Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divekick

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

Rising to prominence through the American fighting game community, Divekick is an indie fighting game that distills the controls into two simple buttons, requiring clever strategy as players try to score the first hit with their divekick attack!

Anybody else... not really enjoying themselves?

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I feel horrible for even saying this considering the outpouring of love this game has gotten from the GB community, but i've gotta be honest, I just ain't feeling it. Admittedly i'm not a huge fighting game guy (though I am perfectly familiar with community in-jokes) but i'm really getting no sense of enjoyment out of playing this. Maybe part of it has to do with a lack of a Tutorial, meaning I don't really have any idea why i'm failing, but i'm just getting consistently frustrated by the game. The style is fun at first but considering how few lines of dialogue the characters have it wears thin incredibly quickly. Overall it just seems to have dissipated into this tedious, annoying experience. I dunno, I know I sound harsh and I don't mean to, but i'd just like to understand what it is i'm doing wrong or get some confirmation i'm not the only person in the world not loving this game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ghostiet

I'm loving it.

Generally, I don't see how you can't see what you're doing wrong, considering that Divekick, due to its speed and simplicity, is really made for analysing your mistakes on the fly. It's about looking for patterns in what you're doing and trying something new - and since all the tools are under your two fingers at all times, you can apply new strategies momentarily.

Also, why you should give a shit about the community's opinions? It's not like you're shitting on the game or you'll hurt anyone's feelings. And if someone did get hurt, he can fuck right off.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Have you played multiplayer or have you just gone against the AI?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

This game distills fighting games into footsies and mindgames. That is why I like it. If you are losing you could be predictable, jumping at poor times, ie bad spacing. Failing to make good of your punish opportunities.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LackingSaint

@ghostiet said:

I'm loving it.

Generally, I don't see how you can't see what you're doing wrong, considering that Divekick, due to its speed and simplicity, is really made for analysing your mistakes on the fly. It's about looking for patterns in what you're doing and trying something new - and since all the tools are under your two fingers at all times, you can apply new strategies momentarily.

Well right now i'm trying to get through Kung Pao's story and i'm fighting Markman; either I don't dive at him and he just builds meter and then kills me, or I dive at him and he immediately jumps back and then kicks me out of the air. It is a very simple and fast game, hence why it's so annoying when in the blink of an eye the opponent pulls a move that would've been almost impossible to avoid.

Have you played multiplayer or have you just gone against the AI?

Admittedly only played Story so far, was trying to get a handle on the characters before I went Online. Stuck on Kung Pao's story right now.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@lackingsaint: I'm not sure how you expect your criticisms of a competitive fighting game to be taken seriously when all you've been exposed to is limited playtime solely against AI opponents.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AMyggen

Multiplayer is where it's at mate, really enjoying it!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Zeik

This seems like one of the least interesting games to play against AI. The game basically takes out everything but the part that is most heavily influenced by humans.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

I can dig it, game's not gonna be for everyone. However, I'd say to maybe look up some guides for characters and get in on the online scene. Like any fighting game, the Arcade/Story mode is against some potentially cheap AI. It's a whole different animal online.

But again, if you're not feelin' it, no shame in it. Plenty of other stuff to play.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lackingsaint: Here's your problem: it's AI. This is about mind games and you can't really do that to an AI. Do you play on Steam? Grumbellgast, we can play a bit, I'm not good at the game at all, but we can play.

But generally, here's a tip: Kung Pao is a wait-and-see character. Basically, if you act first, most of the time you'll get fucked, because she's slow enough and covers enough of an arc that most characters will be able to respond accordingly, and she can't cut a messed up kick short like Shoals, Dive or Uncle Sensei. Couple that with the fact that Markman is awesome at punishing at close range, because the angle on his kick makes almost every close-range attack right after the opponent lands a headshot, and you basically have to wait for a proper opportunity. Cut distance with short jumps and kicks and jump around in place, don't rush. If he's looking for items, strike, since he's vulnerable and the arc on Kung Pao's kick is basically a headshot in this situation.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@lackingsaint: Here's your problem: it's AI. This is about mind games and you can't really do that to an AI. Do you play on Steam? Grumbellgast, we can play a bit, I'm not good at the game at all, but we can play.

PS3 player unfortunately, but thanks for the offer!

I guess you guys are right, I need to give the game a shot in an Online setting. I'm not in the best of moods today anyway, so I probably jumped the gun on this topic.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@lackingsaint: Good luck! I hope you find yourself enjoying it more as you improve at the game.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This game is like the epitome of the distilled version of what fighting games is all about at its core fundamentals. Spacing, and mindgames. No need to say you suck because you don't know any combos, or can't do the moves. its only two buttons. That is why the game is all about online or at least with another player. Other fighting games might have enjoyable single player for practicing your moves, combos, and learning your character, but in divekick that could be achieved so quickly, that the whole playing against another human player is where its at.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, online is definitely better, but hey, if ya don't like it, ya don't like it. No shame in it.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I had local people to play with Id get into it, but I dont. I have more fun just watching people play it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By zombie2011

I had fun for a while but the novelty ran out pretty quick.

BGFH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BGFH

I'm actually surprised and impressed at the depth Divekick has despite only 2 buttons. I don't have to memorize lots of moves, but figuring out how to fight each character is a challenge in itself. So far I'm having more fun than I thought I would, but I can see where some people might get tired of it more quickly.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Kung Pao is all about baiting out your opponent, or possibly throwing in a blitz attack once in a while to keep them from getting too aggressive. You can't really bait out an AI in a satisfying way. Also, what gem are you using? Kung Pao is slow in the air, so adding to the time spent in the air with a Dive gem makes her even more vulnerable.

The How To in the options describes all the button combos as well as every characters move list and descriptions of the moves.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As a person that enjoys fighting games but doesn't have the willpower to spend hours memorizing moves, I'm totally content with Divekick thus far. Mr. N is a lovable bum and Uncle Sensei still gets a chuckle out of me every time I see 'im.

I'm still a bit mad that I got 5-0'd by a top-ranked Jefailey, though.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By YI_Orange

I'm loving it. I thought it was gonna be a dumb fun game, but it's actually been so much more. I'm not having a laugh out loud time with it, but still having a blast. It's intense, and what I love about fighting games condensed into a beautiful clusterfuck of mind games and surprising depth. Though honestly, just spend some time online, play the same matchups repeatedly, then switch and play another, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll start to understand the matchups and general character behaviors.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By McGhee

I am a fighting game person, or at least I use to be, and I can't say I'm enjoying it that much either. That being said, I've jumped straight into multiplayer, and just started picking random characters. I've obviously mostly been getting my ass kicked. But when I was learning Street Fighter 4, I loved playing that game for hours on end, even when I was getting destroyed. This game I get tired of after fifteen minutes. It sucks that I'm not getting into it (so far) as much as I'd like to.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it at an event a while back and loved it against a buddy. But for the first five minutes today, I didn't think it would have legs at home. Luckily, once I went online and played 25 matches (admittedly, sucking hard) I had a damn good time.

The goal is to get local dollar Divekick games going some day.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, playing against the A.I is pretty boring man, you have to play online to enjoy the game. I wish there were more practice modes and online options, they should do another kickstarter for these.

I just play the story mode to get a jist of the moves, but i'm primarily kick right now anyway. Only character i trully hate is S-Kill, i don't understand his movements at all.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Yeah, I'm kind of with you. The game is okay when you're actually playing against someone, but the story mode is kind of...incredibly terrible? Like, the story consists of really bad exchanges of text dialogue between the two characters that cannot be skipped. Its not funny dialogue either, just block after block of boring text. The opening and closing comics with each character are better but still nothing special. And yeah, it doesn't really explain the oddities of the characters and how they differ. I mean, its a two button game so I guess they felt part of the fun is figuring it out but I find myself just sticking to Dive and Kick after failing miserable as S-Kill.

And the announcer. Ugh, irritating almost immediately. Just so repetitive. I get it, he's doing a bad accent, but it wears thin immediately and there is no way to turn him off. Asked the devs this morning on Twitter and they have no plan to patch that option in either. So, if I'm going to keep playing it I have to keep hearing that borderline racist goofy voice over and over and over, maybe ten times a round or more. Not sure its worth it.

So while I still like the core idea and enjoy playing against other people moreso than the AI, I'm still not quite getting the degree of unabashed love this is getting.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kraznor said:

Yeah, I'm kind of with you. The game is okay when you're actually playing against someone, but the story mode is kind of...incredibly terrible? Like, the story consists of really bad exchanges of text dialogue between the two characters that cannot be skipped. Its not funny dialogue either, just block after block of boring text. The opening and closing comics with each character are better but still nothing special. And yeah, it doesn't really explain the oddities of the characters and how they differ. I mean, its a two button game so I guess they felt part of the fun is figuring it out but I find myself just sticking to Dive and Kick after failing miserable as S-Kill.

And the announcer. Ugh, irritating almost immediately. Just so repetitive. I get it, he's doing a bad accent, but it wears thin immediately and there is no way to turn him off. Asked the devs this morning on Twitter and they have no plan to patch that option in either. So, if I'm going to keep playing it I have to keep hearing that borderline racist goofy voice over and over and over, maybe ten times a round or more. Not sure its worth it.

So while I still like the core idea and enjoy playing against other people moreso than the AI, I'm still not quite getting the degree of unabashed love this is getting.

You can skip the text in story mode by mashing Dive + Kick. It is also like 3-4 text boxes max, so it takes less than a second to mash through it all.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lackingsaint: I'm not sure how you expect your criticisms of a competitive fighting game to be taken seriously when all you've been exposed to is limited playtime solely against AI opponents.

Why do I read every comment you've ever written in the voice Jeff and Ryan made when making fun of the people writing on Yelp?

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So what you're saying is that you haven't played a competitve multiplayer game online and are asking why you don't like it. Look, you are going to get bodied when you play online, whether you are a top tier player or a total scrub (I fall into the scrub category, as my 4-25 record will attest). But I'm having a blast.

You gotta just jump in and every time you lose, make sure to learn something. "Oh, I didn't realize Shoals could air cancel like that", "oh marneto can be used that way", "oh the baz gets wrecked if you can push him into the corner", etc. As long as I can come away with something then I feel like I'm not really losing.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HerbieBug

I think they made a mistake with the direction they decided on for all the characters. I watch tournaments a few times a year and play most of the games, but I don't get the reference for several characters. Redacted, Jefailey, and The Baz are very obscure (I know Baz was a Kickstarter inclusion). Mr N. and Markman are references only people involved with or closely follow the tournament scene will get. It's really weird that a game they eventually started marketing as a welcoming nod to the player unwilling or unable to put in the time to learn a more mainstream fighting game features jokes targeted almost entirely to people already involved with the fighting game scene.

This doesn't bother me so much as a fan of video games. I'm more bothered that wiser decisions made with the roster could have resulted in better sales figures. To me this is a missed opportunity.

dubradditz57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah dood, go online. Lose a bunch, who cares? To me it is fun winning or losing and just playing. Play unranked, dive and kick and go crazy. In the end if you still don't like it, thats cool, but you tried.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I wasn't feeling it either, but I only got a few matches in at EVO.

I'm actually a pretty big Fighting game fan, but I think there needs to be a good balance between required technical skill and mental competence, this just leans too heavily in one direction that it's hard for me to take it seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.