Doodle Jump Heading To Kinect

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Lima Sky’s Doodle Jump is a big deal in the iPod Touch and iPhone world. It’s been charting on the App Store since its debut, most likely because it epitomizes what people want in their 99-cent games: simple, fun, and inviting play. Soon, though, we’ll see if Doodle Jump can translate to non-mobile platforms. Lima Sky has announced that it’s doing an Xbox Live Arcade version of the title, one that will support Kinect.

In the press release, Lima neglects to mention how Doodle Jump for Kinect will work, but I think it’s safe to assume that it won’t have you jumping alongside the protagonist. I foresee Gunstringer-like couch controls that will require wrist snaps as inputs, but again, nothing has been confirmed.

As for what’s next for Doodle Jump, Lima Sky made that clear in this press release, too. An iPad version of the title is still in the works and a multiplayer update is coming to the iPod Touch and iPhone versions of the game “very soon.” There’s also mention of transmedia such as comics and toys, so look forward to those if you're really into Doodle Jump. 

Image via gsgill37's deviantart page.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Lima Sky’s Doodle Jump is a big deal in the iPod Touch and iPhone world. It’s been charting on the App Store since its debut, most likely because it epitomizes what people want in their 99-cent games: simple, fun, and inviting play. Soon, though, we’ll see if Doodle Jump can translate to non-mobile platforms. Lima Sky has announced that it’s doing an Xbox Live Arcade version of the title, one that will support Kinect.

In the press release, Lima neglects to mention how Doodle Jump for Kinect will work, but I think it’s safe to assume that it won’t have you jumping alongside the protagonist. I foresee Gunstringer-like couch controls that will require wrist snaps as inputs, but again, nothing has been confirmed.

As for what’s next for Doodle Jump, Lima Sky made that clear in this press release, too. An iPad version of the title is still in the works and a multiplayer update is coming to the iPod Touch and iPhone versions of the game “very soon.” There’s also mention of transmedia such as comics and toys, so look forward to those if you're really into Doodle Jump. 

Image via gsgill37's deviantart page.
#2 Posted by wumbo3000 (960 posts) -

Always play this on my iPhone

#3 Posted by Jumbs (244 posts) -

One of the only decent iphone games. 

But even then, does it have enough to be a full release game?

#4 Posted by Illyr (82 posts) -

Oh god

#5 Posted by Spaceyoghurt (162 posts) -
@Jumbs said:
" One of the only decent iphone games.  But even then, does it have enough to be a full release game? "
Will probably be released on Xbox Live Arcade. :)
#6 Posted by Nizzleworth (253 posts) -

actually.. sounds ok.. maybe.

#7 Posted by is343 (106 posts) -

Meh

#8 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

uh.. ok

#9 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

The title of best iPhone game means nothing to me. It might as well be the best Tiger Electronic Handheld game.

#10 Posted by red720 (28 posts) -

I would guess you just lean left and right to control this. If you have to shoot maybe you clap your hands or jump or something.

#11 Posted by Bubbly (253 posts) -

I love playing this on my itouch, but on the Kinect? I'll pass.

#12 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

This shit could work.

#13 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

what. the. fudge.

#14 Posted by TiGrOu42 (4 posts) -

nice game ^^

#15 Posted by Branthog (7577 posts) -

Looks interesting enough, for a free flash-based game to entertain myself for ten minutes. Wouldn't pay for it or install it.

#16 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Man. I remember the last time I was doodle jumped...

#17 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -

Nice, this is good news!

#18 Posted by chickdigger802 (501 posts) -

Can't wait for Comicvine to break down DoodleJump lore ;)

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

What...
#20 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

no way i will pay $10/$15 for something like this even if it supports kinect.

#21 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

It will be interesting to see how you play it and what more it has to offer.

#22 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

What?

I'll pay $5 if you can unlock Dom as a playable character.

#23 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" The title of best iPhone game means nothing to me. It might as well be the best Tiger Electronic Handheld game. "
This.

@Spaceyoghurt said:
" @Jumbs said:
" One of the only decent iphone games.  But even then, does it have enough to be a full release game? "
Will probably be released on Xbox Live Arcade. :) "

Wouldn't it be hilarious if it weren't?
#24 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

There needs to be 90 minutes of FMV explaining why...Doodle...is jumping.

There should also be music by the Black Eyed Peas and a couple of boss battles.

#25 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Doodle Jump with achievements? That's a dangerous combo.

#26 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

Looking forward to seeing how something like this plays on the kinect

#27 Posted by xyzygy (9947 posts) -

that character looks... odd.

#28 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

that's gonna play just great

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Yeah more couch compatible Kinect games please. Standing up all the time was my biggest gripe with the thing. That and the space requirements, but I've got a pretty open TV area.

#30 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

Not for 1200 points.

#31 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2373 posts) -

I guess I can't blame them if they think they'll make money on the port, but I can't imagine sitting in front of a TV for the sole purpose of playing Doodle Jump. The game is only fun as a time-killer.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

I got bored of Doodle Jump a few years ago. It's cool, but I won't be paying for it again.

#33 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

I got bored of Doodle Jump after 10 minutes.

#34 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

who the hell wants to play this in their house?

#35 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" who the hell wants to play this in their house? "  
agreed, isn't the point of these simple games it to kill time while your bored at school, work, etc.?
#36 Posted by Phobos (104 posts) -

$170 pre-order edition will include replica Doodle band-of-pants, a deck of Doodle cards, night vision goggles, and retailer specific Doodle skins.

#37 Posted by Rowr (5537 posts) -
@Jumbs said:
are you serious? 

This game sucks. There's alot of quality titles on the iphone for hardcore gamers. This is a shiity timewaster for casual gamers.
#38 Posted by Jumbs (244 posts) -
@Rowr said:
" @Jumbs said:
are you serious?  This game sucks. There's alot of quality titles on the iphone for hardcore gamers. This is a shiity timewaster for casual gamers. "
That's the point. The "Games for hardcore gamers" are all shit, with shitty controls. But this is a casual timewaster, which is all the iphone is really good for.
#39 Posted by aproposshadows (182 posts) -

Not gonna buy it, but I'm glad they're doing well it was my first iphone game when it came out 2 years ago

#40 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Jumbs said:

" @Rowr said:

" @Jumbs said:
are you serious?  This game sucks. There's alot of quality titles on the iphone for hardcore gamers. This is a shiity timewaster for casual gamers. "
That's the point. The "Games for hardcore gamers" are all shit, with shitty controls. But this is a casual timewaster, which is all the iphone is really good for. "
Yeah, but casual time wasters are only good if you're on a train or taking a shit. If you have your XBox in front of you, then I think there are better things to do with it.
#41 Posted by Rowr (5537 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Jumbs said:

" @Rowr said:

" @Jumbs said:
That's the point. The "Games for hardcore gamers" are all shit, with shitty controls. But this is a casual timewaster, which is all the iphone is really good for. "
Yeah, but casual time wasters are only good if you're on a train or taking a shit. If you have your XBox in front of you, then I think there are better things to do with it. "
Your playing the wrong games, theres plenty of quality with great controls available - getting better all the time. As far as casual time wasters you can find much better than doodle jump.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.