Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Did Destiny 2 fail as an MMO?

• 52 results
    weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did Destiny 2 fail as an MMO? (374 votes)

Yes 18%
    No 5%
    Destiny 2 isn't a real MMO 77%

When I say MMO I mean that in the social sense in that you can't gather a group of people to hang around and do public events and to keep the flow moving or for the raid or for ANY reason at all. You don't have local chat, nor clan chat nor regional chat! Granted you have fireteam chat and a team chat but the last one is for public events? I think? But whenever someone uses it (read never) or someone whispers to you the chat icon just blinks a bit but it is easy to miss if you're in a mission of sorts. If you use voice chat will people hear it? Not counting if they have that setting off.

As far as I know MMO is about playing with a group of players to do quests/raid so you type into chat "LFG for x" or as WoW does so excellently you just que up for the dungeon/raid and handle it from there. The only time Destiny 2 sets you up with other dudes is in Strikes and Crucible... But not Nightfall (and this one befuddles me the most) and Leviathan Raid? WHY?
    So let's go over very quickly what Destiny 2 does and does not 2 when it comes to social stuff

Does: Matchmakes for you in Strikes and Crucible (events does not count)

Does Not: Local text/voice chat, regional text/voice chat, clan text/voice chat WHY not making you team up in Nightfall and the Raid and no area where you click on something to have you team up with other dudes to do said Nightfall/Raid.

This game is giving me the impression that it wants to socialize but its overprotective abusive, really parents is shutting him in, in the name of "protection", what do I mean by that?

The reason they don't have these chat features is because they don't want toxicity in their game.
    This absolutely ridiculous and the stupidest reason I have ever heard, they want an MMO game but take away one of the more important aspects for... Tumblr tiered argument that is based on emotion rather than logic and reason?

In my opinion Destiny 2 is more like Faux MMOFPS, it tries to be an MMO but fails at the more important aspects of it. But this is my take on it and I actually want to hear other people's opinion on this matter.

Cheers.

• 
    Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By Tom_omb

@weirdo said:

...it's hard to create a community when a group of people just do one strike, hardly talk and then leave cuz it feels like the whole system they got going is against itself. Is what I feel about it at least.

I mean... yes, but that's also an accurate description of WoW since Wrath.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Deathstriker

OP, are you playing on PC? I play on X1 and never thought about voice chat in this game or any game in the last two generations since I can just do party chat and that works perfectly. Party chat is talking privately with whoever you invite in the party regardless of the game you're playing. I think it goes up to at least 10 people. I wouldn't call Destiny an MMO at all. It's basically Borderlands meets Halo with a slightly bigger scale in some regards. For it to be a MMO it would need to be massive, which IMO, would need to be at least 20 or so guardians working together at once, not just 6 or 7 people doing the same public event. It has some MMO elements, but a lot of games like Batman, Middle-Earth, and others have RPG elements, but we wouldn't call them RPGs.

I do agree that Destiny isn't very good at the social part of the game, and when it comes to player options, since raids and definitely knightfalls should have matchmaking. I should also be allowed to choose which strike I do, since the game usually gives me the same strike 70% of the time and I rarely get to do the other ones.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes. And it also fails as a Borderlands clone.

Indeed. I was EXTREMELY disappointed to find out that you visit all of the locations in the game during the single-player campaign (which is not very long) and then are supposed to simply revisit those same half-dozen locations over and over forever to get more out of it. And the multiplayer is bad. I think Destiny 2 is right behind ME Andromeda for Most Disappointing Game for me this year.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@deckard: Seems like that disappointment could have been easily avoided by reading up on the game you were purchasing. Destiny is not and has never attempted to be a Borderlands clone. So expecting it to be one is like expecting Burnout to be Forza.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.