Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

This game is very... fluffy?

• 64 results
    Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Itwastuesday

it feels like exactly what your parents/grandma/random 'cultured' adult imagined all games must be like. just hours of mindless robot shooting with a story that is impossible to care about, and some numbers go up, and you drink red bull and eat pop tarts for some hot exclusives

i mean it's probably pretty cool for someone who's like 13 but it does leave me thinking i could probably find a better use for my time

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@devise22: Kinda makes you feel sorry for the regular people of the world who have to deal with those Guardians being so full of themselves :P.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is basically Diablo 3, but a FPS sci-fi game that also behaves like an MMORPG. A handful of people are going to care about the story, but the bulk of the people are here for 1) Sick loot. 2) Raids and dungeons. And 3) PVP. Not necessarily all 3, but some combination of those three.

Just to go a lair deeper, the three classes (now more than ever) sort of ring of the "holy trinity" of class design that seems to exist in a lot of mmo-ish games now.

Titan is akin to a tank. I mean, sure there aren't any tradition aggro mechanics that I'm aware of, but Titans start off with Sentinel that gets a shield and can put up walls and barriers to mitigate damage.

Hunter is dps and I don't really think I need to talk about how that makes sense.

And Warlock is akin to Support/Healer as they put down rifts that can heal and empower your allies and have a few things that aid allies in various ways. Again, as with the Titan, it isn't all that traditional since you aren't watching health bars and spending the whole dungeon healing the tank (not to mention that you can whoop some ass as well) but the ground work is there, with the addition of Rifts that Warlocks create now.

The point is, if you are here for a grimdark battle for humanity's survival....you maaaaaayyyyyy have come to the wrong place.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

@devise22: Kinda makes you feel sorry for the regular people of the world who have to deal with those Guardians being so full of themselves :P.

Well the first contact in the game is a regular person and she is decidedly fed up with most of the Guardian bullshit so yeah probably.

There's a couple moments of the ghost being like "We should come back and raid this place when we get the chance" and shes kinda like 'No fuck you WE can die!'

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@dijon said:

i mean it's probably pretty cool for someone who's like 13 but it does leave me thinking i could probably find a better use for my time

Like drink red bull to get hot exclusives and play other videogames?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Casepb

Yep that's Destiny. Did you never play the first game or something? You know when I think about it you describe every Blizzard game as well. It's meant to be enjoyable for all ages. Halo was the same way.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: Man you figured me the hell out, i didn't play the first Destiny due to its lack of... a lot of things, to me loot should be a nice little reward for having fun and not the primary driving force behind a game, i also dislike most of Blizzard's art styles used in their games, including what they did to Diablo for the 3rd game, and the reviews for Halo games caused me to play everything up to Reach, but only enjoyed the first game on PC because mouse aiming reduces the tedium of slowly breaking enemy shields. When it comes to story it's definitely a Bungie issue for me as unless you get deep into the books or other fiction around the Halo games, what's in the games themselves is thin and kind of boring, it's almost a retread as Halo is also a story about humanity's struggle against outside forces, full of characters who just don't seem upset or angry enough to actually be in those situations.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it has some of the nicest environments I've ever seen in a game.

I'm 37.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

@notnert427 said:

@boozak said:

I havent played Destiny 2 but it sounds like an over course correction for how drab and lifeless the first game was

Well put. It seems like Destiny 2's tone is the way it is purely out of spite for the backlash the first game received (deservedly). The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle with some occasional levity to break the monotony, and it looks like both games have failed to get there for opposite reasons.

I find myself agreeing with the OP here. Many games have leaned hard into the "hero" aesthetic of late, and it falls really flat for me. The flashiness, incessant quips, neon colors and whatnot just all feels so....forced. It's this elaborate presentation that desperately wants to convince you that everything is cool instead of making things that are actually cool. The game shouldn't have to try to shove it in your face constantly, and that it does perhaps says something.

There's zero nuance to it, so I bounce pretty hard off the whole thing. When every bit of dialogue features a lame "zinger", none of it works. Being bombarded with unfunny banter is a cringefest for me. I generally like Nathan Fillion, but not even he can be irreverent enough to salvage the cheesy lines, and it's worse because you always know exactly what you're going to get from the "comic relief" character they have him playing here.

I'm not saying the game is inherently bad or anything (although it sure looks like OG Destiny + weak attempts at humor and a brighter color palette), nor am I saying I'm "too mature" for the game as if I'm above it or some shit. Personally, this just isn't my style, and it's probably just me getting out of touch, because it certainly seems like a lot of games are headed in this Overwatch-y direction. That's cool, and I genuinely hope people are into it (and this).

However, this isn't what I was hoping Destiny 2 would be. There's an awesome game that could be made around the top-notch controls of Destiny somewhere in there, but the progression/periphery is still kinda bullshit, and they've missed the mark twice in tone, IMO. Maybe Destiny 3?

I'm a good little ways into the game and other than that 2 or 3 super inoffensive lines by cayde in the beginning, I don't know where all these constant zingers and catchphrases are. It seems like a pretty standard shooter narrative to me with kinda all right characters. They can even at times be endearing. I guess if you're talking about the ads, then I can see how obnoxious the game might seem, but doesn't really transfer over to the end product Imo.

The progression feels a lot better than it was in vanilla destiny. They really fixed that stuff with the taken king and that's carried over thankfully. You level up, get points to put into your class. And when you fight dudes they drop better pieces of armor that in turn raises a number called power. Is that the progression you mean is bad? I mean, it's a pretty standard Rpg system. Am I missing something? I also don't get the feeling that the game is trying it's hardest to shove its coolness in my face. Different strokes I guess. I hope none of this comes across as mean, cause I definitely don't mean it that way. I just feel like I'm playing a different game than the one a lot of people here are (or aren't in some cases)

Virtually all of the dialogue seems contrived entirely at the player, like it's more riffing on what's happening than a conversation anyone would actually have with anything. It just makes it feel so much more video game-y, in that someone out loud states the reaction the player is apparently supposed to have, or the characters overtly proclaim the actions/motivations of others (or worse, third-person about themselves). I find it mildly insulting that the game doesn't seem to respect the player's capacity to figure this shit out on their own, and rather than fleshing the characters out meaningfully over the course of the story, the game pretty much force-feeds the player straight-up bios on each one and directly or indirectly tells the player how to feel about them. That's...not great.

Examples from the QL:

"I can help you, but I'm gonna be super unpleasant about it."

"He's, like, not that smart."

"This is NOT going well."

"Only my captain can access those memories, and he's super dead."

"I'm guessing this is why they don't like him leaving the tower."

And that was all within the first 20 minutes. I'm reminded of that awful Rob Schneider FMV game they played on UPF a while back.

As for the progression, yeah, it's not much different than a lot of RPG/MMO systems these days, but intentionally gating progression heavily via multiple currencies/randomized loot to try and force people into a timesink is a pet peeve of mine that extends way beyond Destiny, so I won't go on a rant there. Suffice it to say that I groaned loudly when Jeff's shader turned out to be a one-time consumable on one portion of his armor. While only a cosmetic example in that case, it's an example of how ridiculous this shit has gotten in terms of inventing more hoops to jump through via grinding, and when that is required for stuff like weapons that actually affect the game, it's a real bummer. Then again, I guess I should expect a loot game to be a loot game.

I'll stop complaining about Destiny 2 now, because I'm watching myself crap on a game I'm not going to be buying that others seem to like, and that's not really something I want to keep doing. I just wanted to clarify my issues with it, but that it's not for me doesn't mean it's bad or shouldn't be enjoyed. I still think some kind of Destiny/No Man's Sky hybrid that trimmed some of the bullshit could be fucking incredible, and I honestly kinda wish I could ignore/compartmentalize/tolerate some of my issues with the game as it is, because it does play really well (at least the first one did, and I'm assuming that hasn't changed). As an aside, it's awesome that this is a place where people can productively disagree. Cheers, duders.

Okay for one, those dialogue examples are from a single character (The A.I. Failsafe on Nessus) It's a malfunctioning A.I. with a split personality. It came off more as quirky than insulting if anything. Two, the shader thing is super dumb, and I've expressed how much I hate it already in two different threads. It is bad and I hope they change it. Three, I still don't see the problem with progression if you've ever played an Rpg before. You only need to start concerning yourself with any kinds of currency when you get into the late game. I've been having loot sometimes thrown at me without doing anything besides shooting people and doing activities as I move forward. I have yet to really grind anything and I'm already waaaay above the Power level than what is recommended for missions. Not once has it felt like a time sink or a way to gate my progression. When you do get toward the end game, there will definitely be a grind of sorts to maximize your power level for high end stuff, but you can play through the game without concerning yourself with that for the most part. Just playing the game will constantly net you better gear at a satisfying pace.

The part I bolded is the most confusing. What made you think that the game in any way gates good or progressively better weapons behind a heavy currency design? (I haven't watched the whole quick look, but I have played a significant portion of the game, so maybe they speculated that in there?) I mean, the vendors in different zones do sell slightly better gear than what you have, but not only is it fairly cheap in comparison to the glimmer drop rate (you will have more glimmer than you know what to do with) you'll also just find better stuff 5 minutes later without even trying. So buying anything is kinda rendered moot at that point. (Xur is a different story, but that's for high end gear/exotics and is mostly inconsequential for the most of the game) I have more awesome guns that I loved using than I can handle. And it's all from random enemies I shoot while I'm playing the game. For real, I have to get rid of/store the copious amounts of good guns I have so I can use better ones. If you think that you as a player are pigeonholed by having to pay in game currency for better/ more fun guns to use then you are mistaken my good duder. And as I've already explained getting better gear doesn't require a grind till the late game when you're doing stuff for nightfalls and raids (end game stuff) You could easily get 15 hours out of the main game without worrying about that stuff.

Also, I very much appreciate your attitude in regards to the discussion. It is nice when people can disagree in a polite way. Thanks for being cool duder!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder what LeBron thinks of D2.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it has some of the nicest environments I've ever seen in a game.

I'm 37.

I know we're not "supposed to" say anything positive about Mass Effect Andromeda, but I think that game has way better environments, probably the best looking alien worlds this gen. Destiny 2 has some good spots, but one of the planets is just an oil rig. I think it's Nessus or IO that has the red grass, which does look very nice. MEA playing with gravity was also nice, every area in Destiny behaves like Earth and that's a little boring.

After beating the game, D2's story is basic as hell - the last 1/3 is a bit Saturday morning cartoon since the villain's plan is awful and way too over the top.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i totally wish this game had space Hillary crying about how Bernie Sanders made here lose the election. The last mission is you killing space Hillary cause she was the head off the space illuminati. Also space Donald trump is a illusive man funding said mission. I call this space opera "2016 a space odyssey".

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By GundamGuru
    @deathstriker said:

I know we're not "supposed to" say anything positive about Mass Effect Andromeda, but I think that game has way better environments, probably the best looking alien worlds this gen. Destiny 2 has some good spots, but one of the planets is just an oil rig. I think it's Nessus or IO that has the red grass, which does look very nice. MEA playing with gravity was also nice, every area in Destiny behaves like Earth and that's a little boring.

After beating the game, D2's story is basic as hell - the last 1/3 is a bit Saturday morning cartoon since the villain's plan is awful and way too over the top.

Dude, every area in Andromeda has standard gravity, too, except one side quest moon that you can't get out of the Nomad on. Like, I'm against circlejerking as much as the next guy. But the only truly alien planet in Andromeda was Havarl. Otherwise you had space Navada, space Antarctica, space Utah, and the space Sahara. That game had tons of potential, and the environments did look nice. But alien? Nah. (That was actually the whole point of those worlds, they were colonies. Closest to home we could find). You're not going to convince anyone the game was actually okay by making stuff up about it.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Deathstriker
    @gundamguru said:
    @deathstriker said:

Dude, every area in Andromeda has standard gravity, too, except one side quest moon that you can't get out of the Nomad on. Like, I'm against circlejerking as much as the next guy. But the only truly alien planet in Andromeda was Havarl. Otherwise you had space Navada, space Antarctica, space Utah, and the space Sahara. That game had tons of potential, and the environments did look nice. But alien? Nah. (That was actually the whole point of those worlds, they were colonies. Closest to home we could find). You're not going to convince anyone the game was actually okay by making stuff up about it.

There are other elements like floating/moving rocks, weird vegetation, animals, and hazards like heat, lightning, etc that make it feel like an alien place... that's what I meant by "the places in Destiny behave like Earth". There are also zero gravity or gravity shifting moments in MEA on ships, there's no zero gravity in D2 at all even when my friend and I were on the outside of an alien ship trying to get inside during a mission. Pretty much all the places in this game are overly habitable and don't affect gameplay (I know some of that is explained in the lore, but that's still boring). One of those worlds is an oil rig with some of the worst looking water/liquid I've seen this gen.

Creating alien environments has never been Bungie's strong suit, since being on a halo in their earlier games felt just like Earth, which is why I appreciate the red grass and other things that a few places had here. That's my opinion, I'm not trying to "convince", I was just saying what I think, which is the point of forums and I definitely wasn't making stuff up. Calling the desert area Nevada is obviously an oversimplification, by that logic every desert area in every video game is Nevada. Also, I said "I think that game (MEA) has way better environments (than D2)". I didn't say MEA has the most alien/weird worlds this gen. If that was the case I'd probably say No Man's Sky has the weirdest, not MEA or D2, but since those worlds are boring and get repetitive I think MEA has better ones.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

@deathstriker: I liked ME:A although I haven't played too much of it. Yeah I agree, the people saying it was 'worst game ever' and stuff like that are complete idiots, absolutely gorgeous looking game if nothing else.

As for destiny I'm just a sucker for post apocalyptic type environments, really hit the spot for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.