Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Do you get xp for avoiding enemies?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Super early on, only finished the hostage situation, and I've managed to pass through several rooms without incapacitating guards. Is there any XP for avoiding guards entirely, or am I handicapping myself for not going back and hunting them all down?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

You are technically missing out on some XP.

• You get bonus XP for getting through a level and not getting seen at all - Ghost (500)
    • There is also bonus XP for not triggering alarms - Smooth Operator (250)
    • There is no bonus XP for not touching the guards, since well you are effectively doing less. You are rewarded for the extra work involved in taking out guards by the XP you get for taking them out.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl

There's bonus xp if you finish an area/objective without alarming any of the guards (you can still stun or kill them provided no one else sees you do it or spots the body).

MasterKickface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MasterKickface

Yes you do get XP bonuses for completing objectives without setting off alarms and without being seen. I know one of those bonuses is called "ghost" (I think it is the no alarms one) and it gets you a lot of XP (500 I think). The game is pretty balanced so that stealthy people and combat people both gain EX for playing the game their way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's too bad. I feel like when games suggest avoiding confrontations altogether, they should incentivize it. Alpha Protocol actually handled that extremely well, you got more XP at the end of the mission for guards that never knew you were even there.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By veektarius

@Brodehouse: I don't know if the others weren't clear enough, but to clarify, you do get experience for the guards not knowing you're there. It's just that in many cases, this is actually easier than it is to take them all out without them knowing you're there. So you get the bonus & the takedown experience if you take them out without being detected, and just the bonus if you avoid them completely. I think it's a fair system.

When you consider the relative bonuses, Ghost and Smooth Operator give 750 points collectively ( you can get them both, right? never really noticed) compared to 50 points for a non-lethal takedown (10 for man down, 20 for merciful soul, 20 for expedient) . As such, you would need to take down at least 15 enemies in an area (in the most point-rewarding way, which is tough with that many dudes) to equal the reward you would get for avoiding them entirely. If you kill all your enemies with firearms, on the other hand, this is only a 20 points at best (if you headshot, 10 for Marksman, 10 for Man Down). As such, you would actually need to kill 38 enemies to beat the bonus for going undetected, which I'm pretty sure is impossible... the only area with that many enemies is the last level and you get no points for dealing with them.

So it's quite fair to say you are missing out on more experience by being detected than you are by avoiding enemies. Not that, at the end of the day, there's any shortage of experience to be had.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Brodehouse said:

That's too bad. I feel like when games suggest avoiding confrontations altogether, they should incentivize it. Alpha Protocol actually handled that extremely well, you got more XP at the end of the mission for guards that never knew you were even there.

You are incentivized just on a different way. With Ghost and Smooth Operator bonus. And to get them will also mean the guards never even knew you were there.

It is much easier to just put on Cloak and just run through the level then to actually try to take out the guards and still keep the above bonuses at the same time. Extra effort is rewarded not less effort.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veektarius: @Tennmuerti: You get the no detection bonus whether you incapacitate them or not, so logically the ideal method of play is to incapacitate everyone without being detected. So far, that hasn't really been an issue. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting time incapacitating dudes when I would get as much from avoiding them.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

No, there is no bonus for 'avoiding guards entirely'. Taking everybody out without being detected will give you the most XP. It's bullshit, because sneaking past everybody without taking them out is obviously way 1337er, but there it is.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Jimbo said:

No, there is no bonus for 'avoiding guards entirely'. Taking everybody out without being detected will give you the most XP. It's bullshit, because sneaking past everybody without taking them out is obviously way 1337er, but there it is.

It's also way way easier and faster to just sneak by everyone.

Taking out everyone while remaining completely unseen and undetected is way 1337er :D

gogbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By gogbot

Well this is disappointing part of the game , 
    I had ghost and smooth operator most of the Game. But i also knocked out every guard i came across , hacked every terminal. 
    You don't have to avoid guard to get them.

There should better incentive for avoiding guards all together , right now avoiding means you loose out on loads of Xp(especially if you go for take-downs) as well hacking Xp from terminals that the guards are usually patrolling.

However it is faster , to get through sections. There should have been some sort of time bonus to make up for all that lost XP.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog

How much more XP you get if you use a take-down instead of... you know, just shoot them? I'm going Adaptive style so when situation calls for it, I have to down them the old fashioned way. Also, are there differences in XP between lethal and nonlethal methods?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

@valrog said:

How much more XP you get if you use a take-down instead of... you know, just shoot them? I'm going Adaptive style so when situation calls for it, I have to down them the old fashioned way. Also, are there differences in XP between lethal and non-lethal methods?
    There are several layers of XP that are stacked on top of each other (takdown = melee):
    basic kill is 10
    non lethal bonus is 20
    takedown adds 20
    headshot adds 10
    double takedown adds 25

So a normal kill is 10
    A lethal takedown is 30
    A non lethel takedown is 50
    A hedshot kill is 20
    A non lethal headshot (dart) is 40
    A double non lethal takedown is 125
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog
    @Tennmuerti: So performing nonlethal takedowns is awards you with more XP than killing them. Can they wake up after a while? If not, I don't really see a difference between the two (Except for the imbalance in XP).

And by the way... I forgot what I was about to ask.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

@valrog: Their buddies can wake them up. This is not much of an issue at the start of the game, but later on as groups get bigger and bigger it becomes a significant factor.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog
    @Tennmuerti: Oh. That's awesome, then. And I'm glad that they fixed the issue with dragging bodies with your weapon out. Really enjoying this game, I didn't expect it to be this good.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

I suck at being sneaky. I don't understand how anybody plays like this. And the worst thing is, is if you ever get caught, you're always surrounded by like three dudes.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vinny_Says

absolutely

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I just get out my laser-silenced-handgun and headshot all day every day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.