Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Looks like the PC version is coming out on Oct 24.

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Orexis97
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

A lot of games do that, not a lot of time to wait for a superior game IMO especially just a loot shooter. I would much rather have an optimized game than have it day one and be full of issues.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If this was the case several years ago I might have been inclined agreed with you.

But in the current release environment I feel like there is just always so much stuff around to play anyway that starting on 1 game a bit later is just not a biggie anymore. We now have a developing culture on the PC of people waiting for sales etc anyway. And it's not like being "part of the zeitgeist" is an issue either imo since Destiny 2 will find a plenty big audience on the Blizzard launcher. It's also not a good enough thing to be a "too hot to miss" the window on kind of game imo. Finally like mentioned above with games releasing these days full of issues having a window where at least some of them might be addressed is not a bad thing either.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this is a bummer. I really would like to wait and get the PC version, but my concern is that the majority of the player-base will all flock to the PS4, leaving precious few for the PC version.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fine - I'd much rather them take the extra time to make a good port instead of rushing something out to hit day and date with the console versions.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Hestilllives19

@do_the_manta_ray: To an extent that's already going to be the case since Destiny 1 was primarily played on PS4 for most of the playerbase. So there are already around 8.15 million people on PS4 who bought and played Destiny, and it's likely numbers will be very similar there for Destiny 2. With another 4.85 million on Xbox One, you may see that number drop some but I assume the vast majority of the PC playerbase will be new to the Destiny franchise. I think PC will be fine though, as it's likely some players will own both a Console and PC copy, and the Blizzard PC fans will surely bring at least a couple million players in. I think the PC playerbase will be just fine.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Ah, optimism at its finest. I do hope you're right. But right now, I feel inclined not to wait and just pick up the PS4 version.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The date and the ps4 exclusives bothers me more than it should probably. The worst thing about this is that I don't trust my self to not buy the PS4 version and play that until the PC version comes out. I'm playing right into their hands

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is JUST long enough that I will likely not be able to wait. Since I'm such a garbage human I will probably end up with both PS4 and pc, and I'll hate myself every time I remember that I bought both versions.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Honestly I would rather have the delay than have them rush the PC version and have a simultaneous release trash fire like when MKX (or Batman) released on PC.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

this is one of those times where i feel like a cross platform account would have been nice, just so i could pick up and play anywhere and probably would have bought for both ps4 and pc.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It sucks that they aren't all releasing at the same time but its only about a month and a half wait. Also WoW gold is paying for my copy so I can't complain too much.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing how I only play this game with friends, and all my friends are on battle.net this is perfectly fine.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also WoW gold is paying for my copy so I can't complain too much.

Right that's an option. So you're telling me I should pick wow back up and play that until I can afford the PC version so I won't feel that bad about buying two version of Destiny (again)? Because it sounds like you're telling me specifically to do that. Well I guess I need to start playing wow again. goddamnit

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By matatat

I think I saw that they outlined some of the "exclusive" stuff for PS4. Was this just timed exclusive stuff or completely exclusive? I never really kept up on whether that content, even from the first game, eventually made it over to Xbox. Was there ever content that was completely exclusive to PS4? I'd much rather go for PC, but if you're getting extra stuff on PS4 then I might have to do that instead.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

You'll have to wait about a year and half until all the DLC is out and they're selling it bundled together with the patches and balance tweaks for half the price anyway.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat said:

I think I saw that they outlined some of the "exclusive" stuff for PS4. Was this just timed exclusive stuff or completely exclusive? I never really kept up on whether that content, even from the first game, eventually made it over to Xbox. Was there ever content that was completely exclusive to PS4? I'd much rather go for PC, but if you're getting extra stuff on PS4 then I might have to do that instead.

The PS4 exclusive content in Destiny 1 is timed, but it's a long wait. The Year 1 exclusives made it Xbox as part of The Taken King, and the Taken King and later exclusives will be released on Xbox when Destiny 2 comes out.

Even though a wait of a year or more sounds terrible, I urge you not to make your platform decision based on exclusive content. Because of the way Destiny works, even PS4 players barely ever see that content. For example, nightfall strikes are the same across all platforms, so the PS4 exclusive strike is never a nightfall. Xur sells the same items on all platforms, so he never sells PS4 exclusive items. The weekly Trials of Osiris map is the same on all platforms, so PS4 exclusive PvP maps are never part of Trials.

The Destiny/Playstation exclusive partnership is probably the dumbest in the industry. It hurts all players, even the ones that technically have access to the exclusives, and it needlessly cuts down on the amount of available content for everyone.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ll_exile_ll: True, except for the gear mostly. Things like Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo were fantastic weapons and exclusive. There were more than a few Xbox players legitimately upset they couldn't get them for the longest time.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@ll_exile_ll: True, except for the gear mostly. Things like Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo were fantastic weapons and exclusive. There were more than a few Xbox players legitimately upset they couldn't get them for the longest time.

Yes, but between year 1 exotic drop rates and the fact that Xur never sold those weapons, only hardcore and lucky players were likely to have them. Further into the year obviously more and more people got them, but the Playstation exclusives were many players' only missing exotics for a long time (myself included).

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ll_exile_ll: But that's not necessarily due to them being exclusive solely. Gjallarhorn wasn't exclusive and many people were missing it for almost a year too. It was more part of the grander problem Destiny had with its loot distribution. If we take Year 2 weapons for instance, those are not rare at all. I don't know anyone who wanted the Jade Rabbit that didn't have one drop in a week or two.

I'm not advocating exclusive gear though. I really don't care that people on other platforms also get the same guns I do. Actually, I do care. They should. But if they don't, that doesn't really hurt me whereas the exclusive Strikes and maps did.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I guess I was moreso thinking about the story content and not so much gear content. I didn't know they had unique weapons to PS4 for a while. But I do remember there being at least 1 (maybe two?) strikes that were PS4 exclusive. I thought I remember them being timed but I couldn't remember if that was actually the case or not.

Regardless of content I'm more likely to gravitate towards whatever platform people I know choose to play on, so if that's PS4 over PC then I'll probably take that route too.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@grapesoda said:

Right that's an option. So you're telling me I should pick wow back up and play that until I can afford the PC version so I won't feel that bad about buying two version of Destiny (again)? Because it sounds like you're telling me specifically to do that. Well I guess I need to start playing wow again. goddamnit

Last time I checked, wow tokens were up over 100k gold a pop. You would need 4 of them to buy Destiny. That's definitely farmable, but if you just need an excuse to get back into WoW, Legion is really good.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I want to give Destiny 2 a shot, but I think I can wait an extra couple months. No way I'll even be through my backlog of amazing games from this year by then.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lv4Monk

I hate finally getting PC releases when nobody around me even cares about the game anymore. Unfortunately for the average gamer a month and a half is long enough to get sick of the game and start to forget it ever existed. It wont kill a game for me but this pattern of PC showing up so late to the party gets increasingly frustrating, if for no other reason than my work days going by a little more slowly.

Maybe I'm projecting here but this always gave me the vibe of big publishers not valuing their PC releases enough, like they wont allow such an insignificant platform to impede the marketing titan that is their core console releases. I imagine dudes in suits telling PC players they should consider themselves lucky to have the game at all.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my buddys on ps4 so ill prob get it there. odds are good im double dipping, though.

PaddyDodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean... that's really not that long of as wait, to turn me off.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By linkster7

@trilogy said:
    @linkster7 said:
    @grapesoda said:

Last time I checked, wow tokens were up over 100k gold a pop. You would need 4 of them to buy Destiny. That's definitely farmable, but if you just need an excuse to get back into WoW, Legion is really good.

I stopped playing in December so I have played most of legion already, so I think I already have enough spread around for at least one token. And they have to have had released a lot of new content in the last six months, right?

I'm not sure about the best time to exchange into tokens, when I checked last time I played they cost around 70k.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two months is fine. I think there is a good amount of people that want to play this on PC. Some may double dip and this brings me to an industry pet peeve of mine. I really wish companies would have you sign in to your account and whatever weapons/armor/skins/whatever you have on one version would carry over to all versions. I hated this back on Street Fighter IV where I would have costumes on one version but not the other.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been waiting a couple of years now to play Destiny on PC, it's a bummer it is not day and date, but I can wait two more months.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.