Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

First Deus Ex:HR Review

• 110 results
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By DystopiaX

@TerraMantis said:

@wasteguru said:
    @UnrealDP said:

Eh, i like PC Gamer, don't get me wrong, but they give scores away pretty easy. DA2 got a 94 while Duke Nukem Forever straight up got an 80 which i just can't agree with. Sure we all have our opinions, but an 80 (4 stars) for Duke Nukem?

I like Dragon Age II a lot (I'm actually doing another playthough right now), but even I think a 94 is a bit much. That game does have its share of problems. As for the Duke Nukem score, I don't know who in their right mind would in all seriousness give that game an 80 but I don't want to meet them.
    I was going to say in here....well they gave DA2 a 94....soooooo, yeah. As you can see from a bias stand even in favor of DA2 like user wasteguru doesn't even believe DA2 deserves such high praise. 94....for dragon age 2...seriously? POINT 6 from being PERFECT!?! Really? I tried to play through DA2 two times and i have to say that the first time i found myself being force just to finish and the second time on the PC i couldn't even muster the fortitude...or it was perhaps do to the lack of having masochistic tendencies because i could not torture myself any longer. PC gamer sounds like they're a bunch of children that are easily excited by the first toy that they pass by in the toy section aisles. I am looking very forward to Deus Ex, but i think i'll wait and see what the adults have to say about it.

PCG US gave da2 a 94, not PCG UK. different staff and publications. One is usually trustworthy, the other is not.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By DystopiaX

@niamahai said:

anybody saw Gamespot's "Now Playing" video feature for DE:HR?

http://asia.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_deus_ex_human_revolution20110805

after playing AP, I can see where the comparisons are coming from. Rest assured, the vid above shows you that it does everything (stealth/shooting dudes in the face) waaaaay better.

I don't like how energy is handled though. I would prefer the energy to charge all the way instead of "only charges 1 block".

I am cautiously optimistic about DE, I get a feeling its gonna live/die by how *good* the story will be. Watching that 20min playthrough I get why Patrick said "the problem with HR is that it plays like DE1".

alot of the gameplay stuff seems to be done to not piss off old deus ex fans. The inventory "tetris" system, the continued need for consumables, etc., all seem to be a bid to keep this as "old school" as possible, while updating the shit that basically everyone at this point agrees should be updated, like graphics/UI and stuff like that.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By vitor

@niamahai said:

http://asia.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_deus_ex_human_revolution20110805

after playing AP, I can see where the comparisons are coming from. Rest assured, the vid above shows you that it does everything (stealth/shooting dudes in the face) waaaaay better.

I don't like how energy is handled though. I would prefer the energy to charge all the way instead of "only charges 1 block".

I am cautiously optimistic about DE, I get a feeling its gonna live/die by how *good* the story will be. Watching that 20min playthrough I get why Patrick said "the problem with HR is that it plays like DE1".

The recharging battery system pretty much broke Stealth for me in the beta a few weeks back. Way too much waiting around for it to recharge painfully slowly. After games like SC: Conviction, Batman and even Crysis 1 + 2, the stealth system seems way less predatory and more of the old school hide and wait sort of method which I detest. Shame, as I was trying to sneak past all enemies with as little gunplay as possible and this made it almost impossible to do so without a large degree of patience.

This combined with the 1 energy bar need for melee attacks makes sneaking around with cloak really tough. And, even in areas where you can time it well so cloak isn't needed, I always felt like I was fighting the game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Vitor said:

The recharging battery system pretty much broke Stealth for me in the beta a few weeks back. Way too much waiting around for it to recharge painfully slowly. After games like SC: Conviction, Batman and even Crysis 1 + 2, the stealth system seems way less predatory and more of the old school hide and wait sort of method which I detest. Shame, as I was trying to sneak past all enemies with as little gunplay as possible and this made it almost impossible to do so without a large degree of patience.

This combined with the 1 energy bar need for melee attacks makes sneaking around with cloak really tough. And, even in areas where you can time it well so cloak isn't needed, I always felt like I was fighting the game.

You really don't need to rely on the Stealth mechanic to sneak at all. The entire demo can be done with 0 alerts and kills, never having used the Stealth ability. It's not even that hard to do.
    It's a convinience, not a necessity.
    And if you are using your energy on Stealth then it's better to use dart rifle or stun gun to take dudes out silently since they don't use your energy.

@DystopiaX said:

alot of the gameplay stuff seems to be done to not piss off old deus ex fans. The inventory "tetris" system, the continued need for consumables, etc., all seem to be a bid to keep this as "old school" as possible, while updating the shit that basically everyone at this point agrees should be updated, like graphics/UI and stuff like that.
    I'd say it paid off. Considering the old guard was spreading bile all over before the leak, and now they are hyping the game up.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By dragonzord

@Vitor said:

@niamahai said:

Good. Crysis 1, 2, conviction, and Batman are NOT stealth games.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By vitor

@Tennmuerti said:

@Vitor said:

You really don't need to rely on the Stealth mechanic to sneak at all. The entire demo can be done with 0 alerts and kills, never having used the Stealth ability. It's not even that hard to do.
    It's a convinience, not a necessity.
    And if you are using your energy on Stealth then it's better to use dart rifle or stun gun to take dudes out silently since they don't use your energy.

I don't like using the dart rifle or stun gun - want to get a clean entry into most of the facilities just for the satisfaction. And, there were points were I would obsessively quick save and reload just to check if I could bypass cloak and sneak through normally and found myself unable to do so with at least 1 person in the room having a line of sight on me. Might have been more ways around that I didn't notice but I didn't always feel I could just sneak around normally. Will give it another shot when it comes out though, now that I already understand all the systems.

@zoner said:

Good. Crysis 1, 2, conviction, and Batman are NOT stealth games.

No, but I prefer their takes on stealth to the old trial and error, wait and hide approach of last generation's splinter cells. This felt like a weird mid-point between those.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Vitor:

Give it a try for funzies :)

In one of my playthroughts of the demo, I only got Stealth at the big mech, but did that entire area and the ones after without needing to use it, one exception was the 2 neutral dudes I wanted to knock out without being detected, but they can be skipped completely.
    For reference: my hacking lvl and hacking stealth were maxed, had double takedown (very useful), turret hack, persuaion, and that's it for important augs.
    There are many many alternative routes and hidden paths. Watching for guard line of sight and patrol routes is of 100% importance.
    Also if you really explore every nook and cranny and try to do everything it's possible to get shitloads of points in the demo, which helps.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By KestrelPi
    @Tennmuerti

Heh, here's the deal. I was in a bit of a hurry and reading on my phone, I accidentally clicked into an old review of Invisible War. I skimmed through it, but those couple of things jumped out at me as bizarre... which of course they were, because I was looking at the wrong game.  Hah.
    Ascalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Ascalon

This is good to hear. I am a bit skeptical about reviews for this game, however. It's so highly dependent on how you play through the game. It's not exactly a reviewer friendly title. 

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By ChaosDent

@Ascalon said:

This is good to hear. I am a bit skeptical about reviews for this game, however. It's so highly dependent on how you play through the game. It's not exactly a reviewer friendly title.

I would disagree based on my time with the leak. There is certainly a huge amount of variability in how you choose to approach the game, but all of the options presented are polished and fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.