Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Diablo with Guns?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Not Borderlands 2, rather a topdown dualstick shooter - with loads of loot, and max destructible environments. Kinda like Rambo First Blood Part II, just not on the C64. Bioware only needs to retool the upcoming C&C Generals 2 for such a thing - how about it EA?

Kinda bummed about how Diablo 3 forces my upstart Barbarian more and more into defensive builds, because survival is about skill synergy and stats, rather than movement and active blocking/dodging - and I always think how much better Diablo 3 could be, with movement being independent of aim, dualstick shooter style. Instantly made me think of Commando, but that's an auto-scroller - which made me think of Rambo.

I can scarcely imagine how awesome a game following a modernized C64's Rambo-template would be, if you'd mix in some Diablo-style loot festivities. Anyways - watch the longplay and imagine a world, where just that happens! The imminent rambofication of Diablo! Golden AK-47! Epic Blue Light!

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

@Subject2Change:

Does Hellgate London look like a topdown dualstick shooter to you?

Also - where's Rambo gonna fit into Hellgate?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli

Thinking about it some more... a topdown dualstick shooter with Diablo-style loot generation... set in the Warhammer 40k universe... developed by Relic Entertainment...

INSTANT WIN

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

One of the first powers Demon Hunter gets is You Have A Machine Gun.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By doobie

TOO HUMAN !!!??!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

@Seppli: YOU are forcing yourself into a defensive Barbarian build, not Diablo III. Yes, you need to get gear with lots of armor and lots of "resist to all", but that does not mean you can't stack a shitload of strength with your shitload of vitality, wield a two-hander, and use life steal/life on hit. You could also use a ton of crit and crit damage instead, mix it up with some hardcore thorns, and go with a straight DPS class that survives everything.

There are tons of viable build possibilities (there's a guy on the D3 forums that has completed Inferno using Thorns as his PRIMARY form of DPS). If you are feeling forced into something, it's because you aren't thinking outside of the box yourself on the build possibilities and instead are falling into the cookie cutter format.

Personally, I'm running a defensive sword and board tank with a focus on thorns over life regen. That is solely because it's the role I play in EVERY RPG. It's the role that I like. I take all the aggro, and I take all the damage. Meanwhile, everyone around me fucks everything up and we loot our way to happiness.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By 1337W422102
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

A lot of my Demon Hunter's abilities make is sound like she's shooting guns. You get a nice BRAKKA BRAKKA sound during Rapid Fire.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrCandleguy

@Seppli said:

Thinking about it some more... a topdown dualstick shooter with Diablo-style loot generation... set in the Warhammer 40k universe... developed by Relic Entertainment...

INSTANT WIN

I would buy this is less than a heart beat.

You know what i'm thinking?

KICKSTARTER THIS MOTHERFUCKER.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TentPole
    Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Haruko
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Play a wizard. Or demon hunter.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Haruko
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Azteck

... Torchlight 2? I don't know why you can't use the Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 if you're so desperate

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli

@Azteck: @Haruko: @Green_Incarnate: @Haruko: @TentPole: @StarvingGamer: @1337W422102: @Brodehouse: @Subject2Change:

The most important point being 'Dualstick Topdown Shooter'-like controls - as in independent movement and aim. None of the examples you guys mention does that.

Bastion might be Dualstick Shooter like? Dunno. Yet need to get around to it - though it's definitely not with big guns and explosions and destructible environments.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azteck

Are you looking for modern games or do all eras go for you

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Haruko said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/alien-syndrome/61-1143/

Here you go its DIablo with guns...its also friggin terrible.

Seconding Too Human despite its glaring flaws I still love it so.

At least i know now that there are at least two people in the world who enjoyed Too Human despite its flaws.

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seastalk

I guess the Jagged Alliance series could be considered to be Diablo-esque in nature.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VierasTalo
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By 1337W422102
    @Seppli said:

@Azteck: @Haruko: @Green_Incarnate: @Haruko: @TentPole: @StarvingGamer: @1337W422102: @Brodehouse: @Subject2Change:

The most important point being 'Dualstick Topdown Shooter'-like controls - as in independent movement and aim. None of the examples you guys mention does that.

Bastion might be Dualstick Shooter like? Dunno. Yet need to get around to it - though it's definitely not with big guns and explosions and destructible environments.

I'm a PC gamer so I'm not really sure what a dual-stick shooter is, but Zax fits the description you gave.  It's been described as "Quake meets Diablo."  Move with WASD, aim/shoot with the mouse.  There isn't really loot to speak of, though.  You craft new weapons and items, but that's pretty much it.  No idea where you'd still be able to find the game any more, other than maybe ebay these days.  It wasn't that good, either, but I dug the Diablo-with-shooting-esque feel.

You might like Abuse and/or ARES: Extinction Agenda, but those are sidescrollers and not top down.  ARES has plenty of action and some kind of crafting/update system, if I remember correctly.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TentPole

@Seppli said:

You know what. Fuck you if you aren't even going to take the time to look at the games. All the games I mentioned have you moving with wasd and aiming with the mouse. You don't get more independent movement and aim than that. And I know some of these others have it as well.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By penguindust

Torchlight's Vanquisher class uses guns and projectile weapons. Also, I haven't played it but Alien Shooter 2 is on GOG.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

@TentPole said:

@Seppli said:

You know what. Fuck you if you aren't even going to take the time to look at the games. All the games I mentioned have you moving with wasd and aiming with the mouse. You don't get more independent movement and aim than that. And I know some of these others have it as well.

How the fuck would I know that glancing at the barebones wiki entry on GB. Looked like the typical point 'n click fare to me. Thanks for mentioning games that already do exist though. I wasn't really looking to play something that already is, I rather looked for something awesome to come. Sorry if my quick look at the wiki page and lack of deeper interest did offend you. Truely.

Just wanted to jog your imagination.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TentPole

@Seppli: Nobody cares about a game you want when there are already a ton of examples of this magical game you came up with in your head.

Except that runic game. That would be cool.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Toxeia

@Seppli said:

Ugh, I got this game that I sure do hate. Someone tell me what to play instead. No, I meant something that doesn't exist yet you assholes.

Awesome thread.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By subject2change

Diablo with Guns is HELLGATE LONDON. A top down dual joystick shooter has nothing to do with Diablo. Diablo is a click around top down game, add in Guns and you have Hellgate London; who I think were some of the D1 guys.

lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lmenzol

@Brodehouse said:

One of the first powers Demon Hunter gets is You Have A Machine Gun.

this

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Hector
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli

@Hector said:

No Caption Provided

@Seppli said:

INSTANT WIN

This maybe?

Warhammer 40K: Kill Team?

Hahaha - amazingly close, and there's an awesome quicklook too. Didn't know about this.

Now just imagine that with much higher production values, larger scope, deep class mechanics and progression system, and a tonne of loot - and multiple NG+ difficulties with randomly generated content à la Diablo.

Dualstick shooter & Diablo depth and loot would go amazingly together. It'd blow that point and click shit out of the water no doubt. Makes me wonder why it's never been done for reals before (outside of obscure Ukranian games and such).

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By fox01313

Just play something other than the barbarian. Silly question.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli

@Toxeia said:

@Seppli said:

Ugh, I got this game that I sure do hate. Someone tell me what to play instead. No, I meant something that doesn't exist yet you assholes.

Awesome thread.

While that's hilarious paraphrasing, I'll never understand how one isn't allowed to hate an aspect of a game, despite loving it to bits...

Love breeds hate. It's the most natural pairing in emotions. They belong together. Oh well - I guess few care as much as I do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.