Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Just Wanted to Bring Some Perspective

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zella

As there are still tons of people complaining about the Dante redesign, which I have no problem with, I just wanted to show that the previous Dante really didn't look that great either. While people are screaming that Dante(the half demon) looks emo, they neglect to see that DMC 3 Dante had god damn Justin Beiber hair and DMC 2(Yes I know it's the ugly duckling but hey it's really not that bad when it comes to gameplay) Dante looks far more emo/Marilyn Mansony, DMC 1 Dante was a fucking boss though except for the whole fill your heart with light thing. So yeah DMC Dante may look more urban and has the terrible "Dante the Demon Slayer" line but compared to past games he's really not that bad/worse.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Last time this came up I was a smartass.

I'm firmly on the "I liked DMC3 Dante better" side of the fence because the new Dante isn't going to do this:

Seriously, I fucking love that. It's so cheesy, hammy, and awesome.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@believer258 said:

I'm firmly on the "I liked DMC3 Dante better" side of the fence because the new Dante isn't going to do this:

When I first put in DMC3 I was sold on that cutscene alone. So awesome.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ketchupp

I agree that intro is happy balls.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Raven10

I agree. I never thought Dante was especially well drawn. He looked okay but I wouldn't call him one of the better character designs in a game. The new Dante at least has some personality to him (from an art standpoint) whereas the old one just always seemed pretty boring to me.

FulgoreSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FulgoreSenpai

Saying that he didn't look that great to people that actually really like the way he looks is kinda pointless. Its more of an opinion so I can't say the he doesn't look cool to you but he does to me.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By AngelN7

I'll say was one of those haters, but seeing that the game still has the gamemplay I would've wanted and that Dante is in fact still a cocky bastard I don't mind the changes anymore a lot of the footage I've seen looks like some crazy DMC , I think the series run it's course by the time of DMC4 there wasn't really all that much to improve gameplay wise Dante was getting "old" and his spotlight being taken by Nero wich was kinda like him but without the excesive cockyness so I'm totally OK with the new Dante hopefully the game will turn out great.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By Catolf
    @FulgoreSenpai said:

Saying that he didn't look that great to people that actually really like the way he looks is kinda pointless. Its more of an opinion so I can't say the he doesn't look cool to you but he does to me.

Not really.

The whole point is that everyone need's perspective. Dante's design wasn't shat out by god. It's a very kinda terrible anime design.. also.. that justin beiber hair... ughhhhhhhhh.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Cloudenvy

Yeah, I'm in the "Man, Dante's original character design was kind of awful" boat as well. Do I think the new design is great? not really, but I do think it's the more tolerable one.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TentPole

I like the new Dante alot more than the old but that probably has more to do with the writing than anything. Also he does not actually look emo at all. People saying that don't know what the fuck they are talking about. That doesn't mean you are an idiot for preferring the old design though. Just learn what the fuck emo is and stop applying it to everything.

FulgoreSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FulgoreSenpai

@Catolf said:

@FulgoreSenpai said:

Not really. The whole point is that everyone need's perspective. Dante's design wasn't shat out by god. It's a very kinda terrible anime design.. also.. that justin beiber hair... ughhhhhhhhh.

see, that is your opinion that you don't like it. Totally fine. But I like how old Dante looks better. as far as our preferences go, NEITHER OF US ARE WRONG :)

But if you believe that everyone should think that Dante looks "very kinda terrible", then there is no use in trying to explain to you why freedom of choice is a thing.

And please stop mentioning that kids name though (its like how on top comments on YT have his name everywhere, so annoying), you act like he became famous before the DMC games came to be. Its like if I was complaining that the new Dante looks like a My Chemicle Romance coked up back-up singer or just some generic guy nowadays. Which I'm fine with but, to me, don't call him Dante.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Kazona

It all comes down to one simple fact:

People fear change.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

He's always looked pretty goofy and kinda crappy. I just thought it was even goofier that he looked exactly like the Ninja Theory studio head, but that design's different now too, so I really don't care. Game looks alright, so I'll give it a shot.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot

I don't like any of the designs.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By killacam

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

When I first put in DMC3 I was sold on that cutscene alone. So awesome.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Packie

Never really cared about dante as a character so I don't really mind his re-design. I will say I liked his design in DMC 3. The right amount of goofiness and style.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By XenoNick

@believer258 said:

This is why I love DMC.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TobbRobb

Come on guys, DMC 3 Dante is so stupid that he becomes awesome. New Dante just looks boring...

It really isn't even a contest, especially considering the mood theseries shoot for, which is goofy over the top action. Don't you think new Dante feels malplaced in that caravan shootout scene?

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Catolf
    @FulgoreSenpai said:

@Catolf said:

@FulgoreSenpai said:

Not really. The whole point is that everyone need's perspective. Dante's design wasn't shat out by god. It's a very kinda terrible anime design.. also.. that justin beiber hair... ughhhhhhhhh.

see, that is your opinion that you don't like it. Totally fine. But I like how old Dante looks better. as far as our preferences go, NEITHER OF US ARE WRONG :)

But if you believe that everyone should think that Dante looks "very kinda terrible", then there is no use in trying to explain to you why freedom of choice is a thing.

And please stop mentioning that kids name though (its like how on top comments on YT have his name everywhere, so annoying), you act like he became famous before the DMC games came to be. Its like if I was complaining that the new Dante looks like a My Chemicle Romance coked up back-up singer or just some generic guy nowadays. Which I'm fine with but, to me, don't call him Dante.

I've never liked it.

But I have not, nor have I ever said that everyone should think that the design is bad. But to ME that shit isn't good.

Also.. fine you win, Beiber has Dante hair. (old Dante)

I Like the new design, is it perfect, no. Not by a long shot, but is it bishi? Nope.

(upon Ossi saying I sounded trollish with my long ass paragraph i'll edit.. no trolling. For now!)

@Kazona said:
    It all comes down to one simple fact: People fear change.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Morrow

I think I'm going to refer to them as "old Dante" and "new Dante". The old Dante design is pretty popular, there are tons of fanarts of the silver-haired version. That's just how we know him.

But I want to give new Dante a chance too. He seems to be more immature, but hell, he was naked in the trailer so I approve :D

FulgoreSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FulgoreSenpai

@Catolf: well now we half way agree. we can like whatever we want, which is what I originally said, but you got the justin beiber thing wrong.

As far as the hair style, its fine to me. Guys who have it don't really care what others guys think of it anyways ( unless you do of course).

If I have that hair and suddenly ladies are more interested in it then I would keep it. I don't think its stupid, just the person's name you are using with it. For the record I'm pretty sure he has had his hair cut for a while now so calling it a justin beiber hair cut is kinda late. ( and,as you know, a flame war starter.)

I don't like to troll or start flame wars on sites like this because I would like to believe that anybody who is into giant bomb is cool with me. I assume everybody hear listens to the bombcast and likes their humor, so I don't want to be a prick to those people. Regular-ass arguments are fine.

I just don't like hearing (or reading) people use justin beiber or lil wayne"s name in reference to something, especially in a VG forum on giant bomb. I do what I can to stay away from pop culture type stuff like that.

And again, its not that I fear change. Just call him a different name. Was it really that really that necessary to keep the name? I always felt it was to generate buzz by doing stuff that some people wouldn't like. If he was a new character I wouldn't have this argument with anyone, I just fear what they are gonna do with Vergil, unless that has already been shown.

That's all I really have left to say, I don't plan on getting this game anyways because I like old Dante better. But I wouldn't be suprised if you get a skin of it later by unlocking it or paying for it. I still wouldn't get it.

VIDEO GAMES

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaggE

As long as its fun, Dante could be a three-armed wildebeest with a cheese danish for a mouth for all I care.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catolf
    @FulgoreSenpai said:

@Catolf:

If I have that hair and suddenly ladies are more interested in it then I would keep it. I don't think its stupid, just the person's name you are using with it. For the record I'm pretty sure he has had his hair cut for a while now so calling it a justin beiber hair cut is kinda late. ( and,as you know, a flame war starter.)

I was only speaking of DMC 3. I have played 4 and know he dosen't have it. I was referring to 3. I was not saying all the Dante's had that hair, just 3, and horrid for his face.  Again, Opinions.

I just don't like hearing (or reading) people use justin beiber or lil wayne"s name in reference to something, especially in a VG forum on giant bomb. I do what I can to stay away from pop culture type stuff like that.

....Er..

And again, its not that I fear change. Just call him a different name. Was it really that really that necessary to keep the name? I always felt it was to generate buzz by doing stuff that some people wouldn't like. If he was a new character I wouldn't have this argument with anyone, I just fear what they are gonna do with Vergil, unless that has already been shown.

It has nothing to do with old Dante, it's a whole re-writing of Dante and his background, down to even what he's half of. Yes, it was, capcom came to NT for the change. It's to get new fans to a series that really hasn't been doing well for a long time. Why bother fearing what they are going to do with is what is in the end something new. They are doing nothing to the origional DMC canon. They didn't touch those games that are near and dear to your heart. This wasn't to personally piss fan's off, it's something new, it's change, try and be more open than fear what will happen next.

That's all I really have left to say, I don't plan on getting this game anyways because I like old Dante better. But I wouldn't be suprised if you get a skin of it later by unlocking it or paying for it. I still wouldn't get it.

VIDEO GAMES

That is the best thing you can do. if you don't like it, don't buy it. For me I will be buying cause it looks awesome and the first DMC game i've been interested in sense 4. And that was only because of Nero and JYB doing his voice.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Undeadpool

I never knew so many Giant Bombers were such fashion mavens. Because I look at Old VS New and see a different coat color and different hair color and style. But APPARENTLY people are going to a microscope to break down EXACTLY why THIS Dante is a wussy abomination of looks while the other one is a complete badass.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phantomzxro

I agree with the intro to DMC 3 should explain it all, but on a real note his re-design is only a small part of the problem but really the problem is he is a different person trying to be Dante. The whole game is very different while it still tries so hard to pass off like nothing has changed. You can't just completely redesign someone and just act like he is the same person.

It's like putting sonic in a Mario outfit and say hey guys its a Mario game. I know that example's a bit extreme but i still think the point is valid. This was simply a shock tactic to get exposure which is another major problem because it tells me they wanted to do a big f*** you to fans to get the press. I would say a lot more people would be cool if this was a spin off and this guy was a different person. Then he and the game would not have to live up to the Dante / DMC mantle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.