Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom or Wolfenstein The New Order?

• 73 results
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Poll Doom or Wolfenstein The New Order? (663 votes)

Doom 31%
    Wolfenstein 15%
    Neither 2%
    Both 27%
    Results 25%

Which do you prefer and why? Both are reboots based off of classic FPS franchises. I'm just curious.

While Wolfenstein was my 2014 GOTY, Doom surpasses it, IMHO. Wolfenstein tried to be a bit more tactical and include everything from stealth to dual wielding shotguns to aim down sights aiming. Looking back, it was probably a bit too much to handle and I'd much prefer if the game were a bit more focused, but it's still a great game.

Doom knows what it is and is more confident. I prefer games that stick to one playstyle and do it well, rather than being a jack of all trades. Both have their place; Wolfenstein has a more human story to tell, while Doom's story is more there for the player to roll their eyes at. One is more tactical, one is more bombastic.

Whatdoyathink?

• 
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think Doom excels more at what it wants to do than New Order, but both are excellent.

Right now I prefer Doom personally. The fucking rush, man

climbedbritain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've told my friends who have played neither that they should pick up and play Wolf first simply because it's the older of the two. Runs on older hardware, and can be purchased cheaper. If they like it and find themselves wanting more FPS action, move on to Doom.

Wolf was far and away my favourite game of 2014 and the best FPS I had played in years. I liked Doom even more.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

before i would have said wolf for story doom for

gameplay, but after sitting on the doom story for a week or so i think it's doom for both

both games end tremendously though and are fantastic

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By petethepanda

Both. While the original two aren't very far removed from each other, I think they made the right call in seeing that Wolf had the potential for some actual storytelling while Doom just had to be some fuckin' Doom-ass Doom. I love both for different reasons.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wolfenstein is a great game, with some pretty damn good level design and great story and characters, but I prefer DOOM by a fair margin thanks to its combat (that is just the most pure fun I've had with an FPS) and levels with lots of nooks and crannies to explore with a great map/compass to help the process.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Quipido

I still think Wolfenstein aiming was busted on controller (played PS4), there was no way to make aiming on both axis the same speed, it always was way slower on the horizontal for some reason now matter how I tweaked the settings. I struggled with it for the entire duration of the game and I am shocked how seemingly no one else had a problem with it. Otherwise amazing game. Doom is the oposite: the best FPS controls in a while! Both great, Doom wins for me because it's a joy to play, not a struggle.

mrnewgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mrnewgamer

Though DOOM is an awesome game, I much prefer Wolfenstein. Not a huge fan of quick twitch, mindless shooting games. I like the alternate reality and sort of tactical feel that Wolfenstein offers.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't do Wolfenstein. The story seemed cool and the set up was neat, but I actively disliked how it felt to shoot/control. I can't tell you why exactly, it just put me off the game every time I tried to keep going.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By civid

Wolfenstein is Predator and Doom is Commando. Both are great but I prefer that Doom and Commando know exactly what they are and revel in it.

I feel like Wolfenstein is The Terminator to DOOM's Terminator 2. DOOM is more fun, a lot more polished and in constant motion, whereas Wolfenstein is more grounded, dirty and gritty. I guess I prefer DOOM, if I had to choose but I never played The New Order on modern consoles so the comparasion isn't entirely fair.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wolfenstein TNO is better in every conceivable way.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I can't get into Doom at all. Maybe because I never had a metal stage in my life.

I think Wolfenstein is very much the better game, but I think I'm in the vast minority. Nerds like metal.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's both. They aren't trying to be the same game. Wolfenstein has a stealth system that is fun to engage with but also gives you the option to go all out and doesn't overly punish you if you get spotted. It also does quiet really well and has solid level design.

Doom is all about speed and flow. In doom there is an almost zen like state I can reach when I am really on during an encounter. It also has well designed levels and even surprisingly fun boss fights.

Both games deserve credit for pushing shooters that aren't just corridors of shooting galleries.

Ianslamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think DOOM is the better overall FPS, but that doesn't mean TNO doesn't have a place. I think it does things pretty well that DOOM doesn't, mainly a better story and I think I liked the weapon progression better? I would have to go back and look at it to confirm. Also, Wolfenstein tends to be a slower paced game whereas DOOM is just action, all the time, forever and ever action.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I hadn't played DOOM until just recently but I think it is a much, much better game than Wolfenstein. It plays way better (and stays really true to the original), looks better, does better with story, has better weapons, more interesting upgrades.

This is coming from someone who really doesn't get why people like Wolfenstein much though. It's an okay game I think.

FloppySnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels like choosing between my favourite ice creams. I did forget that one of the flavours existed though, so I'll get back to you after I replay 'STEIN.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66  Edited By Nodima

Having finally downloaded my copy of Wolfenstein I bought on sale maybe around this time last year, I have to say it's a bit amazing to me how much praise this game got. It feels sloppy in the ways a lot of eastern European games do (it reminds me of The Witcher 3 in the way a lot of its cutscenes are shot and how the game treats transitions from game to video) and the story, at least to the half way point I'm at, is pretty generic and stupid. On those fronts it is kind of a lovely achievement, the way it balances a lot of half-assed narrative and general polish elements with an absurd twist on a mostly rational concept, weapons that feel real good and a stealth system that's as unnecessary as it is kind of fun to play around with. Plus, double fisting everything.

That said, playing Wolfenstein after DOOM, it's also far too easy to notice all the things the primary id team learned from Machine Games; the Mick Gordon soundtrack has a far more specific aesthetic, the gunplay feels more consequential, the durability of the enemies makes more contextual sense, the movement feels better, the map traversal and hidden goodies portion feels more necessary to balance the adrenaline rush of the primary gameplay (not to mention the map is way easier to read in DOOM, and pressing a button to pick ammo, health, etc. up in Wolfenstein feels like they missed the point tremendously) and the writers are far more aware of how stupid their story is and play with it in that way, while the Wolfenstein guys seem to be constantly trying to write themselves out of silliness and coming off even more silly as a result (my least favorite element of this trend: B.J.'s constant mumbling under his breath, which rather than lend gravitas to situations forced me to turn on subtitles because it is horribly mixed with the rest of the game).

Wolfenstein is a fun, b-tier game in the vein of something like Binary Domain, to me. I can't say for certain how much of that reception is colored by playing it after DOOM, but I have to imagine not much: my brain keeps comparing it to Bioshock Infinite both graphically and presentation wise, which makes sense considering this game came out a little over a year later. I highly preferred that game. It's about even with DOOM, two of my favorite FPS campaigns in a long, long time, if not up high on my all-time list.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM did nothing for me, although I recognise it's a very competent game in its genre.

I absolutely loved Wolfenstein, so my vote definitely goes to it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like both, they're very different, you do fight nazis on the moon in Wolfenstein though. That might outdo any amount of hell demons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a way better time with Wolfenstein and I think it's a better game in just about every way. Wolfenstein made me like a meathead who is more than just that and that says a lot. Even the gameplay was more enjoyable because it had more variety than rip-and-tear 24/7.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When I was playing Wolfenstein The New Order I got stuck somewhere where multiple enemies stormed into a room while I had no ammo. It auto-saved right there as well. I know that I could go a save back or replay the level, but I never got back to the game because of it. :(

Loved Doom. :)

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein is fun and I love killing Nazis, but Doom felt better to play. There are moments in Wolfenstein where the game felt super easy and then moments where I felt like I had to kill enemies in a specific way or it'd chew me up. Everything in Doom felt consistent and simple. I loved the story and throwing knives at ankles to stealth kill, but the gameplay, especially after playing Doom, felt off. If the rumors of another Wolfenstein coming are true, I hope they take Doom's mechanics.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably am going to download my copy of New Order and play today, been on my mind. still a little soon, but I have been thinking of Doom. Maybe 6 months from now.

So a tie. Wasn't there some cross talk between the developers?

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Both obviously, they are both awesome and fun.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nodima: I played Wolfenstein when it came out and I think you summed up things very well for me. The stealth was not fun and it was just not a strong package throughout like DOOM was to me. Any grim/emotional tone they struck was always goofy to me. I just got to DOOM last month and it was fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.