Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 12, 2011

The true sequel to 2001's Divine Divinity, Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga is a remastered package containing an updated version of Divinity II: Ego Draconis and its expansion pack, Flames of Vengeance.

How much improved is this game on 360?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I haven't played Divinity 2: Ego Draconis but form what I understand the game had quite a bit of technical problems. How is this updated version holding up for those of you who've played it? I actually think I might go out and get this game in the next few days if it's an improvement.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I have been wondering this as well. I played the Demo, and despite the fact that it was clunky as all hell, I thought it was semi-enjoyable in a "This game seems janky" kind of way. Does it get any better, or should I just wait for it to go >$20 before I take the plunge?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FritzDude

Playing both Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga, the stability, performance, graphics, animations and interface are improved on the 360. Ego Draconis was really a mess in technical proportions and going over to DKS is huge improvement. Of course, it will be a bit clunky and get low frames at times. It's funny because i've played this game a lot now (I think the clock is around 100 hours) and i haven't had one single crash or bug. Every quests works (There are tons of them) and every skill and item works. And what's most shocking is that this game is powered by Gamebryo Engine. You know, the enigne that runs Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FritzDude said:
    " Playing both Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga, the stability, performance, graphics, animations and interface are improved on the 360. Ego Draconis was really a mess in technical proportions and going over to DKS is huge improvement. Of course, it will be a bit clunky and get low frames at times. It's funny because i've played this game a lot now (I think the clock is around 100 hours) and i haven't had one single crash or bug. Every quests works (There are tons of them) and every skill and item works. And what's most shocking is that this game is powered by Gamebryo Engine. You know, the enigne that runs Oblivion and Fallout 3. "
    Do you get your battle tower in this one as well? I love games that you have a home base and what not. 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FritzDude
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Yes you do. It's the same game just improved, and in addition the expansion (Flames of vengeance) on the same disc.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FritzDude said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Yes you do. It's the same game just improved, and in addition the expansion (Flames of vengeance) on the same disc. "
    So how much is it? Sounds like my kind of game. Dragons. Your home base. BIG! 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FritzDude
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    It's cheap. Like 30-40$ cheap. Which in my country is not much, especially if you're considering you get 100+ hours of gameplay out of it. I bought the game for the same reasons: dragons and great action RPG gameplay, and this version is really great. But i can't speak for all when i say this. It's not many people that like these types of games, and it's hard and unforgiving at times and not really recommended for casual players (Not to say you are).
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FritzDude said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: It's cheap. Like 30-40$ cheap. Which in my country is not much, especially if you're considering you get 100+ hours of gameplay out of it. I bought the game for the same reasons: dragons and great action RPG gameplay, and this version is really great. But i can't speak for all when i say this. It's not many people that like these types of games, and it's hard and unforgiving at times and not really recommended for casual players (Not to say you are). "
    I loved demon souls. Is that the kind of unforving you speak of? 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    I haven't played Demon Souls so i can't compare. But lets put it this way: No checkpoints, Almost non-existent autosave, No auto scale with monsters (You can easily go into a wrong dungeon and get yourself killed) and cheap death traps. I recommend you save manually often :P
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FritzDude said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: I haven't played Demon Souls so i can't compare. But lets put it this way: No checkpoints, Almost non-existent autosave, No auto scale with monsters (You can easily go into a wrong dungeon and get yourself killed) and cheap death traps. I recommend you save manually often :P "
    So in what ways is it better? Like everything? 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

Can't comment on 360, but DKS on PC was surprisingly good.  Those that played both versions on PC say that DKS was a big improvement over the vanilla version, so it seems reasonable to assume that the same is true on 360.  It's a charming game, almost pantomimey at times, which makes a nice change.

I'd recommend DKS over Dragon Age 2, but Two Worlds 2 is better than both of them imo.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FritzDude
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    To Ego Draconis? Yes, pretty much everything. I guess there will be a QL soon of this version. There should also be a demo out, and let me tell you that the demo is long, and you can also save in it.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FritzDude said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: To Ego Draconis? Yes, pretty much everything. I guess there will be a QL soon of this version. There should also be a demo out, and let me tell you that the demo is long, and you can also save in it. "
    I might give the demo a try. I need somthing to tide me over till Skyrim. 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @FritzDude said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: I haven't played Demon Souls so i can't compare. But lets put it this way: No checkpoints, Almost non-existent autosave, No auto scale with monsters (You can easily go into a wrong dungeon and get yourself killed) and cheap death traps. I recommend you save manually often :P "
    So in what ways is it better? Like everything?  "
    I don't think they're all that comparable.  Demon Souls being unforgiving was kinda the whole point, whereas DKS is only unforgiving if you happen to wander into an area you shouldn't really be in yet.

The XP system in DKS is smart though, so you don't really ever have to grind.  If you find yourself fighting enemies a fair bit above your level, they will be appropriately difficult to kill, but you will get an XP multiplier (due to the level difference) so in extreme cases you could be levelling up after every couple of enemies until you close the level gap.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Wow I'm really loving what I'm hearing about the game. I realize that it's a huge RPG powered by Gamebryo so there are bound to be some hiccups here and there, but the fact that it's much improved over the first AND comes with the expansion, AND is cheap means it's a must buy for me! Can't wait to play it! I just hope my Wal Mart has this in... lol

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karkarov

You know there was a thread about a live showing of this game over the course of three nights about a week ago where all these questions were answered by the actual game developers and atlus themselves. That said...

This is the best version of this game that will ever be released.  Controls are solid with a couple very minor issues (jump attacks are sometimes touchy, occasional issues getting blocked by a rail or box that visually looks like you are not walking into just "close"), the graphics are the best they have ever been, may be slightly better on pc but the game does not play better on pc, bugs fixed, combat rebalanced, loot rebalanced, all dungeons hand made, diverse quests with multiple routes to completion, extreme freedom in character skill customization, includes the expansion, 100 hour run time, yada yada yada.

Comparing it to demon's souls, no point totally different games.  Demon's Souls was a game that was based around unique online functions, level design, and combat as close to "real" as you can get in a fantasy game.  This game has solid combat but it is not trying to be realistic, it has more in common with like a Gothic (only much more fluid and faster paced) and is a much more traditional RPG than Demon's Souls.  The focus is on the story, exploration, side quests, gear has just as much (if not more) bearing on success than build, etc etc.  Demon's Souls doesn't have a difficulty slider either.

Cost wise it is 39.99 and comes with the soundtrack which is actually not bad if you are into that sort of music you find in a lord of the rings or conan movie.  I plan to try to do a video review of this final version at some point but I am about 10 hours in and will say it now.  If you haven't played a previous version of this game, own a 360, and like action RPG's that are focused on the RPG but still have solid action this is a no brainer, buy it.  I seriously doubt there will be any release to compete with it directly for months and when there is it will cost more than this game does.  What else do you need to know?

Edit: I will also say that the only recent game that is really a direct competitor to this is Two Worlds 2 and Dragon Knight Saga is the better game of the two.  Two Worlds has a better spell system and multiplayer but otherwise Dragon Knight Saga is the clear winner with equal graphics mostly, more diverse character builds, vastly longer single player game, better story, and overall more to do in it's world than Two Worlds single and multiplayer combined.

Malio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Malio

This is a much improved version of the original Divinity II game, plus you get the expansion with it.   $40 is an excellent deal for a 50 hour +RPG that is really well done.   Tons of quests, items and loot.  I'm currently playing the 360 version and it's been a lot of fun so far.  Highly recommended!

leonyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By leonyne

Hey. I got this on release day (the 12th?) and have been playing it occasionally since. Frankly, it's awesome on the 360. I like the story, the setting, the world, the characters, the dialog, the loot... the list goes on. It's got great dungeons, lots of secrets, tons of loot... it's just fabulous.  I'm not sure if they all do, but the preorder copy came with the soundtrack and an art book in addition to the expansion, all for $40. A steal of a deal.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov
    @leonyne said:
    " Hey. I got this on release day (the 12th?) and have been playing it occasionally since. Frankly, it's awesome on the 360. I like the story, the setting, the world, the characters, the dialog, the loot... the list goes on. It's got great dungeons, lots of secrets, tons of loot... it's just fabulous.  I'm not sure if they all do, but the preorder copy came with the soundtrack and an art book in addition to the expansion, all for $40. A steal of a deal.

"
    All preorders got the art book, all copies have the sound track.  Larian actually said that right now buying this version is actually the only way to get the ST as well which is sort of neat.  But yeah I agree, it is a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.