Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

IGN First for July is Destiny 2

• 77 results
    Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Hestilllives19

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/03/destiny-2-all-the-newest-details-in-one-place-a-ign-first

Here is their planned schedule of events/reveals. Today is "The Farm", and should be a walkthrough of our new social space that is replacing The Tower as it will be destroyed at the start of Destiny 2. According to Destin, it starts at 9am Pacific today. I'll try to link directly to the content here when it launches.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hestilllives19

Chickens, Androids, and fully playable soccer court with scoring, but all things considered, there wasn't as much about "The Farm" as I was expecting. Basically we just saw the Postmaster (Darbi 55-30) and that Tyra Karn from the Rise of Iron DLC's Felwinter's Peak will be the Cryptarch at The Farm. Other than that we don't see much other than just what the social space is and about how large it will be (updated to 26 player cap), which seems to be larger and more open (less vertical spaces used) than The Tower was in Destiny 1. I guess we get to see the Shard of the Traveler off in the distance and a hint that it will indeed play a major role in the story of Destiny 2. I'm assuming all of these announcements will be with a short 3-4 minute video.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Sorry, if this was obvious, but is this an open beta or a closed beta? I guess I'm most interested in how the gameplay loop works for this game because we all know it's going to play really well.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@colonel_pockets: It's closed for the first 2 or 3 days to people who pre-ordered. Then it will be open to all.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: Over in the Info Thread we talked about it when it was announced but the Beta is coming out in stages. July 18th at 10am Pacific is PS4 preorders, July 19th (10am Pacific) is Xbox One preorders, and on July 21st (10am Pacific) the Beta goes Open for everyone. Basically PS4 and Xbox One players who preorder get early access to the Beta for 2-3 days. The Beta will end on Sunday July 23rd at 9pm Pacific.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pyrodactyl

The only meaningful info in the schedule is the exploration of a destination on the 24th. If it's just another 3 minute video I don't expect we'll know if that content is going to be compelling or meaningful past the launch window. I hope I'm wrong but for now this drip feed of info looks very limited (and consistent with the 6 subclasses theory).

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I honestly liked what I saw. I'm not sure what people were expecting, but Reddit is up in arms by how disappointing the social space looked. I just need my social space to be a social space. A place I hang out to get gear, transfer gear, decrypt gear, buy ships and whatnot. I really appreciate there being some activities to do while you wait for your third or sixth fireteam member to arrive or finish sorting his Vault and gear. It's all this space needs to be really.

From the moment D2 was announced until it releases, I am fully expecting this to be just more but better Destiny and not anything else. I am 100% okay with that.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a Second i thought there was a Farmville like mini game in Destiny 2. Hey WoW did it so it's only a matter of time.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: Yeah, I wasn't disappointed in The Farm itself, I actually kind of like what they showed. I was more disappointed at the lack of showing anything of meaning and making a video out of it. I don't really think it's IGN's fault, but Bungie is probably keeping a bit too tight a grasp on info right now. We are two months out and they can't show us all the vendors and their locations of the social space? Unless that stuff is somehow super spoilery to the story they are telling I don't really get it. I'd also, like many around here, would appreciate if they just come and talk about things people have been asking for months like 6 or 9 Subclasses. Give us definitive answers to stuff like that and not make us wait until launch to find out. Hopefully we get a deep dive on stuff like via a Twitch stream or two in August after the Beta, because right now it seems we know less about Destiny 2 than we have every single DLC over the past two years, even including free updates like Age of Triumph.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: It's two months out from release. I don't think they want to show anything that is subject to change. I understand that people want to know everything, but they don't want to make another mistake of implying something is there when they aren't sure about it.

But yeah, as one of the first if not the first person to expose Reddit to the idea that there might only be 6 subclasses at launch and getting downvoted to hell for even suggesting it as a possibility, now almost everyone being anxious it might be true, I really want to know that too.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: I really hope the plan is to have 9 Subclasses at launch and then add a Perk Cluster with each expansion. It would make me feel a whole lot better about Classes, which I'm currently not totally thrilled about. Taking away one of our Subclasses to later sell as DLC seems like a really bad decision (antiplayer, greedy, and bad for launch gameplay), especially if they just plan on reintroducing the TTK subclasses. I also really like the idea of being left with TTK subclasses after Gary steals our powers, as those 3 were not created and gifted to us by the Travelers Light in lore. Lets also be honest, if we have to play several missions without a Subclass at all, that would be horrible gameplay. Leaving TTK subclasses does make the most sense, so I hope that part of the leak for DRE was correct.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Leaving the Taken King subclasses? As in they won't return, or will? I hope they won't, I want new stuff.

Either way, I will tell you right now Bungie was never planning on adding more perk clusters. Ifthey do, it will be because people are upset right now, not because it was planned. That notion is purely and entirely user-suggested, so much so that people seem to now take it as unofficially announced, while no one at Bungie ever eluded to such a thing. Reddit is weird like that sometimes.

I always thought they should have added more subclasses than just three. They don't have to invent new elements, but you could have multiple subclasses within a specific element. For example, it made so much sense to me to start with the Sentinel and later on unlock Defender in some DLC a year down the line. An offensive and defensive subclass. We already know that won't happen obviously, since Sentinel inherits Defender's super.

It is one of the few things of D2 that I actively find a bummer.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: As in we are stipped of our Gunslinger/Voidwalker/Striker subclasses by Dominus Ghaul. We have also not yet obtained Dawnblade/Sentinel/Arcstrider, which will likely happen during the story. If we don't have both the OG Subclasses and The Taken King subclasses in Mission 1, we would be left without a Subclass to play on until we unlock Dawnblade/Sentinel/Arcstrider. If that happens it means Mission 2 is obviously to unlock the new Subclasses, which to me, would be extremely lame to just give them to you right away. But if we still had access to Nightstalker/Sunbreaker/Stormcaller, then we could go searching for power like it's been suggested the story is about, regaining our powers. The Taken King subclasses are not Traveler based according to lore, so this would be in line with Destiny lore, and we would be left weak, but not entirely helpless from a gameplay perspective, which in my mind would be a bad direction to go with the story. Then over the likely 30 story missions of Destiny 2 you could regain your power, likely by visiting the Travelers Shard seen from The Farm. Also, I expect defeating Dominus Ghaul will reunlock Gunslinger/Voidwalker/Striker in the final story mission. Though that is just my opinion on how the story should kind of flow based on what we know.

As far as Clusters go, I know that's a bunch of Reddit Theorycrafting, but it's got a whole lot of potential, and it seems like something rather easy for them to implement. It would give us the multiple builds idea from Destiny 1 without stripping away what they are trying to do with Subclasses for balance purposes. I don't think it was ever their plan to have more than 1 Subclass per Element, so while it would be cool to have 6 or so Subclasses for each Class, I don't think we will ever see that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, but I just don't see it happening. So getting 10 different build possibilities by the end of Destiny 2 for each Subclass, even if there is only the 9 we've talked about would still be rather cool. That's 90 (18 at launch and 36 by April) different playstyles that would be in the game by that point. As far as new Void Hunter, Solar Titan, and Arc Warlock Subclasses go, I wouldn't be upset at that notion either, but this is the same Bungie Team in charge of Destiny 2 as The Taken King, so I'd be surprised if they abandoned what they worked so hard on back then entirely. Those Subclasses reworked could also be a lot of fun and fill in a lot of void left right now by the currently known 6 Subclasses. So I'd rather have those 3 at launch than new Subclasses in DLC 1 or 2 down the road.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things we learned today, some activities will be loadout locked, meaning once you load the activity, what you had on cannot be changed. This sounds interesting, though it kind of breaks what Destiny has always been good about, which is allowing you to swap weapons/armor freely and at anytime. I totally get Ammo Removal penalties for weapon swapping, but not allowing swapping at all in activities seems harsh. Maybe it's just per darkness zone, and on for things like Nightfall and the Raid. Should make things interesting though.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig it. Sounds pretty good so far. In fact, everything I have heard sounds good except for:

• No choice in subclass perks.
    • Possibly only two subclasses at launch.
    • Possibly only three subclasses in three years.
    • Possibly rewards will stop mattering extremely quickly.
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pyrodactyl

You know when people complained 1/3 of Destiny 1 was in the beta they were complaining about the lack of content. What Bungie heard: "there was to much content in the Destiny 1 beta".

It looks more and more like Destiny 2 is vanilla Destiny+tweaks. Destiny 1.5 that doesn't address the biggest problem with the first game: content

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I think we will have to wait and see. Destiny 2 comes in at a different place, and a beta with a Patrol would likely give too much away, so I don't think that's necessarily a bad move. We still have no idea how large the campaign is, but it will likely be much larger than Vanilla was at only 20 Story Missions and 5 Strikes (+1 PS Exclusive). On a side note, during yesterday's Vision for Destiny 2 video they showed the Nessus Map.

No Caption Provided

Some people over at Reddit have gone through it and found...

• 5 Lost Sectors (Double Humps like above The Cistern)
    • 4 Treasure Maps (Circle with Dot)
    • 3 Public Events (Blue Diamonds with an Orange Timer)
    • 7 Adventures (Shield and Sword)
    • 4 Landing Zones (Triangle in a Circle)
    • 19 Patrol Beacons (likely what those Double + signs are)
    • 1 Strike (Blue Shield with Crown above Exodus Black)

If this is indeed indicative of just 1 planet, we are likely looking at an awful lot of activities just on Patrol to do; 20 Lost Sectors, 16 Treasure Maps, 28 Adventures, etc. It is also possible that this is an incomplete map too, so there may even be more, seeing as how we only see 1 Strike and zero Campaign missions. Also, Nessus is supposedly the smallest of the 4 Maps, with EDZ being the largest, so those numbers could actually be higher than that. But keep in mind this is all subject to change, as this was the other previously show view of Nessus at DRE, and it has changed noticeably in the last couple months, including events, locations, and landscape.

Personally, I'm hoping for around a 10 hr Campaign with 30ish Missions (anything more would be extremely time consuming to finish on all 3 characters), 7-8 Strikes (Plus the PS Exclusive), and maybe 8-10 extra hidden Missions after the campaign has concluded (including ones for Exotic Questlines etc.). That added to how much there is to do on Patrols, would actually be pretty substantial, so if Bungie hits around that, I'll be very happy.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I'm not sure I agree with everyone saying Destiny had a content problem in terms of quantity. Yes, at first it obviously did. But when Taken King launched I remember specifically using as much of my free time as possible to play it, and I couldn't even keep up with all the stuff to do.

The quantity wasn't so much the issue as the frequency between content updates was. They can have the exact same amount of content, or even slightly less, if they update at a steady interval. After you mopped up all there is to do, waiting 3 months for something worthwhile to come out is a long time. If they release House of Wolves/Dark Below-like expansions at a rapid pace, that sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not so sure as everyone else seems to be that I want Destiny to be something I play for 4-8 hours a day and never be able to be done with it (at least for a little while) at that pace.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I was also happy with Taken King at launch but we ended up dropping the raid way sooner than even Crota's End and they didn't ad much compelling activities compared to vanilla and the other expansions. What we need is one more robust full fledged repeatable end game activity. Maybe those rotating hard mode patrols will be that. I certainly hope so.

One thing is for sure: what we got in the Taken King was not enough. I didn't feel compelled to do the post game missions until way later as part of an exotic quest. The secrets of the dreadnought were quite lame, inconsequential and required an online guide (basically my biggest pet peeve in video games). The trickling exotic quests were neat but not substantial. Basically all additional activities were limited, reused old content often in boring ways and most of them didn't lead to anything worth the trouble.

I hope they do better this time around.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: It's not like I like all the content The Taken King offered. In general, I'm not a fan at all of Luke Smith's design style. It is very constrained and static. I actually like the exact opposite: flow. I also played King's Fall the least out of any Raid, simply because I thought it was shit design. At least for my playstyle.

It is a given that the content that is there should appeal to you. But purely on the subject of quantity of content, there was a lot of it. I played for like 12 hours a day for the first week almost, then continued to put 4-8 hours a day in and it took me a few months to get to the point of 'okay, I'm done for a while'. If D2 repeats that amount of content but updates more frequently, I'll never be done. People think that is the beautiful dream, but I'm not so sure I agree.

Like... I need my life man.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThePanzini  Online

Luke Smith was on the Giant Bomb E3 podcast last year and said he would be happy for players to stop playing Destiny after few months then come back for new content, Destiny 2 seem to be following this logic making the content easier to obtain for alot more people with frequent events to keep players coming back.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After regrettably buying Destiny 1 for $60 and learning that it's like 6 hours of content in a loop over and over, I'm hoping either they completely get rid of that in Destiny 2 or some other game like Anthem or next Borderlands destroys them quality and popularity wise.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing to add aside saying this kind of outlet-exclusive media dripfeed seems pretty strange.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: That's not an accurate description of what it was even then. Either way, Destiny 2 will be more of that, so you probably won't like it.

@paulmako It's kind of a bummer. That reveal event was fun. That's the type of stuff I'd like to see.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deathstriker

@zevvion: Maybe it wasn't 6 hours exactly, but base Destiny was "play a very limited amount of content in a loop over and over" it wasn't worth $60 IMO, which is why it was such a divisive game. If they're doing that again then good luck against Anthem and other games.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Destiny was also immensely successful. I'm not trying to say you are wrong for disliking it. You will likely dislike D2 as well since it is more of the same. But I don't think it likely it won't be a success again. There is a reason games like Anthem and The Division exist. There is also a reason why so many games are adding Destiny elements in their games. The stuff is well liked.

We don't really know if Anthem is going to be much different though. But when I look at myself, I could probably describe myself as a hardcore Destiny fan. But I'll also play Anthem, it looks super good. There is no reason both games can't be successful.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hestilllives19

New PvP info released today. Voidwalker and Sentinel officially shown off. New map, Endless Vale, was shown in all videos. Changes in Control were also discussed. Things of note:

Control Changes

• Points A & C are capped at the start of the match, 1 per team.
    • There is no longer a neutralization on capping a point, you automatically start capping, and capping is faster, but is no longer speed up by multiple players on the zone.
    • Capture flags are now transparent (hopefully this goes for Ghost death locations as well, as shooting a dead players Ghost was always extremely frustrating).
    • Points are simplified, 1 point per kill, 2 points for a kill while holding 2 zones, and 3 points for entering Power Play (holding all 3 zones at once).
    • Time limit is set at 8 minutes, no indication of the amount of Points to win though.
    • Mercy will be active during the Beta, but exact values haven't been determined yet (likely one of the things they will adjust post Beta as well after they get Beta Data).

Sentinel & Voidwalker

• Sentinel Super showed off (looks amazing, like the best parts of Sunbreaker mixed with the Vault of Glass Aegis Shield that you can now throw).
    • Voidwalker Nova Bomb looks crazy. Might just be the spec but it is extremely slow, looks like it has Angry Magic (tracks around walls), and blows up close to an entire room, killing anything in that room.
    • Scatter Grenade on Voidwalker looks pretty cool. We haven't seen the damage it does, but it appears to drop several large balls of death (looks like around 6 on the outside, and another 4-6 right where it lands) on impact in about a 5m diameter each with a pretty large explosive radius.
    • Blink was shown off. Looks like it still has the no radar for 1 sec changes made in the last Destiny 1 patch, but it appears to move you quicker than in Destiny 1.

General PvP Changes

• Spawns in Control (maybe other gamemodes) are given about a half second of Overshield.
    • Some form of Grimoire still exists. Shown achieving Record Complete - The Quickening.

Weapons Info

• Sweet Business auto rifle looks to have the fastest TTK (14/11, but a faster RoF than Doctrine of Passing once Spinning) on any weapon shown while Spinning Up.
    • Auto Rifle shown in Voidwalker vid looks similar to Haakon's Hatchet/Zhalo type Auto (mid Impact) doing 17/13 which is compared to the 20/16 that archetype does in Destiny 1 currently. Auto's also seem to have a lot less damage falloff than they do currently, which is one of the things making them pretty useless, this pushes their uses from a Short to a Mid Range Primary.
    • SMG's looks pretty good at 13/10 with a faster fire rate than Doctrine.
    • Pulse Rifle looks pretty bad at 22/15, but as Hawksawish RoF (Hawksaw is 25/17). It also appears that Range Dropoff for Pulses has been reigned in quite a bit as we often saw shots for 21/14 at rather close range (closer than Auto Falloff). Note it maintained this same dropoff damage at pretty far distances though.

Keep in mind both TTK of weapons are subject to change and the speed at which both the Titan and Voidwalker has been said to be older footage than both DRE or E3 so those speeds have been brought down (even though I much prefer these faster movement speeds personally). Other than that the TTK's of primary weapons is, as was already known, much slower than Destiny 1 (average of about 1.5 seconds per kill vs around 0.9 seconds in Destiny 1 currently). It is highly likely how much Sweet Business speeds up will be slowed, as it looks pretty broken compared to other weapons right now. Other thoughts are that Sentinel looks amazing and the Control changes seem really solid. I am still extremely curious if a Voidwalker Vampire build is possible, but we will likely not see that until we see it's full Subclass at a later date (only Dawnblade, Sentinel, and Arcstrider will be playable in the Beta).

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: just poking in here to say that blink being seemingly exclusive to void walkers is the latest in a long line of garbage decisions regarding subclasses.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hestilllives19: just poking in here to say that blink being seemingly exclusive to void walkers is the latest in a long line of garbage decisions regarding subclasses.

I'm just glad it's still in the game. Movement in Destiny is already pretty dull when compared to games like Titanfall 2 or LawBrakers. Not that I want to see wall running and slide hopping added to Destiny or anything--it's not the kind of game--but we certainly didn't need what little there is of somewhat unique movement options removed in the sequel.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. Titan mains rejoice. We're once again the coolest and most honorable class. Hooray.

I like how that Nova Bomb looked though. I'm also pretty confident that is just one of two variations. It will have a faster bomb. It might be the one they showed during the reveal event that splits into multiple bombs on impact. Alternatively, it might be a Sentinel Super type thing where holding L1 + R1 changes your regular bomb into this slow hogging sun of death.

I have to say, I really like how all the classes look so far. Except for Gunslinger. It think it's lame.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

I like it. Titan mains rejoice. We're once again the coolest and most honorable class. Hooray.

I like how that Nova Bomb looked though. I'm also pretty confident that is just one of two variations. It will have a faster bomb. It might be the one they showed during the reveal event that splits into multiple bombs on impact. Alternatively, it might be a Sentinel Super type thing where holding L1 + R1 changes your regular bomb into this slow hogging sun of death.

I have to say, I really like how all the classes look so far. Except for Gunslinger. It think it's lame.

As much as I hate how limited the new "shade-step" will be, the idea of it instantly reloading your weapon is pretty cool. It looks like each class is going to have their fun little differences again.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hestilllives19

@spaceinsomniac: My only gripe about the Hunter "Shade-Step" is that the two options have completely different animations. The far preferred, IMO, will be the animation from Destiny 1 that is actually a roll. But that one is set to reload your Melee ability. The reload your ammo ability is like a quick Side-Step, it's not bad and would have been cool, if it wasn't that the old Shade-Step is still that much cooler looking to perform. I'll reserve judgement until I get it in my own hands next week. Pretty excited about that. Though I'm now most interested in jumping into a Sentinel Titan because that looks fantastic. They literally married my two favorite things from Destiny 1 into the Sentinel Super, which is Sunbreaker Suncharges and using the Aegis Shield. Add to that throwing the shield looks fantastic and acts like Hammer throws. I'm very excited to get my hands on it. Add to that Suppressor Grenades, which were arguably one of the best and infuriating to play against grenades in Destiny 1, and Sentinel looks like the Subclass to beat for PvP. I imagine it getting some major nerfs early in Destiny 2, because it's going to be a monster. @zevvion has talked about Striker making Sunbreaker irrelevant, I very much disagreed. Sentinel however, very much is the beast I always wanted Sunbreaker to be (and it almost was, but after the Dec. 2015 nerf, it has always been extremely broken and never fixed).

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pyrodactyl

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @zevvion said:

As much as I hate how limited the new "shade-step" will be, the idea of it instantly reloading your weapon is pretty cool. It looks like each class is going to have their fun little differences again.

I would've gladly taken a more interesting and team oriented ability over shade step for all hunter subclasses. But instead most of the class' appeal seems to hinge on this one ability that is only truly great if you own a 150-200$ controller. If there are only 6 subclasses hunter will, without a doubt, be the most boring and uninteresting class. They might still be the ''best'' in non objective PvP game modes but outside of that I don't see the class being nearly as useful as warlocks or titans in any situation.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Striker has inherited the perks that made Sunbreaker good. The only thing it is missing is a throwing hammer. Which considering how easy those are to miss, is not that big of a penalty. Instead it gains a smash, which has always been great. Multiple too. If you could choose between a smash or a hammer, it would be a smash 9 times out of 10.

Sentinel honestly doesn't look too much like Sunbreaker. It is a new thing. The dash is much shorter, except it can be spammed. This is more reminiscent of Bladedancer than it is Sunbreaker. The Shield throw has no arc, has native tracking and can bounce off targets. That's not comparable to a hammer, it is something new entirely.

Sentinel will likely be very strong. I will love playing it. I will likely like it better than Sunbreaker. But it isn't the same thing. Between it and Striker, how would you bring back Sunbreaker without seriously redesigning that subclass? Otherwise it would simply be a lesser of Striker and Sentinel both.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: I honestly think it's a difference of playstyle with Sunbreaker then, because Striker looks like Striker on the move to me. Don't get me wrong, it looks fine. But it doesn't seem to have that Velocity, Power, and shifty Maneuverability Suncharge gave you (beware of the language, but DevilsWish77 is one of the better Sunbreakers around) while being able to throw Hammers and Twilight dodge (I know, an Exotic Armor). But all of that seems to have been added into the philosophy of Sentinel. Being able to properly use the Aegis Shield was honestly one of my favorite things in Destiny 1. There is this smooth grace to the movement you can do with it if you know what you are doing which makes it easy to use but at times hard to master (so to speak). Sentinel truly feels like they married that graceful movement, added a shield throw, and then added the sheer power of Suncharge. Specifically the swipe replaced Twilight Garrison in Super for agility and movement evasiveness, the bash is basically the same as Suncharge only uses less Super energy, and the shield throw is likely a shorter range throw than a Hammer but looks like it can be used to engage someone in another direction when you need to bash into another enemy one way, which is exactly what I use Hammers for. It looks fantastic, and truly what I would hope for a replacement to what I love about Sunbreaker. The style of Sunbreaker from it's launch of running around tossing Hammers just doesn't work anymore, coming from a Sunbreaker main. In Destiny 1 currently you absolutely have to be quick and extremely evasive, and hope that Suncharges actually attach to players instead of pushing them 10m away from you forcing you to use another Suncharge at the same player, which happens all to frequently. Add to that the fact that Sunstrike, the melee only registers the actual melee about 50% of the time (if that), Sunbreaker is easily the most frustrating Subclass in Destiny 1 right now, because it's completely broken and doesn't function correctly a good % of the time. Hopefully those aren't problems we see in Destiny 2.

Note: Thermal Vent on Sunbreaker should be the best Sunstrike melee. It it suppose to do 104 damage, 13 Explosive Damage, Push Back the target, and burn for 5 ticks of 7 damage (2 if the player is wearing Memory of Similar, then it does ticks of 2). That should theoretically be a total damage done of 152 and push the target away from the player. Though what happens in practice is this. You can see 4 body shots hit him for 17, so 68 damage is done (would have been more but in air accuracy still leaves a bit to be desired, which has also been improved in Destiny 2 across the board I read), and the melee should have registered for 104 plus 13 on impact and one immediate tick of 7 burn damage, leaving him at 192 damage taken. This likely wouldn't have killed him, but remember that explosion is also supposed to propel him backwards like this did here every single time. Notice how the Hunter here has taken around 124 damage properly as he floats off the map. So the Titan in the first video should have been thrown into the wall, well out of Shotgun range, and burned out after either his 2nd or 3rd tick (199 or 206 damage done, keep in mind most Guardians have around 200 health, Titans can go from around 196-204, Hunters from 188-198, and Warlock from 192-199, 206 Titans with Eternal Warrior/Unstoppable which nobody runs and 202 Warlocks with The Ram which is also extremely rare anymore, depending on Armor Spec; keep in mind I'm doing those off memory so they may be off an HP or two but they are very close). This would be fine if this only happened on a rare occasion to Sunbreakers, but I honestly rarely even melee anyone anymore because of it's horrible inconsistencies. A solid % of the time I end up in situations like the video above where I'm killed with a player having a fraction of health, with only the 13 Explosive and 7 tick damage done from the Sunstrike, and the player never even moving.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: I've made a thread on Reddit about Sunbreakers being broken, mentioning Thermal Vent not dealing damage and Suncharge whiffing when it shouldn't and often not even colliding even though you make contact. Bungie themselves replied that they are looking into it at that time. This was about 9 or 10 months ago. They never did anything about it. I'm guessing they just couldn't fix it.

As someone who loved playing relic in VoG (along with Atheon it is the one redeeming quality of that Raid), relic wielding and Sunbreaking are not at all similar. The swipe from a relic can't be compared to the Twilight dodge nor an empty Suncharge. I get your point, but it having range, melee and a dodge is not what I consider similar when the feel of it is completely different.

Also keep in mind that Sentinel footage was from an older build. The speed of the jump has since been nerfed, whereas the Striker footage we saw had the nerf in place. The Sentinel looks much faster because of this, but it really won't be aside from spamming melees. But notice that it will be specifically spamming melees. A single melee is much shorter range than a single dash from a Striker which looks more in line with Suncharge.

I'm going to say this right here and let's come back to this when the third subclasses are announced: if Sunbreaker returns, it will be revamped. Obviously I could be wrong, but it makes no sense to me for it to return with similar hammers and Suncharge. I'm willing to bet the Solar Titan, whatever it ends up being, will focus on single target damage a lot more and be a better option in PvE for majors or ultras. Or rather, I would be disappointed if it was just a split of Striker and Sentinel, because it would just be less good than either of them in any specific role.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Yeah I remember reading your post on Reddit and thinking amen someone is finally talking about this because it had been like that for about 7-8 months at the time. As far as Sentinel goes, I know what you mean by them already nerfing movement speed so I guess we will see next week how it feels compared to that footage (keep in mind also that looked like a pretty bad player using it and it was still wrecking shop). The only reason I was comparing it to Sunbreaker is because of the Speed and sheer Velocity shown that is comparable to how a competent player can use Sunbreaker now. Its abilities looks almost identical to that of the Aegis Shield, which has a more fluid and graceful look to it. Which is why the footage we've seen of Sentinel so far, looks so striking to me, is because it is marrying that Veracity and Grace of both. But that, like you said could change if they've also slowed down the movement speed of the Super abilities on Sentinel as well (as honestly they should, it will be extremely OP in skilled hands otherwise). But even at a slower pace the engagement angling, targeting multiple opponents quickly, and being able to dodge from player to player will still exist, which is why I see it so reminiscent of Sunbreaker, as it's not necessarily the animations themselves, but the playstyle mentality I love about it. At this point, I completely agree with the idea that Sunbreaker, if returned, should be a wholly different Super (hopefully more of a Ranged Gunslinger like Super) and more resemble early Y2 Sunbreaker (without the health/regen obviously) rather than a Y3 Sunbreaker, as the Sentinel now pretty much fills that void in my opinion.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: We'll have to see. Also, the closer we get to the beta, the more bummed I am that we're getting a beta this far out that only lasts 5 days. I will go insane with wanting to play it.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@deathstriker: Destiny was also immensely successful. I'm not trying to say you are wrong for disliking it. You will likely dislike D2 as well since it is more of the same. But I don't think it likely it won't be a success again. There is a reason games like Anthem and The Division exist. There is also a reason why so many games are adding Destiny elements in their games. The stuff is well liked.

We don't really know if Anthem is going to be much different though. But when I look at myself, I could probably describe myself as a hardcore Destiny fan. But I'll also play Anthem, it looks super good. There is no reason both games can't be successful.

Well, Transformers is also very successful so we all know popularity doesn't equal quality. Destiny has a lot of pros and did a lot right, but the idea of such little content for $60 and doing the same missions repeatedly still annoys me, plus they sucked at giving out loot in a loot game. I don't really care if D2 does well or not, but I definitely hope it's not the king of hill, since I'd like quality to be rewarded with success. Division was announced, shown, and outlined before Destiny came out, so I'm not sure how you give it that credit. I haven't seen a ton of games adding Destiny elements, but maybe I missed that.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hestilllives19

@deathstriker: The thing is it's hard now to talk about Destiny in the same sense as Destiny launch from September 2014. And from your own admission you didn't even play that same Destiny as many of us did, since it sounds like you just played through the Campaign. I probably had 500 hours into Vanilla Destiny before The Dark Below launched in December, but that's because I played Nightfalls, Raids, Queens Wrath, and Iron Banner. I also did Vault of Glass several nights each week. Vault of Glass is what made vanilla Destiny successful, and if you weren't able to Raid, vanilla was a pretty awful game with a 5-7 hour pretty bland story, and an interesting Crucible but one that didn't really go anywhere. The thing with Destiny though is it has is a living breathing organism, and has grown/added so much that Destiny 2 can't even remotely be compared to vanilla by any stretch. Dark Below added Crota's End, which is my opinion was the worst Destiny Raid, but it's still a Raid, and that's content nobody else on consoles is really doing even today, FPS RPG Raiding with mostly solid mechanics. Then House of Wolves dropped and added both the Prison of Elders (meh, even the new version), and one of the best things they ever did, Trials of Osiris. A truly competitive PvP arena, with rewards that matched it. It was the second real meaningful End Game Content, and the first for PvP players (Iron Banner has slowly become the Casual End Game PvP). It single handedly turned the Crucible into what it is today. In my honest opinion, if it wasn't for Trials of Osiris, Destiny would have sizzled out long ago, and quickly after each major DLC launch. House of Wolves also offered the first glimpse of truly decent story within Destiny. Then came the juggernaut that was The Taken King. This DLC completely revitalized what most had hoped vanilla Destiny would be. It had a solid campaign, improved character progression, a new Patrol arena (which included a cool little event area called Court of Oryx), the largest Raid to date (even still, and honestly it's probably a bit too big for a Raid) with King's Fall, and added 3 new Subclasses. The Taken King's launch is why most aren't worried about Destiny 2 being like vanilla. Then we had Rise of Iron, which was smaller, had a slightly worse but still fine Campaign, a new Patrol (with a much better Event Arena in Archon's Forge once it was patched), IMO the best Raid in Destiny to date with Wrath of the Machine, and slight tweaks again to improve on the TTK character progression issues. Fast forward to the Age of Triumph a few months ago and it once again eased up on character progression (some think a bit too much), and made every form of End Game Activity current. So in Destiny right now, you have Nightfall, Archon's Forge, Prison of Elders, Vault of Glass, Crota's End, King's Fall, Wrath of the Machine, Iron Banner, and Trials of Osiris as End Game content. It is truly a massive game now, and shadow of the game it was during Vanilla in the best way possible.

Now of those activities, we know that we will see Nightfalls return, a new Raid, Iron Banner, and a new form of Trials of Osiris. Add to that we already know about Flashpoints, which are described as End Game content on one planet that will change each week. We also know that they have added Lost Sectors, Treasure Maps, and Adventures to Patrols (5/4/7 just on the smallest planet Nessus). This will also be added to the likely 25-30 Campaign missions, a likely hidden 10 or so Exotic/Post Game Campaign missions, randoms Patrol Public Events and likely tiny beacon missions, and probably 6-8 Strikes. It is also possible, since we saw them in House of Wolves (kinda if you include Prison of Elders as that), Taken King and Rise of Iron, that we will see another Event Arena (there is zero current evidence of this, just my speculation). Hopefully (if it exists), it's similar but more fleshed out than Archon's Forge, as these cool features are extremely neat since they are basically giant Public Events activated by players. All of this is also supplement by the introduction of Guided Games, that helps players without Clans use it as a form of LFG within Destiny. This is something that will vastly improve grouping, along with the improved, now in game Clan system.

I'm not saying Destiny 2 won't have it's problems at launch, I have fears about it too (most of those come from a Hardcore player side). But acting like Destiny 2 is going to be anything like vanilla Destiny with a 6 hour campaign in a loop, is nothing short of a joke.

Sidenotes: We don't know what Destiny 2's loot system will be like, especially with the announcement of Static drops and some form of reward for multiples, but if current Destiny is any indication, Legendaries are extremely common now and Exotics aren't all that rare. One of the dev's even claimed he obtained the Sunshot HC before he finished the campaign. Here is another video talking about another recent interview about Exotic drop rates being higher, but less than 3 of Coins.

Also, in today's IGN video, Bungie claims "Bungie did the best work we've done for Destiny 2... A wide variety of story channels... story infused throughout the game... there is story everywhere... I hope people will complain about how much story we have... That would be the Reddit thread I'd like to read 'To much da** story (typing animation)'." This is likely developer BS before a launch, but what I will say is from what we've seen of Homecoming, the first mission, the story looks on point from the perspective on the first mission. So hopefully there will be a lot more to love in that department than we got in vanilla, or really anything outside of The Taken King. Another note is that Activision also announced both High Moon and Vicarious Visions are the ones working on DLC content. This likely both frees up Bungie to put all of there concentration on the Yearly sequels and major DLC's and also puts full development studios behind each DLC. This sounds like nothing but good news on the content front.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: The Division was restructured after Destiny launched. I could also be mistaken, but it sounds like you're talking about vanilla Destiny. Destiny is currently packed with content. It has more than The Division. It has more than any Halo game. It has more than Titanfall, it has more than Call of Duty.

I'm not saying the game is perfect, but some of the criticism you read, especially on this website, hasn't been a thing since the first three months. I get that its launch was shitty, but it feels unfair to keep judging it by something it hasn't been for a long time.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deathstriker

@zevvion said:

@deathstriker: The Division was restructured after Destiny launched. I could also be mistaken, but it sounds like you're talking about vanilla Destiny. Destiny is currently packed with content. It has more than The Division. It has more than any Halo game. It has more than Titanfall, it has more than Call of Duty.

I'm not saying the game is perfect, but some of the criticism you read, especially on this website, hasn't been a thing since the first three months. I get that its launch was shitty, but it feels unfair to keep judging it by something it hasn't been for a long time.

Yes, I am talking about the base game. It wasn't worth $60 to me, I regretted buying it, therefore I didn't want to sink anymore money into it or further support them. I do understand that it has grown and changed a lot since then, but that doesn't really change my experience and I'm sure their GOTY version of the game that comes with DLC is worth $60, but what they originally put out sure wasn't.

It also just wasn't the small amount of content, but the story felt amateur at best (fight the darkness lol, with very limited cut scenes and lore), they sucked at giving out loot (I remember reading that they later updated this), the mission design was awful (it was always "walk in here, kill everyone, then push a button" or "wait for the robot to download/upload as you kill everything"). I'm not saying it was a horrible FPS, just very mediocre, I think some of the hate (not all) that the latest Mass Effect got should've gone its way, but it is looked at divisive game - some pretty big sites gave it 6s and 7s for a reason. If Bungie got better at mission design (some Halo games also have horrible mission design), story, and a few other things then I'd give it a shot, but odds are they won't.

I remember Ubisoft showing off Division and talking about features like loot, RPG elements, co-op driven, etc before Destiny came out. They premiered Division at E3 2013 and Destiny came out fall 2014. Division did get some rework (like most Ubisoft games), but loot, co-op, and those other elements I mentioned before were always talked about.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion said:

@hestilllives19: I've made a thread on Reddit about Sunbreakers being broken, mentioning Thermal Vent not dealing damage and Suncharge whiffing when it shouldn't and often not even colliding even though you make contact. Bungie themselves replied that they are looking into it at that time. This was about 9 or 10 months ago. They never did anything about it. I'm guessing they just couldn't fix it.

As someone who loved playing relic in VoG (along with Atheon it is the one redeeming quality of that Raid), relic wielding and Sunbreaking are not at all similar. The swipe from a relic can't be compared to the Twilight dodge nor an empty Suncharge. I get your point, but it having range, melee and a dodge is not what I consider similar when the feel of it is completely different.

Also keep in mind that Sentinel footage was from an older build. The speed of the jump has since been nerfed, whereas the Striker footage we saw had the nerf in place. The Sentinel looks much faster because of this, but it really won't be aside from spamming melees. But notice that it will be specifically spamming melees. A single melee is much shorter range than a single dash from a Striker which looks more in line with Suncharge.

I'm going to say this right here and let's come back to this when the third subclasses are announced: if Sunbreaker returns, it will be revamped. Obviously I could be wrong, but it makes no sense to me for it to return with similar hammers and Suncharge. I'm willing to bet the Solar Titan, whatever it ends up being, will focus on single target damage a lot more and be a better option in PvE for majors or ultras. Or rather, I would be disappointed if it was just a split of Striker and Sentinel, because it would just be less good than either of them in any specific role.

Titan's rejoice, this actually isn't true at all according to Fran. Titan Skating may be in the Beta next week as it was most certainly in the build as of June 26th.

https://twitter.com/franmirabella/status/885263606727692292

"Pt.1 IGN captured Destiny 2 footage at Bungie the week of June 26 for IGN First. The game builds are of course newer than the May 18 reveal."

"Pt. 2 Bungie also provided some assets. As it's not a final product for release, the game is always changing. Can't wait to see the Beta!"

"Pt. 3 Games change rapidly in final stages of dev. Generally, if Bungie doesn't tell us a fact about gameplay, wait for the final game."

"For context -- folks were speculating we were capturing an "old version" of the game; ironically, based on old, speculative comments."

Edit: This is just a mess...

TripleWreck: "That conflicts with what I've heard from the Crucible team directly." & "I heard that the IGN gameplay footage contained elements of a build that predates the DRE/E3 stuff in regards to movement speed specifically"

Fran: "Right, that's totally possible still. But he point is the footage is new, and the game isn't done, so gotta be careful assuming what ships."

Everyone is kinda just pulling their hair out now, as there has been no official word from Bungie about this Publicly. If nothing else, I guess we will see with the newest build version next Tuesday...

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Destiny was an immensely successful game, but I would not be surprised if Destiny 2 had a substantial drop off in sales compared to the original. I'm reminded of the guys talking about franchise sales on the Bombcast post COD Ghost where Jeff said it's not the mediocrely received game that suffers in sales, it's the follow up game. Once people feel burnt they are less likely to come back for a sequel. As someone who put 300 hrs into Destiny, I'd love for it to be an Assassin's Creed/Uncharted/Mass Effect situation where the sequel improves on the original in every way, but the buzz/hype around Destiny 2 with the general gaming audience has been so low that I'm doubtful how successful it'll be regardless of quality. And Activision is a publisher that isn't afraid to drop an IP, even a moderately successful one, if it isn't hitting the high numbers they want.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hestilllives19

@passivespiral: Serious question, where is this coming from... "buzz/hype around Destiny 2 with the general gaming audience has been so low that I'm doubtful how successful it'll be regardless of quality"?

From everything I've seen this is as far from the truth as possible. There are a couple Destiny 2 articles from a major news outlet every day (coverage is at least 10x more than that of any other single E3 game), and many sales predicting sites are expecting it to be huge. As in 3M PC digital sales, and another 1-2M console sales digitally alone. Considering Destiny's history of high physical sales, this, if true, would mean big numbers for Destiny 2. Forbes even contemplated yesterday whether or not Destiny 2 will dethrone Call of Duty as the top dog in sales this Fall.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/07/11/does-destiny-2-have-a-shot-at-outselling-call-of-duty-wwii-this-fall/#3d1f08353710

https://dotesports.com/general/destiny-2-pc-console-sales-forecast-superdata-15824

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Apologies, I'll rephrase - I have not heard much buzz/hype around Destiny 2 in the communities I follow. I remember a lot of excitement leading up to the original Destiny, and by comparison the response to Destiny 2 feels tepid. I'm not sure what you're basing the 10x more coverage than any game at E3 on; personally I heard/saw/read a lot more about the two new Mario games than anything else - and I'm not even interested in those so I wasn't seeking it out.

That Forbes article is a freelancer opinion piece based on the fact that Destiny 1 sold well and COD has not sold as well as it used to and ends with "Or maybe Battlefront 2 just shows up to stop them both to dust." It actually says STOP them both to dust instead of STOMP them both to dust, that is their typo not mine.

As for SuperData's Forecaster, the article says is a new program and they don't mention it having successfully predicted anything before so...I guess we'll see if they are right? I hope so, I'd love for Destiny 2 be great and do well.

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PassiveSpiral

@hestilllives19: To be fair, the hype around the first Destiny was astronomical so that is probably an unfair standard to hold to the sequel. Also, the impressions I have heard/seen have been pretty positive. And since it'll be on PC this time around it'll probably do as well if not better than the first game sales wise, even if the console numbers slump. If anything, my comments come from a place of concern of hoping for a really great follow up to first game that I did really enjoy.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anecdotal, but I have several friends who either skipped Destiny 1, or never bought any of the DLC, and they're hyped to try Destiny 2. I think it's going to do quite well, especially if the content is there, and it reviews well.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hestilllives19

@passivespiral: No need to apologize, your experience just seemed like the polar opposite of what I've been seeing. That being said I probably come from the complete opposite angle, of seeing Destiny 2 news everywhere because I'm more actively seeking that information out. In my defense over the past two weeks Polygon has released 5 Destiny 2 articles, PC Gamer has had 11 articles (mostly reposts of news from other outlets), and for obvious reasons IGN has had over a dozen original content articles in the past two weeks. Destiny 1 is, even currently the 3rd most streamed game, has the 5th most views at one time in 2017 (behind E3 Coverage, Counterstrike/Dota2/LeagueOfLegends likely tournaments), and is currently at this minute in the top 20 in viewership when absolutely nothing is going on in Destiny tonight. There were over 847k (some players who accumulated both a PvP and PvE stat would be counted twice, so keep that in mind) Destiny players on Yesterday, in a game that should be completely dead 3 years after the fact and 1 week before the Beta of the sequel, and around 200k unique accounts drop into Trials of Osiris each weekend still. Maybe it's just me but those don't seem like numbers being put up by a franchise that is in any way in trouble going into Destiny 2.

But like I said, my 10x number comes from a perspective of seeking out Destiny information, and the only game I've seen talked about even remotely as often lately is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds; that game seems to be everywhere as well. It does sound like we can agree on the hope that Destiny 2 does well though, if nothing more than to make Trials playable again, because those 200k Savages are brutal to play against anymore, haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.