Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Beginner

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So I have never played any of the MOBA games but it's something I would like to get into. I Youtubed a match to see the game in action and I had no fucking idea what was going on. The guy who made the Video was trying to explain it but he sort of got off track and started using terms that were completely foreign to me. Also some of the commenters on his video said he had no idea what he was doing, despite the fact that his team won. Can someone point me to a video, or videos, that explain how to play MOBAs, in particularly DOTA 2. Thanks in advance.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

There's a lot to learn that can't get explained in a video, which you will just have to learn by yourself by playing. It will likely take around 100 games until you are at a level where you are not a complete embarrasment - maybe only 50-70 if you are playing with capable friends who can explain stuff to you.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gosukiller

@mikey87144: The League of Legends tutorial is pretty good in explaining lots of MOBA stuff.

Most of the terms we have is self explanitory tho, except for abbreviations. Now that I'm typing this anyway, I'll give a rundown of a few terms we use.

The goal of the game = It's 5 players, each using 1 hero, VS 5 enemies with their own heroes. Your heroes are supported by units that are on a lane and automatically attack anything in their sight untill they are killed.

Your goal through the entire game is too kill towers. Each killed tower will make the next tower on that lane vulnerable to attack. Once all towers on a single lane are down, you have to go for the unit-producing buildings that are being protected by the final tower of that lane. Once those buildings are down, the end of the game is in sight. Your side will get super-units, which are just stronger versions of the normal units that run down the lanes.

Now that you are at the end-game, your final target will get in sight, the enemy teams' main building. It's often represented by a big Tree of Eye of Sauron looking tower. Once that thing is down, the game is over and you win.

Of course, your opponents will be going for the same target, but on your side. This is the basic goal of the game.

Agi, Str and Int = MOBA heroes can be divided into three classes. Agility based, strength based and intelligence based. Although it's not a hard and fast rule, usually STR heroes are tanks and have high health, AGI heroes are damage dealers and are generally quick moving and INT heroes are magic support heroes. Remember that this is not always applicable, but for the sake of explaining the basics it will do.

TOP, BOT, MID = The lanes of the game. TOP means the the upper lane, MID the middle one and BOT the bottom one. The middle lane is meant for 1 player, the top and bottom one for teams of 2.

Going Jungle = As a jungler, instead of fighting inside your lane like normally, you earn gold and experience by going after the neutral monsters in the forrest (aka jungle). The reason some people do this is that he can roam around freely on the map, giving him the oppertunity to make suprise-attacks on the enemy. Another reason to do this is the fact that, because he is not in a lane, a friendly player has a lane all to himself. This means that that player gets all of the experience and gold for himself, but also has the risk of being overwhelmed because he is alone.

MIA, MISS, "-1" = When an enemy hero leaves your lane, it's a custom to call this out to your teammates. It's not a rule, but your teammates will appriciate you for it. Since typing takes time, we use abbreviations, but they all mean the same thing. I personally like to say "miss top" or "miss 2 bot". This means respectively "The hero that is in top lane isn't there right now, beware of an ambush." and "There are two heroes missing in the bottom lane, beware of ambush.". Some other players like to say MIA (missing in action) or -1 (minus 1).

The reason for doing this is that, when you are concentrating on your fight, you lose track of the game as a whole. This means that when an enemy hero (or 2) suddenly turns up at your lane, making it a 3vs2 or 2vs1 fight, you will most assuredly die. Since dying is bad for the entire team, it's vital that you help your teammates out by telling your allies in the chat.

Carry = A carry is a hero or player that carries his team to victory. It's a term that can apply to a really good player, but can also be applied to a hero that becomes exceedingly better the longer that a match goes on. In the original DOTA, there were the Troll and Faceless Void heroes that became so good at the end of a game (when played correctly), they are generally considered the shining example of "carry heroes".

This is all just from the top of my head. I really recommend the LoL tutorial for the real basics. I imagine that DOTA 2, when finished, will have a very good tutorial of it's own.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jokers_Wild

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.