Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Localization killed the immersion ... star

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By the_red_mage

Okay I know I am part of the "vast" minority of people in Europe and especially Germany who are able to actually talk and communicate in English ... right? WRONG! People learn English in our schools. They learn English because it is a common language. A language people are able to speak all over the world.  

So now to my problem (this is kinda becoming a rant I guess *sigh*) LOCALI-F***ING-ZATION. I found out today that Deus Ex - Human Revolution will not hit the shelves with the original audio on disk and that Square Enix decided to completely localize the game. This is not only the case for Germany this is the case for nearly every country in Europe. I understand that, although I have stated that a big part of the European population SHOULD be able to comprehend English dialogue, some people are glad to come home after a stressful day and do not struggle with a foreign language while trying to relax etc. Those people ... okay I understand that. I will not try to come up with some bulls*** elitist talk about how they "should learn English those damn n00bs" etc. My problem is that localization has (in my opinion) never EVER been kind to a games immersion.

I experienced this previously on (for example) Mass Effect 2 where Sheppard’s German voice made me turn of my speakers because I just could not stand how stupid everything sounded. Yes I've played Mass Effect 2 without ANY sound after the first 30 minutes of the game. I turned it on when one of my friends or my girlfriend where visiting me but otherwise I played through this 40 hour long game with its audio turned off because it immediately killed any immersion. This is somehow a quality thing when it comes to voice acting and also a translation thing that i simply cannot endure i don’t know why.

And now after thinking about cancelling my pre-order for Deus ex - HR I kinda hope that I will not play through another game in complete silence.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By the_red_mage

Okay I know I am part of the "vast" minority of people in Europe and especially Germany who are able to actually talk and communicate in English ... right? WRONG! People learn English in our schools. They learn English because it is a common language. A language people are able to speak all over the world.  

So now to my problem (this is kinda becoming a rant I guess *sigh*) LOCALI-F***ING-ZATION. I found out today that Deus Ex - Human Revolution will not hit the shelves with the original audio on disk and that Square Enix decided to completely localize the game. This is not only the case for Germany this is the case for nearly every country in Europe. I understand that, although I have stated that a big part of the European population SHOULD be able to comprehend English dialogue, some people are glad to come home after a stressful day and do not struggle with a foreign language while trying to relax etc. Those people ... okay I understand that. I will not try to come up with some bulls*** elitist talk about how they "should learn English those damn n00bs" etc. My problem is that localization has (in my opinion) never EVER been kind to a games immersion.

I experienced this previously on (for example) Mass Effect 2 where Sheppard’s German voice made me turn of my speakers because I just could not stand how stupid everything sounded. Yes I've played Mass Effect 2 without ANY sound after the first 30 minutes of the game. I turned it on when one of my friends or my girlfriend where visiting me but otherwise I played through this 40 hour long game with its audio turned off because it immediately killed any immersion. This is somehow a quality thing when it comes to voice acting and also a translation thing that i simply cannot endure i don’t know why.

And now after thinking about cancelling my pre-order for Deus ex - HR I kinda hope that I will not play through another game in complete silence.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mosdl

I wish more German-developed games came with the original VO, especially adventure games. English localizations usually are quite cheap.

How about steam, does it allow you to get the English version?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SlashDance

Buy it on PC or PS3. But yeah it's always annoying when it happens. Some games have english VO as free dlc so disc space is not really enough of an excuse.

Get ready to be pissed when Skyrim comes out...

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Always like me some original VOs. Knowledge of whatever language it may be or not.

... Though I don't really know the quality of German voice acting, so I can't honestly say I understand your pain.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

I kinda know what you mean. In Stalker, the English localization is god awful, even though that totally adds to its charm. For a game built around atmosphere and immersion, having some terrible voice actor shout "Howdy ho!" every few minutes just kills it. So glad it's easy to replace the localized voices with the originals in that game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

For a second I thought this was going to be a complaint about it being localized from Canadian to American. I was wrong! 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

Yeah, localization in Poland sucks too. Although it's not that terrible since not that many games or movies are dubbed, and if they are you're usually given the option to choose. As far as I'm concerned though everything in German, from movies to video games, is localized. Man oh man did I have a laugh when I heard The Dark Knight's Joker speaking German when I saw the trailer on German TV 3 years ago ^_^

I remember how surprised I was when it turned out that there was no option to change the language to English in my Polish copy of StarCraft II. I admit, I was pretty pissed when I had to download the whole 7gb client again from Blizzard's servers (with original audio this time), and when it then turned out that that client didn't properly want to install for some reason, I was enraged. I had to download the client again, only this time it was a torrent. Fortunately everything worked out great in the end ^_^

Kaibar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kaibar

I totally know what you're talking about. When I bought my copy of Mass Effect 2 a while back and then realized it was German only, I sold it back to amazon and ordered a copy from GB. I'm glad I did, since the voice acting is an integral part of every story-driven game.

One more reason to buy Deus Ex for Pc I guess.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I don't understand why story based, dialogue heavy games can't just have a language select.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

Well , maybe your are in luck , aparently most reviwers are complaining about the lack of quality in VO on the game , mayhaps the german version has better VO ... granted it may not be the case .... but hope dies last no?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    I don't understand why story based, dialogue heavy games can't just have a language select.
    It's usually a factor of lack of disk space. At least on 360. All that audio takes up a lot of space. 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    It's usually a factor of lack of disk space. At least on 360. All that audio takes up a lot of space. 
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense for the 360 and why do it for PS3 and PC at that point.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Commisar123

@MooseyMcMan said:

For a second I thought this was going to be a complaint about it being localized from Canadian to American. I was wrong!

yeah i love listening to the original canadian voice acting much better then the horrible American dubs

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By infininja

From the U.S. Steam store:

Title: Deus Ex: Human Revolution™
    Genre:Action, RPGDeveloper:Eidos MontrealPublisher:SQUARE ENIXRelease Date: Aug 23, 2011
    Languages:English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish

It's not on disc, but it's a Steamworks game, so just select your language in Steam (right click game title -> properties -> language -> English) and download the files there.

Oh, sorry, I thought you stated you were playing the PC version. I'm not sure where you're playing it. Good luck.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

@Commisar123 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

yeah i love listening to the original canadian voice acting much better then the horrible American dubs

Don't take away my "Eh"!

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By bkbroiler

Word. I always like to watch movies, play games, or experience anything else that uses audio in the language it was created in. Sucks they're taking that option away from you over in Europe.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Brendan said:

@Commisar123 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Don't take away my "Eh"!

No, no, you've got it all wrong! I meant stuff like changing an item named "Maple Syrup" to "Health Pack." Duh! 
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BBQBram

Hell this better not have Dutch VO over here. I couldn't think of a stupider thing. This also severely pissed me off downloading Beyond Good & Evil for XBLA only to realize I'm stuck with Dutch voices. Fuck the publishers that think they are doing everyone a favor with this shit, I assure you 99% of people are intelligent enough to understand English and want to play the original goddamn game!

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_red_mage
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    Had to re-read this two times then lul'd :D
    the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_red_mage
    @BBQBram: I hope that it comes out with the original audio at your place. About the 99% thing ... meh i don't know it seems like a lot of people actualy prefer localized versions. A friend of mine is glad that it is completeley localized. 

I would like some sort of post-launch downloadable original audio track but this will never happen as the hosting of dlc always costs money.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By valrog

It's times like these that I'm grateful that we don't have any localization here. They only do it to animated films, but you can see them in original as well, so it's all good. For now.

But yeah, I despise localization. Saw The Fresh Prince of Bel Air on a German channel once... Never again.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BBQBram

@the_red_mage: Let me restate that. Dubs are dumb. It's not the original product or even piece of art without the original VO direction. I'm not hating on people who don't speak English (which in The Netherlands would be about as stupid as not picking up on Dutch along the way since they're about as prevalent in the media), just publishers not realizing a option for both would be nice. I don't like being catered a version deemed suitable for me like I need to strain my brain on the original native language.

Oh and if you really don't understand English, subs > dubs for Christ's sake.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By the_red_mage
    @valrog: Animated movies (I assume you mean asian ones) are suprisingly well localized in Germany most of the time ... movies tend to suck but are at least bearable ... videogames on the other hand are suck pure SUCK.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Commisar123

@MooseyMcMan said:

The real problem is how the localization team had to replace all the maple syrup and hockey related themes with this cyberpunk stuff.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainObvious

@imsh_pl said:

Yeah, localization in Poland sucks too. Although it's not that terrible since not that many games or movies are dubbed, and if they are you're usually given the option to choose. As far as I'm concerned though everything in German, from movies to video games, is localized. Man oh man did I have a laugh when I heard The Dark Knight's Joker speaking German when I saw the trailer on German TV 3 years ago ^_^ I remember how surprised I was when it turned out that there was no option to change the language to English in my Polish copy of StarCraft II. I admit, I was pretty pissed when I had to download the whole 7gb client again from Blizzard's servers (with original audio this time), and when it then turned out that that client didn't properly want to install for some reason, I was enraged. I had to download the client again, only this time it was a torrent. Fortunately everything worked out great in the end ^_^

But Human Revolution isn't localized in Poland, right?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By imsh_pl
    @CaptainObvious: I'm not sure, although I don't think it is. But I was just referring to the overall quality of the localizations here.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Dingofighter

I love that games aren't being localized in swedish.

Just the fact that Saint's Row 2 had swedish text was ridiculous, but if they also would have talked swedish, then I don't think I would have been able to play that game...

Also, I hate Germans for dubbing everything on TV... Why not just have subtitles, damn it!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By CaLe

Buy from Amazon.co.uk

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog
    @the_red_mage said:
    @valrog: Animated movies (I assume you mean asian ones) are suprisingly well localized in Germany most of the time ... movies tend to suck but are at least bearable ... videogames on the other hand are suck pure SUCK.
    I was referring to the animated films like Ice Age and the likes, that are in cinema. Yeah, we have some other localized cartoons, but I never watched them so I can't really tell. But yeah, I watched a lot of asian animated series on German TV Channels, and I was okay with it, but everything other than that... No, just no.
    Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By Danteveli
    @SethPhotopoulos: @SethPhotopoulos said:
    Regional deals. Sometimes there is price diference for certain regions. For example Deus Ex is like 30$ in Russia ( the prices I have seen on net) but its only that language.  Plus not always you can fit both versions or language option is hidden ( it was like that with Infamous in Europe - you had all version on blu ray but it was locked).
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Have you ever heard of EYE: Divine Cybermancy?   I think they're speaking
    German in that game, though it might be gibberish. :)

Kaibar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kaibar

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

Have you ever heard of EYE: Divine Cybermancy? I think they're speaking German in that game, though it might be gibberish. :)

I don't know what it is, but it's definately not German. What language would a space viking speak?

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the_red_mage
    @Kaibar said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

Have you ever heard of EYE: Divine Cybermancy? I think they're speaking German in that game, though it might be gibberish. :)

I don't know what it is, but it's definately not German. What language would a space viking speak?

Scandinavian? Death Metal? I don't know.
    RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RTSlord

im gonna look up german commander shepard right now....and wow, thats terrible. im glad i live in an english-speaking country

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @the_red_mage said:
    @Kaibar said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

Scandinavian? Death Metal? I don't know.
    If I can't understand it, I call it Gibberish, but that goes for
    just about everything non-English. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.