to enjoy Destiny 2 a lot more than other people do. I do understand what people don't like about it and this won't fix that.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: I think it's less about the exact specifics of what was announced, but more the feeling I got while watching the stream. A few Clanmates and I talked about it. We are all real bummed about Destiny 2 right now for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. This stream though, sounded to us like Bungie saying the Live Team is finally on the case again, "We got you". Considering the overwhelmingly positive changes (for the most part) the Live Team made, and the way they changed Destiny for the better after the mess the Design Team handed them, it just felt a bit comforting, even if they had obviously already been on the case. I also think for me specifically, the big takaway here is the cadence of updates, knowing exactly when to expect big things from Bungie, and knowing I can sit back and just wait for those times rather than being on pins and needles at every This Week At Bungie hoping they will dive into the "big issues". Having that foreknowledge that they things will be addressed, if at all, in December has a certain comfort to it, rather than the uncertainty that we've had in the past.

I know I've had conversations with you on several occasions, and expressed my displeasure at a lot of what Destiny 2 has done to a series I know both of us cherish so much. But this, at least to me (maybe they call this step of a recovering addict acceptance), was the point at which I guess I get their vision for the game, and while I hope they course correct quite a bit along the way to meet us more hardcore players in the middle, I understand their vision of playing at new content launches for 3-6 weeks and then putting it down until the next season. As someone who played a lot more than that in the past, it stings a bit, but hey, I pretty much just finished Shadow of War because of it and am moving onto Assassin's Creed Origins this week. I haven't really been able to do that since Destiny launched, and I'm kinda starting to love it. I feel like a gamer again, rather than a Destiny addict.

magicflounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By magicflounder

This sort of reminds me of how Diablo III ended up handling it's seasonal content. New cosmetics and armor based around challenges and whatnot.

As someone who's waited for Destiny 2 to come to PC, I'm curious how they'll handle this sort of time-gated seasonal stuff.

(Edit: Removed the question about the raid and other parts of D2 that came out after launch, Bungie already answered that in their latest this week update.)

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magicflounder: From what they have said, outside of the original timegated content in the image below, after this, both PC and Consoles should forever be day and date. Also, I assume this is the question you found the answer to on the TWAB?

No Caption Provided

magicflounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By magicflounder

@hestilllives19: Yep, I googled it shortly after posting and saw that the question was already answered. The "forever day and date" comment from Bungie answered my question about whether the Seasons will be the same on PC as well, so thank you!

airbagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this brings me back. I went in HARD when the game first came out but I can't even get my group back on after how badly IB went.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pyrodactyl

I don't know Lives, I got way too much useless cosmetic crap already. They're positioning seasons as regular dumps of cosmetic items. I've already played too much fashion Destiny. You can keep all this pointless armor and these dumb looking ships.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@hestilllives19 said:

@zevvion: I think it's less about the exact specifics of what was announced, but more the feeling I got while watching the stream. A few Clanmates and I talked about it. We are all real bummed about Destiny 2 right now for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. This stream though, sounded to us like Bungie saying the Live Team is finally on the case again, "We got you". Considering the overwhelmingly positive changes (for the most part) the Live Team made, and the way they changed Destiny for the better after the mess the Design Team handed them, it just felt a bit comforting, even if they had obviously already been on the case. I also think for me specifically, the big takaway here is the cadence of updates, knowing exactly when to expect big things from Bungie, and knowing I can sit back and just wait for those times rather than being on pins and needles at every This Week At Bungie hoping they will dive into the "big issues". Having that foreknowledge that they things will be addressed, if at all, in December has a certain comfort to it, rather than the uncertainty that we've had in the past.

I know I've had conversations with you on several occasions, and expressed my displeasure at a lot of what Destiny 2 has done to a series I know both of us cherish so much. But this, at least to me (maybe they call this step of a recovering addict acceptance), was the point at which I guess I get their vision for the game, and while I hope they course correct quite a bit along the way to meet us more hardcore players in the middle, I understand their vision of playing at new content launches for 3-6 weeks and then putting it down until the next season. As someone who played a lot more than that in the past, it stings a bit, but hey, I pretty much just finished Shadow of War because of it and am moving onto Assassin's Creed Origins this week. I haven't really been able to do that since Destiny launched, and I'm kinda starting to love it. I feel like a gamer again, rather than a Destiny addict.

I am completely baffled by the recent narrative developing in the Destiny community (specifically reddit) about the Live Team. They've been mythologized to the point of absurdity. Do people remember the actual things the Live Team did?

Festival of the Lost ring a bell for anyone? How about Crimson Days? Their "best" updates were Taken Spring and Age of Triumph, which just brought back old content for the most part. The only "new" content the Live Team ever created was the Blighted Chalice strike, which I contend is one of the worst D1 strikes.

Sure, the Live Team added some nice things like record books and strike scoring, but the majority of the additions that "fixed" Destiny 1 were added at the Taken King Launch and were done by the design team. The Live Team was pitched as a group that could add ongoing content between expansions throughout the year funded by Eververse. In reality, the majority of the events they were responsible served to promote buying from eververse more than they had actual new things to do.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@ll_exile_ll: From what I've seen, and I think this is where that idea comes from, the Design Team has only been behind Vanilla, Dark Below, the launch of The Taken King, and now Destiny 2. The people behind the Live Team have done House of Wolves, The April Update, Rise of Iron, Age of Triumph, all of the small timed events (The Dawning and the first Festival of the Lost were both very well received), and all of the patches/updates that have happened in between content launches. I'm pretty sure the Live Team is much larger than the actual Design Team and it's very likely parts of the Live Team work on both depending on the content cycles. My understanding is the Design Team pretty much only works on the annual releases, whereas the Live Team has been behind pretty much everything else in Destiny. Maybe that is an incorrect assumption and there is a Design Team A with Luke Smith's team and a Design Team B with Christopher Barrett's team. Then the Live Team with all of the Tech guys, Crucible guys like John W, etc. The reason I think a lot of people assume that the 2nd Design Team headed up by Christopher Barrett is actually just part of the Live Team is anytime they talk to Live Team members Barrett is usually one of the guys on those streams. And he just so happens to have been in charge of both House of Wolves and Rise of Iron, 2 of the more well received content updates in Destiny's lifetime, especially considering how slapped together Rise of Iron had to be since the Design Team straight missed their Fall 2016 deadline for Destiny 2, and it turned out extremely well in spite of that. I'm not saying this is completely correct, but it does appear that the Live Team has been constantly cleaning up the Design Team's messes and for years.

@pyrodactyl: Did you miss the part of the stream where they talked about how all of this is going to coincide with Content launches? Season's will be updated at the same time as the December release of Curse of Osiris.... which will be a DLC. I think you, like many on Reddit are getting stuck on the fact they they are indeed releasing new Cosmetics (ok, obviously they are, and they did the same thing in Destiny every 3-6 months too). This will coincide with a refresh in not only cosmetics, but also Iron Banner, Trials, Faction, Event, and the newest DLC gear drops.With each season we should probably expect at least 16-20 new Legendary Weapons, plus whatever they drop from the new DLC, new Exotics, new PvP maps, etc. Maybe we will even get new Vanguard, Crucible, and Planetary Vendor drops in the DLC changes (though I'd probably put that in the possible but not likely category). This is nothing but a good thing.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zevvion

@hestilllives19 said:

I am completely baffled by the recent narrative developing in the Destiny community (specifically reddit) about the Live Team. They've been mythologized to the point of absurdity. Do people remember the actual things the Live Team did?

Festival of the Lost ring a bell for anyone? How about Crimson Days? Their "best" updates were Taken Spring and Age of Triumph, which just brought back old content for the most part. The only "new" content the Live Team ever created was the Blighted Chalice strike, which I contend is one of the worst D1 strikes.

Sure, the Live Team added some nice things like record books and strike scoring, but the majority of the additions that "fixed" Destiny 1 were added at the Taken King Launch and were done by the design team. The Live Team was pitched as a group that could add ongoing content between expansions throughout the year funded by Eververse. In reality, the majority of the events they were responsible served to promote buying from eververse more than they had actual new things to do.

As I understand it, the Live Team developed the Rise of Iron expansion, including its Raid, Wrath of the Machine. Which is arguably the best Raid Destiny has ever had, not to mention: the loot grind was good. You had a guaranteed drop from each encounter and could open a chest to get another chance at that specific loot table. The Heroic had ornaments instead of an entirely new armor set like Leviathan does, while looking way more distinctive when applied than Leviathan's. There were rare ship drops, there were good perks on the armor (deal more damage to X, increased Heavy Ammo drops from Y etc.) The Challenge mode was good too.

The Trials armor was the best it has ever looked and the most frightening too if you were outfitted with full ornaments.

The Live Team has done some garbage things for sure, but I think Rise of Iron was the best expansion to date, by quite a large margin. Everything in it was fun. Additionally, they also did that mini-expansion with Strike scoring and such which I actually liked quite a bit.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

@hestilllives19 said:

@pyrodactyl: Did you miss the part of the stream where they talked about how all of this is going to coincide with Content launches? Season's will be updated at the same time as the December release of Curse of Osiris.... which will be a DLC. I think you, like many on Reddit are getting stuck on the fact they they are indeed releasing new Cosmetics (ok, obviously they are, and they did the same thing in Destiny every 3-6 months too). This will coincide with a refresh in not only cosmetics, but also Iron Banner, Trials, Faction, Event, and the newest DLC gear drops.With each season we should probably expect at least 16-20 new Legendary Weapons, plus whatever they drop from the new DLC, new Exotics, new PvP maps, etc. Maybe we will even get new Vanguard, Crucible, and Planetary Vendor drops in the DLC changes (though I'd probably put that in the possible but not likely category). This is nothing but a good thing.

Come on man. You can't be applauding them for DLC content you'll need to pay for. Content we know literally nothing about. When we're talking about live content we're taking about the live events (Iron banner, faction rally and the holiday event) as well as a few cosmetic items. Notice how all these events revolve around pumping a few cosmetic rewards into regular activities and calling it new content? That's what the live team has always done but somehow I thought Destiny 2 would be different. Somehow I thought Bungie's promises about a richer live experience weren't total bullshit this time around.

It's quite simple: Destiny is exciting when you're running engaging activities with your friends. When you're hunting down rewards that impact gameplay. Destiny becomes very lame when you're grinding the same content you've done 50 times already. The content that was barely challenging or engaging the first time around. When you're doing that for fucking virtual hats. Unfortunately, the live team only provides the latter while Bungie at large seems less and less interested in the former.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46427

I told you, the Live Team has kind of got things under control. Christopher Barrett is easily one of the best Devs at Bungie. I feel like everything he touches is gold. Here is a list of the planned changes and things they are looking into in case you don't want to look at the TWAB.

• New systems and rewards to give our most engaged players additional, optional pursuits.
    • Better incentives for players who complete challenging Prestige activities.
    • Better rewards and replay value for strikes, adventures, and Lost Sectors.
    • Private matches for the competitive community (we are targeting early 2018).
    • Crucible tuning like adjusted Supremacy scoring and better spawning rules.
    • Better incentives for completing Crucible matches (and penalties for quitting competitive games).
    • Continued improvements to Iron Banner and Faction Rallies, including uniqueness of rewards.
    • Changes to make the mod economy more interesting and impactful.
    • Ongoing improvements to Exotics, including adjustments to reduce instances of duplication.
    • New ways to spend surplus currency and materials (looking at you Legendary Shards).
    • An emote interface that allows players to equip Salty, Spicy Ramen, Six Shooter, and Flip Out all at the same time.

Things coming in the next patch next week...

• Fixed an issue with collision detection on the Bureaucratic Walk emote (basically they can bring back Trials)
    • Fixed an issue causing players to encounter empty public spaces too often in free roam (this seems to be a big issue right now on PC without Port Forwarding)
    • Updated Mercy Rule settings to allow Mercy to activate slightly later in the match, allowing a wider range of scores to trigger it (basically it will actually trigger now).
    • Clash: Score Limit reduced to 50 (was 75 and games weren't ending at score).
    • Control: Reduced Score Limit to 90 (was 100), Reduced influence that enemy-controlled zones exert over the spawning system
    • Survival: Reduced Life count to 6 (was 8), and time to 2min (was 3min). (really long Survival matches were awful)
    • Supremecy: Increased Score to 70 (was 50), but 1 Point is granted per kill; Adjusted influence Crests have on Spawn Location.

They are also working on several known issues for the PC launch.

I think all of this sound really amazing, even if some (including you) say it should have all been there at launch. Private Matches coming back and an Emote Wheel are things the Community has literally been begging for since launch (and years in D1). Same thing with punishment for leaving Crucible Matches. Reducing Exotic Duplication frequency is something they did in Destiny and it was a great change, not sure why things like that were skipped in Destiny 2 but it really needs to be added back, but my big takaway from that is hopefully they fix all of the broken Exotics, things like the Feedback Fences that don't even do what they say and could have decent potential if they did. New ways to spend Legendary Shards hopefully means a return to Vendors selling their wares for Legendary Shards. And in the same vein, Hopefully changes to the Mod Economy also comes down the line with actually changing Mods. The Mod system really could be Destiny 2's Meta Game like Armor Rolls and Random Weapon Rolls were, Bungie just needs to make the Mod system a lot more involved. Allowing you to add two Armor Perks and an Extra Gun perk could potentially make guns feel a bit more unique and useful, even it's those extra slots are PvE only. I also hope they get to their solution of "making 2nd, 3rd, and 10th Better Devils drops feel useful" that Luke Smith mentioned awhile back, I want to hear that solution. Hopefully it's something akin to making those guns better over time, like an extra 1-2% PvE damage. These are the reasons I have a little bit of faith in what the Live Team has in store for us at or before the next DLC.

ciscoidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ciscoidiot

@pyrodactyl What exactly are you looking for that isn't here? I understand the game hits a hard stop once you've completed the Raid and you're capped at 305, but what is this rich experience you're desperately looking for? You hit the nail on the head when you describe how the game hits the mark when you're accomplishing activities with friends, however that's pretty much the best of the MMO experiences. If anything, Destiny simply curbs the grind and puts a wall in, good or bad, I'm not sure.

If the leveling and light level process was halved or reduced to a quarter of its current rate of progress you could easily kick out another 50-60 hours grinding the same content to hit 305. What's your hang up on rich live experiences that Bungie describes? Is it possible what your vision simply doesn't align with what Bungie is trying to deliver?

There is easily 60 to 100 hours of great gameplay for your 60 bucks. Another 15-30 (hopefully?) hours for the next DLC. What's the shame in buying that content?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hestilllives19

@ciscoidiot: There is a lot of subtext in what Pyro was saying and unless you are extremely familiar with a few of the oldest Live Events you probably won't understand what he's saying. In Destiny 1, Festival of the Lost was a Live Event in which they redecorated the Tower in Halloween fashion and gave you a Quest to grab treats from all of the Vendors. It was a stupid little throwaway thing that only took about 15 minutes to do. You could then go do old activities to fill up a "sack of candy" and return to Tess for Rare Cosmetic Hats that featured Characters from the game. If you got lucky enough to obtain a special currency called Glue you could turn your "Paper Rare Hats" into Legendary Hats and keep them after the event so it took a lot of grinding to obtain those Legendary Hats. Otherwise you could spend real money at Eververse and just buy the Legendary Hats. Keep in mind these Hats had zero impact on gameplay (in fact it was a negative impact because they had zero Light, so it would drop your overall LL).

So long story short, basically Pyro is saying all that they are doing is putting The Dawning in the game here in December and it will be another Hat Grind. The thing is I completely disagree with that sentiment. In my opinion, the way they've changed Eververse, by giving out free Bright Engrams rather frequently, I think they have re-evaluated how they handle Eververse in general. I don't think you will see Eververse ever be anything more than what it is, and in all honetly, the only thing they should add is the ability to actually purchase Exotic Emotes for pure Silver. I don't like that those are RNG. I wish I could just purchase the ones I want again or not. To have that option. But as far as The Dawning goes, there is zero indication that they will again add the equivalent to Loot Boxes for the event. I guess we will see when it drops, but I feel they've learned their lessons there, but hey I could be wrong.

As far as the other thing, Pyro wasn't ever even happy with Destiny 1's Meta Game, something in my opinion Destiny 2 is sorely lacking in. That's the ability to grind and go from having great loot that is usable in any activity to God tier gear that makes every activity feel a lot easier. Destiny 2 doesn't have that anymore when Destiny did. I think Pyro just had a bit unrealistic expectations on how much End Game content there can be for a game like Destiny at any given time. Rather than 1 Raid, Trials, and Nightfall, Pyro wants there to be 7-8 Weekly End Game activities. I understand that feeling. We had hoped that they would do more with the Flashpoint, Clan XP, and Call to Arms because those could potentially be those activities, especially if they also added back a Prison of Elders style weekly Co-op Arena Event, but as it stands Flashpoint, Clan XP, and Call to Arms give out End Game rewards without being End Game type challenging activities to accomplish if that makes sense. I think the worry on Bungie's part is they don't want players to feel forced to do 7 Activities each week on 3 character (which would take at least 25 hours per week if they were all End Game intensive). So they made those Activities rather easy to accomplish. In Destiny 2 Bungie is terrified of scaring off Casual Players who only want to spend 5-10 hours per week on the game, rather than 3-4 hours per day. But some players like Pyro are also turned off by the fact that the game doesn't both Challenge and Reward you for deciding to spend 20+ hours per week on it. Bungie is stuck between a Rock and a hard place, and it will be interesting to see how they navigate this situation.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ciscoidiot: @hestilllives19: my hat comment wasn't about literal hats but DOTA/TF2 hats. Useless cosmetic rewards basically. When you look at prestige activities and live events that's what you're suppose to be excited about. Different looking armor and guns that are not much different or any better than the guns you already have. Now you ad the fact that most of these activities are just recycled from the most boring Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 content and you end up with stuff I never want to do.

It's not about quantity of end game activity Lives, it's about replayability. The whole activity and reward structure of the game doesn't make for a replayable experience. Especially now that PvP is out the window.

It's good that Bungie is acknowledging these problems but words are cheap. Solutions are expensive. We'll see what they come up with but I don't see them really making a dent before the fall expansion. They're still extremely slow at iterating on the game and some of these problems have deep roots. They're kind of stuck with this subclass construction, purple weapon selection, perkless armor and other badly designed core systems.

Not sure why you'd think the live team would be able to fix any of that. Their track record shows they're only able to produce minor, mostly cosmetic tweaks.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hestilllives19

@pyrodactyl: @pyrodactyl said:

It's quite simple: Destiny is exciting when you're running engaging activities with your friends. When you're hunting down rewards that impact gameplay. Destiny becomes very lame when you're grinding the same content you've done 50 times already. The content that was barely challenging or engaging the first time around. When you're doing that for fucking virtual hats. Unfortunately, the live team only provides the latter while Bungie at large seems less and less interested in the former.

Do you blame me for thinking you were referencing Festival of the Lost. That's exactly what it sounded like you were talking about here. Though one thing I completely agree with you here is that hunting rewards that have real tangible impact on your gameplay is what makes the loot fun, and I wholeheartely agree with the sentiment that the idea of that is somewhat removed in Destiny 2. Raid Weapons, Trials Weapons, and Specialty Armor is wholesale underwhelming right now. Why did our Raid Weapons/Armor not have Raid implications for the first time ever. I hate that. Especially coming from Wrath of the Machine's loot which was some of the best in Destiny's history at that. I mean extra Heavy Ammo drops from Fallen, extra health while carrying a Siva Cluster, etc. That stuff is great. How about boots that make you stealthier against Dogs, Gauntlets that drops more Power Bricks from killed Cabal, Helmets that regen a portion of your Class Ability on Orb pickup, Chest that increases sprint speed while holding an Orb, etc. I wish Leviathan had that. How about Kinetic Weapons that do extra damage to Vials in the Bathhouse and Energy Weapons that Blind Pups on hit. I wish guns had passive perks like that. Then Prestige really needed Ornaments like Age of Triumph for Armors, rather than crappy barely different colors that Shaders replace anyways.

Needless to say I don't disagree with you that Bungie needs to get their act together in a lot of ways. I think I just have a bit more hope that it will actually happen like it did with Destiny 1. Just take a look at Age of Triumph Destiny 1. While the PvP was kind of broken by a terrible Meta (worst of all Destiny 1 IMO, and still probably more fun than D2 PvP), the PvE at that time had literally never been better. That's the reason I have faith in guys like Christopher Barrett. They've been extremely consistent in making Destiny better over time. The weird part to me is how the Design Team could have spent the past 18 months in a vacuum, not knowing what the Live Team was doing, and therefor recreating problems the Live Team fixed over the past 18 months. Part of Bungie's problem right now with Destiny 2 is that right there. More than half of it's issues were already fixes in the previous game, so how they skipped applying them to Destiny 2 blows my mind. And I'm not going to sit here and link to pages and pages of TWAB's with all of the great changes the Live Team made with Destiny, but let's be real, there is a mountain of things they fixed and adjusted to make better between the launch of The Taken King and Destiny 2's launch. 1 to 1 Infusion was totally them, and you do remember how much of a Nightmare that was in The Taken King. I literally didn't hit 320 until the April Update, more than 6 months after The Taken King launched and I wasn't max level, with probably 750 hours just put into The Taken King with 25 Hard King's Fall Completions, and going Flawless in Trials at least 40 times during that time period, so it's not like I wasn't trying to hit 320. There were some really bad things the Design Team did, as good as The Taken King was, all fixed by the Live Team.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: You can't put everything from Rise of Iron and the live content into one bag. We don't know how Bungie structures their staff. There is no reason to believe the live team has enough resources and time to fix Destiny 2. It took them almost 2 years to put out one decent live update in Destiny 1 and I was 100% checked out at that point. PvP will stay terrible for at least a year. You will be able to infuse purple guns for the next 10 months so I'm not excited about any of the non-exotic guns in the DLC. Why would I be? I can just keep using nameless midnight and uriel's gift for almost everything. I would be very surprised if they do anything with subclasses.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm confident we can't expect anything meaningful until fall 2018.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: The wording they used was they 'passed the torch' to the live team. They have said similar things about Rise of Iron. I guess they could have secretly had main development staff on the live team at some point and not told us about it, but that only means they could do that again. The live team does good stuff and shitty stuff, just like the main staff does. It doesn't really matter.

They stated they were looking into alternative ways of balancing, specifically not necessarily nerfing a gun, but introducing more guns along that same power level to balance things that way. I think that could be a good way to do it and that could take place as early as december in the first DLC. Their 'to-do' list in the TWAB was pretty specific and was all things that concern the hardcore crowd's complaints and is pretty good to see them address head on. It is also kind of embarrassing that those things need to be listed as to-do and aren't actually in the base game. That said, it doesn't matter now anymore. We are where we are and from this point forward it is the right way to go about it I would say. Can't go back in time anyway. With the amount of work that would be, we can't realistically expect them to fix all that stuff this year.

We clearly have different opinions on the current state of Destiny 2, but if they manage to fix that game enough so that you are back in this time next year, that doesn't sound that bad since you have some harsh criticisms.

ciscoidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I appreciate ya'll airing out these criticisms. I was pretty set on the idea that I wouldn't drop Destiny 2 however I haven't managed to log in and participate since knocking out my Platinum trophy on PS4. Our Clan is also fairly quiet and as much as I want to come back to it, considering how much I said I would in previous posts, I'm finding my time spent elsewhere.

With all that being said, I look forward to your opinions on the newly announced DLC.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pyrodactyl

@ciscoidiot: my opinion for now is to keep your expectations in check. If they aren't talking about some feature in depth, it's because it's going to be shallow and throwaway. Don't fill in the blanks with your own speculations. For now it looks like standard year 1 DLC. Still a no buy for me but I'm expecting to change my mind since I'll run of games by December for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.