Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil's Third

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 04, 2015

An action game by Valhalla Game Studios, headed by ex-Tecmo producer Tomonobu Itagaki. It was published by Nintendo as a Wii U exclusive.

Itagaki's Devil's Third Confirmed August 28 in UK

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By MEATBALL

So, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because a bunch of the reaction to this video I've seen has been "this still looks terrible", but I thought the game actually looked a lot better in this video. This is after thinking the game looked absolutely horrible when footage hit at last year's E3.

Going by this video I'm actually kind of interested in the game now, but maybe I'm the only one and I should stop taking my crazy pills. :P

Hopefully we see a bunch more of it at E3 and we can get a better idea for if it's just terrible or if it looks okay/good.

Update: Nintendo UK just randomly announced that Devil's Third would be released in the UK (and presumably the rest of Europe/PAL land) on August 28

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Yeah, still doesn't look great, but it does seem a lot better than that stank ass garbage they showed us last time. Maybe I'm also taking crazy pills though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I was thinkin this was nothing like that live action trailer from last year's E3, but then I realized I was mixing this up with Let It Die. Weird.

This looks alright. Doesn't seem particularly interesting visually, and I really hate it when third-person games switch to first-person when you aim down the sights, but the melee action looks pretty good. Story seems kinda bonkers from the bits of English I could pick up and the footage they showed.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It definitely looks better, but the footage from E3 2014 really was absolutely abysmal though:

Loading Video...

So, it's not hard being better than that.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

From what little they show in that video it looks to be at least solid, and potentially excellent (depending on enemy and level design, which are hard to judge from so little footage). The combat system seems good -- among systems that go for an even mix of shooting and close combat, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be better than any before it -- and the graphics look perfectly all right. Good animations and the environments seem acceptable (the church at 1:51 even looks genuinely cool). Definitely looking forward to this.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm just not sold on the shooting, the combat in NG1 and 2 was so good that I will keep an open mind about this. Graphics look alright for Wii U, as long as it runs at a high and smooth frame rate it's fine with me.

Also the main charecter looked dumb the first time they showed him, I can confirm that he still looks super dumb today. Looks like a created character from Saints Row and I don't know if that is great or garbage.....

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The one thing this game has done for me is solidify my thoughts that Itagaki wasn't the soul reason NG1 and 2 were amazing games like a lot of people claim he was, and that people unessecarily gave Team Ninja a lot of flak for the misteps that they made with NG3.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I was convinced that, that game was going to be absolute garbage, not so much anymore. Good for them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

It definitely looks much better than what they showed at last years E3. It definitely looks like it has something going for it with the sliding, melee and gun combat. I still don't think it looks great or anything, but I'm gonna keep an open mind. It would be cool if it was great though.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks alright. Kinda looks like a wannabe Platinum game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Looks pretty good to me. Need to feel how it controls.

@baronsamedi said:

The one thing this game has done for me is solidify my thoughts that Itagaki wasn't the soul reason NG1 and 2 were amazing games like a lot of people claim he was, and that people unessecarily gave Team Ninja a lot of flak for the misteps that they made with NG3.

But NG3 was just awful so I don't see the point? They deserve flak regardless. It was a joke compared to the first two (and 2 was pretty disappointing to me).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@artisanbreads: If 2 was disappointing to you you're kind've an exception to what I was saying. My point was more people act as if Itagaki was the soul reason that NG1 and 2 were good. Once NG3 dropped (which it was pretty bad I agree) people started retroactively hating Team Ninja and pretending that they had no input on what made the previous games good and that it was all Itagaki. Razors Edge still was less interesting than the others but it was a solid game with the changes they made. I'm just hoping they're still making NG games more than anything the character action genre really needs to stick around.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@baronsamedi: I don't agree any one man can be the reason a big game is good, so I don't really see that. But regardless 3 was crap so that was all I was saying. I don't think we can ever find out just why, but I think Itagaki at least kept a proper direction on Ninja Gaiden given once he left and others took the helm they made such poor decisions on basic concepts. 2 was fun, I just think it made missteps and didn't live up to 1, but you have to understand I think 1 is one of the best action games ever made.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@baronsamedi: I don't agree any one man can be the reason a big game is good, so I don't really see that. But regardless 3 was crap so that was all I was saying. I don't think we can ever find out just why, but I think Itagaki at least kept a proper direction on Ninja Gaiden given once he left and others took the helm they made such poor decisions on basic concepts. 2 was fun, I just think it made missteps and didn't live up to 1, but you have to understand I think 1 is one of the best action games ever made.

Have you tried Razor's Edge? I personally feel it's on par with Black as the best game in the series.

Anyway, yeah this looks mechanically alright, but that main character is so terrible I can't even fathom playing it because of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.