Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

My Interview W/Rafael Colantonio, co-creative director Dishonored

warcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By warcrow

Guys! :) I hope you don't mind me sharing this. I originally posted this in a sub-thread, but figured some others might find this interested.

I interviewed Rafael Colantonio, co-creative director on Dishonored about: Non-lethal gameplay, Analog AI, Viktor Antonov, if Dishonored has multiple endings and a leveling system, targeting limbs, Neo-Victorian Steampunk, possessing a fish and sliding under tables.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/26640168745/interview-rafael-colantonio-dishonored

It seems to me designing the controls for a game like Dishonored would be incredibly difficult. On one hand you want to make the game accessible to those who are new to the genre and interested in the game. On the other hand you have the core audience who’ve been playing these types of games for a very long time, and you certainly don’t want them to feel like they’re making unnecessary concessions. How on Earth are you guys approaching this?

Oh that’s a very very smart and insightful question, and it lies at the heart of our challenge really. The game has a lot of depth and it’s very hardcore by nature, but at the same time we don’t want it to be inaccessible. So we’re constantly putting a lot of effort into making sure the mechanics [are playable] for anyone, without losing the depth this type of game needs. You know, depth and accessibility are not enemies. It is possible to make games that have depth and are accessible. What you don’t want is complexity. So there’s a lot of effort on our part to make the right tutorial and expose the right options to the player at all times.

So yes, to answer the question, it’s a very difficult challenge and we don’t believe we’re betraying the hardcore while bringing it to the masses.

Hope you like it!

Avatar image for hardcorebunni93
    hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By hardcorebunni93

I'm super pumped for this game; it's insane that a developer is making a "neo-Victorian steampunk" stealth game with elements of magic so late in a console cycle. And that's not even mentioning the star-studded artistic direction, voice work, etc. Really glad this game is coming out and it'll be the first day-one purchase I'll make in a very long time. Cheers for the interview!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By falserelic

As you can tell by my giantbomb avatar I'm pretty excited to play this game aswell. It looks like bioshock and dues ex put together. After watching so much gameplay vids such as this.

I got interested in playing the game. I want to feel like a supernatural badass, I want so much power.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By jillsandwich

Does your work of fiction feature an extradimensional entity with malevolent ulterior motives? Then I'm in.

Star Trek, this, whatever, I DON"T GIVE A FUCK.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.