Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Any sense in waiting for a price drop?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By BBAlpert

Whenever possible, I hold off on buying new releases on the chance that the price drops or significant changes/fixes are made. As far as pricing goes, Blizzard seems to be pretty resistant to offering discounts (SC2 is still $60 and the SC/D2 battle chests are are still going for $20). I'm fairly certain that I'm going to end up getting Diablo 3 at some point, and it probably won't go below $60 within the next several years, is there any reason not to just get it now?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

Its not going to drop for a while. I would imagine you would be waiting a long time.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Not with Blizzard games. These things tend to stay expensive for long after the prices should have dropped. If you're going to spend $60 on the game at all, might as well do it now.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

I wouldn't be surprised if this game is still $60 next year. However, there might be some sort of deal with the WOW expansion coming this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The way I see it, there's no point in waiting. As long as you know you'd get it sooner or later and buying it won't hurt you financially, go for it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx

A lot of people keep asking this.

Blizzard does not drop prices on their games for years. If you want to wait until 2020 then sure, wait for a price drop haha =)

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bongchilla

Nope, get it now. You answered your own question, SC2 has been out almost 2 years and its still 60. If you really want it of course.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By BBAlpert

Alright, that's what I figured. The only other reason I could see for holding off a little while would be waiting for any game breaking bugs to get patched (like with Skyrim), but I haven't heard too much about D3 on that front. Aside from its embarrassing launch day server woes, at least.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TentPole

Like you said if you are waiting for a price drop then don't. Blizzard games (as well as most first party Nintendo games) take years for a price drop. That does not mean there aren't other reasons to wait but if you know you are going to want to play it sometime this year then there is no reason to wait.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BionicRadd

the warcraft 3 battle chest was still 40 bucks when I was looking at it, last year. While I think it's cheaper now, that game has been out for, what? 10 years? As many have said, if you want D3, just buy it, you aren't going to find a deal anytime soon.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

If anything you should just wait until they finish with the updates to the classes. It would kind of suck starting a character and then having him changed from an update. I am waiting until my next PC and by then the updates will probs be finished, to the main game at least. I can foresee a lot of expansions for D3.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By zor

SC2 is still 60 on their site, and it came out about 2 years ago (i think), so no, no point in waiting if you want to get it. Although, Amazon has it for less... so you might want to shop around first, but i think most of the deals happen before it came out.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BionicRadd

@xyzygy said:

If anything you should just wait until they finish with the updates to the classes. It would kind of suck starting a character and then having him changed from an update. I am waiting until my next PC and by then the updates will probs be finished, to the main game at least. I can foresee a lot of expansions for D3.

are you kidding? They were still tweaking classes in D2 for years after LoD came out. Waiting for them to "finish the classes" basically means never buying the game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous

Blizzard doesn't drop prices. 

Also, this: 

@BionicRadd said:

@xyzygy said:

are you kidding? They were still tweaking classes in D2 for years after LoD came out. Waiting for them to "finish the classes" basically means never buying the game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dude. Starcraft II is still $60. It's not dropping anytime soon.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Jackel2072

6.3 million copies sold in a week. no i dont think a price drop will come for some time. 

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By DoctorWelch

I honestly dont think it will drop even in the next year, so if youre gonna get it, you might as well get it now.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By pr1mus

Unless you are willing to wait until the holidays at the end of the year where they sometimes have 50% off deals than no. If you do wait until then keep an eye on amazon which will surely have it for less occasionally. But as far as a permanant price drop, you said it yourself, SC2 is still 60$ two years later.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

@BionicRadd said:

@xyzygy said:

Wow really? had no idea. I was just going by regular game updates. I played D2 from about 2001-2003 and don't remember any updates or how they were installed. Then again I was playing on a 28.8k connection...

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By PerryVandell

Probably not for a Blizzard game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

you'll have to wait at least a year before you see a price drop. Starcraft 2 sort of had a price drop not too long ago but still sells for like 50$

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chrissedoff

This game will still be $60 in 2014

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@chrissedoff said:

This game will still be $60 in 2014

this game will be $60 in 2025.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TentPole

@xyzygy said:

@BionicRadd said:

@xyzygy said:

Wow really? had no idea. I was just going by regular game updates. I played D2 from about 2001-2003 and don't remember any updates or how they were installed. Then again I was playing on a 28.8k connection...

I know they were still changing things around in 2009 when I last played.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedRoach

@zombie2011 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this game is still $60 next year. However, there might be some sort of deal with the WOW expansion coming this year.

They already made that deal. If you signed up for one year of WoW game time, (same price and monthly payments) you got Diablo 3 for free, as well as quite a few other goodies.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

This game, just like practically all Blizzard games, won't see a price drop for a long time. If you are waiting for a deal, be prepared to wait for a significant amount of time.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Yanngc33

It'll be $60 until Diablo 4. Don't hold your breath

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By buft

@BBAlpert said:

Whenever possible, I hold off on buying new releases on the chance that the price drops or significant changes/fixes are made. As far as pricing goes, Blizzard seems to be pretty resistant to offering discounts (SC2 is still $60 and the SC/D2 battle chests are are still going for $20). I'm fairly certain that I'm going to end up getting Diablo 3 at some point, and it probably won't go below $60 within the next several years, is there any reason not to just get it now?

Ive been waiting for a starcraft price drop, still hasnt happened, i imagine when heart of the swarm comes out i will get it.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@Yanngc33 said:

It'll be $60 until Diablo 4. Don't hold your breath

If there are no expansions for Diablo 3, I'd wager that also.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By fox01313

Considering how often Blizz games come out, it's going to be a while before the price drops to even $40-50, with all the gameplay in it plus all your friends/GB people playing it, there's plenty of time to sink in this gem so might as well get it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to get Diablo 3, might as well get it now.

If you're trying to get your Diablo *fix*, you've got cheaper alternatives out there.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Silver-Streak
    BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BionicRadd

@TentPole said:

@xyzygy said:

@BionicRadd said:

@xyzygy said:

I know they were still changing things around in 2009 when I last played.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Diablo_2_Patch_Notes_1.13

Looks like 1.13c came out in 2010 and did include some class tweaks. Pretty freaking crazy, when you think about it.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By devilzrule27

Who needs official price drops when there is amazon out there. Just wait for one of their sales. It will come eventually.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You can buy Diablo 2 for 20$... So no price drop any time soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.